“It was ok”
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Ranked #41 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The staff here were not very friendly and it felt very sterile. The alarms went off two different nights and there was never any direction as to what we were supposed to do and the alarms went off for quite some time. We called the front desk and they seemed to not even know what was going on. It was irritating. The drinks were so-so. It wasn't awful - but it wasn't great. The reservations for the restaurants were ridiculous to get and when you did they rushed you! I won't go back.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Reviewed September 25, 2012

A group of 21 of us went Sept 7-14th for a wedding and let me tell you it was a blast!
From the moment we arrived at 10:45am Friday I knew or friends made the right choice by choosing this resort for their wedding. we were given our room keys and wrist bands of the bus over to the hotel so check in was a breeze. Once we arrived we were greeted with a drinks and the entertainment group! while on the bus we were told about how and where to book dinner reservations so we immediately went to the desk in the lobby to book a dinner for our large group. of course there was nothing available for that day BUT we asked if it was possible to book in advance and to our surprise after reading so many negative reviews on TripAdvisor about the dinner reservation system were told YES you can book up to two days in advance! so we booked our first dinner for 21 of use on the Sunday at the Italian restaurant and the food there was the best I had on the trip. you are only allowed to book once a day so we returned a few times to book and had the steakhouse twice and Mexican once, both were ok but i was disappointed in the steak house as the cuts were quite fatty but did have the ribs one night and they were pretty good.
As for the Mexican restaurant I had the chicken fajita's and they were damn good, the desert here was the worse thing I have ever had, your not given a choice of the two different options they have but since we were in a large group we had the horrific opportunity to try both. needless to say we went to the buffet next door for desert after.

As for the buffet's I agree lunch was the same thing everyday except Friday by the infinity pools they had taco's and Saturday BBQ burgers that were the only good burgers I had that week. also on Friday they had these pineapple drinks that were amazing! we were disappointed that that was the only day they were available. as for breakfast the main buffet was the better choice of the two but both were quite good. The dinner buffet was good the few times we did eat there but we really enjoyed the different themes they had going on out front daily especially the chefs salad!

I also read reviews about the booze being watered down and i can ensure you it isn't. If your drink feels watered down or not strong enough here is probably the reason why: they fill your cup to the rim with ice before mixing your drink so in the hot sun it will melt fast causing half your drink to be water. to fix this you can either be like me and drink twice as fast lol or ask for little to no ice. the cups are small but we had are own mugs supplied by the bride and groom I suggest bringing your own mug.

Service was amazing we tipped the bar tenders, servers and maids generously and often, its not necessary but is appreciated. If your looking for the fire shot or rainbow shot only a few bartenders can do it and I found we could only get them at night. i recommend trying both!
the disco was ok, played the same songs nightly but we had fun anyway. The sports bar was the place to go if you wanted a drink 24/7 or a place to be the heat as the A/C is always on full blast here. also great way to spend Sunday or Monday night to watch Football!

There is premium liquor, Bacardi, absolute, Appleton etc. not top self but better than what they use if you don't ask for these by name.

Excursions,

I did a couple excursions while here the first was a sunset cruise on the Buccaneer Queen awesome time! and the second was zip lining at Wild Canyon which is quite the workout but really fun! we also went to wal mart which is the same as back home with a small souvenir section and cheap booze! we went to the mall in town a few times and there is some good deals to be found there too as well as the flea market by the Marina. we were planning on going to Lover's Beach on Thursday but do to a tropical storm the waves were too big and there wasn't any water taxis that day, cheapest one we found was $10 return each but heard rumors you can get one as low as $5 if you walked down the beach more. we also went to Cabo Wabo one night and took the city bus at about 9pm and it was more like a party bus with loud music and lights! the bar its self if nice but very expensive for Mexico, $5 a beer when everyone else on the same street is $1 a beer.

here is a few cons and the reason I only gave 4 stars

fly's everywhere!
bad smell whenever the sprinklers were on
10 out of 21 of us got sick at least once
rain does cause flooding at the resort and parts of town
pool bars close at 6
cant swim in Ocean
had to bring my own Jagermeister LOL
food

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Richard G
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We decided to try the west side of Mexico this year for our anniversary, as we have never been to Cabo, and wanted a change of scenery. My husband and I have visited Mexico several times, always staying in the Mayan area and we love it! So we decided to try something a little new this year.

Friends of ours have stayed at the Riu Santa Fe several times and so we thought we would give it a try, having never stayed at a Riu before. We wanted to try a Riu resort too, and we've heard mixed reviews and wanted to try it for ourselves.

Anyways, we get to the resort Friday morning. Check it was smooth and painless, and the staff was very friendly. I was happy to get our room at 10am, and not have to wait for it to be ready, so that was a bonus. Our travel agent had recommended an oceanview, and I must say, it was the best view we've ever had. Beautiful scenery right from our balcony! The only downside was that our building (building 7) was the furthest from the main area. As many other reviewers have mentioned, this resort is HUGE!!! And it's a maze, so hopefully you like getting lost. They should really have carts to bring you to and from the lobby, but maybe I'm just being picky. We DID hear others complaining about the long walks to get everywhere however.

The poolside buffet was the first place we ate, and we were anything but wow'd. Again, it wasn't a big deal at first, it's just a lunch buffet. It had all your basics like hamburgers/hotdogs etc...though everything tasted a little "off." The ketchup is iffy as well which is unusual for Mexico. It's like sweet and sour sauce so make sure to bring your Heinz. The pop/beer is hit and miss too.

