“The Fabulous RIU Santa Fe”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Ranked #40 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Toronto
“The Fabulous RIU Santa Fe”
Reviewed January 13, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Riu Santa Fe from Jan 5-12. We have travelled to a few all-inclusives before and always do our research ahead of time on TripAdvisor. We also have learned to take the reviews with a grain of salt, as some people really like to complain. When traveling to an all-inclusive, I always keep in mind the relatively small price I am paying for flight, transfer to and from the hotel, hotel, food, drinks, maid service, entertainment etc,. If more people kept this in mind when traveling, they would probably have a much better time.
We had a fabulous time at the Riu Santa Fe. This is by far the newest, nicest resort we have stayed at. We arrived on Saturday Jan. 5 around 11:30 am and had a smooth transfer to the resort. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived, but as we have had this experience every time we have travelled south, we had our bathing suits ready to go in our carry-on luggage. We already had our all-inclusive bracelets, so we headed to the washroom to change and then hit the pool and the bar! Everyone's luggage was delivered to their rooms by the hotel staff, so that was no worry. We relaxed and had some drinks, checked out the grounds and had a few Corona's. A great start to our vacation!
I'll continue with a general rundown of our wonderful week at the Riu Santa Fe:

Weather:
The days were hot, and the nights were cool. We had nothing but beautiful sunny days the whole week, and the evenings were fresh. We were packed accordingly, as we had kept an eye on the weather leading up to our vacation, and researched what the normal temperatures were for this time of year. It is in the desert, so it is nice and dry too, no sweating through dinner! I am puzzled why people in other reviews seemed surprised by the weather, had they not researched the area before booking?

Food:
We thought the food was great! I don't know why anyone would want to have a burger, which seems to be a theme in some reviews, when there is sooooo many other wonderful options. You are away from home, try the local food, try something new! A buffet system is such a great opportunity to try something you haven't had the chance or courage to try before. The main buffet, the Baja California, was delicious and had an amazing array of choices. Breakfast had 3-4 different kinds of eggs, an omelet station, a Mexican section, toast machines, yogurts, fruits, cheeses, cottage cheese, casseroles, bacon, sausage, and lots more. We also had dinner there 3 times. There was the incredible Mexican section with homemade guacomole, pico de galo, tacos etc. I also had grouper, mahi mahi, lamb, veal, steak, chicken, shrimp, mussels, paela.......with all this selection, why would you want a burger? There is also a create your own pasta station in the main buffet.
La Mision, the Mexican restaurant offered a continental breakfast for those late risers who didn't make it to the main buffet for breakfast. Continental doesn't seem like the right word, as there were 3 different kind of eggs available, pancakes, fresh fruit, salad bar, breads, muffins, cheeses, cottage cheese, cereals etc. We ate there almost every morning, and the selection was great, as well as having a beautiful view of the activities pool while you ate. There are cappucino machines in every restaurant and at almost every bar as well, so a coffee is never far away. I'm a tea drinker, and there was a nice selection of tea available as well. Lunch was also offered at La Mision, and had a great selection. You could also take a to go plate with you to the pool or beach if you chose. We had dinner there one night and it was delicious. It is a buffet, which made it great to try lots of different things! A must during your stay.
Torato:
The grill house was also a snack and lunch buffet during the day and is located close to the infinity pools and has an amazing view of the Land's End and the Sea of Cortez. Like La Mision, the variety and selection was amazing. The Rui Santa Fe has the best salad bar and selection of fresh fruits at all the restaurants, of any resort I've ever stayed at. We ate dinner one night here and it was delicious. A must. People just need to keep in mind that they are not at the Keg ordering a $40 steak. Our steaks were delicious and cooked nicely. There were served with a baked potatoes, veggies and three delicious side sauces.
We didn't enjoy the Asian restaurant, or the Italian restaurant very much, and found the food offered for these types of food in the main buffet were better than in the specialty restaurants. The pasta prepared in the pasta station at the main buffet looked much better than what was offered in the buffet of the Italian restaurant. To do it again, we would skip the Asian and Italian specialty restaurants.

