“Amazing hotel - ALL inclusive is the ONLY way - NO BEACH!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hacienda Encantada Resort & Spa

Hacienda Encantada Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Manhattan, NY
“Amazing hotel - ALL inclusive is the ONLY way - NO BEACH!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2011

Ive stayed at a couple of all-inclusive places. This hotel was amazing. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to get to know my friend and I. They would remember our drinks and food orders every day. Only thing about the complex is that there arent many options for restaurants to eat. During the day, the pools have food to be ordered. At night, there is only 2 choices of restaurants. Mexican or Italian. Breakfast is only at one resturant and its the same food every day in the morning. The food is VERY good. But it does get boring after 5 days there. Cabo is close by so you can go into town if needed. There is no club or dance place in the complex. So if you are looking to party, go into town instead. The hotel is more family oriented or relaxing.
The rooms are big and they all have balconies towards the pools. There is no beach but you have a choice btwn two pools one is adults only. Both serve alcohol and food. The hotel is on a hill. They have lounge chairs on the top that overlook the "beach" but its rocky and you cant swim in it. Overall, a beautiful and amazing hotel. Would go back in a second.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (751)
  • Polish first
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

My husband, my sister, her boyfriend and I spent a week at the Hacienda Encantada in early March. It was heaven! We loved it and would happily return again.

The whales were our favorite part without a doubt. This resort has an incredible view and you see whales every day.

If you are going to eat or drink here, do the all inclusive option. We got all inclusive for our March trip via Expedia in December at a price that was so great, it would have been stupid not to buy it. This is the big decision of the trip though, as the prices for food and drink are outrageous if you're not on the all inclusive option. Generally, food was decent. The Mexican food is clearly better than the American food. The best things we had were the shrimp tacos at the el patio snack bar. The worst thing we had was room service after the kitchen closed --- inedible BLT and pasta, wilted cesar salad. If you want to order room service, do it when the kitchen is open or not at all - it's much better then. All the soups at all the restaurants were quite good. Chilaquiles are also delicious. Don't touch the eggs benedict (obviously. Silly sister ordered it). However, I wouldn't eat at the restaurants more than twice if I weren't on the all inclusive.

The staff are wonderful and very friendly. We made friends with George, Alberto and Martha the first day and they were all incredibly attentive to us and very friendly the entire time.

I thought it would really bother me that there was no beach. However, when we did go into the beach at other locations, it was really rough and cold. With the beautiful infinity pools, I didn't miss it at all. People that complain about the rough road are really exaggerating. It's a little bumpy but that's all. If you're on the all inclusive, the free shuttle every 2 hours to town is great.

All rooms have balconies but a few of them, on the first floor of the second phase mostly, have basically no views. I would have been really upset had I been in one of these few suites. Luckily, we were on the third floor of the second phase, close to the edge of the buildings with two adjoining rooms. Our view was incredible!

We are in our 20s and this place definitely had an older crowd. However, if you're here for relaxation, rather than partying, it doesn't make a difference. If you're here for partying at loads of clubs, go somewhere else. We really enjoyed ourselves and would love to be there now!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Groton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

Our second trip to Hacienda Encantada during February Vacation did not disappoint. The rooms are beautiful, views breathtaking, nearly every room must have a view. We stayed in a large 2br with our kids and signed up for all inclusive. We enjoyed our coffee overlooking the ocean, watching the whales every morning. The breakfast buffet was good but you could ask for menu if you like. We did not like the buffets this time at Las Marias and instead ate at the higher end restaurant (also included in allinclusive) but the menu items at Las Marias are excellent and after we complained we noticed they were offering everyone the menu instead of announcing the buffet was served. They had concierge to help schedule activities and would get a taxi for you to go to town. Don't rent a car. This is not for you if want to spend your nights at Senor Frog's or up all night dancing and doing shots of tequila. It is quiet beautiful and peaceful. If you want to try this activity, you will need to take a taxi and be quiet when you come back. They had activities director and lots of kids at pool at "phase two" where they did their best to attract kids and leave the infinity pool at ocean edge to the peace and quiet, bookreading, kidless set. Can't wait to go back

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Claremont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2011