We fell asleep for a LONG time the first day, and then woke up around 3am. There is no room service, so because we were hungry, we were told that the Sports Bar had food 24 hours/day. So we get to the Sports Bar and they have a fridge with old hamburgers/hot dogs/sandwiches and a microwave. They have nachos and old cheese sauce there as well. My husband microwaved a nasty hamburger just because he needed to eat, and I tried making some nachos using some cheese slices. The Sports Bar was pretty gross though, I will say.

There were a TON of flies everywhere. And I mean TONS. We read about the flies from other Tripadvisor reviews, but we thought maybe some were just being extra picky. One day at the pool bar, I finished a drink, only to notice a massive fly stuck in the middle of an ice cube. Yep. Another day we went in the pool and were surrounded by fruit flies. They were everywhere, but just for that one day, covering the surface of the pool. We even started collecting them in our cups just to toss over the edge.

We went to the Italian Restaurant the next night. The food was mediocre, and everything besides your main entree is buffet-style. That same night I was up every hour on the hour throwing up. I've now been to 9 all-inclusives and have never gotten that sick before. And that includes Cuba! Anyways, incase you're wondering, I had ordered some creamy chicken pasta earlier that night, so I'm not sure if it was that.

There was an ear-piercing alarm that went off in the middle of the night, and then several times during the day. Quite annoying.

The maid and bar service was okay. We noticed that it didn't matter if we left tips or not, it didn't give us any little "extras." But we could depend on mopped floors, clean towels, and a made bed, so that was fine. We ran out of toilet paper once, so we just called and they brought us some. They wouldn't change the roll or anything when they cleaned our rooms if it was empty. The resort had very "basic" service.

The beach is very shelly, so it heats up fast if it's super hot out. The waves are also scary. Please make sure to NOT take a water taxi from the beach, but rather go to the Pier and catch one from the there as the current WILL take you out.

The most disturbing part of the trip was to see cockroaches by the salad bar by the pool side buffet. My husband saw them first and didn't tell me, because he didn't want me to freak out, although he stopped eating from there. Then I saw them myself and reported back to him. So then we just ate bread with butter to sustain us and talked about all the good/clean food we could have back home. LoL! By the following Wednesday we had eaten out at Johnnie Rockets, Senor Frogs, and McDonald's as much as possible, and we even bought some crackers and cheese to keep in our room from Walmart. Needless to say I took pictures off all the disgustingness and can hopefully post them in the near future. Even the nightstand had white/foggy stains on it.

Our trip ended on Friday. We asked for a wake-up call, but thankfully I set my own alarm clock as well since the wake-up call never came.

Needless to say we will NOT be returning to a Riu in the future, and probably not to Cabo because of our experience. We were very happy to come home!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank french_vanilah
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

We celebrated our 10 yr wedding anniversary and family trip @ Riu. The location is great and very near downtown. Gorgeous views of the iconic rocks. Clean and hospitable. Downside is the beds are not very comfortable and if your on the first floor you will hear the guest coming in and out of their rooms. Lastly they lights in the hallways are not the best as they can attract Mosquitos. I would stay here again just not on 1st floor.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Have stayed at the Santa Fe two times in the last 3 months. The first stay the end of May was fantastic. However, my most recent stay last week was disappointing. 4 of 6 guests in my party got sick along with many other guests from what I told by other's at the hotel and airport on departure. Building 7 had malfunctions with the fire alarm system and exposed wires were visible in several areas. Only two restaurants were open each day and reservations were next to impossible to get. Housekeeping did not restock used towels and actually took clean towels out of my suite one day. I went with 5 other friends who came because of my review of stay in May. I recommend you stay somewhere else until the management gets a handle on the many service deficiencies. Too bad as I like the location and hotel in general.

6  Thank myron69
Reviewed September 24, 2012

When we came at noon, they said the room is not ready until 3pm. I got the room number, so I went to check it and it was ready and cleaned. They make people wait. Our ocean view was behind palm tree leaves. Not possible to see anything. We asked to change the room and we got the room from the furthest part of the whole complex even hotel was half empty and it was faaar away. I also saw a lady crying at the lobby, because her husband was sick and the aircon was not working. They didn't give them new room in several hours. Compared to last year trip to Riu in Cancun, awful and nonexistent would be words to define the service in this hotel. The men are so rude, if you are not American woman or Spanish speaking. No smile in sight. Especially at the pool bar it was hard to get a drink. Try tipping, no help. The older man, main bar tender over there was the rudest one and the others seemed to imitate him. If you are not their favourite, you will get the cheaper drinks even the guy next to you gets the better one in his glass. Also the "entertainment team" was many times very drunk and inappropriate. Once one drunk one came to sit on my girlfriend’s pool chair, and started to insult her. She had never talked with him before. During 9 days stay, we managed to get 2 restaurant reservations. We were not able to eat at stake house and we had to pay the waiter at the Italian, so we could get a table from there. Never again. Try something else.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Tomppa P
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The cooks and servers did not wear gloves. Flies were all over the food. I got sick the last two days of my week at Cabo San Lucas.
This is supposed to be a 5 star property, but it definitely is not a 5 star property.
The alcohol served on the premises was "call drink" quality, and the premium alcohol was not to be found.
I travel with friends and I would NOT recommend this property.
This property is more on the level of an Embassy Suites with breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: This resort is spread out over a large property and involves too much walking.
3  Thank Rogelio H
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#33 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort...
#21 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!