“Pleasantly Surprised--Dean Refugees!!!”

Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #9 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 28, 2007

We were originally booked to go to Playa Del Carmen the day after Dean hit, so at the last minute we changed our plans to Cabo. After reading all of the reviews about VDA we were a little bit concerned about overbooking, the rooms and the food. We had a very good experience at this resort. We decided to do the all-inclusive for 3 days of our stay. We had breakfast two days at the Palmar and one day at Del Arco, it is better at PalMar. We ate at El Faro (sushi), La Perla (seafood), and La Tortuga (buffet/dinner show). All of the food was very good! The drinks were good too, especially by the pool. Ricardo was the best waiter! Make sure to try a hamburger by the pool, they smelled soooooo good and tasted even better!

We got upgraded to a one bedroom suite. The rooms were very nice, a full kitchen, jacuzzi bath in the bedroom. Nice big balcony with table and chaise lounge.

The beach area was nice, the sand is a little rough, but not to bad. The water was good if you manage to get in! The waves were more than we were use to but kind of fun trying to get in and out without getting a swimsuit full of sand. We walked to the Mango deck one day, it took about 10 min on the beach.

We also tried some restaraunts in town. We went to Alexanders by the marina for a nice dinner, the Office on Medano Beach was very good mexican food with a nice salad buffet. The best dinner we had was at El Golondrina, we were suppose to go to "The Park" for dinner on Monday night but we got there and they were closed so we walked across the street. The food at Golondrina was excellent, we had the seafood sampler for one and split it. (plenty of food).

Overall we would have rather been in Playa Del Carmen because we like the caribbean water, but our trip to Cabo was fun and we loved the Villa Del Arco.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank babypaige
There are newer reviews for Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas

Reviewed August 21, 2007

To start off I am almost cancelled our stay at Villa de los Arcos before we got there. After reading all the overbooking comments I called the hotel personally and told them that they had to guarantee me that upon check in I was not going to be sent to another hotel because I was traveling with a baby and did not want to be moved around..and it was indispensible that I have a kitchen in my room...the 1st person I spoke to said that he could not guarantee me that I would not be moved to another hotel but that it was ok if it happened because the move would be to a sister property!! I was outraged that he would say that and let him know that was not ok, and he told me to call the next day and speak to a manager...I did and after 3 phone calls and 2 "accidental" dropped calls(long distance as they do not have a free line) I was called back and said that they guaranteed me a room at Arcos.

That was the bad experience but from check in to the last day we had a great time! The hotel is truly beautiful and extremely well kept..we said no thanks to the "free gifts" and then did not answer our phone because we knew it was for timeshares. All the staff is friendly saying "hola" at each turn. My husband and I decided that if we go back to Cabo one day we will definately return to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank TrustMe2
Reviewed August 16, 2007

We are at the end of a vacation here and overall the beautiful building and setting are not able to overcome the staff.

While everyone is quite pleasant, service ranges from quite good to undescribable. Last evening we spent over two hours waiting in the mostly empty until restaurant to have incorrect orders delivered and by that time our 4 children were slightly irritated. Despite his incredible performance, the Bill was still $100 USD.

Other aspects of the hotel include nonresponsiveness to reports of water running through the ceiling and other similar issues.

On the other hand this setting is beautiful and the rooms brand new. I suspect the staff is as well. What was paid for included some meals and there were none included.

