“Bumpy Check-In, Beautiful Resort”

Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Bumpy Check-In, Beautiful Resort”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I have traveled the world so I take writing reviews very seriously. I am not petty; I always strive to offer a fair review. Long story short- this is a gorgeous resort and we definitely plan to stay here again; however, I want to give an honest review of my stay. This review will cover the check-in, resort, and all-inclusive food plan.

We booked a 2-bedroom villa (one King and two queens with a Murphy bed)at Villa del Arco for Apr 1-4. Our original flight was changed so I called the resort the day before, explained we were landing four hours early and asked would it be possible to get an early check in. I was put on a brief hold, then told, "Sure, it will be no problem, M'am".

CHECK-IN: My party of 6 arrived at the resort at 11:20 AM. We checked in and was immediately told the room was not ready yet, check back in an hour. Meanwhile, we were bombarded in the lobby by Concierge who was trying to sell us tour packages/excursions. After I explained that we had pre-purchased our tour packages, there was an instant, obvious look of disappointment on her face, to which she replied, "Oh, that's too bad because I could have saved you a lot of money if you purchased through me." I explained that we appreciated the offer, but we were all set for tours/excursions. She immediately switched gears and wanted specifics of our schedule- she then started "pushing" the spa services to fill the "gaps" of our excursions. I had to repeatedly explain that we might consider spa services, but right then, we just wanted to get to our villa, shower, unwind, and regroup. After several more minutes of the "high-pressure" attempt to push the spa on us, I became firm in my response. She finally got the message and left us alone.

We checked backed hourly for our room and each time we were told that it was not ready. I explained that we were told we could get an early check-in. I was then told "early" check-in simply means we can complete the check-in paperwork at the front desk. It does not mean we could get our room early." Now I have traveled all over the world and every hotel/resort I've ever booked considers early check-in to mean early access to your room, NOT completing paperwork early. I was dumbfounded with this explanation, and not happy, to say the least.

At 5 minutes to 3:00 (3:00 in official check-in time) I checked back and our room "magically" became available. We proceeded to our villa. It was a two-bedroom villa, however, there was one King bed in each bedroom. I immediately returned to the front desk to let them know we were traveling with 6 people and were expecting at least 2 queen beds in the second bedroom. I was told that 6 people can sleep in this room. I further explained we had booked specific bed types, to which I was told, bed types are not guaranteed because I got a special rate. $4000 for four nights is hardly a special rate! I then told her that if I knew that ahead of time I would have booked someplace else where I could be guaranteed the accommodations I paid for. I then produced a copy of my travel agency invoice which clearly showed the bed accommodations. I further explained to her that my 63 year old mother and 83 year old mother-in-law would not be sleeping in the same bed and we needed this issue resolved. She proceeded to check her computer and told me that room number XX would not be available for another 30-40 minutes.I then had to become firm with her explaining my family had been traveling since 11PM eastern time the previous night and my 83 year old mother in law was getting sick because she needed to rest after a flight from the east Coast and sitting in the lobby for 4 hours waiting on a room. After this comment, she reached down and handed me the keys to the same room she had just seconds before said would not be ready for another 30-40 minutes. How do you explain that???? We switched rooms, got the correct bed accommodations- toilet in master bedroom was broken, but quickly repaired after a phone call.

RESORT: The resort and grounds are absolutely gorgeous. When you first arrive you are greeted by a gorgeous lobby with a fragrant smell and over-sized couches and chairs. Surprisingly, the pool area was never crowded. We also took in some spa services on our third day. The massages were right on time.The main courtyards and walkways are appointed with lush, green flowers and plants. On any given day you'll find numerous grounds keepers sweeping, working, and maintaining the immaculate grounds.

The two-bedroom villa is spacious and perfect for a family who needs to spread out. There was a mini kitchen with stove, microwave, refrigerator and coffee-maker. The washer and dryer were convenient as we washed clothes multiple times during our stay. TV stations were not that great.

FOOD: We participated in the All-Inclusive meal plan. We ate breakfast every morning at El Patron. The food was hot, fresh, and delicious. It was buffet style, and there was plenty to choose from. For the diet conscious eaters, there were plenty of fruit, yogurt, lite muffins, and other low fat options. For lunch we ate at El Bucanero each day. This is a "pirate ship" shaped restaurant. The food here is awesome. The chips and fresh guacamole are to die for!!!!! There is a new menu each day and the food is DELICIOUS. Some of the portions were a bit small but overall everything was very good. Only issue we had was one day we placed our order and my husband ordered a burger, a side salad, and a side of ceviche (which comes in a small cup). The waiter became angry and told my husband, "that is too much food! You are on the all-inclusive plan and I will not give you a to-go box!" Naturally we were shocked because our service and servers were great each day. We by no means took advantage of the all-inclusive meals; in fact, my mother-in-law only ate twice per day, so theoretically we did not use all the meals we were entitled to. My husband calmly asked him if there was a language barrier, and then placed the same order. The server rolled his eyes and walked away to submit the order. Our food arrived hot and delicious. We ate and there was no further incidence.