Resort:
Beautiful! It was not as huge as we thought it was going to be after reading some reviews. It would be under a ten minute walk from the furthest edge to the other furthest edge. Most walks to get where we needed to go took under 5 minutes. It is well laid out, and there are lots of washrooms. The cleanest washrooms I have ever seen on vacation. There are washrooms in La Mision, which overlooks the activities pool, washrooms in the Torato which overlooks the infinity pools, washrooms outside the Sports Bar/ stage areas and washrooms in the Lobby. You are never far from a washroom, and they are cleaned constantly. The staff at the bars were super friendly and helpful. Israel at the Sports Bar, Daniel at Ole, and Jorge at Tequila were fabulous. The specialty coffees were a huge hit with everyone in the cool evenings.
The shows were lots of fun. We really enjoyed the Miriachi show, Mix Max show, Grease show and International show. We skipped the Miss Riu Show and Riu Couple show as that didn't interest us. We headed into town one afternoon and another evening and had a blast both times. We also did a water taxi ride over to Lover's Beach which was amazing. They take you for a great tour of the Arch and to where the sea lions hang out. We hung out on the beach for about 1.5 hrs and then headed back. You must make sure you take the same boat back so you don't have to pay again. As well, next time I would bring over a couple Corona's in my beach bag. We also walked down the beach one day to the safe swimming area, and had lots of fun there.
Rooms:
Really great. Spacious, very comfy bed, mini fridge well stocked, mini bar, big closet, satelite tv, spacious balcony. There was a mild musty smell when we arrived, but since we kept the balcony door open all the time for that fresh desert air and we had our ceiling fan all the time, the smell was gone within the first day. The bathrooms are very luxurious, and there is always lots of hot water. The in room safe was convenient and easy to use, and there was an ironing board and iron in the closet. Maid service was exceptional. Make sure to put out your green door sign in the morning when you leave though, as that signals to the maids that the room is empty and ready to be cleaned.
Check out was a little bit confusing, as they wouldn't let anyone on the bus without a slip from the counter staff saying your account was closed. Just make sure to get that when you are checking out. The problem was rectified quickly.
This was the best vacation we have been on, and I can't say enough good things about the Riu Santa Fe or Los Cabos. It was a blast! We relaxed, read, swam, did some sight-seeing, played cards, ping-pong, and of course, drank and ate a ton. The setting is so beautiful, I highly recommend this resort. I think more people need to take responsibility of their vacations, and do their research before booking a trip. If you only enjoy swimming in the ocean and don't enjoy pools, this isn't the resort for you. If you are looking for hot, humid Carribean weather, this isn't the part of the country for you. Some people on our plane were even complaining about where their seats on the plane were. Why did they deserve some other seat more than the other person?? Some people will complain, just to complain. Do your research, and keep in mind that an all-inclusive vacation is a relatively inexpensive way to get away. Had we booked our flight, hotel, seperately and had to pay for our transportation to and from the airport, and paid for all the great food and drinks we had, the price of our trip would have been triple.
I can't wait to go back!!

• Liked — beautiful surroundings, great food and drinks, great staff, amazing pools
  • Disliked — when other guests would bring young children into the pool bars....not the fault of the resort
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
118 Thank kvcToronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 13, 2008

We stayed at the RIU Santa Fe from Jan. 4 - 11th. After booking through itravel2000, we began reading the early and very bad reviews and got quite nervous. We even tried to change our reservation to another resort, but the difference in cost was unacceptable.

Needless to say, we were very anxious about getting there. However, we were very happy with most aspects of the resort. Here's our personal rundown:

Checkin: Smooth and timely. No hassles, and good attempts by staff to lighten our tired moods. Here's a tip, though - if you need anything out of your suitcases promptly, take your own luggage up to your room. We waited several hours, and ended up missing the dinner buffet.

