“Can't wait to go back....”

Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences
Ranked #19 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Elk Grove, California
“Can't wait to go back....”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

We had 2 families totaling 8 people stay in a 2-bedroom 3 full bath suite in Phase 1 from June 18-29. We had comfortable accommodations and did not feel cramped in at all. In fact, it's very spacious, the biggest suite we've stayed in. We especially love the beautiful room decorations which reminds us we are in Mexico, not in a "modern" hotel room. We are owners since 2007 and we saw some additions to the resort. The new entrance is gorgeous and grand and the paved road was a welcome surprise! We arrived late at night but the staff from the valet/bell boys to the reception staff made it easy for us to get into our room to get our much needed rest. We woke up to great views of the ocean and we started the day getting a few stuff at the mini-market on the first floor to make breakfast. Later we walked around the resort to familiarize ourselves with the additions. They have a small spa that I did not use this time so I cannot comment on it. They also have a small "temporary" gym in Phase II. I was later told by sales staff that construction of the 20,000 sq. ft. spa/gym overlooking the ocean will start in 6 months and be completed 18 months later. I asked about a bbq grill and they said phase III will have lots of bbq grills. They also said they are trying to get a beach area in front of the resort but there has been lots of oppositions to this - I hope to see this materialize in the near future. I was also glad to see a laundry room so we don't have to pack so much clothes. It cost $4 each wash/dry and you bring/buy your own soap/softener. They had a great kid's area in phase II with a water park, playground, wading pool. My neice and nephews ages 4,5 and 7 had a blast! My sister and brother in law, who spent their first time here, said the pictures online does not do justice to how beautiful and breathtaking HE is! My sister said she this place is AMAZING! We all attended the Tuesday Night Social that starts at 6 p.m. You must go to this. They had free drinks and appetizers, shows, and games with prizes. Later, my sister and I played blackjack for prizes. We had a great time! Speaking of a great time, the activities coordinator Fernand is wonderful! He went around greeting everyone and encourages people to join their activities. He was great with the kids. My nephews Bryce and Ryland liked him so much, Bryce went to the store and offered Fernand some of his Twix chocolate bar. Thank you Fernand for putting lots of smiles and laughter on our faces! We also like that they have entertainment almost every night. I didn't get his name but the entertainer who sings almost every night at phase II reminds me of my dad so he was soooo wonderful. They also have themed entertainment at night which I was very happy to see. All in all, we had a wonderful experience and can't wait to come back. The staff were very nice and are happy to assist us. The grounds are well-kept.

Room Tip: Buy a timeshare here
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Polish first
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We traded through Interval for this resort. We were a little worried because we were in Cabo for 2 weeks. The first week we stayed at CaboVillas which is right in the heart of Cabo. Once we realized how far away this resort was from the heart of Cabo we became a little concerned. They have a shuttle but the last trip back from downtown is at 8:30 so if you want to go out you need to plan on a high priced cab ride back. The resort is gorgeous, nice furniture & friendly staff. Very high end resort. I would recommend staying here if you want a solid timeshare with great views & you aren't interested in much of the downtown Cabo experience.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shazaam2010
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Stayed here in February, 2011 with some friends while in Cabo for a fishing trip. The resort is very nice. The suites are beautiful and many have spectacular views. The pools are also fantastic. The resort is still under construction. It has only one restaurant, which was just fair. The place was unbeleivably quiet. If you want to party, this is not the place for you. If you want to relax, you will enjoy this resort. There are some great restaurants in Cabo. My favorit was the Cabo Cantina. If you want to go fishing, I strongly recommend the Bob Marlin, owned by Jerry. I did a separate review of our fantastic two days of fishing.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I highly recommend this resort, especially if you are a bit tired of the downtown Cabo scene. It was clean and modern while still maintaining a classic Mexican feel.
What I loved:
- The staff was wonderful, especially those who worked at the restaurants by the pools (Esmeralda, Marta, & others) and drove the golf carts.
- The rooms are well designed with small kitchenettes even in the studio rooms. I appreciated the bathrobe and slippers and the Mexican pottery soap dish, toothbrush holder etc. The toilet was separate from the rest of the bath and there was a nice bathtub in addition to the shower. Note: If you want great water pressure in the shower you may not want to stay on the top floor.
ROOM TIP: If you are staying in Phase 2 (non-timeshare) request a room on the top floor to have an ocean view. At least try to get on the second floor so that your room is not level with the pool and theme night festivities. Also, we were unable to get a room with a single bed, so you might want to try and request that in advance.
- Fernand & the activities make everyone feel welcome and try to make the activities fun. This didn't really seem like a great place for kids to me. There were a few of them around, but not a ton to gather for kid activities.
- Food: I was really happy with the Mexican food at H.E. I wouldn't really recommend the other dishes. Eating by the phase 1 pool was my favorite. Drinks are great and it was nice to have happy hour to look forward to. The margarita's can be strong in the afternoon :-) I would steer people away from the all inclusive unless you are a big drinker. We bought food to have in our room for breakfast and enjoyed going out for dinner on several nights.
- Location: I usually stay on the beach in the downtown corridor and was worried I would miss the beach, but I loved the location of H.E. It was so nice to sit on the cliff at the edge of the ocean and the views were sensational. We even had a perfect view of fireworks from the restaurant our second night. TIP: If you have four people heading into town just take a taxi, it's the same price as the shuttle which is very crowded and hot in the summer.
- The concierge staff was helpful. Almost everyone on the property spoke excellent English. We had help with restaurant, golf, & dinner cruise reservations. Also, there is a little bookshelf to swap books by the desk.
- There's a small market on property that is great for small items. It's well stocked and the staff can suggest medicine if you don't feel well.

