“Needs significant growing up...”

Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #10 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 16, 2007

We are at the end of a vacation here and overall the beautiful building and setting are not able to overcome the staff.

While everyone is quite pleasant, service ranges from quite good to undescribable. Last evening we spent over two hours waiting in the mostly empty until restaurant to have incorrect orders delivered and by that time our 4 children were slightly irritated. Despite his incredible performance, the Bill was still $100 USD.

Other aspects of the hotel include nonresponsiveness to reports of water running through the ceiling and other similar issues.

On the other hand this setting is beautiful and the rooms brand new. I suspect the staff is as well. What was paid for included some meals and there were none included.

Overall I think the resort needs about two or 3 years of seasoning.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank naddatraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (2,806)

Reviewed August 16, 2007

I vacationed at Villa Del Arco from 8/10 - 8/16. After reading a lot of reviews before I went, I was very very worried and in a way, wasn't looking forward to this trip at all. I want to write this review to share my genuine experience for future travelers. Overall experience was great, except when we arrived at the airport. After you pass customs, there is a big frosted glass door, that is the exit. You can not see what's on the other side. When that exit door opens, you are in the shark tank! You are like a piece of meat.... timeshare people surrounds you asking if you need a ride to the hotel and offer all these freebies.... if you have previously arranged for car service, just keep on walking and do not talk to them! We almost went for it, but decided not to, wasn't worth the trouble. We ended up getting ripped on the taxi... $80 for 4 people!!! Shuttle is $15 per person, but it takes twice as long, because it makes stops at different hotels to drop off people. DO NOT TIP THE CAB DRIVERS, IT IS NOT NECESSARY LIKE HERE IN THE US. UNLESS HE IS REAL GOOD.
Got to the hotel, we were immediately greeted by another timeshare lady.... we just lied that we're 22 and not married and she left us alone. I think you need to be 26 or 28 to buy timeshare. We got to the hotel at 1pm.... check in is at 4pm. We did not get a room, I wasn't surprised from reading previous reviews, they are very strict about giving out rooms at 4pm.... they just tell you that the room hasn't been cleaned yet.
Hotel itself is beautiful, the gounds were well kept, rooms were big and clean. I've read people complaining the beds are hard, they are not hard at all...... they're comfortable enough to sleep. People who said it's like sleeping on brick or floor is over exaggerating it. It's not the most comfortable bed I slept on, but certainly not the hardest. We did all inclusive for 3 days for $79 per day per person. It is unlimited food and drinks. There are pros and cons. You forced yourself to eat to get your money worth. By the end of the 3 days, we were so sick of the food. The restaurants are good, food a bit salty at times, service was very slow. I like to acknowledge Martin at La Perla restaurant for his good service. Food prices are not overly expensive like other people said, it is typical for vacation spots. An angus burger with fries (excellent) costs about $12 USD and pina colada is about $7 USD.
As far as beach goes, sand is rough, water is rough, didn't see life guards on duty, swim at your own risk! The vendors on the beach is no trouble at all, simply just say no thank you will be enough. That is their way of living and they work very hard selling stuff on the beach under the 95 degree sun. If you're not interested, just be respectful and said no thank you and they will be on their way.
As far as the incidental charges on your room goes, you can check your account balance on TV daily by pressing "menu" on your TV remote... we had no problems with it.
Overall, this resort could be so much better, if it wasn't for timeshare people. Maid could be forgetful sometimes. People were friendly. I had a good relaxing time. I probably won't return to Cabo, just because people there are too aggresive to make money.
Hope my opinion helps.... have a great time and be safe.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank kraken316
Reviewed August 13, 2007

After reading the previous reviews I was a little worried. I had no reason to be worried at all. Our pick-up from the airport by Grayline was smooth (highly recommend this service) Our check in was very quick and quite painless (we did get an upgrade to a one bedroom suite overlooking the Sea of Cortez; what luck!) The timeshare people approached us on check in; we said No Thanks! and were not bothered again. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous; the outside patio is to die for! If I could have fit that bathroom in my suitcase, it would have been mine! The pool and the grounds are just beautiful. We enjoyed watching the beach action with the para-sailing, banana boat rides, and the vendors were FUN! Shop for groceries in town for breakfast and lunch. We went to the supermarket in the center of town and the prices were comparable to the states. Plus they have the most delicious and cheap bakery ever. We taxied into town every night to shop and have dinner. Try Ole Ole, El Pescador (the place looks horrible but we had great lobster tail and steak for $15.00) and La Dolche. We vacation every summer and spring break and this is the first place that I have ever wanted to return to. We will be back!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
7  Thank OhioMooreFamily
Reviewed August 10, 2007

The construction on resort was complete as we did not experience any of the disruptions we read about in earlier reviews. According to my 10 year old son, this was his favorite family vacation. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with a view of the famous arch.