Rooms: Large, clean, and convenient. We were in Building 4, which we thought was perfect. We had a great pool view, and didn't have to walk too far for anything really. Fridge was kept well-stocked on a DAILY basis, and we never ran out of soap, shampoo, towels, etc. Our biggest complaint was the beds. At 40, I'm too old to sleep on a slab of rock, or at least that's what it felt like. Housekeeping brought up some foam toppers for us and that made it bearable, though by the end of the trip it took me an hour to work out the kinks every morning. There IS heat in the rooms if you need it, and the air conditioning works just fine. Be aware that the a/c won't work if your balcony door is open. The safe worked great, and gave us good peace of mind.
Also, do NOT close the very outside door (there are small hallways that lead to two rooms with an outside door) or you'll have to go get someone to let you in. All in all, the rooms were quiet and clean. Here's something I found out - if you need something for your room, don't call what the phone menu tells you to (826 or something like that). Instead, dial '9', and you'll get the proper person. I think this may be one of the problems people have been having regarding getting room supplies.

Food: We really had no complaint here at all. We ate all breakfasts at the California buffet, and were always very happy. They had a huge variety of differently cooked eggs, bacon, sausages, hash browns, cereals, yogurts, and tons of fresh fruit. The fresh juice 'smoothies' were fantastic - try the 'Vitamin' juice that has celery, apple, and cactus in it, it's a shot of wakeup and delicious, too. The cappucino machine is wonderful, if you want cinnamon for the top of your lovely foamy milk, ask for 'canela'. I got into the habit of getting up and heading to the buffet by about 8 am, getting a large foam cup of cappucino and booking our dinner reservation then. It's beautiful and quiet to walk around the big resort at that time. For the a la cartes, we tried them all. Book them at the reservation desk just outside the California buffet from 8 - 11 in the morning. Don't leave it, or you might be eating at the buffet, which would be just fine in our opinions.

The Steakhouse was good, good steak done a little more rare than what we asked for, but good flavor. This is the only a la carte that serves you your main course, and you help yourself to appies and dessert. We really didn't mind this at all, especially with two growing boys (11 and 15) that always need food NOW.

The Italian was our favourite. Yes, it's ALL buffet. We loved it this way, we got to try all the main courses, not just one like we would have if we had to order off the menu. Awesome pasta, beef tips with gorgonzola sauce, and the seafood risotto was fantastic. Really good food here.

The Mexican was really good, too. Again, ALL buffet with excellent proteins like chicken, beef, seafood. The make-your-own fajitas was perfect. Carlos is the manager here, and he'll go out of his way to make your meal experience a good one. This restaurant (La Mision) is also the snack buffet, which is a very loose term because of the HUGE selection of cold and hot fresh foods that include fresh cooked burgers, nachos, pork, beef, chicken, fruit and salads. One day we had a massive pan of spicy peel and eat prawns, fantastic!

The Asian was our least favourite, mostly because we're not big sushi fans. You can't blame a restaurant if you don't like the type of food they're serving. Still, we found lots of other stuff to eat here, and had two helpings of the delicious fried ice cream. Yum!!

Another tip - pay attention to the times the buffets are open or you'll have to rely on less-than-average nachos or pale sandwiches from the Sports Bar. Between 5:30 and 6:30, that is your only choice for food. Hit the buffet before it closes, and you should be good until dinner.

Tip the waiters, even at the breakfast buffet. These fellows work hard, and by the end of the trip, our favourite waiter there was bringing us all our coffees, juices, etc., and was very involved. Our 11 year old was the hit, and Omar teased him all the time.

Bars: well, they're everywhere, and the drinks are free (not counting the extra you paid for the all-inclusive). What more could you ask for? My hubby thought the draft Corona was not very good, so drank Caesars instead. The guys ended up drunk every night, so I'm guessing the alcohol was more than adequate. I do agree that taking along a larger mug is a good idea - if you forget yours, go to WalMart and grab a couple for cheap, cheap.