Other Activities:
- My partner golfed at Cabo del Sol and Cabo Real. He was able to play the desert course at Cabo del Sol after 2pm for only $99 and he said it was an amazing course. Cabo Real is great as well for it's desert and ocean views. He would recommend both. If you are negotiating golf for a timeshare presentation, be sure to ask for a really nice course to get your money's worth. They will usually try to push lower-end courses.
- Dinner cruise: We did the Cabo Escape and it was nice but not what we were looking for. It's a large boat with a great dinner. Also, lots of booze, music, and dancing on the upper deck. We were looking for more of a small romantic cruise. We talked to others who found a wine & cheese sunset cruise, so shop around for what you want.

Downsides:
- The front desk staff is not the greatest and we often had to wait to talk to someone. I think they are just a bit overwhelmed but are trying to do their best. There was one woman who was always really helpful.
- Charges: they will charge you $7 a day for a service fee in addition to the interval fee. This is for the groundskeepers and other maintenance staff. They told me about this when I checked in and I signed off on it. What I didn't like was the additional $7 per day tax. I was able to argue my way out of this piece by letting them know that interval did not indicate there would be any additional taxes or fees.
- Because of the size of the property there were golf carts to drive people between the rooms, lobby, and main restaurant. This was a nice service but the carts are a bit loud. We walked around the resort, but lots of people took the carts.
- Try to avoid the timeshare presentations if you can.
Enjoy your vacation!

Room Tip: A room on the top floor has a better view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
irvine, ca
Reviewed June 20, 2011

My wife and I recently returned from a week in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico where we were lucky enough to have a full week and our wedding at the Hacienda Encantada. I believe it takes more than a few days to really decide if you are impressed or not. We definitely were, funny as it sounds we often found ourselves says "wait...this is really good, or nice, or taste good". The best summary for the Hacienda Encantada is that while you’re not paying the cheapest rate in cabo for an all inclusive hotel your getting an exceptional value for your money. I would rather pay a few dollars more a day and have a great experience than save a few dollars and feel like I am at a second class hotel. So basically when it comes to value for the dollor or peso the room, the food, the staff and the location actually should allow for the hotel to charge much more than they do, for now its underpriced so get it while you can.
I have been to a few others in cabo and felt like I was a cheap hotel/motel...not here. From the get go the hotel is just close enough to the nightlife to make you feel next to the action if you want that, but far enough away you feel as if you’re on a remote island. The staff are very helpful and very friendly without any of that underlying attitude you sense at other hotels, they genuinely either love what they do, want you to come back or both…..who cares, they were a great group and seem to enjoy life. In fact the last night we were there a hotel photographer took pictures, we paid him for them but forgot to grab them before we left….so he took the time to track down our email address through the hotel and sent it to us a few days later. That was pleasant surprise to say the least but speaks volumes about the attitude of the staff in general.
Every room has a great view of the ocean, with an exceptional balcony compared to most hotels I have stayed in while in Mexico, which means there is room to stretch your legs and sit out there with a few friends and enjoy a meal or a cigar. Probably the best feeling we had was the moment we walked into the rooms we were blown away with the quality of the furnishings, most of the items are more likely to be found in a model home than in a hotel...especially in an all inclusive hotel room where you expect the developers to cut corners on quality. High quality furnishings, gives it a great feel immediately and you feel like you are getting your money’s worth just in the room quality. I should also mention that the hotel room comes with a full refrigerator in each room, so if you are there for an extended stay you can have plenty of room for your food or beer without a worry.
The food was great, from breakfast to lunch to dinner, they had something for everyone. The shrimp tacos at the pool by the ocean were a favorite of our wedding party; however I personally preferred the steak tacos myself. When you eat you feel like you’re getting off the menu food but at the all inclusive price. Some of our family members stayed off the resort and once they saw everything they definitely regretted not skipping the time share and staying with us. Absolutely no one complained about the food or drinks while we were there, which was a huge relief to my wife and I as the hosts for the week.
As for the wedding, there was a cliff side (not quite a cliff top) location down by the ocean that fit 40 people easy and could probably handle 100 without too much of a squeeze. The reception was held on the top level of the restaurant, again the food options were more than we could have hoped for based on the package we had chosen and the price we paid. If I would tell them anything I would say I would have wanted something to dip the churros in like hot chocolate or honey…or both! Ana was our wedding coordinator at the hotel and she did a great job of keeping everything rolling forward on the hotels part, because we had a good size group Ana was able to get everyone some discounts which is always helpful. We used a local wedding coordinator referred to us by a friend, off of www.amyabbotevents.com and that was a major source of comfort. Having a wedding coordinator local who can rally to take care of you when things come up before your there and while your there is very helpful. Hacienda Encantada seemed to like having Amy around, keeping us in line and keeping things moving forward. Would recommend Amy and Ana as a team anytime!
The last thing I’ll say is we have had so many people comment on how they had wished they had stayed longer and would come back in a heartbeat to this resort. What a great feeling to have our wedding go so well and our guest enjoy their experience. If your gonna go to cabo, stay here and you will just make your experience that much better

