“Fabulous!”

Ranked #40 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I found the service, food and all other aspects of my stay to be FAR superior to that of my stays elsewhere in Cabo and Cancun. These people (Riu) really know what there doing. I'm from Las Vegas and know a little something about resorts. I think all as Vegas employees should be sent to Riu Santa Fe for re-training. Also, not bothered even once with time share B.S. Excellent Job!

Room Tip: Avoid building 7 unless your a hard core party person!
3 Thank emoryinvegas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I attended a wedding here June 15th, 2013. We stayed in a double bed room in building 7. The resort is large so be prepared to walk a bit between pools and restaurants. The staff was very nice and keep the place very clean throughout the entire resort.

There is a buffet open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are also 4 restaurants on site but you will need to get up early if you want to make a reservation at the steak house! I was told you will need to reserve by 8:30am for that restaurant. I was able to choose from the Mexican restaurant or Asian restautant when I went to book about 11:30am. The food at the buffet was standard buffet faire including all types of cuisine. I ate dinner at the Mexican restaurant and the steak house and I would say the food was so-so. Not much better than the buffet options. I ordered a steak medium and it came out medium-well. Another person that was in our party ordered a steak medium-rare and it also came out medium-well. So don't plan on getting a meal that you will want to write home about!

There was plenty of entertainment all day, every day. There are also three swim up bars and three infinity pools. The pool bars closed at 6pm. There are two bars located near the main entertainment at night and one sports bar that is open 24 hours. There are snacks located at that bar 24 hours also. The snacks are what you would expect from a 711 - roller dogs, microwavable hamburgers and tortilla chips with nacho cheese.

There are also a few shops located on the property that accept US dollars but will give you change in pesos.

Overall it was a good value for the money we spent. Getting downtown is about an $8 cab ride but that price seems to vary with the cab you choose so beware! Though it seemed most prices outside of the resort varied :) (when it comes to cabs, goods).

3 Thank Blanche_PDX
San Jose, California
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

“Ma’am, you are at a party hotel.” This is the response I got from the front desk clerk when I asked to change rooms due to the loud hallway noise at 2am (which lasted at least an hour). The “party in the hall” would start about the same time every night, so I learned to call security as soon as it started and it was completely quiet shortly after.

Some other low points were being greeted by a stumbling drunk guy after check in, and the smell of vomit leading down to the “party pool” area, which is down by the ocean. So why am I giving this place 4 stars? Well, if you know in advance that it is in fact a party hotel, it is a very nice place. Once we found our niche, everything was fantastic. We were in room 3031, which is a ground floor room, next to the middle, less rambunctious pool. It did not have an ocean view, but we passed up a transfer to building 7 with an ocean view, after finding we preferred the middle pool (which is very large, with a swim-up bar), and the convenient location to the restaurants. It is in fact a long haul to walk anywhere from building 7.

We loved the buffet which had something for everyone, and was good food. For lunch we would walk up into the restaurant near the middle pool and bring our food back to our lounge chairs. We only ate at one of the specialty restaurants, that being the Steakhouse. It was excellent. From start to finish, really good food and presentation. Our friends ate at the Asian restaurant which they said was not good at all.

Drinks here were NOT watered down by any means and were very good….I recommend the mojitos. The wine at this property is horrible. We ventured down the street to Costco and purchased a few good bottles for dinner.

The staff was as good as it gets. Constantly cleaning, smiling, really accommodating.

A favorite outing was taking a cab to Chileno Bay for snorkeling. Go in the morning before the snorkel boats for the best visibility, or after 1 when the boats leave for no crowds. When you go bring your own food and drinks if you will be there for awhile. The Sports Bar has pre-packaged sandwiches and things which would be perfect to pack along. Saw a good variety of fish; pufferfish, needlefish, parrot fish, grouper, and the beach is lovely.

Would I stay at this property again? Probably not, especially not with my child….I like to "party" in my own right, but I can’t keep up anymore with the 20 something’s, nor do I wish to expose my daughter to them, lol. I would pay the difference to stay at the RIU Palace next door if I were to book again. That said, we did get a fantastic deal through Expedia ($2000 for 3 with airfare), which is really hard to beat for a 6 day trip which includes all meals and drinks.

