“Quiet, Beautiful Resort.”

Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences
Ranked #20 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed October 14, 2010

To celebrate our wedding anniversary, my wife and I subscribed to an independent's offer to travel to Mexico and check out the Hacienda Encantada resort. Their offer included a 6 day\5 night stay and included almost all food, drinks and activities the resort offered for a pretty low price. We did have to attend a low pressure sales presentation on investing in this property to get the price offered.

Accommodations: Our room was a studio room, ground floor in their phase 2 building. We had a wonderful view looking out towards Cabo San Lucas and over the Sea of Cortez. Our room was very clean. The studio was quite large for lounging in. It also had a nice deck with nice chairs to go outside and relax on. The bathroom was large with a very large shower area, jetted tub and isolated room where the toilet is. In summary...A+ on the studio room at this resort.

Facilities: There were multiple pools that one could use. They are beautiful. Each had a food snack that had the ability to be accessed from the pool. They each had a very nice patio area where games are offered. There also is an area for kids to play that also has some water activities. The lower pools look out over the Sea of Cortez and offer an amazing view especially when the sun is going down in the evening. The resort has free wireless internet which worked extremely well. We used Skype to keep in touch with family...who live all over the world. They have a small store, a nice workout facility and a small spa. We did not use the spa. We did use the work out facility and found that to be quite nice. I would give the facilities an A.

Food: The resort does have one formal restaurant on site. It does have the two patio bars and food shacks during day time hours. The quality of the food is quite good. In five nights of dining at this location, we only had one bad experience. At the restaurant , my wife ordered a Filet Mignon. The piece of meat we received was as tough as my shoe. But all other food was quite yummy. Now having said that the quality is pretty good...the price is quite high. Our dinners that included non-alcoholic drinks, an appetizer and two main entrees averaged around $80 for the two of us. Seemed a bit high. But...the view from their restaurant is quite awesome and you are paying a bit for the location. Food...B+.

Location: Hacienda Encantada is about 7 kilometers away from the downtown\marina area of Cabo San Lucas. The hotel does offer a shuttle into its sister hotel (Marina Fiesta) which sits right on the marina. We rented a car for part of our trip and we were able to use the valet parking at Marina Fiesta when travelling into and exploring Cabo San Lucas. We like the quietness of being away from the downtown area. Much quieter...which is what we wanted. It was a little odd having to take a very undeveloped dirt road from the main highway to get to the resort. But the resort is about two thirds the way complete on a new road that will eliminate this dirt road. It really is no big deal...just odd. We liked the location of this property...we would give it an A.

We enjoyed Hacienda Encantada. I would consider restaying at this site if I ever have the need to return to the San Jose Del Cabo\Cabo San Lucas area.

3  Thank Farmington_Resident

Reviewed October 11, 2010

First, I must say that I am a "Founding Member" of the resort. One of the first to buy there when there was nothing but dirt. It seemed like we were crazy at the time...buying something that wasn't even built in Mexico...but boy are we glad we did!

The resort has turned out to be a gem. I can't believe there are a couple of people on this forum rating the hotel as poor or terrible...are they certain they stayed at Hacienda Encantada? I would recommend the resort to anyone and several of our friends that have visited the resort with us have also purchased there...and for a lot more money than we paid pre-construction.

The location is stunning, the pools awesome, the staff is friendly and the food is very good. Some folks say it is too remote, but I would never stay at one of the resorts close to town. If you like a lot of teenagers getting drunk and lots of noise, stay at a resort close to town.

We are returning in January 2011 with several of our friends that also own there and can't wait!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travel334
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Am I really awarding this place five stars? For the value we got, YES!

We booked our vacation to Hacienda Encantada (HE) through IMS Vacations, which was running a promotion for 6 days / 5 nights all-inclusive for $399. http://loscabos5star.com/?gclid=CJStpazCv6QCFSD3iAodKV_BCw Too good to be true, or the resort is going to be junk, we thought. But we read the reviews and we spoke to the IMS sales rep on the phone and eventually purchased the 5 days / 4 nights package for a bit less. Either package required us to attend a 90 minute timeshare presentation onsite.

Summary – Overall, the resort was GREAT with only a few problems / issues.

1: IMS Vacations (booking) - If you book through IMS, don’t buy your airline tickets right away. IMS will charge you for the package immediately, but you won’t get confirmation from the hotel for your preferred dates for a few days. We spoke with a representative at HE by phone the day after purchasing the package, and he confirmed that the deal was legitimate, but it took him about 4 days to confirm our actual dates.

2: Airport transfers - We were picked up at the airport by TransCabo and delivered to HE as promised as part of our package. For the return HE arranged for TransCabo transport at $18/person.