Room Tip: get the master suite with a room and larger patio
2 Thank robadd8872
chicago
Reviewed June 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed at H.E from June 11th-June 18th 2011. We bought timeshare in 2008 and they were still building the property. They (the resort) did not even have a paved road at the time. They finally layed down a road from the highway to the resort. The gate at the entrance of the road is a beautiful picture and makes the guests feel very secure. My wife and and I stayed at phase 2 at the resort. The rooms in both phase 1 and phase 2 are almost identical,the only difference is that there are screens on the patio/balcony doors. The upkeep of the property is very beautiful,and you always see workers making the property even more beautiful. The views of the Sea of Cortez are beautiful and it always nice to see ships and boats from your balcony or while relaxing in the pool of Phase 1. The restaurants are beautiful, one is open air and the other is enclosed. You may want to ask for Miguel at the restaurant for service,he will go out of his way to make your dining experiences even more satisfying.Needless to say,all the staff do the best they can,the english language for some wait staff is not as good as others. You will be taken to your room via golf carts. They will come and get you from your room once you call the front desk. There is a theme night usually every night somewhere on the property, within walking distance from your room. You do not have to deal with a lot of noise in the wee hours of the night.(very quiet) Please be aware that the resort is about 15 min. from town but there is a shuttle that will take you to the marina or you can rent a car in the lobby. My wife and I love it and will return probably next year,unless we exchange with Interval International.Thumbs up for this resort,I'll be even more happy when they are finished bulding the rest of the property.

Room Tip: One Bedroom is great,two full bathrooms is a plus
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank silkysmoove
Milwaukee
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Just spent our second vacation at Hacienda Encantada. We are owners and decided to go back again rather thant trade through Interval International. As other's have said, the resort is breathtakingly beautiful. Rooms well appointed and views like no other. The oceanside pools are probably my favorite place on earth. Javier at the pool cafe and Fernan, the activities director are both very helpful and it was nice to see staff still there a year later. It's nice to see consistency. Fernan and Javier both go out of their way to be sure you have a wonderful stay no matter the request.
We opted this year to do the all inclusive package at a cost of $85.00 per person per day. Based on our poolside tabs for drinks and lunch, it was worth it.
We only have a few suggestions for things they could work on or improve:
There is only one evening place to congregate and that was the outdoor Tequila bar and it closed at 10 and is not open every night. There were enough guests who wanted an evening place to hang out that it really should be open every night and probably open until midnight. It's a quiet resort and that's one of the things we love about it, but I don't think a few more hours at the tequila bar would change that. if you don't eat dinner until 8 or so and just want to wind down, it would be nice to have a place to do that somewhere and nothing is open past 10...which brings me to my second issue. Some of the "theme nights" like to try to shuffle guest out a bit early and wrap up. Advertised signs and things state that these events stay open until 10 or 11 but they often were wrapping up food and beverage as early as 9.
If you pay for the all inclusive package, carry the list of included wines and drinks with you as they will often tell you that only the Mexican wines are on the all inclusive - when I showed them the list with several Argentenian or Italian wines listed, they said they didn't have those wines - only the Mexican wines. We eventually made the substitute another wine after a debate with a manager. It took some fighting though. They are still working out the all inclusive and not all staff know what's included and what is not. GBS will tell you that only lobster and some premium liquor is not inlcuded but when you get there, you learn that lamb, veal, lobster and certain wines and liquor, etc... just frustrating to hear one thing and find something else when you get there.
Finally, the food was inconsistent. Patio food at both pools was always very good. Fish Sandwiches, shrimp and beef tacos, calamari, etc...different food on the menu at the different pools so try both. Maybe avoid the burger though...we are convinced that beef is definitely butchered and monitored differently there. The burger was questionable. None of the buffets were very good at all with the exception of Breakfast - breakfast was consistently good. At Las Marias, one of the two nicer restaurants, my husband would order something early in the week that was fantastic and then I would order the same thing later in the week and it would be terrible. By about Wednesday of a Sat - Sat trip, we didn't look forward to dinner anymore. So, they really need to work on the consistency of the food.
Having said that, we will definitely go back. We just may budget for a few more dinner's out next time. All in all, it was a relaxing and fun week at a Beautiful resort. They just need to continue to work out the kinks.

1 Thank aualum