“A Wonderful All Inclusive!”
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Ranked #42 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed April 14, 2009

After reading reviews for weeks, we decided that this resort seemed to offer everything we were looking for for the price that we were wanting to pay.
We went for 1 week with another couple and are in our late twenties to late thirties and are not rowdy partiers.
Food: We read so many reviews that it seemed as though it was not worth getting up to the desk by 7am to make reservations for the A la Cartes, as discovered last year at another all inclusive that the arrangements for these are always a nightmare and not worth the hassle. We decided to forego this option and head to the buffet and were SO glad we did. The food was VERY good and offered tonnes of selection. Anyone who complains about not having variety etc is WAY too picky to be at an all inclusive. Each night they had the basics.. mexican items, some pasta, salad bar etc, and then mixed it up with nightly specials.. jambalaya, sushi, roast beef, lamb... always something different and loads of choices. Breakfast offered all sorts of options from smoothies and yummy oatmeal, to the good old bacon eggs (cooked all sorts of different ways) and sausage etc... plus of course fruit, pastries etc.
Overall, I would never have expected food of this quality in an all inclusive and was VERY happy (and gained weight to prove it).
Grounds: The grounds were beautiful and way more established than you would expect for a newer resort. There was a pool for every crowd.. the first infinity pool/swim up bar is the younger crowd, and the far one more relaxed and quiet. The middle one which is the largest mostly only had kids as there is no bar at it. The middle pool in the centre courtyard of the resort is where all the daily activities take place and is alot busier and noisier as well, but also a nice place to hang out and closer to most buildings.
Rooms: We stayed in building #3 which was the PERFECT location.. close to everything!
My only complaint about the room is one that I have heard from many others too... the buildings are noisy!! The halls seem to echo the noise right into the rooms, so when a group of partiers would return to their room (or the guy trying to kick his way into his room at 4am) you would not miss a word of it! Also, if you like to siesta, being in a room facing the courtyard pools can make it hard because of the activities etc going on there.. lots of music etc.
Entertainment: The entertainment staff are great, they always have things going on in the centre courtyard pool during the day for those who are into that kind of thing, and at night there is always a show... grease, mama mia etc... they were kind of cute and something to do in the evening.. the only part I didn't like is that they start the evening with the kids stuff which is VERY VERY repetitive!!!!
Beach: The beach has very coarse sand which I found to be hard on my feet, but very clean and well kept. You can take a water taxi over to lovers and divorce beach which is a nice little trip... just dont swim on divorce beach unless you have a death wish!
Service: The service was far better than I have received in the past... everyone was very friendly and hardworking!!
Overall: I would definitely recommend this resort! It seemed to have something for everyone and offered VERY good value for the price!.

5  Thank lovethatvitamind

Reviewed April 14, 2009

My wife and I and another couple that we are great friends with stayed at the Riu Santa Fe from April 2-11. We are in our late 20's/early 30's.

We stayed in building 7 which was the building closest to the ocean and the only one with an elevator. We didn't have oceanview but rather a gardenview which was fine for us. I had a sprained ankle so asked for a building with an elevator and they kindly made the switch for us and our friends.

Building 7 is about a 5-8 minute walk to the main buffet building at the front of the resort. It was a bit far with the cane and ankle but, I think its ridiculous to complain about a resort being too big! The bigger the more pools,bars & restaurants. The Riu Santa Fe is the biggest RIU in the world!! With over 900 rooms its a huge place. 7 buildings to stay in, 3 sweet pools (2 infinity pools & 2 swim-up bars)

If you wanna be central to the resort stay in building # 3. Close to beach, building #7. If you want to make an al' acarte reservation, which we never did, you have to book at your front desk between 7am-9am.

We did get tired of the buffet but that is the case at all buffets! It was the one of best buffets ive ate at in my life, but after about 4-5 days we got a little tired of it, so started eating in town which is only a $10 cab or $1 bus ride away or a 30 minute beach walk. Breakfast was always good though!