My tips:
Bring earplugs
Bring your own conditioner (shampoo is supplied)
Know this is a 20 something "party hotel"

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JT3373
Glendale, California
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Like other reviewers, I love the hotel, the pools and location of the hotel. I even enjoyed the stuff by the pool and the servers. The down fall of our trip was the food and the quality of it.
Mostly leftovers, over fried food, over cooked meat, and no chicken. We have a two years old and there was hardly any food healthy enough for him. We could not find any juice for him they only had sodas and water done sodas.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view room or room by the building 7 the best and close to the ocean. But kind of a wal...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank V A
Wallington, New Jersey
Reviewed June 17, 2013

AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Staying here with friends, put valuables into safe thinking they would be fine there. iPhones, money and more was stolen straight from it after it was locked. The hotel must have some sort of inside job arrangements going on seeing as Tara F had the same problem just two days ago. VALUABLES NOT SAFE IN ROOM SAFE, FRONT DESK COULD CARE LESS.

10 Thank pmm3744
San Bruno, California, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I visited the Riu Santa Fe from June 9 thru the 15, 2013 and I have to say that I was surprised to find out that this hotel was 5 stars. I usually don't go to these hotels because they are out of my budget but this one didn't feel as one at all.

Value- This was the best thing, for a family of four we got a pretty good deal. Just be aware of the transportation you use to get from the airport to the hotel. No matter what, you will be paying lots of money, so keep it in mind when you're planing your budget.

Entertainment- This was the other plus. This group works day and night to keep us entertained. And I could mention a lot of them: Cory and Andrea in the mini club. Pepeluche, Julio, Gladys, Gabriel, Choco, El Negro, every single one of them connected with us in a personal level, trying to make our stay pleasant.

Room- Beds were in the firm side...a little too firm! A bit of a funny smell when you walk in but I guess that's due to the humidity. After the first day it was fine. The cleaning crew does a wonderful job keeping the rooms clean and stocked. Leave a couple of dollars and you will even get some towel decorations.

Service- I could acknowledge a few people at the buffet restaurant, but in general the service is very poor, especially if you take into consideration that this is a 5 stars hotel. Most of the time you have to get up and get your own drinks because the waiters/waitresses are not around. Same thing with utensils and napkins.

Pools and beaches- Water is very cold (for me), it might've been the time of the year but it was extremely hot outside, one could think the pool water was a little warmer. But the end of the week I was more used to it. There's no way one could swim at the beach there, water is very rough. So be careful!

Food- Breakfast at the buffet was the same everyday. Dinner same thing. There was a night of Asian food that it was OK, at least a little variation. I only tried the Italian restaurant and it was fairly good. The only thing I didn't like was that you had to get up to get your appetizers and desserts. This was not the buffet restaurant. I was expecting full service at the table. But the service there was definitely much better. I heard the Asian and Mexican restaurants were good.

Drink- The worst!!! I don't drink much but I literally was drinking sweet juice all the time. And I heard this from everybody I talked to. Very inexpensive alcohol they buy there!

General- I don't know if I would go back to this hotel, maybe if a I get a good deal.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Leonora M
California
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Just got back from 5 days at the Santa Fe. The reason for the title is that this is NOT a "romantic" getaway for couples. If you are looking for that, go to Dreams Hotel.

This hotel is definitely for the person or people looking to have a ton of fun, lots of music and to meet people. I would not recommend it for families with young couples, tons of partying going on here.

That being said, we were down there with six 18 years that just graduated high school. There was well over 100 18 years enjoying themselves on the "all inclusive". Perfect spot for them!

The food was overall, not bad. Certain resturants were better. We found the lunch time bbq by the pool to be some of the best food at the property. The beef and chicken tacos with fresh guacamole were outstanding.

The drinks are watered down somewhat, just means you need to drink a few more to get to where you want to go...lol! Only beer they had was XX lager. I like it but some people may like a variety.

The 24 hour sports bar on site is a great hangout for the kids.

Gym is adequate, no free weights and the tredmills need some service.
The Spa is very nice and reasonably priced.

Service was excellent. Everyone is friendly and helpful. I cant say enough about Melissa who works at the front desk. Friendly, attentive, speaks great English and goes out of her way to make sure your stay is great. Zumela, our housekeeper did a great job as well.

Rooms are adequate, not great. A little dated and no flat screen TV. But hey, you are not in Cabo to watch TV!

Biggest complaint, the WIFI is slow, I mean really slow. 90 minutes free in lobby per day.

Room Tip: Tower 7 has the elevators and is right in front of the beach. A little bit of walk to get to lobby...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabo San Lucas
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#19 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#17 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#11 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!