3: Room – The room was a good sized hotel room with a balcony and a kitchenette with a full sized refrigerator [HE is a timeshare property]. Importantly, it was very clean. The bathroom was awesome – it was huge, tastefully designed, with two sinks, a large shower with plenty of water, a toilet that could be separated by a door, and a whirlpool bathtub. Everything we used in the room worked well and the room was CLEAN. The bed however was a bit soft. The décor of the room didn’t fit our personal taste, but overall it was a very nice room. Caveat for those that want a view of the sea: Our room was in Phase 2, which is the new building behind the original Phase 1 building. All of the rooms in Phase 1 are directly facing the Sea of Cortez and appear to have great, unobstructed views of the sea. In Phase 2 if you are not on one of the higher floors, your view of the sea may be blocked by the Phase 1 building. We were on the 4th floor of the Phase 2 building and we had a view of the sea, but only over the rooftop of the Phase 1 building. The landscaping and building colors are pleasing, so all in all, not a bad view for the price paid. If you’re paying full price, I would definitely try to get a Phase 1 room if you care about the view.

4: Food – We had the all-inclusive package and had access to all the restaurants onsite. We’re from San Francisco and have little tolerance for bad food. Overall, the food was very good and in some cases excellent. Everything was freshly cooked and tasty, and the staff was happy to make any modifications to the menu items or accommodate special requests that we made. When I commented that the orange juice and the yogurt at breakfast both already had sugar in them, the staff explained that that’s how the products arrive at the hotel. The waiter on his own then brought me a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice! (it was pretty sour, but I was impressed by his attitude towards customer service) The patio bar by the pool had the best food – light, healthy Mexican fare with a smattering of popular American favorites. The fish tacos and chicken dishes were our top choices, and could be modified / prepared any way we wanted. The main restaurant (Las Marias) similarly had very good Mexican food served in a bit more formal manner. The mushroom appetizer, arrachera, and all the chicken dishes were fantastic. The breakfast buffet was ample and included fresh fruit, a variety of cooked items, and a made to order egg station. Overall, for an all-inclusive resort the food was great, although the choices could become somewhat limited for a longer stay. Our package also included all domestic drinks. The mixed drinks were average, and the beer selection was good, but the wine wasn’t great.

5: Staff - Generally, the staff was excellent. This was probably the BEST part of the resort. All of the staff were friendly, pleasant, willing to help, and accommodated all of our [minimal] special requests (see Food above). Arturo, Martha, Toño, and Alberto were standouts among a strong field.

6: The bad – A) The gym appeared to be new and had a good amount of equipment, machines, and free weights, but we were unable to use it. The new rubber floor seemed to still be outgassing [releasing a strong odor] and it was impossible to be in the room and not be overcome by the gas. There was nobody in the gym the 2 times we went to check it out. B) Highly polluting golf carts used for inter-property transport! Every time one went by, we had to hold our breath for about 30 seconds until the fumes dissipated. These carts are used all the time to ferry guests, workers, etc. all over the property. The owners should get a clue and get electric! C) Non-stop music at the pools. It was all 80s all the time, (with a very impressive array of songs!) but c’mon, we were there to relax and get away from it all. Hearing American music blaring at the pools continuously was not putting us in the relaxed, south of the border mood we were expecting. D) No swimming beach – we knew this before we went. The beach was also very rocky so it wasn’t even really possible to take a long walk on the beach. HE provides a shuttle every two hours to the Marina in Cabo, which is a short walk to the beaches there.

For entertainment, they had different live music performers every night (free). The WiFi (also free) worked everywhere at about 1 Mbps. Overall, it was a very nice resort. And yes, the all-inclusive package delivered at the price stated. Highly recommended.