Pool bars are open from 10am-6pm. Then 2 bars by the main buffet are open from 6pm-12am. The sports bar is 24 hours a day with gross sandwiches and burgers in the fridge. The best pool bar is the middle pool one by building 3 and Miguel & Alan rock it out!!! They are awesome bartenders!! Ask them for a "Badboy" drink, very good!!!!!

Main buffet building serves full breaky from 6am-1030am. Then the middle restaurant by pool/building 3 serve late break till noon. Then lunch is in 3 buildings everyday.

There were lots of people and we have an AMAZING TIME!!! There wasnt too many drunk idiots as some have said but actually we met great people everyday!! I would say it was about 50-60% Canadians which was great and the rest were from Wisconsin, strange mix, I know.

They only have Dos Equis XX beer which is my favorite Mexican beer so I was happy. They stock your mini-fridge every other day but if you want extras in the bottle, which we did, find the beer guys and tip them 2-4$ and they will give you as much as you want. We did that a few times so we always had bottled Dos Equis anytime we wanted one,2,3,10 :)

The RIU chain cannot be outdone in terms of cleanliness!! You can eat of the floors!! Very clean!!! Very friendly!!! Sometimes when you ask for stuff from front desk you have to call back a few times and be persistent, but its a HUGE resort, so i tired to have understanding. There are digital safes in the room which you set a code on your first day.

My 2 complaints which bugged me was the showers as they are very narrow and its hard to stand in them without your feet being tilted inwards, but i dealt with it. The main one though is the ocean there as you CANNOT swim! Please do not attempt to swim there!! WE saw a few people almost drown while we were there and the red flags, which mean "no swimming" are always up!!! If you wanna swim take the "Santa Marina Beach tour" WE loved it! Took a catamaran boat and saw whales on the way and they got to snorkel/swim there for about 90 minutes. Loved it, was $50 per person through the expedia/orbitz guy in lobby (ricardo..great guy!!)

The quad tour to desert/beach was fun too! It was a 4 hour quad trip partially guided but got to spend half out time on our own too which was nice!! Quadded in desert and on beach!

The lovers beach is OVERATED!! Dangerous getting of the boats there. Saw one lady get hit by boat bad and another boat almost flipped over due to water in boat. It was like a can of sardines with all the cheap 'glass bottom boats' there. We preferred the boat ride then the beach..although its beautiful scenery it was packed with people to!

Very clean rooms!!!

I HIGHLY reccomnmend the Riu Santa Fe!! I would recomend it to all my family & friends.
GREAT TIME!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank iggyalltheway
Reviewed April 14, 2009

