“Loved our vacation!”
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Ranked #41 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We were at the Riu Santa Fe from jan 23 to jan 30. Having read many mixed reviews before going to the Riu SF, my expectations were a bit low but I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised overall with our stay.

IN A NUTSHELL: the resort is beautiful and very well maintained, with a spectacular ocean front view of Land's end and the Sea of Cortez. Service is very good and friendly throughout the resort. Rooms are clean, spacious, the bed was ok but a little hard. Plenty of activities to choose from, on and off the resort, and Cabo San Lucas is a 12$/10 minute cab ride away where there are a ton of really fun bars, nice restaurants and friendly people (although it gets a little tiring to be asked if we want to go on this or that tour every 2 minutes).

FOOD: keep in mind that this place has 900 rooms. You can't expect a gourmet experience here for the price paid. That being said, we always found something tasty at the buffet's for breakfast and lunch and there are plenty of options. We tried 3 à la carte restaurants: the mexican was ok, the asian was a little disappointing, and finally the italian was actually quite good. We bought 4 bottles of wine at the duty free on our way there and would bring our own wine to dinner with us. The wine at the resort is lousy.

ROOMS: we were in building 7. This building is separate from the six others and is the only one that is ocean front. I definitely recommend this building. Nice pools with spectacular views. We didn't have problems with sleeping at night, but again, with 900 rooms, chances are you could run into some late night partyers making too much noise. Mini bar re-stocked every two days but you could always call the reception and they will send what you need.

This place is very good for the price. It was our first time in Cabo and we loved our vacation. I will write separate reviews for the activities we did and the bars and restaurants we visited. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank micheld101
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed at Riu Sante Fe in 2010, it was our first time staying at a Riu, LOVED IT!! We went down with a group of over 30 people for a wedding. We enjoyed it so much we booked our next trip in Puerto Vallarta in 2012 at the Riu Palace where again everything was great! We decided to go back to Cabo in 2014 and wanted to go back to Sante Fe since we loved it so much the first time, and at the point we had no desire to stay anywhere but a Riu, Plus were already planning to stay at Riu Guanacaste in Costa Rica in 2015. Well that changed, the resort is still very nice, the workers all work very hard and are great, the food wasn't as good as before but was still OK...Drinks were OK...The main issue is the customer service when we had a issue with our room was terrible!! When we checked in they could not find our reservation, finally they found it and it took about 20 min to get checked in. Once we got checked in and got or room everything was great, so no big deal, just put it behind us and want to go enjoy Cabo. We got our room, ocean view, king bed, nice view everything was great. Then a few days later we came up to our room at about 400pm and the room had a terrible smell like paint thinner, burned our eyes and made us sick to our stomach almost instantly! We opened up the doors, turned the fan on and went on the deck for awhile to see if it would go away. It didn't. I then went to the front desk and spoke with George who said he can move us to a different room, but didn't have any direct ocean view rooms and didn't have any king bed rooms. I offered to pay extra for a suite at that point, he said they were not available. I then told him if I cannot have a room I had originally booked ( ocean view and king bed ) I would like to be compensated for it...George said he cant do that. Obviously I was not happy about that! I told George to come to my room and smell the odor, he refused. George said if I take one of these rooms for the night ( double bed, side view ) he should have something comparable to what we had originally booked BUT we will need to pack up all our stuff, leave it in the room and be out of the room by 1100am and we wont be able to get into the next room until 300pm, they will transfer all of our stuff room to room I said that is not acceptable! I refuse to leave my all my stuff, money, credit cards and passports in someone hands. At this point I was very frustrated went back to building 7 where Jose came to our room, smelled it, and agreed their was no way we could stay in that room! He brought us to the room George advised him to get us which was a 1st floor and direct view of the kitchen/lunch area. It was loud, terrible view with double bed. Which I did ok for the night or for the remainder of our trip "IF" compensated. As I said before George refused to do that. At this point in the day be both felt sick, were frustrated with the poor desk service, just decided to wait till the next day to pursue it and went to bed. We woke up had breakfast and spoke then with Manuel, He told us the same thing that we need to be out by 1100 and cant get a room till 300, I said that's not acceptable. I'm not going to be without a room for 4hrs with two days left on our vacation in the middle of the day! I said I understand the people need to be checked out by 1100am so I cant get into a comparable room until after that. I said I want to take my belongings from my room to the next room a little after 1100am, I will lock my stuff in the safe and leave my belongings in my suit cases in the room or on the balcony and they can still come in and clean it, I thought that was a perfectly fine request...Manuel and George at this point both refused that! They were adamant that I leave all my stuff in my old room ( passports, money, belongings, ect ) and they will move it...ABSOULTLY NOT! At this point Daniel came to the desk and still refused my request, but then said we can stay in our room until the new one is cleaned, BUT we have to stay in our room until we get the phone call, I asked how soon will that be, he said between 1200 and 300, I refused. We are not going to sit in our room from 1200-300 waiting for a phone call to move rooms, that's insane! If I want to sit in a room, I would have stayed home where its -20 out! I told them the people need to be checked out by 1100am, they is no reason the room cannot be cleaned and ready by 100pm. Daniel finally agreed and said get our stuff out and check back at the desk at 1200pm, So we loaded up all our stuff carried it down to the pool, I waited until 1230pm, went back to the desk, got our key, was told to wait 20-30 min then we can go into our new room. So we waited till about 100pm and went to our new room that was comparable to what we booked. That room was ocean view with a king bed two floors above where we originally were at and was great. We then had a letter that night when we came in saying we needed to be checked out the next day by 1100am, that was on Monday night, we are not supposed to be scheduled to check out until Wed...So we had to go back to the desk AGAIN to straighten that out!!

In the end they wrecked Sunday from 400pm till Monday 100pm. Jose in Building 7 was helpful and understanding, and at least came to my room to verify the issue. Check in was slow and screwed up, they tried to get us to check out a day early, no compensation was offered. As I stated before we had great luck, and bragged to others about how great Riu was, I sent my boss and his family to Riu Sante Fe in December 2013. We "were" sold on Riu and was planning on a trip to Riu Guanacaste in 2015, But at this point why would we!

Room Tip: Building 7 has a nice view if the ocean, worth the extra money "IF" you get certain rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Troy L
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I just returned home from a destination wedding in Cabos and I stayed at the Riu Santa Fe. The service was great and staff was friendly. I never had any concerns about theft or anything of that nature.

I know from a lot of the reviews theft was a concern, but here's a tip! If you do NOT have everything of value locked in your safe, leave the Do Not Disturb sign on the door and the TV on while you are gone. I have done that at almost every place I have been to and have never had issues. If I know I am going to be gone for a long period of time, I make sure all of my valuables are locked up and leave a small tip on the pillow for the maids. This is only courteous,

The food in the buffet was good. I loved that there was always a fresh fruit option, lots of cheeses and salad items. The chicken was terrible I must say and was tough and chewy both of the times I tried it. I think they could have had more of a variety throughout the week, as I did not take advantage of waiting in the long lines to "try" to reserve a spot at one of the specialty restaurants. The service was fast and good. One thing that always bothers me at almost every resort is: Since I travel for business I typically dine alone. When the waiters/waitresses find out I am dining alone, they make quite a point of clearing the rest of my table off loudly while I am still seated there. I find that to be very rude and inconsiderate.

The hotel and the room was very clean, everything in the mini-bar was always well stocked and the staff was always friendly to pass in the halls.

Since there are three rather large floors, I think an elevator would have been nice, especially for those who are older and perhaps would have a hard time with the stairs, but I can't complain since I definitely needed the exercise.

The wi-fi service IS extremely frustrating and I know that others were having the same issue since I was waiting in line with a couple of others on a couple of different mornings. You receive 90 min of free wi-fi in the lobby everyday and on about 3-4 different days I would use about 10 min of my free time, then come back later only to have it tell me that my time was used up. I had to call customer service from the front desk a couple of times to get this rectified.

Overall I think this was a great hotel and I would definitely stay here again if given the option! I had a great stay!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Ok, I stayed at the RIU Palace 3 years ago and it was great...nothing to complain. But the Riu Santa Fe was a disappointment. The food was horrible (apart from xmas eve the other days was terrible and tasteless...lost weight even).
The facilities not as good as the Palace and the rooms ugly. My room was a see front at least it was what a booked, but the TV never worked, even though I called the reception 4 times and they said they would fix it, still I watched TV barely able to see what was going on, considering that I was alone and spend few hours at night watching it you can imagine how annoying it was. The TV was the old style.
Entertainment was poor and frankly I preferred to sleep than waste my time with that. The people there again not as sophisticated as the Palace, if you are a student and in your teens or early 20s you might like it, but if you are over 25...and have taste you will not like it.
Even though it was a all inclusive I could never get drunk in that place, the drinks was the worse I ever had (anywhere in this planet), the wine was just undrinkable...and I tried to drink it with ice and even added water....nope, impossible was disgusting. The only thing I managed to drink was vodka...but about 2 or 4 as I was afraid to get a headache from hell if I over indulged.
The cocktails again horrid, I have to say I am not a fan of cocktails, and there I became even less...the soft drinks were flat as well, so no salvation really.
Had 2 great meals....but not in the hotel, one in nikki beach down the road and the other in lorenzillos in the marina....if you go outside of xmas (as xmas eve was the only day that food really tasted something) you better have lower standards in food, even the breakfast is tasteless.
I sure will never ever return to Riu Santa Fe. The only good thing about it was the weather, which thanks God was great everyday, otherwise it would have been a disaster....stay in the Palace is FAR better.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank manderson171
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I'm speechless, this hotel was everything I could image for a first time all inclusive trip we stayed a week. I believe we stayed on the third floor. Staff were very friendly food and drinks were awesome. Room was always cleaned and restocked on time. Would def go back.

Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank Erika L
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I recently stayed and feel that the Riu Santa Fe could definitely improve in several areas. First, the television reception in the room was poor and we received only 6 channels and four were in Spanish. That is fine as we were in Mexico but the hotel should offer some other channels to other travelers. Second, the hotel should offer complimentary Wi-Fi in other areas besides the main lobby area. Third, the room needs updating. Our smoke-detector was held to the wall by duct tape, the TV is very old as mentioned, two of our pictures in the room too fell during the stay. We also asked for a pillow and a blanket twice and never received.

It is an ok place to stay for the price and location. Great pool and bartenders, great bellman, but definitely could benefit from some updating, and more money spent on the property.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank seattleguymark
Reviewed January 29, 2014

first of all I am not sure why people write bad review of this hotel in los cabos.. I read about it and when I got there it was nothing like they said.. It was an awesome trip and will return.. people that wrote bad things about this hotel are people who are in the late 20's and dont appreciate things in life.. cause there was some people who got drunk and cause some noise

First of all the staff are amazing.. very friendly always say hello to you and even if you dont tip they still are polite.. The entertainment are lovely lovely people and funny as hell... I f you like to be entertained all day go to number 7 hotel pool and they will entertain you all day... There is a quiet pool near hotel number 3 which I have been also and very nice...

The hotel it self is very very clean , food was excellent and good drinks very nice place and I would go back.. At night watch the shows , they are very good shows.. Michael Jackson, Grease, Mama Mia and so on.. They also get the kids involved in the shows.. You will love this hotel and dont listen to any negativity about this resorts..

Room Tip: I had room 3120 and was facing the mountains and was beautiful..
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#33 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort...
#21 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!