“Riu Santa Fe Great Value, Service, Location & views”
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Ranked #42 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed February 18, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Riu Santa Fe Feb. 10-15, 2009. We have never been to Cabo and this was the perfect place to stay for the money. This all-inclusive resort was comparable to the Iberostars that we have stayed at in the Riviera Maya for service, cleanliness, food quality, and entertainment.
We stayed in Bldg #3 room 3127, which was centrally located by the interior pool area and quiet at night for a good night's rest. The resort was busy too. My only criticism of the rooms was the size of the safe and the packets for soap and shampoo. My husband had his computer with for business and the safe was not large enough to store it. We have had other resorts that he could fit his computer into at the Iberostars. Also, they provide packets for shampoo and bath gel. Wall units or bottles would be better. It's hard to tear the packets open when you are wet. The room was very clean and our housekeeper, Martha, was amazing with her towel animals and floral heart on Valentine's Day.
There are 2 pool areas. One is central inside the garden view rooms and one is by the ocean view rooms. There are plenty of swimup bars to enjoy a refreshing cocktail in the sun. There are 2 over looking the Sea of Cortez that are infinity pools with built in cactus tables and seats...cute.
The food was good at the international buffet. We never were able to get into the restaurants. That system is not good also. You have to go to the desk at 7 a.m. to get in anywhere and can only make reservations for that day. It did not matter as we found the buffet good. They have a meat carving station and pasta station that we liked alot.
Shows at night were good too. We expecially liked Grease, Momma Mia, and the audience participation show Cats & Dogs. I enjoyed my coffee and Bailey's after dinner watching the shows.
All in all this resort is only a little over 1 year old an is a very good value. It is clean, good service, location is only 10 minute cab ride to downtown Cabo, and the views of the rock formations & cruise ships are great. I would recommend this resort to anyone going to Cabo.

4  Thank 3Rudes
Write a ReviewReviews (8,132)

Reviewed February 18, 2009

We stayed for 8 nights at the beginning of Feb 2009. There were 4 couples in our group and we all stayed in Building #2. Maybe not the best building for views but it was quiet at night and that's when it really counts for me! Building #7 seems like a great idea because it is so close to most of the day action (Beach and infinity pools) and the view overlooking the Ocean was great but, the drawback would be eating out at night. It is quite a hike from #7 to most restaurants (only the Steakhouse is close by for nightly dinners but it is the lunch restaurant during the day). We considered moving to #7 and paying some extra money to do so but stayed where we originally started in #2. If you are wondering what building to stay in this is the way I looked at it. Wearing flip flops to walk the hike to the beach or wearing dressier shoes at night to walk the hike to eat and go to the shows! Except it costs more $$ to do so. Either way the walk will help burn off some of those calories from all the food and drinks!
It is true to bring warmer clothes at night. On our last night the wind was quite strong and I could almost put in a "wind chill factor" to it. The days are beautiful about 80* or 85* with no rain for our week.
Everyone else wrote about the cleaniness and friendliness both are true.
I have been to a few other resorts in Mexico and this was right up there with beautiful views throughout the grounds and the view of the arches with cruise ships during the day is wonderful.
Some of my group went deep sea fishing with a charter called Tail Chasers and had a great time. It was all set up in advance to the trip and went very smoothly. They caught and released 6 Marlin and 1 Shark.
The Marina in Cabo is busy and exciting. Luckily we were there the day there was no ship in port (a wise move!). You can check a cruise ship schedule on the Internet.
The beach vendors were not a problem for us. We bought some jewelery and shirts and actually it was convenient to shop right there at the beach!
We ate at the Steakhouse (most people enjoyed it my steak was over cooked) the Asian Buffet (we thought it was good) and the Mexican ( order from a selected menu- the stuffed Chicken Breast was great). The big Buffet was good though of course you get tired of it after a few days. It was never really packed with people in there and the lines moved along very nicely.
All in all I really enjoyed the resort and if I would do a repeat of any places I have been to I would certainly consider the Santa Fe again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank WISALSU
Reviewed February 17, 2009

we are 60 young, we have travelled all of mexico, dominican, etc,.
This is on top of the list, with the mayan.
It is a country of full beauty, sun and blue sky everyday, only 14 days of rain a year,mountains, ocean, desert all around you. Just gorgeous to see every morning.
the early mornings, cool. from 10 to 5 hot and than supper cool that you need
a shawl or sweater. You can sleep without air cond just open doors and the
room fan going. The arrival and pick up amazing. The asst. manager of the
santa fe was on our bus. He explained everything, it was wonderful. Once we arrived
a beer in hand, and than quickly an envelope with cards for towels and room.
I had emailed sunquest and asked for building 7 which is the only one with an
elevator and right at the ocean, a king bed and top floor and a view of the ocean.
And I recived all. What is wonderful about builiding 7 also is it has its only front desk.
So you just book your specialty restaurants, and you do not have to go down at 7
we went for breakfast at 9 30 and never had a problem with booking, and you could
book 2 at a time. Also for wake up calls or anything else, extra pillows etc.
You asked they gave. They did anything, the service was wonderful.
The main buffet did have everything, for breakfast unbeliveable, suppers when
you are there two weeks, you do pick what you like. There salads wonderful
there cooked veg great, The main meats, some were good some not, they
seemed to have a problem with cutting there meats. But there was always something
to eat, and desserts great. If you like mexican food, it was there always, even
breakfast.
The staff was wonderful. Just get yourselves lots of single dollars, and they appreciate
anything for tips, but it is nice to at least do that, a good coffee person in the mornings.
to acknowledge them. The next day they remember you. We had a young lady at
the door laura, she did serving and the door to place people at there tables.
after she sat us a couple of times, and just a couple of dollars for appreciation.
She saw us in the mornings, and the coffee for my husband and I only drank mint tea \
she would bring me a pot of tea. Just a little goes a long way.
At the end of the trip I had to give her a very biggggg hug.
The specialty rest. did not love that much, every one made a biggg deal about the
steak restaurant, well we are not fussy eaters, but the steaks are thin not what
we are used to, we did eat there, but first this restaurant is outside, and the
service not as good as in the buffet, the asian so so, and the mexican was
also much better in the buffet. The one we liked the best was the italian.
They had a nice buffet for salads and desserts, and soup and pizza
and other small things, and than you ordered the main dish, the service
wonderful. We ate there 3 times. and the others once each, and than the
rest was at the buffet, that way you always found something you liked.
They had wonderful meals with all kinds of seafood, like shrimps, crab,
and clams and also fish mai mai. salmon and others fresh daily.
Also forgot to say when we had the orientation on the second day a must.
There are so many canadians from across canada. we had a introduction unbelievable
the manager and asst and every dept head was introduced to us and than the
two wonderful staff from sunquest told us all about trips etc.
There is nothing they will not help you with.
The water in the pool is not that hot, but refreshing when in the sun a long time.
The ocean they say not to go into. We did have lovely walks on the ocean and
put our feet in the water.
The bus to the town is about 10 min and 7 pesos.
Walking is a long walk and not necessary, because the bus is fun and stops
right in front of the hotel and leaves you of there also. Just let the driver know
you want to go to the marina, and on the bus it is written RIU.
The town is wonderful, walk to the end of the marina for the bigggggg flea market
where the ships come in, but the vendors before you can bargain with
at least half and than some.
We even walked the small streets, and everyone soooo friendly.
We also walked to walmart, yes about 15 min walk ask anyone.
Yes t shirts are cheap, my husband even got some nice cigars there, mexican
ones, you can't find anywhere else. They only sell cuban everywhere else
and they charge. He is a cigar smoker and knows prices and they were charging
the same as here. But the ones at walmart good prices, and he said they were good.
The liqour also good prices also.
The trips, we took two. My husband dream the Bahja. Well we took the Hummer
tour through the bajha, it was amazing. We took it on the sat. so we were the
only two people and the tour guy in our hummer. He even went out of his way and
took us to see homes after and showed us the million dollars homes, which there are
plenty, we also if you like history, went to totas santos where hotel california is
and wonderful quaint town. a six hour day, one hour to get there and a wonderful
tour guide with history himself.
Even ckout we could do from building 7 with know wait.
Just to let you know the time change is 2 hours, so going you get the two
and coming back you loose it, so the trip back yesterday was a long one.
We would definitely go again.
anything I might have forgotten which I do not think, just email and ask