We loved the resort so much we are planning to vacation here next year.

Stayed: July 2007
5  Thank JDubb
Reviewed August 10, 2007

Just got back from a 8 day stay at the Villa del Arco and we were extremely pleased!!! The hotel is super clean, staff is very friendly and courteous and the location is very central to town. We had the Jr. suite with 2 queens and a full bath, kitchen area with Micro wave, Fridge, sink, dishes and utensiles and a small balcony with a table and 2 chairs. Plently of room for my family with a 7 and 9 year old. The next bigger room is a great deal with 2 baths, full kitchen and dining area, and a much bigger balcony.

Only negatives that I have to report are you have to pay to use the Gym ( reserved for owners primarily and the day use is $15 USD ), and no free internet ( day use is like $15 USD ). We went on a tour of the gym and spa facilities and they are awesome but you got to pay to use them.

Timeshare sellers: I read lots of bad stuff about the time share sellers constantly bothering you about attending the presentation. However I did not find this to be the case and one other guy I met there said he got a couple of phone calls in his room about attending the presentation. We did attend the tour and presentation and it was close to 3 to 4 hours of great stories and pitches on how this place would solve all your vacation needs. We were not in the market so I had to grin and bare it in order to get all the freebies we were promised. And they did deliver on the freebies so it was actually worth it.

Freebies: You WILL be approached about attending the timeshare briefing, if you tell them no then they will leave you alone. This is what we did and what we got for our time. On the beach in front of the hotel there is a table with either a blue or green umbrella. These guys act like they will arrange a variety of activities but they are really pushing the presentation. I found that the longer I held out the more stuff the guy offered for me to go on the tour. Once it was all said and done I had to pay $20 buck sbasically as ernest money and we were promised: 1 free double para gliding ( $65 if you pay ), 4 free passes on the Pez Gato snorkle trip ( $40 a head if you pay ), $50 USD off a meal at the La Perla restaurant at the hotel, a 25 min massage at the Spa and a glass bottom boat ride and the prized gold card and free buffet breakfast for 4 ( $18 USD a head if you pay for it ) Overall it totaled about $400 USD worth of activities that I did not pay for.

The Presentation: You will be met in the lobby at the time you arrange in the morning by someone who wants you to buy a timeshare. This person will take you to breakfast, talk you up, tell you great and wonderful things about the property and paint a picture for you on how this purchase will make your life wonderful. Then they will take you on a quick tour to show off the rooms, gym, spa and other facilities. This place is awesome and very enticing. They will then take you to the top floor of the Villa del Palmar for the sales pitch. We listened but honestly the guy who was our pitcher was not very effective. We told him no he gave us the gloom and doom pitch saying that if did not buy today something like $6000 grand on my mastercard then we could never ever buy here again for this price. We said no and he pitched a deal at the Villa del Palmar for less money, we said no and he let us go. We were then handed off to the lady's who give you all the freebies and the gold card, I got pitched one more offer from her and politley said no again and bingo we got the goods!! It was a long 3 hours that I could have been chillin by the pool but I got some good stuff out of it. I did talk to some other folks who only got breakfast and the gold card, they got no other freebiees, so you have a stake in this also and it can pay off! One other guy I met got 18 holes of golf, the sunset cruise for 4, and one pass for his kid at the swim with the dolphin experience ($165 if you pay ), glass bottom boat ride, 25 min massage and 50 bucks off the meal. The guy on the beach has a book will all the activities that they can arrange for you, you just have to work the deal! One other thing, My wife took the massage, when she called they told her that she could upgrade the 25 min to a full hour, full body massage for $30 USD. She did and she got a great massage, was allowed to use the steam room, whirlpool, some fancy shower and the relaxation room. She was gone so long I thought she may have run off with one of the waiters. But she did return with a huge smile on her face and said it was wonderful!! If you have kids I would not take them on the tour, they will tell you that you and your wife have to been there but I saw a few who did leave with the kids about midway through. Bottom line is for my family we got what we were promised we use all of it and it was great!!