We also enjoyed El Patron each night for dinner. One night we took the complimentary trolly to Villa del Palmar and ate at the Italian restaurant. Simply put- the food in this restaurant does not compare. It was slop at best! Don't bother to eat there. On another night we took the trolly back to Villa del Palmar and we ate the buffet and watched the show. The buffet was OUTSTANDING. The show was interesting, but I was too tired to enjoy it.

Overall, this is a GORGEOUS RESORT with outstanding restaurant service and outstanding attention to detail with the grounds keeping. I must admit the 4-hour fiasco with check-in was a bummer, but once I got past it, I really enjoyed my stay. This was our first time in Cabo and found it beautiful. My husband and I plan to return and we will most likely choose Villa dl Arco again.

3 Thank Rhopar33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (773)
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Villa del Arco is a beautiful resort. We have never taken advantage of All-Inclusive. We love to try all the different restaurants in town. The location to the city is great, close enough but not caught up with the city hype. We just spent 3 weeks here and have very few complaints. Swimming pools are great, resort is right on the ocean, staff is very friendly but limited English for some. Many activities to take advantage of. Many perks with the "elite status". Totally recommend VDA!

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the ocean
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

1 Thank CarolynG42
Snohomish, Washington
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My husband and two kids (12 & 13) went to Cabo for the first time during spring break. We were pleasantly surprised how perfect Villa Del Arco was for us! It wasn't over crowded and the hotel staff gave us 1st class attention. The rooms were updated and very clean, not to mention good sized. We upgraded to an ocean view which was very worth it. We were never pressured to buy the time share and very glad about that. I did not like that we had to sign for every purchase, but we got used to it. I did not like the menu for room service and how long it took to get the service, but we got used to it. The pools were perfect and my kids couldn't stay out of them. We enjoyed the sister hotel amenities also. Loved the swimmable beach. We will definitely go back to Villa Del Arco - great location!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the ocean view - saw the rocks and the cruise ships every day.

1 Thank Krista T
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We go every year to Villa del Arco. The wait staff has always been fantastic. The two bedroom we get has plenty of space and well maintained. We love the central location of the resort. You are 5 minutes away from everything Cabo has to offer. We did not do the All inclusive this year and I think it is the way to go. We went out every night to eat. I would recommend Villa del Arco.

sydney98
Reviewed April 22, 2014

In April 2014, I took my 4th trip to Cabo (3rd at Villa del Arco). It was an amazing 7 days with great friends, food and fun! I would recommend this resort to anyone interested in traveling to Cabo. It is located right on Medano Beach (which is the only swimming beach in Cabo), within walking distance to downtown and it is immaculate! The staff do an excellent job of keep the resort clean and well maintained. They offer an optional all-inclusive package which is totally worth it (in my opinion). For those complaining about the service ... let's remember it's Mexico. Things move at a slower place than alot of other places. Plus, you're on vacation so what's the rush???!!!! For those choosing not to purchase the all-inclusive package, there is a Walmart a short distance away (via taxi). There are also TONS of great restaurants in down town Cabo to choose from! The staff at VDA are very courteous and go out of their way to make the guests feel welcome! The spa is top notch as is the pool!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Greenlawn, NY.
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My family and I went to Villa Del Arco for our kids Easter this year. We had a wonderful time and were even upgraded to a 2 bedroom oceanfront penthouse. You can get an all inclusive package so you don't need to leave the resort. However my family and i bought supplies at walmart, and we were able to enjoy breakfast and snacks in our room. For dinner we would go into town and try the different restaurants there. Look for some great employees there...namely Manuel at the bellman station, Jorge Espinosa at the pool, and Megan at the concierge desk. they go out of their way to make your stay a special one!

Room Tip: ask for a room closer to the ocean

1 Thank Tim M
Oro Valley, Arizona
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We spent 7 great days at Villa del Arco thanks to a great friend. This is the second time there and I would recommend it to anyone. The resort is very maintained and neat. Although it is a time share and they want you to sign up and hear their deal they were not pushy when we refused. That was much appreciated. We were not there to buy a time share but to enjoy their beautiful resort. We would also like to praise Claudia who was the morning bartender at the Patron Restaurant. She made the best Bloody Mary's and was courteous and friendly. Please go see her for your morning Bloody Mary

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the northwest side of the hotel. There are cooling towers and they are very no...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple