“Good Bang for the Buck”

Ranked #41 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Austin, Texas
“Good Bang for the Buck”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed there last week and overall, it's a beautiful property which is fairly priced for being all-inclusive. The staff was excellent, always up-beat and everyone spoke English and Spanish.

RESORT SIZE - This was my first time staying at a resort this size and I think it was a little too big. There really isn't a good location to stay as far as rooms go. If you're in building 7, which is the most popular building and the only building on the beach side, you still have to walk the farthest back to the lobby to get a cab which is the only way to leave the hotel. We were in building 3 which was probably the best location of the property because we were in the middle of the resort and the walk to building 7 or the entrance wasn't as far as it would have been from any other building.

LOCATION - The hotel is listed on the swimmable beach but is actually not. It was off by a at least half a mile which meant you had a long walk on the sand to get to the swimmable part or even catch a boat (boats will not go to that part of the beach). The resort is also "in town" but is on the other side of the turn-around so the only way to leave the property was by taxi. It was a little too far for walking into town.

FOOD/DRINK - Food and drink was mediocre but that was expected since it was all inclusive. I think the most impressive deal about the inclusive drinks was full open bar and not just beer. One thing to note though was they have four restaurant options for dinner but only one per night is open and you have to make reservations the morning of by 7:30! Who wakes up that early on vacation. We were finally able to get the last night which happened to be the Italian restaurant they have. Unfortunately, it was the most disappointing experience and worst meal of the entire trip - on the last night! I tried two different options from the menu and they were both terrible. The risotto seafood was not cooked properly and made me sick for the next day that I had to travel - no fun. The pasta with beef medallions was extremely dry and the beef may as well be jerky. I only tried a bit of these two plates and refused the offer to have another selection.

COMFORT - As far as security, I was pleasantly surprised what security measures they took. It was very safe over the entire property as well as entering and leaving the hotel. I felt safe roaming the property and even leaving because the greeter at the front always seemed to keep an eye out for me and my friend when coming/going. The room we stayed in was a double (but I heard from other guests that they just slide the beds together to make a king which makes explains why our beds were next to each other) and was spacey. The beds were really hard, the pillows were flat, the linens (both bed & bath) were rough. I didn't really sleep well during my time there.

Room Tip: Unless you like doing stairs multiple times a day while carrying packages, luggage, etc., after a lo...
2 Thank liv1721

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,314)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We traveled to this hotel from October 25th to November 1st. I was very nervous after reading some of the reviews especially those involving theft, but everything was very nice. We just made sure to keep all valuables, including phones, in the safe or with us. We also tipped the maid. We figured that couldn't hurt either. First, the hotel itself is very nice. It is very spacious and kept very clean. The rooms were also very nice. They weren't anything super fancy but it was all we needed. The air conditioning worked very well. My only complaint about the room is the beds. They were very hard and uncomfortable. There were two main pool areas: the fun pool by the beach and the quiet pool which is located in the middle of the property. We spent most of our time by the quiet pool lounging and reading books because it was very noisy at the other pool. The food at the hotel was good. It was not the best food in the world but it was definitely not the worst either. You could always find something good to eat. I would recommend eating lunch at the restaurant by the beach. It was much better than the other restaurant by the quiet pool. Also keep in mind if you go fishing and catch a fish you can bring it back to the hotel and they will cook it for you at no additional charge. We just tipped the chef for his trouble. We had fresh Mahi Mahi and it was by far the best fish we had our entire trip. If you do decide to go fishing I would highly recommend going to the marina and finding someone on your own. The first fishing trip our husbands took was booked through the hotel and it was disastrous. Not only was it very expensive but the boat crew was incredibly rude to them until they were returning to the dock (trying to get a tip of course) and also told them the bait was twice as expensive as it actually was. The second trip they hired their own crew from the marina. It was less expensive, the crew was very nice, much more experienced and they caught A LOT more fish. The beverage selection at the hotel is good but both the red and white wine are undrinkable. We took a cab to the liquor store and purchased wine to drink with dinner. We made reservations for dinner a couple of nights. We never had a problem getting reservations we just made them in the morning before eating breakfast. We ate at the Asian and the Mexican Restaurants. I would not recommend the Asian restaurant. Our group decided the dinner buffet was better but I would recommend the Mexican Restaurant. For the money, I think this hotel is a great deal. We had a great time and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: From other reviews I read everyone said building 7 was the way to go but we stayed in building 5 and...
2 Thank 12AmalieG
Moorea, French Polynesia
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Went there with my in-laws from California and the place was fabulous. The grounds were meticulous and they had a beautiful infinity pool. We stayed in the penthouse rooms that have two floors. The second floor was a private rooftop hot tub and terrace with a great view of the Pacific Ocean.

Room Tip: Top floor suites have two floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Riverside, California
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I decided for my 21st birthday to come to Cabo..

With this spirit in mind.. We came to our hotel looking for a really good time!! Which we did! The grounds are beautiful, staff is friendly, and most importantly LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!!!!!

It is just a short walk on the beach... to get to all the beach clubs and what not...even to town!

BEWARE: RESERVATIONS FOR RESTAURANTS ARE HORRIBLE!!!!!!! We stayed for 4 days.. and were only able to get reservations for 1 NIGHT of dinner (after complaining). Not saying that the food was bad, the food was excellent, but the liquor was cheap, and unless you complain... you will not be getting a reservation for dinner.

Imagine this... there are 902 rooms.. and only 1 restaurant is open per night.

Also!!! If you want to use the hot tub in the Spa.. guess what.. there is a reservation needed for that too... oh yeah.. but only 6 people at a time..

It was absolutely ridiculous the restaurant/reservation situation. The restaurant was half empty ANYWAY!

No room service!! So Pretty Much... we ate the buffet that was it.. again, not saying it was bad.. but I mean you are PAYING for it!!!

Tip: BEDS SUCK!!!!!

Overall: the staff was incredible, the location was beautiful... but... next time I come to Cabo... I am highly considering not doing all-inclusive and will be staying at a hotel closer to town. All-inclusive just isn't worth it.... and didn't cut it for me.

Riverdale, New York
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Hotel & Food: The hotel was amazing AND clean. The food was amazing, especially in the buffet area!! We had guacamole for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner!! Some drinks may seem "watered" down because it takes a while to feel it, but to avoid ALL this, you should try the "Tony Montana" or the "Adios [--]". The staff was extremely courteous!! Beds were a little on the hard uncomfortable side. Make sure to ask for a shower mat or you may slip in the shower! P.S. There is no Room Service, you have to make a visit to the Sports Bar which is open 24hrs/day. We stayed in Building 4 which is perfectly located! (Quiet, close to the pool, gym and restaurants)

Upon arrival at the airport: DO NOT STOP UNTIL YOU SEE DAYLIGHT & CARS! The people stopping you belong to TIMESHARE companies and they will rob you! They will tell you "Free Excursions & breakfast for a 75min presentation" It's a LIE! Don't do it!

Places to go see: Lovers & Divorce Beach, The Marina ($3 cab ride p/p) or you can do the longggg 45 minute walk on the beach (which we did and regretted it because it's tiring), ATV Excursion with Amigos Cabo Moto Rent (they are amazing and the ATV tour on the Desert and set of the movie Troy was phenomenal.

Pacha nightclub on the resort: No spanish music and the club was a little smelly.

Overall, the place was amazing for our first Cabo experience!

2 Thank rubiosherry
Breezy Point, New York, Usa
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This was by far the best hotel we have stayed at in Cabo. This hotel is more of a small city. Truly All inclusive you do not have to put up a credit card when you arrive like most hotels. Buffet was awesome. I put on 8lbs in a week. The buffet was so much better then their restaurants, which you have to make reservation for one day in advance. They also need to work on there drinks selection. Only one type of beer. Wine selection was good not great. Dinner shows were a lot of fun. We have been going to Cabo for 11 years this was by far our best trip. Out of 12 hotels this hotel an villa del palmar are the best two places in Cabo to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the beach.
3 Thank K A
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 2, 2013

To begin with, this was my third trip to this hotel and I have convinced 3 members of my family to stay at this facility. So in total I have brought in business that is equivalent of 6 rooms. The latest stay was from Oct 24th to Oct 31. The best year rating is as follows
1) 2010 - 9 out of 10
2) 2011 8 - out of 10
3)2013 - 6 out of ten
So what did we notice that did not please us in view of the fact that the resort was somewhat 50% full....remember 50% full

1) I had informed the hotel of our 3rd visit and wanted (2 rooms) to stay in block 7. Well block 7 they did give us, but guess where they put us ...in the worst location, in the basement in room 7001 and 7002. A view looking at a fence. Is this how you treat a patronizing guest? Yes we did manage to get it changed and it took them 6 hours to get the room changed. We had NO room from 10 am to 4.15 pm
2) For the first 4 nights there were NO shows, No BBQ's or special presentations....... in the main court yard of the facility. In 2010 there were fabulous shows/BBQ's and speciality items every night and the staff personally met the guests and mingled with them to create a family atmosphere. The staff and the shows of both 2010 and 2011 were EXCELLENT and that is because the management of the resort provided that sort of guidance to the staff....get involved with your guests, answer their questions etc. At lunch they were instructed to spread out and join in lunch with their guest. It was so personal that we got to know ALL of the staff during 2010 and 2011
3) The Wi-Fi is now in essence for sale. in 2010/2011 Wi-Fi was free up to the courtyard area. So after breakfast we could get Wi-Fi at the b'fast table while sipping a cup of coffee. No more. Free WI-FI is limited to the sofa set area and is valid for 90 minutes......after which you PAY. The band width was weak with only 2 bars most of the time. In previous years...Wi-Fi was free all day at the courtyard. Now once you started the session you would have to sit there for 90 minutes or you lose.
4) Previous years they had 2 musicians (A man and a lady) entertain the guest prior to the show for about 1 hour. Just beautiful and gifted singer. Songs like LA Bamba, Guentaramera....etc, NO such entertainment this year!
5) I think the new management lacks imagination; the manager in 2010 was excellent. Although I introduced myself as a 3rd time visitor to the manager, I was never approached for " How is it going"?
NOW the GOOD
1) Excellent Staff, always happy and smiling. ( special mention to the Breakfast Matre’d...awesome guy)
2) Great Food
3) Clean Rooms
4) Beautiful Resort setup
5) Excellent Bartenders...the drinks kept flowing with a cheerful smile
6) The resort is close to town...a mere 10 peso ride of 10 minutes and you are in town.

Room Tip: I would not go in October, because of low occupancy, the management cuts back the fun activities, as...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#32 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#19 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!