I will return to this hotel in the future and I highly reccomend it!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Crawford67
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I was so sad that my first night was spent at Villa Del Palmar. I was so excited to be able to save for a 4 star hotel on this vacation but when we (my husband and I) got there on the first night, they told me they overbooked again.
What pissed me off was they brought us to Villa Del Palmar and not Estancia. I paid for a 4 star, not a party hotel with 2 stars. I thought that was ridiculous.

What I did is I told the manager that if he doesn't do something about this, I will write a letter to their corporate headquarters. I think that made them jump. They were really ignoring our request at first but then I told him that this is unfair. The couple infront of us were able to get a room while we didn't. I think they also profiled us and thought we were mexicans since we were short and had black hair. I was really upset.

We stayed at Villa Del Palmar for one night but lo and behold.... our room was right beside the housekeeping room. We didn't get to sleep at all as we heard their carts being moved every hour. My husband and I now laugh about it but it was a frustrating experience at first.

When they found a room for us, it was beautiful. Their service was impeccable once you're in the hotel. The front desk people were helpful and everybody smiles. The only thing you have to watch out is they are just not flexible, they don't bend on their knees for their customers and they don't smile if you don't smile at them first.

So really... you can take a chance in booking your stay there or look at tripadvisor's number one hotel and book it there to be on the safe side.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank diaperchanger
Villa_del_Arco_GM, General Manager at Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2007

We would like to offer you our most sincere apology for the inconvenience you had at check in, unfortunately there was a misunderstanding with your reservation and we had to move you for one night to our sister Resort.
We greatly appreciate your comments regarding the service in our Hotel and hope that you could give us the opportunity of being your host again in the future.

Reviewed August 6, 2007

I literally got off the plane 4 hours ago and had to send this review of the Villa del Arco. Before we left I read the reviews on this hotel, it seemed to be a mistake and was frantically trying to change my reservations, much to my dismay the "package deal" was a "done deal" My husband of 25 years is a great guy but has a zero tolerance law regarding timeshare pressure....I was extremely nervous.
THE HOTEL IS BEAUTIFUL! Much more than I had expected. It was immaculately clean and the staff was very friendly. We arrived early and upon check-in they didn't have adjoining rooms for the 3 boys (18, 18, 15) and us and were going to put us on diferent floors. I asked if she could possibly check again since the kids would be in their own room. Not only did she come back with rooms next to each other (not adjoining but close) she upgraded my husband and I to a one bedroom suite. SO AWESOME!! Once the check-in was done I was asked ONE TIME by the girl at the "hospitality" desk if we would like to attend their welcome breakfast and drinks later. I politely said we were here to enjoy their hotel for the few days we are here, no thank you. I NEVER WAS APPROACHED AGAIN. It really seemed if you would like to endure the "tour" and get your gold card (which gave you 50% off food I believe and some other little goodies they are glad you do. Otherwise they let us enjoy our quiet time.
POSITIVES: Beautiful place, nice people, great beach area, the nice hotel market the trolley takes you to gives you 25% off if you show your costco card (I did all my shopping at Costco with 3 teenage boys, the food at the hotel was very $$$$) A better option I found later was the CCC market. Great place. Oh, fantastic kitchens in the rooms
NEGATIVES: Double check the "host bar" items the minute you enter your room. We always put all the items in a cupboard so we don't use them. Ours were missing things which would lead to hassle later. Money was stolen from our kids room. The better part of a hundred dollars was taken from my 15 year olds "stash spot" If I wasn't standing there when he put it away before we went to the beach I would have figured he lost it....there is no way. Next day our oldest son walked in to find the maid with the other 18 year olds wallet in her hand. Our fault for not figuring out how that darn safe works. We are very neat people so my husband and I keep maid service out during our entire stay. If we need a clean towel or two we bring the wet ones out to her while she's next door. Otherwise she has no reason to be there. This has been reported at all hotels, nothing new for this one.
All in all, a very nice stay and I would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank Brniidgirl

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience in our resort.
We are very concern about the lost in your room; we would appreciate that while you were in the Hotel, you would report this incident to us in order to make an investigation.