Feeling guilty that I've waited so long to review this resort. I have to say this is one of our favorite hotels in Cabo and I'd place this resort as second best under PBSB and above Sheraton and FA. We were there in mid November and the weather was perfect and in the 80's. We stayed in a very spacious 1 bedroom 2 bath Villa with kitchen and living area and a large patio that overlooked the pools. Really very large for the 2 of us but we like our space and it was convenient to have both bathrooms really a luxury. We enjoyed the friendly and hospitable service. I Loved the Old World decor and modern appliances the room offered. Access to the restaurants, bar, pools and beach was easy as this resort has all the amenities of a very large resort like PBSB but much easier to get around as its a much smaller resort. Maria's restaurant is good to go for the Sunday Champagne brunch. This resort shuttles you from the main lobby to the rooms in golf carts or you could walk if you like. The service was always prompt for the carts which was helpful. They are buliding a new parking area and entrance from the main highway. Really this would be my only complaint if you would call it one access from the highway can easily be missed if you blink. There are only flags on the entrance side to mark the dirt road to the resort. I'm sure this will be finished soon as it looked to be under construction at the time of our visit. I highly recommend this resort for families, couples, weddings. Beautiful views and an overall wonderful stay!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tedandlisa90
Elwood
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

We stayed at the Hacienda for one week for our honeymoon. We used my sisters time share and we did have an amazing time in Cabo but there were many things we would do different our second time around. The first thing you should know about the Hacienda, is that it is not finished being built. There is alot of contruction going on around the hotel. The contructions does not distrub you while you are at the hotel but it is a hassle when you leaving or coming back into the hotel.. You have to drive down this really long dirt bumpy road, about a half mile down this dirt road. The website talks about 5 different restaurants but there are only 2. They include the pool bars in there total and the food is all the same at these locations. The food was good, we didnt have a bad meal there but it is really expensive. If you dont have all inclusive do not eat at the hotel,, there are so many great restaurants in town,, to die for food.. Take the drive and go into town.
My husband and I are in mid 20s and this hotel was not for us. It was more for an older crowd. Its for people that want to lay by the pool, relax and look out at the ocean. There is no night life in this hotel and everything closes by 8. My husband and I had a really hard time finding drinks at this hotel.. The pool closes at 11 but the bars close at 7 so its not really fun.
This hotel has a sister hotel, Marina Fiesta that is in the Marina area and we wished we would have stayed there. It is in the middle of everything and walking distance from all the attractions. This hotel has a nightlife and it is so close to all the local bars. The hacienda does offer a shuttle to the Marina Fiesta but it is $10 per person and it is available from 830am to 830pm. We did take the shuttle alot to the Marina but we would have liked the times to be a little later so we had the chance to enjoy the nightlife more in the downtown area.
Watch out for the time share people at this this hotel,, if you are not interested do not waste yr time taking the tour.. We had the worst experience with ours and will be writing a person letter to the hotel after this review to them... It was horrible and not worth our time.
Overall this hotel is very clean and very friendly but was not for us. THe way we explained it to our friends, was if you are looking to stay at a hotel that is far from town, very expensive and has nothing really to offer but a pool then stay here, but believe me there are many other better hotels to stay at. Stay by the marina,, very FUN : )

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank littlemone09
Lynbrook, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

I recently stayed at the Hacienda Encantada Resort with my boyfriend, and we were quite impressed! We are in our late twenties, and were just looking for a quiet and relaxing getaway. The website for H.E. looked very appealing, and we decided to give it a shot! This was our first trip to Cabo, Mexico. We had read countless reviews prior to coming to Cabo, and didn't really know what to expect from the resort.

Luckily, I had read a few reviews that mentioned the long, dirt road that we drove down before actually reaching the resort. If I had been unaware of this, I would have been a bit nervous. Check-in was very effecient and timely. The hotel lobby was very pretty, and we were excited to see what our rooms were going to offer.