Pools: What can I say? There is more pool here than most people could swim in over a week's time. Very clean, gorgeous layouts, and a kabillion loungers both in the sun and the shade. As for the temperatures, we found they varied over the week. The big pools were usually warm, a bit too much for my liking, and the front infinity pool was nice, too. I never found them cold, just refreshing. My sister will disagree, but she likes them like a bathtub, lol.

Tours: We took two tours through Sunquest, the 'Taste of Cabos', and the Todos Santos/Hotel California. I can't praise these highly enough, both were unbelievable. On the Taste of Cabos, we went on the glass-bottom boat ride first, and were lucky enough to spot some whales from far away. What does our captain do? We go flying over the ocean in this glass bottom boat to chase the whales and got some fantastic up close pics and video of them. Very exciting, and worth the money we paid for the whole tour right there. We then went shopping in Cabo, took in Cabo Wabo, then off to lunch in San Jose. This was the most unbelievable lunch - the restaurant is rated in the top ten in Baja, and the steak and the chicken were the best we've ever had. Then shopping in San Jose, a trip to the glass blowing factory, and back to the RIU. Rico, our tour guide, was so informative, we all learned so much about Baja, tequila, whales, dolphins, and much more. Our kids had a better education this week than they would have had in school.

The Todos Santos tour was great, too, and seeing the Hotel California was the highlight of the trip for our 15-year-old son who plays lead guitar in a rock band. Shopping here in Todos Santos was the best overall, I thought.

Weather: cooler temperature-wise than we've come to expect from Mexico. Listen to the reviews and take long pants and a sweater, you'll use it in the evenings.

Overall, we had a great time. I like the area very much, but due to hard beds, won't be going back to this resort. Still recovering from sore hips and shoulders...

I'll post some pics when I get them downloaded from my camera. If anyone has questions, email me through TripAdvisor, and I'll answer as best I can.

• Liked — Beauty of the resort, food, service.
  • Disliked — The rock-hard beds!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
64 Thank Time2Chill
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed January 12, 2008

I went to the Riu property in Cabo to join a group of friends for NYE. My experience started off badly after having to wait 4 hours to check in. While I realize that the property is large and NYE is a busy time of year. this was unacceptable given that check out is at 12pm and check in is at 3pm.

I was amazed to read from other reviews that this is considered a 5 star resort. although the staff was friendly, they routinely made promises that they didn't keep, and I quickly learned not to ask for anything at night. For example, after I finally checked into my room, I was ready to take a relaxing bath, but the tub was not clean. I called three times for housekeeping, but after several promises, no one showed up. I finally got someone over the next day, who tried to argue with me that it was paint residue instead of human grime in the tub. I scraped some off with my fingernail to show her that she was wrong. After scrubbing the tub myself, I finally got her to get some bleach and after that everything was fine - until I found a gigantic tropical cockroach dying near my suitcase : (

I also found out from other friends who were staying there that I was supposed to have bottled water in my room. It took two days to get that, along with shampoo, and someone from the front desk finally delivered it themselves after I called 3 times for it.

I agree with some of the positive reviews - the propery is beautiful, the rooms are okay - best views are in the 7300 building overlooking the courtyard and pool as well as the ocean, but it's a hike to get back to the lobby and to most of the restaurants on property.

There are also lots of activies for families, and the alcohol flows regularly even in the rooms, but honestly, the food sucks. The faster you get off property into Cabo for a meal at Mi Casa or another fine restaurant the better. There are several tour companies with reps in the lobby to help you book tours and activities off property. If you take a day tour - opt for the 3 hour vs. the 6 hour option.

Riu Santa Fe has an okay gym and a nice but rather expensive independent spa on the property. There are also vendors selling wares on a regular basis, but they only take cash and there are NO ATMs on the property.

