“Excellent operation, great fishing”

Redrum Sportfishing
More attraction details
Owner description: We are an American owned and operated charter company that has been operating with local crews for 15 years. From Pangas, to cruisers, to sportfishers, to luxury yachts, we have a boat for every budget. We were tourist anglers like you, and after many trips to Cabo we decided we had to come down and try to make a dream a reality. Being in your shoes for many years, we know what the our clients are looking for and expect when they come join us for a day on the water. If you've gotten this far in your research you know this sport isn't cheap. While we aren't the cheapest, nor the most expensive, we feel like we provide the absolute best value for your dollar. There are a lot of costs that come with trying to make sure you have a great day on the water and without top of line gear, electronics, and well kept boats you don't stand a chance out there. We are a small family operation and we enjoy getting to know our customers on a personal level. Come give us a shot and we'll show you the Team RedRum difference.
rpaulson7
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Excellent operation, great fishing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I fished with Redrum on Wednesday, Feb. 13, and it was a fantastic experience. Since I was a solo fisherman, I found a fishing partner on the TA.com forum. We met up the day before at the Redrum office to officially meet, and pay our tab. It turned out the person I was fishing with was a Redrum veteran, which helped, as this was my first time fishing in Cabo. Owners John and Ryan were at the office and were very helpful, giving me all the info I needed to be ready for the day of fishing.

We fished with captain Omar and Mate Noel. They asked us what kind of fishing we wanted to do, and helped with suggestions. We decided to go to the Pacific side, starting out fishing for dorado and hoping for a marlin. We had a slow go, pulling in some bonita, and then one dorado after a few hours. Captain Omar had a report of tuna biting a ways off, and we agreed we should go find them.

And find them we did. When we got to the fishing area, I spotted a few dolphins, and was excited to see them - I didn't know that the tuna school with the dolphins. Suddenly we had a double header, and it was tuna madness for the next two hours. We landed about 15 and lost a few others. Mate Noel worked his a55 off manning 4 lines and all the fish coming in. Captain Omar kept us following the dolphin and tuna. After a while, we were off them, and the day was getting close to the end.

It was about 130pm, Omar and Noel were up on the captain deck, and we were down below talking about a good day. Suddenly Omar and Noel are all lit up, excited about something. We figured maybe a marlin in the area, and Noel confirmed. For the next 20 minutes, we sight fished for the marlin, with Noel keeping a minnow in action hoping for a hookup. We never did get it to bite, but it was darn exciting keeping an eye out for it and spotting it here and there, and dreaming about some marlin action.

At the end of the day, we stopped at the fish cleaning station and got squared away. I wasn't taking any fish home, but my fishing partner was. Redrum vacuum sealed them up for him, and kept the fish in thier freezer until he was ready to leave. They told him if he ever needed some fillets to take to a restaurant, stop in any time.

Redrum provided sandwiches, snack food, pop, water, and ice. They buy the bait, and have really good, solid rods and reels, state of the art Lowrance HDS GPS/finders, and a good selection of tackle on board. Mate Noel didn't mind at all when I wanted to help set up some rods while fishing - I wanted to be a part of the action start to finish. Captain Omar let me play around with the Lowrance at the end of the day to see what our fishing path and distance off shore had been. All of these things are to be considered when booking a charter - don't always go with the lowest offer.

Redrum is a top notch business, and I would highly recommend them for some off shore fishing. I'm hoping to be a customer again some day.

2 Thank rpaulson7

Oregon, Wisconsin
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Best fishing charter ever!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I have fished alot of offshore charters in Florida, Mexico, Nicaragua, etc. This organization was by far one of the best and professionally done as we have ever experienced. The overall charter was very efficient, convenient, and comfortable. The crew were bilingual, patient, friendly, and worked extremely hard to ensure our great catch. Office staff, Tiffany and owner John were very helpful and had great tips for anything concerning your catch- to shrink wrapping,coolers and transport advice to the states. We cannot recommend them highly enough. It was fantastic and thank you very much!! Ask for Captain Omar and 1st mate Noa. Thanks again.

1 Thank djp1955
california
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Highlight of our trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

We had the pleasure of spending Christmas Eve day with Redrum Sportfishing. We caught a couple of dorado and a marlin and had a blast. The staff at Redrum was helpful from start to finish. There were 6 of us and everyone of us will tell you it was the highlight of our week in Cabo and we would definitely recommend you do it!!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank lagunagirl_8
Minnetonka, Minnesota
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“price of bait”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

My friends and I just got back from Cabo. The main purpose of the trip was to fish all day for Marlin. We did catch many dorado and that was good. However, at 10:30 AM the captain announced that the boat had run out of live bait and he wondered if we wanted to return to the dock. Well, I wanted to continue to fish for marlin, so, we dragged lures on the surface for about an hour and then he reeled up the lures and we returned to the dock. I asked about why we didn't have more live bait and I was told that I could have purchased additional live bait beyond the ten (10) live bait the boat had purchased. I told them that their ad included "bait" and nowhere were we told that there had been a limit! Can you believe it? We spend over $800 for the 8 hours of fishing only to have bait determine when the fishing stopped. So, instead of 8 hours of fishing, we only fished for 6.5 hours. I think I should have requested a requested a 20% refund. I won't use this charter again.
In addition, the toilet was filthy and the TP roll was almost gone!

7 Thank bassbass_13
RedRum_Sportfishing, Owner at Redrum Sportfishing, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Sir, lure fishing can be and is often just as effective fishing for Marlin as bait. The reason you ran out of bait is because you had a phenomenal day catching Dorado. When we are fishing with bait, we don't decide what comes up to take the bait. We are up front with our customers in every aspect of the charter and had you asked about bait, we would have told you what amount we currently provide.

Like we talked about in the office after your charter, February does not usually produce the excellent bite that you experienced. We had not been going through more than 10 bait per boat in the weeks leading up to your charter. To keep our costs down and pricing reasonable for our customers, these are decisions we have to make. Our crew found a great Dorado bite for you and if I remember correctly you caught 8 nice Dorado, but unfortunately no Marlin came up to take any of the baits.

As for the toilet being dirty, marine toilets can and do get messy when the boat is in choppy seas. Our crews know that they are expected to maintain clean boats and bathrooms. They may not have had a chance to clean the head because they were busy hooking Dorado non-stop for several hours.

I'm sorry you didn't have the experience you expected, but I have a hard time apologizing for running out of bait because you caught so many fish. That being said, thank you for your business, sorry to not have you as one of our repeat clients.

-Ryan Donovan
RedRum Sportfishing
wibaux
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“awesome fishing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was a very professional crew and business. We showed up at 6;20 am and 20 minutes later we were on our way to the boat. The captain Gava asked what we wanted to fish for and we just told him find us something to catch. Him and Ivan on the 19s Toy went out and nailed 26 Dorado's plus a few other type of fish. There was 6 people in our group and we all caught at least 4 fish. We would all do this again and with this great company. They also packed our fish, boxed it, and it was ready for travel back to Montana. Thank You REDRUM !!!!!!

Visited January 2013