First, I would like to say that some people are so picky and unappreciative of all the hard work that is put into maintaining this beautiful hotel!!!! My husband and I stayed at the Riu Santa Fe from April 2nd to April 9th, and found it to be a very accommodating and beautiful place.
The resort is big. A little walking doesn't hurt anybody, actually some of you who complain about walking should get on a treadmill once in a while. There are people maintaining the cleanliness of the pools and grounds ALL the time! The main pool located at building 7 was gorgeous and lively, so if you didn't like the partiers there, you could have gone to another pool for rest and relaxation. Although I would not recommend this hotel for families with young children for two reasons: 1. it is not a swimmable beach for the young, and 2. this seems to be a hotel catered to more of an adult crowd.
Los Cabos in general has much to offer!!! There is something to do here for everyone in just a short trip. The views are breathtaking. There are plenty of golf courses, excursions including whale watching, sunset cruises, the famous Lover's/Divorce beach, lots of wildlife in the area to be seen in their natural and undisturbed habitat. The town is amazing packed with lively bars, shops, and nite clubs. Many different beach activities for those who can't sit still. You can swim on the beach a little ways down from the Riu at Medano beach.
The food is pretty good. I found the buffet to be the best, plentiful, and always something good to choose from there. My personal favourite was the made-to-order sushi, just pick your own contents of the roll and it was rolled for you! mmmmmmmm. I agree that some of the a la carte were not up to standards and not what we are all used to, but nevertheless, I think you'd have to be pretty damn picky and negative not to find something to eat. By no means will you starve at this resort. And I never found dirty lettuce at this resort like some review had described. Breakfast was definitely my favourite meal. Everything that you could want in a breakfast is there, eggs, made to order omelettes, pancakes, waffles, cereals, fruit, smoothies, bread, toast, bacon, breakfast sausage, etc. Lunch usually included fish, chicken, burgers, hot dogs, salad bar, yummy chips, salsa , guacamole, cheeses, buns, cold meats, pasta salads, fries, potatoes, fruit and etc. Dinner at the buffet usually included chicken, various types usually, as well as various types of fish, prime rib, roast beef, shrimp, potatoes, pasta, chips and salsa, and guacamole, stir fry, and etc.
The rooms are nice, comfy beds. We didn't really have a big problem with the noise, and we were in party building 7. Our first room is not what we requested so we went down and asked to be moved and were accommodated quite rapidly. Our second, in which we stayed for the rest of our trip, was big, great big balcony with great views. The rooms were clean and modern looking. I do agree about the absence of a bathroom vent though. It would have been nice to have but I'm not much of a complainer so it didn't ruin my stay by any means.
The views from the Riu Santa Fe are incredible, breathtaking actually. Drinks are great!!!!!! And you really can't beat the amazing weather in Cabos, beautiful view, good food, plentiful drinks, and plenty of room at the Riu SantaFe. Isn't this the idea of a great vacation. I would say not much to complain about.
Note: 1. Travellers who want to be catered to by hand and foot...pay the few thousand dollars and get it! By no means did you pay that much for your trip and should be ready for minor disappointments...and I do mean MINOR, cause that seems to be what people make a big deal out of!
2. Travellers who complain about the beach vendors trying to make a living- seriously say no and they don't bother you. AND what's the big deal, you are in their country and they are trying to make a living. They do not harass you, they simply ask, how else are they to make money. Those of you who have a problem with this, spend the big bucks and go somewhere else!!! Even then you'll find the same thing!
3. Travellers who complain about other people enjoying their trip--go somewhere else, read the reviews! Go somewhere secluded, or a not so popular resort! My husband and I had a great time, and when it got rowdy at the beach bar pool with teenie boppers, we went to another location at the resort-problem solved!
4. Travellers who complain about the food--did you ever think that you are the most arrogant people in the world, cause we actually have food to eat. Some of these people do not eat the plentiful foods that you eat on vacation so be HAPPY! Not everyone is as fortunate as you are, and especially don't have the luxury in going on vacations! Suck it up!
5. Be courteous and respectful to the workers and you will get the same in return. I found travellers to be quite rude and loud with the workers and I thought this was rude and very disrespectful, and perhaps the reason why they weren't getting what they wanted!

All in all, this was a fab resort, some very minor issues but nonetheless we had a great time and would come back in a heartbeat! In fact I wish I was there now!

4  Thank kickstandHamilton
Reviewed April 13, 2009

My husband of 26 years and myself went from April 2-April 9, 2009. Our intentions, as usual, are to get some sun, relax and enjoy the scenery which is exactly what we did. San Lucas is only a 15 minute ride via the local bus which is the only way to go. A taxi would cost you $8- $10. Visiting the marina, mall and local vendors is definitely something you should plan. Taking a water taxi to Lover's Beach is also a great experience. The whales are pretty well gone now so you will have to wait until early next year to see them. Everything is pesos or american dollar.
Early April is still spring break in the States so keep in mind there are some party people around. No big deal.
The food was good. You did get bored of the same thing after a few days but I get sick and tired at home with making the same things. Just move to the other end of the buffet to find different delectables. My husband found the food not real hot, which is not the way he likes it, so he would wait until a new tray came out. I read every review before we went so there was no disappointment in anything.
You can go on any holiday and find the worst in things but we go to find the best and that is exactly what we did. It was a great holiday. We came home with great tans, lots of spectacular pictures and a smile that will be on our faces until we get a chance to rekindle again.