I think Cabo would be much better to visit during the spring or summer. It's a desert, so during the winter the nights are freezing cold - particularly b/w xmas and NYE, and there is NO HEAT in the rooms, so you will FREEZE no matter what!

I might give Cabo another chance, but I would definitely not stay at this property. I wish I had researched it first on trip advisor to temper my expectations. I understand that other hotels in the Riu chain offer better service, but I'm not sure that I would stay at one given my experience in Mexico.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The service and the food - quality wasn't there for the price paid.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
7 Thank Millebug
Reviewed January 12, 2008

5 day stay Dec 21 - 25
The place is large and very nice. The landscaping is gorgeous. The pools are fantastic. The large one is on the cooool side. If you can brave it, it's great to swim in. I was returning from a rather long walk and was hot ~ I walked in with no problem making it look like the temp was bearable (haha) ~ swam across to the other side and walked back out. It was great. A gentleman was starting to walk in as I was getting out and said he may rethink getting in.
They were packed on Christmas eve and day. It's difficult to please everyone when a place is full and it's a major holiday. In the main buffet which was the only place for dinner on Xmas eve they were doing their best to keep up with the food demand. The cooks were cooking non-stop. The cold food tables were being replenished as soon as it was near the end. They were doing a great job for the amount of guests. If you wanted something in particular that wasnt' in the heating plate you would be best to wait there until it was done.
The place looked fantastic too on the eve. There were so very many various sculptures thru out the dining area. It was beautiful.
I had no problem finding something good to eat. One nite we ate at the Mexican restaurant. I wasn't thrilled, so we took a walk to the main buffet and they had EVERYthing there. So I found something more pleasing. (Didn't try any other ala cartes)..
Prompt room cleaning and a good job too. The AC didn't seem correct. It made the room rather muggy. So we just left the door open. It was most definately cool enough at nite to not use the AC, I kept the ceiling fan on and fell asleep to the sound of the surf.
The bed was a firm comfortable. Maybe because it is new?? I was surprised that I found it comfy. No synthetic feeling thru the linens either. Such a nice feeling. The pillows were also decent. You gotta be pleased with this. I was thrilled.
Didn't get to use the spa, yet heard it was nice.
We were in building 7, which is on the beach side. Which is also in front of the pool bar. In the morning they "were" putting coffee at the bar by 7 a.m., but on the 24th there was never any out. I didn't go out early on the 25th so I don't know if they put it out or not. If none was put out and you wanted coffe you have to walk up front to the main buffet.
The room which was next to ours was the corner suite unit. It had a small jetted tub on the upper level. It was rather small. I don't know what the cost for that room would be, but one thing is that you get a great view.
One day ~ one of us left the safe open. He went upstairs and hurrys down and informs me the the safe was open. He "asked" why I had put out the Do Not Disturb?? I was all confused. I told him how I had left an item in the safe and was it that way? I go upstairs and look in there --> Nothing was touched. Come to find out the cleaning guy opened the door and saw the safe open, put the sign on the door and left. How great is that?
I went on a whale watching boat. Booked thru Caboticket.com, it is $49pp thru them. (I walked down to the ME where their little office/hut is located to set up my dive ~ ~ which was fantastic!!). Take a look at his site. There's several adventures listed there and he replies promptly. I decided to do the whales once we were down there and Traun was great.
Scuba caribe is on the beach side of the Riu's. I've used them before in Cancun, but getting used to having smaller crowds of people on a boat for any activity, unless it's a party boat that looks safe to me.
The marina is in town. I thought it easier to take the water taxi during the day and we took a cab back at nite.
This was my first time spent in Cabo, and I had a great time. It's a dryer climate and cooool at nite.
One other important note for those of us with longer nails. The toilet flush is on the top of the tank lid. I ended up chipping both of my thumbnails. Of course on this short trip I didn't bring my nail polish.
Have a great time
I would return to the Santa Fe