5  Thank 60plusyoung
Reviewed February 17, 2009

For the size of the place you can understand why everything was buffet. We were told even the restaurants you have to make reservations in were buffet so we did not attend them as none got a good review by any of the people we talked to. The buffet got boring quick and one lunch I could find nothing I wanted. Staff was hard working and very friendly. The beds were hard and I was not impressed we got two double beds pushed together, not exactly what I was looking for on vacation. The beach had too much surf for me to swim in and I missed swimming in the ocean but the pools were very clean and there was a heated one in the middle of the resort. I was not prepared for the cool down at night or in the morning and had to buy clothing immediately. Nightlife at the resort was good for an evening or two but we ate in town and went to Cabo Wabo after a couple of evenings. Adventures off the resort like Zip Lining were fantastic and the Sunset cruise was fabulous. Lots of whales, dolphins, marlins & sea lions. I was not impressed that the resort wanted $10 per person to use the snorkelling gear, I had understood that was included. Lovers Island was fun but snorkelling there is hazardous to your health with the amount of water taxis traffic. It was a good experience but way overpriced considering the other places I've stayed in the Caribbean & Mexico.

3  Thank TashaCarl
Reviewed February 17, 2009

we had a great time on our trip. the resort is much larger than i anticipated it to be.
only one of the several pools was heated, but all were very nice. the infinity pool was very cool! The food was very good and our fridge was stocked every day with ice cold beer. if would definitely stay at a Riu resort again. if you are into excursions, i receommend the Ocean riders whale watching tour- very infomative and exciting.

Reviewed February 16, 2009

The resort was a very nice resort overall. It was very clean, very big, and close to town. However, they didn't offer any light beer, or light mixers, and the bartenders seemed to want a tip or they wouldn't serve you. I thought that in an all inclusive tipping was discouraged, but you could still do it if you felt strongly about it. I didn't realize now tipping is not only mandatory but expected even before it is earned. I also had a necklace stolen from my room. I didn't realize I should lock up everything including my toothbrush, if I wanted to take it back home with me. I didn't tip the maid when I left, I assumed the necklace (which was real topaz) was tip enough. I had a great time at this resort, but would not visit again.

• Check in / front desk
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Great getaway for wknd. for couples,friends,family
This is a great hotel! good staff,rooms,food and drinks. If you like powder white sand, then this is not the beach you like. The sand is rough on your feet and becareful in water strong under current. Make sure hotel offers free transpotation from and to airport. If you have to pay for tranportation its $15 per person but you have to have patiance because shuttle driver trys to fill up van with pasengers, its at least a 40min drive. A private taxi will cost about $60 each way. If you decide a shuttle than pick up a couple of cervesas or drinks,chips etc. from inside the airport or on your way to hotel the drivers are cool if you ask them to to stop at store.
You will have a great time. At the hotel be ready to walk its big, it has about 6 pools,about 5 bars 3 are pool bars and a 24hrs sports bar plus snacks and good buffet restaurant. Take the glass bottom taxi boat ride to lovers beach $10 round trip each person, you could hang out at lovers beach for at least 2hrs. you'll see the famous arch and seals etc.
ADVICE if going to lovers beach take a bag with ice and throw in water, beers,soda from rooms mini bar its Allinclusive! I had an awsome time with my wife! WE WILL COME BACK TO THE RIU SANTA FE. We are allinclusive beach and pool lovers, been at SJU,PUJ,POP,CUN,PVR and now Cabos. The only bad thing is TRANSPORTATION so make sure hotel offers their free TRANPORTATION! And do not stop to speak with timeshare people unless you want to waste your own time.

TEXAS!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank jgf67