4  Thank momtherunner
Reviewed April 13, 2009

My husband and I were at the Riu Santa Fe from April 4th to 9th. We are in our early 30's. Once we arrived, we were asked to upgrade to the Riu Palace. We dedcided to decline the offer because we really loved the pools and the grounds and the young crowd (as opposed to the older crowd at the Palace). The reservation system for dinner is a joke. We could not eat in the restaurants on the first night because we did not have reservation. We were urged to line up at 7am to make reservations for the rest of the week, however, when we did that, we were only allowed to make reservations for two nights. The funny thing is when you arrive at the restaurant, its EMPTY- why would you need reservations? The also don't allow you to eat even though there is no one in the place! That was frustrating, but what was even more frustrating was how aweful the food was once you got there! We have been to other all inclusive Riu hotels in Mexico, and this was the worst when it comes to food. Everything we ate was disgusting. The breakfast was alright, but nothing too exciting. For 5 days, we had guacamole, chips, and ice cream for lunch because we could not swollen the nastly pizza, hot dogs wrapped in bacon, dirty lettuce, or bland food. Dinner was a disaster each night. The steakhouse was a joke and the asian restaurant (buffet style also) was even worse. We ended up going into town, spending $20 per night on taxi, just to eat some decent food for dinner each night. This was very disappointing considering that we paid for an all inclusive hotel so we woudn't have to do that!

Aside from the food, the cleanliness of the hotel was average. The rooms were cleaned each day, but we pulled off the pillow cases and threw them on the floor so the maid would replace them and she didn't. she just put them back on the pillow, even though they were clearly dirty. Also, the bathrooms have no ventilation. If you have to do #2 in the toilet ----- make sure to have a face mask on! The humidity from the water and the mustiness of the room, were not a good combination! That smell was in all the bathroom throughout the hotel!

There was no shortage of pools. There were 3 nice pools on the oceanfront and a few others in the middle of the ground not near the ocean. The crowd was very young and load and many many drunk folks in the pool, which got to be pretty annoying at times, especially, when like us, you were there to relax and get a tan as opposed to get drunk at 10 am.

The sand area was very coarse and unwalkable. You would have to go near the shoreline to find smooth side, but then you are walking on a very steep angle and hurt your ankles and legs. The beach is unswimmable. Also, watch out of the local vendors on the beach who try to sell you everything from sunglasses, tattoos and drugs!

Luckily however, even when we went into town, we did not exeperience any safety issues or see any violence, gangs or anything threatening like you have been hearing about on the news.

3  Thank skalexander75
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We bought all inclusive Riu Santa Fe for 2 weeks but stayed there only for 4 days and then upgraded to Riu Palace. A few points of Santa Fe vs. Palace:

1. Santa Fe has 902 rooms; Palace – 642. However, Santa Fe has approx. three times shorter shoreline than the Palace. Overall the property of the Palace appears to be much bigger with much lower density, which allows much more space between loungers on the beach, in the pool and in any restaurant.

2. Santa Fe is cheaper and thus caters to a more economic crowd (mostly young people who like to “burn” their vacations in parties, etc.). Palace’s guests are quieter more refined and more focused on relaxing. Because Santa Fe caters to “go go” type of crowd, the motorized water sports are right on the beach on Santa Fe which overtakes the whole Santa Fe beach not allowing space for swimming. I was twice almost overrun by jet ski. When I went to complain to the management, they said that the hotel does not recommend swim in the ocean. It is true, they do not recommend to swim, but due to the waives! They totally ignore the fact that motorized sports endanger lives of those people who choose to swim. Also, because of the motorized sports (and the parting overly drinking youngsters by the pool), noise level is very high at Santa Fe. Please note that I do like jet skis myself but I believe such should have designated areas, not where people swim. You will not find any of such nonsense in Palace.

3. When I wanted to use a Jacuzzi in the spa of Santa Fe after a treatment in the spa, I found two spa Jacuzzis occupied solid by drinking, smoking and swearing teenagers (in the spa!), so of course, I could not use it. You will not find such nonsense in Palace.

4. The food is almost the same, however, the Palace provided a few dishes/products that Santa Fe does not have (such a smokes salmon, etc., the more expensive options). If you are in Palace, you can eat in both, Palace and Santa Fe. However, if you are in Santa Fe, you can eat only in Santa Fe.