Overall I think the resort needs about two or 3 years of seasoning.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank naddatraveler
Reviewed August 16, 2007

I vacationed at Villa Del Arco from 8/10 - 8/16. After reading a lot of reviews before I went, I was very very worried and in a way, wasn't looking forward to this trip at all. I want to write this review to share my genuine experience for future travelers. Overall experience was great, except when we arrived at the airport. After you pass customs, there is a big frosted glass door, that is the exit. You can not see what's on the other side. When that exit door opens, you are in the shark tank! You are like a piece of meat.... timeshare people surrounds you asking if you need a ride to the hotel and offer all these freebies.... if you have previously arranged for car service, just keep on walking and do not talk to them! We almost went for it, but decided not to, wasn't worth the trouble. We ended up getting ripped on the taxi... $80 for 4 people!!! Shuttle is $15 per person, but it takes twice as long, because it makes stops at different hotels to drop off people. DO NOT TIP THE CAB DRIVERS, IT IS NOT NECESSARY LIKE HERE IN THE US. UNLESS HE IS REAL GOOD.
Got to the hotel, we were immediately greeted by another timeshare lady.... we just lied that we're 22 and not married and she left us alone. I think you need to be 26 or 28 to buy timeshare. We got to the hotel at 1pm.... check in is at 4pm. We did not get a room, I wasn't surprised from reading previous reviews, they are very strict about giving out rooms at 4pm.... they just tell you that the room hasn't been cleaned yet.
Hotel itself is beautiful, the gounds were well kept, rooms were big and clean. I've read people complaining the beds are hard, they are not hard at all...... they're comfortable enough to sleep. People who said it's like sleeping on brick or floor is over exaggerating it. It's not the most comfortable bed I slept on, but certainly not the hardest. We did all inclusive for 3 days for $79 per day per person. It is unlimited food and drinks. There are pros and cons. You forced yourself to eat to get your money worth. By the end of the 3 days, we were so sick of the food. The restaurants are good, food a bit salty at times, service was very slow. I like to acknowledge Martin at La Perla restaurant for his good service. Food prices are not overly expensive like other people said, it is typical for vacation spots. An angus burger with fries (excellent) costs about $12 USD and pina colada is about $7 USD.
As far as beach goes, sand is rough, water is rough, didn't see life guards on duty, swim at your own risk! The vendors on the beach is no trouble at all, simply just say no thank you will be enough. That is their way of living and they work very hard selling stuff on the beach under the 95 degree sun. If you're not interested, just be respectful and said no thank you and they will be on their way.
As far as the incidental charges on your room goes, you can check your account balance on TV daily by pressing "menu" on your TV remote... we had no problems with it.
Overall, this resort could be so much better, if it wasn't for timeshare people. Maid could be forgetful sometimes. People were friendly. I had a good relaxing time. I probably won't return to Cabo, just because people there are too aggresive to make money.
Hope my opinion helps.... have a great time and be safe.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank kraken316
Reviewed August 13, 2007

After reading the previous reviews I was a little worried. I had no reason to be worried at all. Our pick-up from the airport by Grayline was smooth (highly recommend this service) Our check in was very quick and quite painless (we did get an upgrade to a one bedroom suite overlooking the Sea of Cortez; what luck!) The timeshare people approached us on check in; we said No Thanks! and were not bothered again. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous; the outside patio is to die for! If I could have fit that bathroom in my suitcase, it would have been mine! The pool and the grounds are just beautiful. We enjoyed watching the beach action with the para-sailing, banana boat rides, and the vendors were FUN! Shop for groceries in town for breakfast and lunch. We went to the supermarket in the center of town and the prices were comparable to the states. Plus they have the most delicious and cheap bakery ever. We taxied into town every night to shop and have dinner. Try Ole Ole, El Pescador (the place looks horrible but we had great lobster tail and steak for $15.00) and La Dolche. We vacation every summer and spring break and this is the first place that I have ever wanted to return to. We will be back!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
7  Thank OhioMooreFamily
Reviewed August 10, 2007

The construction on resort was complete as we did not experience any of the disruptions we read about in earlier reviews. According to my 10 year old son, this was his favorite family vacation. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with a view of the famous arch.

We loved the resort so much we are planning to vacation here next year.