• Stayed December 2007
39 Thank Zeeka
london, ontario
Reviewed January 11, 2008

I stayed at the Riu Sante Fe from January 3rd-10th and I have nothing but great things to say about it.
This was my second time to Cabo San Lucas and previously I stayed at the RIU Palace (the Riu Santa Fe was under construction at that time). I had read reviews prior to going to the Sante Fe and I was a bit turned off until I got there.
Keep in mind, some people have nothing better to do than to complain about everything. The weather was incredible, very HOT and sunny everyday, food was amazing and a huge selection from the buffet and various restaurants and the staff was extremely friendly. The all inclusive drinking of alcoholic beverages was well worth it.

I was actually happy that we did not get an ocean-view room because the walk back and forth would have been a bit much, but great exercise for sure. Our room was very clean and room service came everyday. Be sure to take advantage of the safe in the room to keep money, passports...etc because there have been instances of a few items being stolen.

Other than that, this place is rated #1 along with the Riu Palace. I would definately go back without a doubt.
For anyone looking for a great vacation, beautiful resort, great food and staff, this is definately the place to be.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
38 Thank valleygirl001
BC
Reviewed January 10, 2008

My fiance and I headed over to the Riu Santa Fe for a one week stay from Dec. 28 to Jan. 04.
We got a pretty good deal for a 5 star resort and with both of us reading reviews on travel advisor, we went to this hotel with a very open mind.

But, saying that to fear food is a whole other story. My fiance ate a hamburger New Years Eve and was throwing up within minutes. Violently. It was very frightening. I called down to the front desk to let them know what was going on and if they had any gravol? They said no they could not help. I filed a complaint about the incident the next day asking to speak to the manager. No luck. Someone did call 3 days later to ask if he was OK. A bit late.

The hotel itself was very nice, very clean and yes VERY LARGE!
We did check out the pool by the ocean front and yep it was cold. We didn't think this would be a problem but January is not that hot in Cabo so we found ourselves jumping out to lay in the sun to warm up.
Drinks were good; espresso martini tasty!

I have never experienced so MANY vendors trying to sell their stuff to us on the beach. They will come up and interrupt you, if you make eye contact with them they will all flock to you.
I have been to places in Mexico before, as well as Belize and Guatemala, but this was loco! We also had at least 10 vendors a day ask us if we want weed or cocaine. This was a bit disconcerting. I guess if you were looking for it you would have no problem at all finding it here.

Don't expect your room to get cleaned everyday unless you put out the little tag saying "please clean my room". We figured that out day two.
Tip the ladies, they appreciate it and do do a good job.

Shower was nice and warm.
A couple channels on the TV that play english movies; came in handy when we were laid out sick.
I unfortuntaly contracted a very bad cold down there so spent a couple days taking it pretty easy watching movies.

It was extremely cold in our room the first couple nights. Turned out the air-conditioner was stuck on "ON". A maintenance man came and fixed it and we were alot more comfortable.

So, all and all we were pretty neutral.
We saw other places we would might have liked to stay a bit more.
The Riu Santa Fe would be good for families, as the children seemed to be well entertained and because of the large size of the resort there was always somewhere to explore.

• Liked — Beach front/close to town
  • Disliked — Food/Front desk service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
20 Thank BcWinterbird
Ontario
Reviewed January 9, 2008

Just returned from 1 week at Riu Sante Fe we enjoyed our stay at sante fe would recomend it to our friends, food was good with lots of selection our room was kept clean although you will need to get used to the musty smell, All in all this was a great stay in a beautiful area I appreciate the staffs hard work and willingness to make your stay enjoyable. Lots to do a this resort beautiful pools and location.
I need ed a room change and mgmt was quick to oblige. We did a lot of walking around this resort which sure helped burn calories I didn't mind the walks at all rather nejoyed them,

Stayed January 2008
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#19 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#17 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#11 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!