Because of the above, I would not go to Santa Fe anymore, but I would go back to Palace.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CATFLY
Reviewed April 10, 2009

My husband and I and our 6 year old son stayed for 2 weeks March 23 to April 6, 2009. This is the 6th all-inclusive resort we have stayed at, and the 5th one in Mexico.

The place is very clean and staff friendly. I am an experienced cook and food critic and will say that the food, for the most part, is very good at the buffet. I wouldn't worry about getting into the a la carte reservation restaurants unless you just want a change to being served at the table. We did eat at the steak restaurant one night - the rib eye was good, but very thin, though I knew not to expect the steak we are used to. We had a second reservation for the steak restaurant, but decided to cancel it as we all enjoyed the variety at the buffet and the flexibility. The roast leg of lamb in the buffet was exceptional the 2 nights it was offered. Other mains at the buffet that were well above average were the roast turkey and whole rib eye (one serving was ever so tender, when we went for seconds it was tougher). BBQ ribs (when done on the outdoor grills as you walk into the buffet restaurant) were great, and always terrific salsa and guacamole. The chick pea soup and wild mushroom soup were also exceptional. Large array of everything. Just don't try and eat everything at every meal and you won't be disappointed. Best desserts were the coconut and chocolate ice creams and the fresh fruit, and one night exceptional hazelnut shortbread-like cookies. Liked the self serve espresso machine.

We stayed in building 3, which was quite central. Initially we were disappointed not to be in building 7, but later realized we were at the best place for us. The behaviour and drunkeness around building 7 and all the pools there was unlike any other resort we have been at (as I said, this was our 6th all-inclusive). This is where the cosmetically enhanced hung out, the college falling-down-drunk crowd was, the cougars making fools of themselves, and cursing, carousing crazies etc all were. People were throwing up and peeing themselves in their loungers. Have never seen anything like it. No respect for others and no change in their behaviour or foul language if there were children walking by. Others who stayed in the building said they were often woken at night and security had to be called for the late night revellers. So we avoided this area for the most part, except for early morning or very late in the pm (when the party crowd was not up yet or mostly gone) when we would pass through to walk on the beach so our son could play in the sand. We stayed around the pool across from building 3, and there were always lots of chairs (we never went out early to save chairs), and we were close to lunch and bathrooms. Other people with young kids (and there were not that many) all hung out around the pool at bldg 3, as well as the "quiet" folks. The loungers in the pool are great. Obviously we are not big party people.

The beach is not close to the hotel and is down a set of stairs, so that is a bit of a drawback, and of course you can't swim there, which we knew before we went. The dry sand is VERY coarse - my husband often played beach volleyball (when there were serious players), and would have cuts on his knees and ankles from diving for the ball. Just be aware of these things if you are a beach person - this could be very disappointing. Other places we have stayed had beach service (this hotel does not), and there are no umbrellas if you want any shade at all on the beach.

We walked the beach to the marina (would be 30 mins usually, but 45 mins as our son would stop to play in the sand, etc) and took the collectivo home (7 pesos and easily done). Walked to Walmart a couple of times - about 15 mins up the road to the left of the hotel.

Liquor at the airport is a rip off - we bought our liquor at Walmart and La Europa (same strip mall as the Walmart, and beautiful with a huge variety, and even a few cents less than Walmart), and the Kahlua was $7 less than at the duty free, and the amaretto $9 less than at the duty free.

My 6 year old loved the kids' club - he went daily for a couple of hours or more to whatever interested him, such as the Spanish lessons, tennis "lessons", arts and crafts, etc. It was never very busy - sometimes only 2 or 3 kids, other times 10. The staff were very good. At 8 pm there was mini-disco on the main stage for the kids with a game/contest of some sort. My only complaint with the kids club is on the occasions when the guys organized the game or the dance - they didn't seem to know what was inappropriate language and games for small children, and ourselves and other parents did bring this to the attention of the management and the
girls who worked with the kids. We certainly tipped Carmen and Annabel in the club for their fine care.

We had a good price for the 2 weeks, and I would go back if the price was the same and that much less than the Caribbean side. But it would be a second choice, only because of the beach and the party crowd.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#33 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort...
#22 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#21 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!