We opted for the all inclusive package, and this is the way to go. I would not recommend staying here if you do not have all inclusive, otherwise it would be quite pricey. Our suite was great...we loved it! Very spacious and clean. The maid service was definitely on top of our room everyday. It was very clean and we were never without anything that we needed. Both pool areas were beautiful, however, I was disappointed that we were never able to get two lounge chairs in the upper pool area, which overlooks the Sea of Cortes. No matter how early we arrived to that pool, we were unable to get two lounge chairs because people that stay in that phase have already claimed their lounge chairs by just throwing their towel down, and leaving it unattended. Regardless, the other pool was great, and we really enjoyed ourselves down there.

The wait staff was FANTASTIC! Everyone we encountered was very helpful and friendly. A few days our mini bar wasn't restocked, but with a quick call down to the front desk, our mini bar was then filled! We never had a problem ordering drinks from the pool area. Again, some of the reviews I read really painted a negative picture of the staff, but this was not deserved in the least. I was really impressed with the restaurants as well. For an all inclusive deal, the food was great. I was happy that there was a variety of wine that we were able to choose from (Love drinking wine with dinner, and this was included with the all inclusive plan as well!)

There is not much night life after 10pm. This didn't bother us because this is exactly what we were looking for..a nice, relaxing vacation! I have been on trips in which I have stayed out all night partying, and this wasn't what we were intending on doing at all. If you are looking for night life, this may not be the resort for you. The resort is about a 15 minute cab ride into town--which is a good distance if you are looking to experience the night life down there!

As for the time share presentations, if you have NO desire to invest in one, be firm, especially upon check-in when they are trying to push these presenations on you. We declined several times, and were pretty blunt that we wanted nothing to do with the presenations--and that is that! We were not suckered into having to listen to something we had no interest in. So my advice is to just stay firm when asked about their presentations.

This resort is gorgeous as it is--and apparently they are still building and expanding! The resort covers a large amount of property, and would love to one day return and see how much had been added to the resort. Overall, my boyfriend and I really enjoyed our stay here, and would recommend this resort to another couple.

1 Thank Teach0210
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

We recently returned from our second stay at HE and again we were not disappointed. We first visited the resort in August 2009 through a trade on Interval. At the time the resort only had Phase I open and Phase II was still under construction. We knew this going in and were a bit concerned that there would be a lot of noise/construction going on, but thought the photos/views looked much more spectacular than any other hotel in Cabo.

For those of you interested in hearing about the resort itself, below is a thorough review. We have also included a review of the timeshare buying experience in case any of you are contemplating the decision to buy at HE.

First the resort review:
Views: The number one selling point of the resort is the view/location. It is located right on a cliff overlooking the Sea of Cortez. You can literally lounge in a chair 20 feet above the edge of the ocean, looking down at beautiful rock formations and crashing waves. There are currently two pools on property (they are building 3 more still). The Phase I infinity pool is like none we have ever seen. It is just oustanding in design/location. You also have an unobstructed view of Lands End (home to the famous Cabo arch). The resort is not downtown, rather it is located 15 minutes from town along the corridor.

Property: The resort property itself is also georgeous. Again, because it's located on a cliff there are views from every inch of the property. All architecture is authentic mexican style. You do need a cart to get around (unless you want to have sore legs everyday) but they always seem to be waiting there for you to drive you wherever you want to go at any time.

Rooms: The rooms are very nice and authentic feeling. They are spacious, clean and well appointed. They are not the nicest rooms we have ever stayed in, but they are up there. Each room also has a large veranda with double doors that open to let the breeze in. Each room also has a full kitchen (modifed kitchen in studio suites - no oven though). As some other reviews have said, yes the views from the rooms are better in Phase I, however if you stay in Phase II all rooms have full views of the ocean, unless you are on the first floor.

Staff: The staff are excellent overall, especially the bellboys and pool staff. Yes, as mentioned in some other reviews the timeshare people can be somewhat pushy so you just need to be stern with them. We also never had a problem with the check in/out process. We found most of the staff to speak some english or at least be able to understand what you are asking, but remember, you are in Mexico.

Dining: We found the dining to be above average. The food was very good any time we ate at the hotel. We like to go downtown and try different restaurants so we didnt eat at the hotel as much as some other guests, but we have tried all of the restaurants at least once. We have traveled extensively, and yes, we have had better food elsewhere, but found the food at HE to be very good overall. We would not recommed the all inclusive though. Cabo has so many outstanding restaurants that you are really limiting yourself by eating at the hotel every day. Plus, there are currently only 3 restaurants open at the resort (the building of additional ones is in the plans).

Miscellaneous:
Road: As you may have already read, yes there is currently a shady dirt road leading up to the resort. It is very long, poorly marked and offputting. The one mile long main entrance road and entryway is sheduled to open in late March 2011. This entryway is a $4 mill investment and it looks outstanding as of Feb 2011 when we visited.

Water: The water at the resort is drinkable. I have traveled to Cabo and multiple other places in Mexico countless times and have never gotten sick. Occasionally when you turn on the shower or tub the water appears murky at first, which is a little scary. However, this is also true of other resorts in Cabo, as we have stayed at 2 others and saw the same thing. Again, remember you are not in the US.

Negatives: The resort is extremely quiet/secluded, which is what we look for on vacation. However, this may turn some people off. There is no late night entertainment or nightlife. We prefer to go downtown for that, as there is tons of it there. But it is something to keep in mind if you want a resort that has it.

The spa is still temporary, as they are still building. It is a huge upgrade from what it was the last time we visited (literally one room previously) and is nice but it is still not the quality of a high end resort.

There are theme nights at the resort each night, but they are earlier in the evening and arent loud/annoying and luckily dont last more than two hours. We personally arent very partial to them. We did go to one and it actually wasnt bad, but its just not how we prefer to spend our time on vacation. As many of you know, this is a mexico/caribbean thing and many hotels have theme nights/showcases such as these.

If you dont want to rent a car, you do have to pay to take the shuttle downtown, which can get pricey if you have a family with you (we dont recommend this resort for families by the way). And the schedule is not very convenient. If you are an owner at the resort the shuttle is free.

Now the timeshare review:
During our previous trip to Cabo, on our second morning we attended a timeshare presentation with no intention of buying. While we loved the resort so far, we assumed that the investment would be way beyond what we could afford, plus my husband and I like to travel to different locations/hotels all over the world. So, we certainly didnt attend the presentation with an open mind.

We ended up spent at least 3-4 hours (presentation is designed to take around 90 mins max) asking 4-5 different individuals there every question under the sun. We also met with the developer of the resort himself (he happend to be on site that day). After thorough consideration we decided to buy. Now a few things about us. I am very skeptical and suspicious of any type of "deal" in life. I ask a lot of questions and it's tough to sell me on anything, Also, my husband is a financial advisor so he ran the numbers hard to see if this investment really made sense. So, needless to say we took a very cautious approach to making the ultimate decision to buy here.

As we mentioned, we have not been disappointed. We own 2 weeks a year for 40 years in a junior suite (they have larger options available). Upon our second visit to the resort, it was even better than we remembered it. Phase II is now complete. Phases III and IV are scheduled to be fully completed in early 2014. The resort is still less than half complete. They have a massive amount of property to fill. They are adding two more phases of rooms, as well as moving the lobby, spa, gym, etc. to a clifftop location in close proximity to where it is currently located. They are also building private residences off the mile long entryway. Those will not be completed until around 2021 however. We were also happy to hear that the amount we purchased the timeshare for in 2009 has increased slightly, which in this economy, was one of our worries when we returned.

In terms of tradeability, we have sucessfully traded our unit twice through Interval, so we know that it works. We have also traded up, meaning that we traded for a larger unit than the one we actually own. Thus, if you want to buy at HE and your family size allows, we recommed purchasing the smallest unit available as you can trade to larger 1 bedroom units or even 2 beedroom units in other locations.

We will however say that the trade process is not as user friendly as they make it out to be. Plus, you are dealing not only with Interval (trade company), but also GBS (the resorts facilitor for payments, etc.) as well as in some cases the resort itself. You also have to monitor availability of other resorts/locations you want to visit as the inventory is always changing (this is standard across all timeshare companies). We have had to make a number of calls/emails to get our trades facilitated, but it does work with some persistence.

All in all we have had a great experience with HE itself as well as with timeshare use there and elsewhere and would recommend it to anyone. Feel free to contact directly with any additional questions.

2 Thank kla1027