Stayed: July 2007
5  Thank JDubb
Reviewed August 10, 2007

Just got back from a 8 day stay at the Villa del Arco and we were extremely pleased!!! The hotel is super clean, staff is very friendly and courteous and the location is very central to town. We had the Jr. suite with 2 queens and a full bath, kitchen area with Micro wave, Fridge, sink, dishes and utensiles and a small balcony with a table and 2 chairs. Plently of room for my family with a 7 and 9 year old. The next bigger room is a great deal with 2 baths, full kitchen and dining area, and a much bigger balcony.

Only negatives that I have to report are you have to pay to use the Gym ( reserved for owners primarily and the day use is $15 USD ), and no free internet ( day use is like $15 USD ). We went on a tour of the gym and spa facilities and they are awesome but you got to pay to use them.

Timeshare sellers: I read lots of bad stuff about the time share sellers constantly bothering you about attending the presentation. However I did not find this to be the case and one other guy I met there said he got a couple of phone calls in his room about attending the presentation. We did attend the tour and presentation and it was close to 3 to 4 hours of great stories and pitches on how this place would solve all your vacation needs. We were not in the market so I had to grin and bare it in order to get all the freebies we were promised. And they did deliver on the freebies so it was actually worth it.

Freebies: You WILL be approached about attending the timeshare briefing, if you tell them no then they will leave you alone. This is what we did and what we got for our time. On the beach in front of the hotel there is a table with either a blue or green umbrella. These guys act like they will arrange a variety of activities but they are really pushing the presentation. I found that the longer I held out the more stuff the guy offered for me to go on the tour. Once it was all said and done I had to pay $20 buck sbasically as ernest money and we were promised: 1 free double para gliding ( $65 if you pay ), 4 free passes on the Pez Gato snorkle trip ( $40 a head if you pay ), $50 USD off a meal at the La Perla restaurant at the hotel, a 25 min massage at the Spa and a glass bottom boat ride and the prized gold card and free buffet breakfast for 4 ( $18 USD a head if you pay for it ) Overall it totaled about $400 USD worth of activities that I did not pay for.

The Presentation: You will be met in the lobby at the time you arrange in the morning by someone who wants you to buy a timeshare. This person will take you to breakfast, talk you up, tell you great and wonderful things about the property and paint a picture for you on how this purchase will make your life wonderful. Then they will take you on a quick tour to show off the rooms, gym, spa and other facilities. This place is awesome and very enticing. They will then take you to the top floor of the Villa del Palmar for the sales pitch. We listened but honestly the guy who was our pitcher was not very effective. We told him no he gave us the gloom and doom pitch saying that if did not buy today something like $6000 grand on my mastercard then we could never ever buy here again for this price. We said no and he pitched a deal at the Villa del Palmar for less money, we said no and he let us go. We were then handed off to the lady's who give you all the freebies and the gold card, I got pitched one more offer from her and politley said no again and bingo we got the goods!! It was a long 3 hours that I could have been chillin by the pool but I got some good stuff out of it. I did talk to some other folks who only got breakfast and the gold card, they got no other freebiees, so you have a stake in this also and it can pay off! One other guy I met got 18 holes of golf, the sunset cruise for 4, and one pass for his kid at the swim with the dolphin experience ($165 if you pay ), glass bottom boat ride, 25 min massage and 50 bucks off the meal. The guy on the beach has a book will all the activities that they can arrange for you, you just have to work the deal! One other thing, My wife took the massage, when she called they told her that she could upgrade the 25 min to a full hour, full body massage for $30 USD. She did and she got a great massage, was allowed to use the steam room, whirlpool, some fancy shower and the relaxation room. She was gone so long I thought she may have run off with one of the waiters. But she did return with a huge smile on her face and said it was wonderful!! If you have kids I would not take them on the tour, they will tell you that you and your wife have to been there but I saw a few who did leave with the kids about midway through. Bottom line is for my family we got what we were promised we use all of it and it was great!!

I will return to this hotel in the future and I highly reccomend it!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Crawford67