4  Thank pedalpower_sf
Reviewed October 8, 2010

This was the 1st time we actually stayed in Cabo, we usually just stop by for the day when we go on a cruise, but it was worth the stay. If you want somewhere nice to go and very quite go in September, there was hardley any people there and we were treated very nice there. The only thing you need to worry about is the Timeshare people, they will drive you nuts. The overall trip was great, Just make sure you review your bill before you leave the resort as they charged us for water we NEVER used, but they were very nice about removing them from the bill, I was just disappointed that no one ever mention to us about a resort fee and they charge you daily for that. These are only little things, The people there are so nice. I would recommend you to rent a car because unless you want to get on the bus,taxis and shuttle are expensive.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Do not sign a contract for a timeshare/part ownership with Hacienda Encantada/ Marina Fiesta, they will not honor it. When we were in the process of purchasing our timeshare with Hacienda Encantada seemed like a good deal, a beautiful location and we could trade the timeshare every other year for a different location we were told. In 3 different documents i signed, it clearly stated that we receive 40 consecutive visits in 40 years, and that we get a yearly visit every year for 40 years with my family. In different lettering there was a simple word “biannual” in a different section of the page, which we were told BY THE SALES REP. meant that we can trade our timeshare for a different location every other year, but that per the contract we get a visit once a year for 40 years. This deal was made on the sales floor of the actual resort. Once i signed the contracts however and they took our money it became a completely different story. When we first started to try and book our trips we were told that we would not be able to get our yearly visits like we payed for, and were told that because the there was a simple word “biannual” on our contract we could only visit every other year. This didn't make sense to us since the sales representative had told us that it just meant that we could trade it every other year and it didn't state anywhere in the contract otherwise, and we didn't understand then, why in a number of different places in the 3 documents we signed it said “ One weekly interval per year” (in the condo share interval purchase contract and security agreement) and “ 40 years of usage, 40 weeks and Your vacation ownership membership gives you the right to use and enjoy an interval of time every year for the next 40 years i.e. 40 weeks for a 40 year membership”( in the ownership membership guide), and in the certificate of vacation ownership “Use season or week for each 40 consecutive years” and “ 40 consecutive use periods” each of these quotes directly from 3 different documents signed by myself and resort representatives. So I decided to meet with the representatives personally on our first trip down here. A mistake that would cost me hours of my trip. I was tossed between representatives who all told me they could do nothing to help me and that because it says biannual in my contract I would only be able to visit every other year (even thought the sales rep gave me a different definition before he had my money and it wasn't defined as that anywhere in the contracts) and that everywhere it said otherwise was a “mistake”. So I was told that everything that both parties signed was a mistake. At least they had the decency to admit there was some sort of mistake going on, and that they could understand where I was coming from, however that changed when they transferred me to a higher up named “Maria” who I was told could fix my problem. She immediately told me there as nothing she could do. Maria refused to even admit their was a problem in the contract, when I asked her to explain the number of different places where it said every year for 40 consecutive years she refused to respond. And when I asked her if it was a mistake, as the other representatives had said, she told me “You tell me” refusing to acknowledge the issue at all. Her solution was to tell me she would try and schedule and appointment for her to meet with the manager, but it probably wouldn't be until I left, and that she would discuss it with the lawyer who she told me didn't speak English and that she had no idea when he would be in next. I found this entire discussion highly unprofessional. The facts simply are that both sides signed a contract and that they refuse to honor their part or do anything about it. The only offer they made was to fix the issue for five thousand dollars (US) which seems like extortion to me. So while the resort was beautiful (im writing this from my balcony) I would not under any circumstances advise signing a contract with them unless you are prepared to go to court over it in Mexico, because they will not honor it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank 1Murphy_10
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We booked this resort through "Sky Auction" and we probably got what we paid for. This is labelled as 5 star and they are trying, but they are not at that level. We had a special request for Phase I; however, they said they remembered the request but lost the piece of paper they wrote it on so wouldn't be able to fill that request. We asked for a manager or someone in charge and were told that they were all away and would be back tomorrow. The next day they said that there were still no managers at the resort. In other words, management is almost non existent and the resort reflects this. They promised to move us to Phase I and when we asked about it, along with other people at the front desk, he finally said "Okay, I lied". There is no room available in Phase I.
Our room had been locked up for quite some time; therefore, they had to air it out and plug in the appliances. As mentioned in previous reviews, the electrical is very inconvenient. My husband went out of the room and I was in the shower. Within a couple of minutes, the electrical shut down and I was in the dark. Also, as soon as you leave the room, the air conditioning shuts down as well as the lights; therefore, after being out for a few hours, the room is hot and it takes awhile for the room to cool down.
The website states that the smallest room is 800 square feet. Having booked through Sky Auction, we thought that we would get the smallest room and that we would be satisfied with 800 square feet. Well, the smallest room is actually closer to 500 square feet.
Maid service was minimal and most days we were given fresh towels.
The singer in the courtyard was great and entertaining.
We did not eat at the restaurant due to the feedback from other people staying there.
There was supposed to be a laundry room for us to use and we did find it(next to the gym) ; however, when we asked what currency to put into the machines, they informed us that the laundry room was not available for anyone to use. We felt a little odd hand washing our laundry and hanging it outside but found that there were a few rooms where people were hanging their laundry over the balconies. Not a great vision for a 5 star.
The best thing about this resort is the infinity pool and the nice view from the pool.
The resort is very out of the way. We had a rental car and would not recommend to stay there without one. Driving in Cabo is easy.
Would we stay there again? No - there are lots of other nice resorts in Cabo and there are lots of good deals right now.

Reviewed October 1, 2010

After reading other reviews on Trip Advisor about this hotel, I was really excited to stay there. It was a mistake. Although the hotel is absolutely beautiful and the staff friendly, there was no doubt that the hidden costs and overpriced meal options felt like highway robbery. Here is an example, when the wait staff told us to make a reservation for a table with a great view "very romantic" we thought, why not? I'll tell you why not, because at the end of our meal (the food was horrible), we were served the bill for our meal and another bill, a $50 charge for the table itself!!!! All the advertisements say that there are three restaurants, but only one was open for dinner so dining options were very limited and to be honest, the food was not good at all. I ordered shrimp tacos and they came with the intestinal track still in them! To get to town you must pay $10 per person to take the hotel's shuttle. If you want to cook in your room I recommend getting a car and going to Wallmart, not shopping at the mini mart which has nothing and is twice price! Now, something positive, again its beautiful but also the guy who plays guitar at night is hilarious and its fun to drink with others staying at the hotel listening to him. Happy hour is a nice treat, other than that drinks are about $10 each, but each server tends to charge you differently for them. My recommendation? Stay somewhere else, but if you decide to stay at Hacienda Encantada bring your own booze, avoid the activities director, DON'T sign up for a horseback ride (worst experience of my life and I own horses) and DON'T do the tour, its not worth it and if you don't buy a time share they make you feel horrible!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple