We stayed at the Hacienda Encantada from December 16th through 28th this year, and had our wedding on Saturday the 21st.
The first week was amazing. It's the same week we were there last year - *before* it gets busy for the holidays. It was peaceful and wonderful when we arrived. I had messed up and arrived one day before I had told Edith, the wedding planner, that we would be checking in. Karla at the front desk was surprised to see us a day early, but our room was ready for us anyway and she graciously checked us in. Manuel the bellman even went to the shop to grab sodas, beers, and waters because the fridge wasn't stocked yet. Then, since we'd gotten there late thanks to American Airlines once again screwing us up, we were starving and we were delighted to see the new taco bar that's been added since last year (near the firepit and tequila bar). The tacos are AMAZING! You can choose from chicken, al pastor, beef, Spanish sausage, and other options, with corn or flour tortillas, and they're made to order. Delicious!
On the 17th through the 20th, our friends and family arrived, and they all were amazed by how beautiful the resort is. We were able to have group dinners at the restaurant without making reservations, and while I'd describe the service as kind of Mediterranean in its pace (i.e., not American-snappy-fast), it was fine and they were very attentive. During the day we were always able to get loungers by the lower pool / the cliffs overlooking the sea, and our friends could sit next to us or wherever they wanted. Those who love to hang out in the pool and drink were able to do that all day, and those who wanted to do activities and excursions set those up for themselves and went and had a blast. The free shuttle is still a great way to get into town to do some sightseeing or visit the busy beach area, but it's great to get back to the peace and quiet of the Hacienda.
Our wedding was unbelievable and definitely exceeded my expectations. Edith is SUPER nice and great to work with, and she got every detail right. The planning process was very easy and low-stress because they have preferred vendors they work with, and you don't have to go through the hassle of vetting them out. The musicians, florist (Cabo Floral Studios), DJ, bartenders and waitstaff, as well as Edith's assistants Jessie and Cindy, executed the ceremony and reception flawlessly. For the ceremony, we had the beach area above the cliffs, and it was breathtakingly beautiful - just before sunset. Then we moved up to the terrace for cocktails, and finally up to the very top level for the reception. I would recommend this place to anyone for a destination wedding.
The second week got a little hectic, and I do see where some of the latest negative reviews are coming from. With the hotel packed to capacity for the holidays, service did get slower. The thing that bugged us the most was that they put a huge extended family with NINE KIDS in the two or three rooms right next to the honeymoon suite. The kids were yelling and screaming the entire time. Then they'd come down to the lower pool with huge pool floats and take over that area. Then one night at dinner, we admittedly didn't make a reservation, but the only place they could seat us was right next to the table of nine kids! At that point we left and went to the taco bar, then we figured we'd come back up to the restaurant and have dessert. We sat at the bar and ordered some tequila and carrot cake, but they *never brought it.* So we left and were frustrated.
A word about the food - there are a LOT of complaints about it in these reviews. I don't know why, it's actually pretty good, and it's improved since last year. The steaks are cooked better (last year you couldn't seem to get rare, just well-done). And just overall it seems to have been spruced up. And the sushi bar and taco bar are GREAT additions. If you're not doing the all-inclusive the prices seem pretty crazy-high to me, but the value of the AI plan is fabulous in my opinion. Our guests liked the food, and we got a lot of compliments on the wedding dinner (we chose to do a buffet because we didn't feel like finding out what everyone wanted for an entrée, but you can do sit-down dinner too, and it's from a special banquet menu).
Bottom line, I would still absolutely recommend this resort, and DEFINITELY for a wedding; however, not during the peak holiday weeks. Just before the holidays is fine, but it's just too crazy around Christmas / New Year's, and the guests get more obnoxious as lots of families show up. Ok, I'm sure our guests were kind of obnoxious too, especially at night by the firepit. I apologize to anyone we annoyed.
So, 5 stars for the wedding and the week leading up to it, 3 stars for the second week, averages out to a 4-star review. Our guests could not stop raving about the place and what a wonderful relaxing time they had. We wish we could do it again! A special thank you to Edith and her assistants who took it over the top!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unique and breathtakingly beautiful, this spectacular contemporary hacienda style luxury all-inclusive resort located on the tourist corridor in Cabo San Lucas offers magnificent panoramic views to the Sea of Cortes, romantic settings, distinctive dining, spacious and luxurious accommodations, and a variety of venues for special events. Your will be amazed of the bright, terracotta colored, Mexican hacienda style buildings that are beautifully decorated with handmade Talavera tile murals, vases, classical sculptures, Spanish colonial fountains, contemporary art for contrast, and upscale traditional Mexican furnishing, driving them to experience an authentic Mexican ambiance throughout their stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Hotwire, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Encantada Resort And Spa
- Hacienda Encantada Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos