“STAY AWAY!!! HORRIBLE FOOD & DRINKS+BAD SERVICE”
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Ranked #41 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
San Diego, California, United States
“STAY AWAY!!! HORRIBLE FOOD & DRINKS+BAD SERVICE”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

STAY AWAY !!! the best 2 words to describe this place!!! not worth the $$$$ you pay.... unless you are ok with horrible food (with roaches all over the buffet) and very, very very very cheap alcohol drinks!!
cheapest rum, unknown vodka, gasoline, I meant Tequila ( jose cuervo) plus hungered employees, they always expect tip after a cheap drink.
Did I mention the rotten-watery flavor of the O.J ??? or the lack of hot tubs??
what about the 1970's TV??? hahaha
Spanish speaker?? forget about it!!! the bartenders will ignore you !!! English was my lifesaver!!
Spent a fortune eating out of the hotel during my vacations,
The place is too big for it's own good. Takes forever to get anywhere. It's worth the extra $$ to stay at a high end place. The staff is useless and rude.

Room Tip: go to another Hotel!!!!
3 Thank Ricardo R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,314)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Gambell, Alaska
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Initially when I began researching resorts in Cabo San Lucus about 5 months ago, Riu Santa Fe rated pretty high, which is what led to me choosing this hotel. My fiance and I became quite concerned however, when we read poor reviews written just prior to our vacation date of July 12th. Alas we still when with it and hoped for the best. And boy were we pleasantly surprised! This resort is BEAUTIFUL, the staff is extremely helpful and the food turned out to be really good! This place wasn't too crowded during our weeks stay and turned out to be a perfect choice. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: There is no elevators, so if you don't want to climb stairs, request a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amber H
california
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We recently visited the Riu Santa Fe Hotel in July. My wife and along with our two kids (ages 11 yrs. & 7 yrs.) had a fabulous time at this large resort hotel. This hotel has 6 pools ( an infinity pool, another large pool next to the infinity pool and two bar pools on the West side of the hotel; and two large separate pools in the center of the hotel). The pools in the center of the hotel were quieter and family friendly, the pools on the West side of the property were louder and has a party side to it. Both pools have music, but more fun in the infinity pool. The view from the infinity pool is AMAZING! The kids had a great time during the day and nightly with "Riu Land" show starting every night at 8 pm catering to the kids. After that, a fabulous show for adults and children alike. This hotel is ALL INCLUSIVE which worked out well for us picky eaters. A lot of food to choose from the buffet style restaurants along with 4 different restaurants included in the ALL INCLUSIVE PLAN (all you can eat and drink; beer, mixed drinks, and soda alike). I had such a great time we didn't want to leave. Take a water taxi to the famous Arco rock across the bay, a great experience. Also, take the "La Isla" trip on a nice catamaran that will take you and others to a private beach near Medano beach; you will snorkel, kayak, and play on an inflatable slide in the bay. I can't wait to return next year! Oh yeah, the resort has its own nightclub. MUST DO: pick a 1st floor room in either building 4 or 5 (center of the hotel). There are no elevators so you would have to walk several steps (up to 60 steps ) if you stay on the third floor. The only building with an elevator is building 7, but it's the louder/party noise area. Negatives: The bed is not that comfortable, a lot of tossing and turning at night but I didn't care since I was exhausted from all the fun every night. The taxi from the hotel to downtown Cabo is $12. I hope this helps.

Room Tip: Make sure you request 1st floor at buildings 4 or 5. This is the center of the resort and prevents y...
7 Thank Caofamilycalifornia
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We just got back from a week at the Riu Santa Fe and had a great week, the Resort was better than expected. The staff were super nice, hard working and kept the place very clean. The food in the buffet was probably the best we have had at a all inclusive, we ate at the Mexican restaraunt one night and was very good, did not eat at the others stuck with the buffet. The drinks were very good as well. the entertainment staff was good would like to see them do more crazy games type of activities.. We are allready planning a trip back there next year
Only complaints were probably the beds are small and we were next to a horse farm with dogs who barked every night

Room Tip: The resort is big, we were in the 1100 series close to the back, if I was doing it again I would try...
2 Thank Barry W
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed here for a week in July, loved it! Everyone is so friendly, the food was pretty good, the entertainers definitely know how to put on a show! The resort is pretty close to everything, walking the beach to the marina might take a bit of time but its a cheap cab ride over :) Overall great place and I loved it! :)

Room Tip: Building 7 is the closest to the beach and the entertainment during the day but furthest away from t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stephb1994
Siloam Springs, AR
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Like everyone else I researched and read reviews like crazy before booking our vacaiton and after to keep up on the latest information. We booked our trip through United Vacations and were very pleased with our service both to and from the airport and while at the resort, Carlos was very helpful!
About three weeks before our trip I had emailed the resort in regards to setting up a few things for our son's 10th birthday, which we were celebrating on our second day there. I received a prompt reply from Georgina Ramos stating: "Here at the hotel we offer you a chocolate cake for dinner and also send decorate the room (on arrival ask at customer services decor and help you with a reservation and birthday cake), the maids are in charge of decorating with towels room and balloons." So upon arrival/check-in I spoke with Jorge about setting up our reservation for the following night, he said he'd have to check and he would call our room with the information. Well you guessed it Jorge never called!!! So the next morning I went to the front desk in our building (7) and spoke with the young lady there, explained everything to her, she took our dinner reservations for that night as well as the following evening, and she assured me the room would be decorated. As for the room decorations I had brought my own (just to be safe), a banner and balloons, and I had left these items on the corner of the bed along with a tip. We preceded to stay out of the room ALL DAY, we even put our son off about going to the room during the day to ensure they had enough time to decorate the room, so let me tell you at around 5pm when we got back to the room and it wasn't decorated and my decorations and tip were MIA this momma was not happy!!! It took yet another trip to the front desk to ensure the room was decorated. The best part was knowing that they took the decorations and the tip. I asked the gal at the front desk if the housekeeper thought I was telling her happy birthday and she said yes..... LOL like I would know if it was the housekeepers bday!
With all that being said my advice to you is if you are planning a special surprise while you are there.......... don't expect it to be handled correctly. The lines of communication between the management personnel and the staff are very poor. I realize its a large property but its things like this that make me not want to book with them again. Very disappointing! End the end it was handled at about 10:00 that night.
The property is amazing. Yes it is very large, another reason why I think the communication is lacking between management and staff.
Food, it was about the same as any other all inclusive resort. There is such a large number of people that you don't have to worry about food setting under a warmer all day, the turnover is crazy fast.
The rooms, on the smaller side, pretty narrow. The beds are firm, we slept decent. We had the two beds pushed together that were more like small full sized beds. The double sinks were nice but one didn't drain well. And we had paid for an Ocean-View room, ended up with a corner room so we could see mainly the pool and some ocean, but by the time we arrived at the resort and got to our room we were to poopped to want to try and get a different room.
The party crowd, they were in full force by Friday. During the week it wasn't bad everyone was having a good time but not a lot of hooping & hollarin, but by the weekend you could tell the wilder groups were checking in. Didn't bother us, some of them were pretty entertaining.
All in all a nice resort. If you are planning a trip to just go and have a good relazing time book it without hesitation, but if you are planning a special occasion I'd stay somewhere else to ensure the personal touches are handled.

2 Thank ladybug7812
Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have just returned from a fantastic week, July 13-20th, at the Riu Santa Fe. We had read the reviews posted on this site in the weeks leading up to our trip and we were VERY concerned. We were so worried that we even attempted to change resorts. Thankfully, there was no availability at our other choices.
For those of you concerned about the reviews that involve theft out of the safes, I can set your mind at ease a little. On the map and list of restaurants, that is given to you at check-in, there is a statement from the resort, stating that the hotel is not responsible for items stolen from the room UNLESS the items are locked in the safe. We locked our valuables in our safe each time we left the room and we came back with everything we brought with us. A quick note on the safe, it may not be large enough to hold a lap top computer.
We had a room in building 6 which is centrally located and close to the swim-up bar at the quiet pool and near most of the the restaurants and entertainment areas.
We were able to obtain dinner reservations at all 4 specialty restaurants, as my brother would get up each morning and have coffee and use his 90 minutes of free Wi-Fi in the lobby while he waited for the reservation desk to open...at a different time each day. The Asian and Italian were great, the steak restaurant was mixed, my steak was perfect, and the Mexican was VERY disappointing...which was very surprising.
The food at the buffet was great, with a huge selection for breakfast and dinner, lunch was pretty repetitive.
We spent most of our time at the quiet pool surrounded by buildings 1 through 6. We really enjoyed they pool and swim-up bar. Our 6 year old loved swimming up to get drinks, and the play a variety of music most days.
We did spend on day at the pool near the beach, which is fantastic with it's great views of the ocean and huge waves. The actives staff spends all of their time at this pool and we had a great time playing pool volleyball and water polo. The drawback is the frat-house atmosphere, complete with annoying late-teens and early 20 somethings falling down drunk by noon. this pool gets very crowded by early afternoon. There was even same boys playing their own very inappropriate music from a boom box at 8am near the pool. Some of these kids do not get that this is a family resort.
We did a tour to CABO Dolphins, which was great and worth every penny and spent a second day in town shopping.
I highly recommend hiring a water taxi, Jesus had the best price, and going over to Lover's Beach to see the arch and snorkel at Pelican beach. Just be prepared to have to climb into and jump out of the boat at each shore.
Overall we had a great time, but the far house/dorm room atmosphere at the building 7 pool needs to be controlled by the staff, possibly raising the minimum age that a person can stay at the resort without an adult could cut down on the number of drunk and rude young people keeping families away from the best area of the resort.

Room Tip: A room in building 6, in my opinion, is the best location, as it is close to everything but the beac...
1 Thank John M
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#32 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#19 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!