“Mostly positive with some flaws”

Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I liked a lot of things about this property:
New construction (2008 I believe).
One of the nicest quality rooms I've ever stayed at - full dining room table, Jacuzzi, two balconies, and everything worked. Nothing was burned, torn, worn, etc.
Phenomenal ocean view.

Some things that bothered me:
You can't get a coffee in the place. It's like they don't have a restaurant.
They really squeeze you for internet access at $15/day. I think it should be included.
They really push the time share business to a fault. I'm a paying customer, leave me be!
They play music at the pool bar and muzak everywhere else. I want some quiet by the pool, not competing noise!
The kids were kind of annoying with a lot of screaming and splashing.
Casa Dorado allows cruise ship passengers to use the pool after a time share presentation. Yuck. "Real" guests started referring to these cheap deal hunters as ship rats.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank mvankampen
Write a ReviewReviews (2,069)

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We recently returned to Casa Dorada after having stayed there previously, and were joined by friends staying there for the first time, in another suite. Overall it is still a very nice property, and the staff are extremely nice, but we noticed some negatives from our previous trip: 1) Our room view was not as nice (obstructed view toward Lands End) as the previous trip, although our friends did have a much nicer view from their room, despite them booking for less money than what we paid. 2) The room smelled a bit "mildewey" upon check-in - last time it was immaculate. 3) The shower water pressure was low (lower than last time), and several mornings we had to wait up to 10 minutes for hot water. 4) Our microwave did not work, and was not repaired/replaced while we were there, despite reporting it. 5) Most importantly, on our last stay when we made it clear on day 1 that we were not interested in buying a timeshare, we were left alone (thank you!) for the rest of our stay. This time, we were re-approached pretty much every single day, despite consistently saying "no". This is still a very nice operation and resort, with a fabulous staff, but after being excited to come back there after our previous stay, I think that I'll be looking at different options for our next visit.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the right side of the resort, or especially on the lower floors there - the view i...
1  Thank Ken S
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding this last weekend (October 27th, 2012). We got the junior suite, as we were only staying two nights. After a 2 hour drive from the airport due to traffic, I was in a horrible mood. But, as we were checking in they offered us drinks and I immediately started to feel better. Then, we get to our room. The junior suite is very similar to a "normal" hotel room, but it did have a kitchenette. It was not big. BUT, I opened the door and we had an unobstructed view of the ocean and beaches - nothing can beat that :)

The staff were friendly and not pushy towards us. The beach had it's own reserved area and the pools were both great.

It was a quick trip, but I'd really like to go back.

Room Tip: I believe you can get either an ocean view or a pool view. Rooms higher up had better views. We we...
2  Thank miamitola
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Disappointed with our timeshare accommodation next door we decided to bite the bullet and move hotels. We researched and looked at a few but availability was the key here so we were delighted that Casa Dorada could accommodate us for 4 of our seven days. We had a delightful, clean contemporary room with a kitchenette and living area over looking the beautiful pool. The staff here are so nice and helpful and provided you make it very clear you are not interested in buying a timeshare! The pool was lovely overlooking the sea and from snacks to dinner all food we had here was of a good standard. The key to this gem of a hotel is its location..right on the beach you can swim in, walking distance to the marina and surrounded by several good restaurants and bars. It was so nice to be able to walk out at night and not to have to get in a taxi. If we return to Cabo this will be our first choice of hotel to stay in!

4  Thank Marbs2011
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Upon arrival was upgraded to two bedroom suite. Beautiful views! People were friendly and helpful. All staff was attentive. The only problem I had was the time share people. I knew that they would be approaching me here from other tripadvisor reviews. However, the pressure that they try to place on you to purchase a time share is crazy. I tried to explain to them that I would think over the information they presented, but they just switched me to another person until i finally said ENOUGH! I told them I was done with the presentation, I had said no twice and if I had to say no again i was going to become very angry. At this point the presentation concluded and I went on to thoroughly enjoy my time here. The room service was fast and the food was great. I had the salmon wrap and it was excellant. I recommend you bring coffee with you as this can be quite costly..$11.00 for a pot. The pools were well taken care of. I did not eat at the 12 tribes rest. but this was do to time as there was so many excellant places to eat. Th ehighlight food wise was the place directly across the street. I had the tuna tartar..by far the best i have ever had. The B lounge service was vey slow but drinks were good. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a great vacation. The water was perfect, lots of activities, and food was incredible.

Room Tip: bring your own coffee, try to green juice in the rest. on the water you will love it!
3  Thank jspot27
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Casa Dorada is the only place to stay in Cabo! This was our 3rd year in a row visiting this resort. The accomodations are fantastic! The views are amazing and the location could not be better as you have a swimable beach and can walk to town. The service is always impeccable and very friendly. We will definitely be back again!

Room Tip: Ask to be on the 3rd floor or above for the best views.
2  Thank Adrienne W
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Cabo is a great place to vacation. This is our 2nd time there, both times staying at Casa Dorada at Mendano Beach. Each room has a breath taking view of the Sea of Cortex and El Arco. The location is great since you are in walking distance to the Marina and downtown.
This time we used Victor's Cabo Transortation to go from the airport and back again. It included one stop (we went to Walmart) and beverages. We were happy with the service and will use them again.
Most days we sat at the pool, but we did walk to the beach and go in the water. The water was warm and calm, just awesome!
The food we ordered at the pool was good, but we also took a few days to eat lunch at other places. The Office and Mango Deck are directly behind the resort. They are both on the beach and have good food. The Office is quiet, most tables in the sand. The Mango Deck has tables inside and on the beach. This scene is more, spring break, party atmosphere. It is a good time and very entertaining.
My husband and I both got massages at the Spa, which is very nice. Mine was by Gerry, he did a great job. We used the spa last time and were very happy with the treatments.
As far as dinners, we went to a few restaurants, all in walking distance except one. Since we were there during hurricane Paul, we needed to eat inside one night. We walked across the street to Equina. The food was very good, little pricey, but they do have pizzas if you want to spend a little less. We went to dinner at Alexander's, in the marina. This was our second time here, food is very good. We also tried La Golondrina, excellent! We will go back there. The place was very pretty. The owner walks around and makes sure her guests are happy. She was very nice and appreciated feedback. Just make sure you are hungry, there is no shortage of food at this restaurant! We went to El Farallon for our Anniversary. This was our most expensive meal of the trip. The view is awesome, up on a cliff, over looking the pacific. The restaurant is in a very pretty resort. . The food was good, we had a nice evening and they gave us complimentary dessert!!
One afternoon we walked and ended up at the Shrimp Factory for lunch. It is downtown, on a corner. What a great find. The manager, Melissa was super sweet and cared that her customers were happy. The food and drinks were good and it is a place we would definitely go back to.
On a side note, the first time we were in Cabo was January. It is whale season at that time of year and whale watching is something that I highly recommend!!

Room Tip: we have been on the 4th floor and the 6th, both great views. we have a full kitchen, livining room...
3  Thank tweetMaryland