“Overall good stay with both positives and negatives”

Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Just got back from our trip to Villa Del Arco this past Sunday. Overall very nice resort. Great service by the pool, very friendly and helpful staff. Overall very clean resort. Great view and very short distance into town where you can shop, take an excursion, etc.
Only negatives I have are.... When we arrived, it was evening time. We changed, showered and all we wanted to do was sit at the bar and enjoy a few cocktails... Only to find out that this resort does not have a sit down bar. So basically unless you want a drink after you leave the pool area (no swim up bars, just waitstaff that will bring it to your chair) you have to either get a drink with your dinner, or you can go two resorts down to their sister resort which has a sports bar, or you have to go into town. Very convenient to go to the sister resort as the trolley comes every 5 minutes but I do think it is odd for a resort not to have a sit down bar to relax at in the evening/night to enjoy a drink. We tried to call room service to order a bottle of wine only to be told they only bring them by the glass. So we were out of luck there too. We ended up just going to WalMart and buying several bottles of our own wine which was kind of silly since we had the all inclusive package. There is really not much to do there at nighttime except eat dinner and go back to your room.
The other negative, which maybe isnt a negative to most people but I found it rather annoying when I was trying to relax.... Is when you check in, the concierge tries to rope you into spending your first morning with a sales person (they offer you free wifi and restaurant discounts to do it but almost assume you want to do it and are a little pushy about it). We did not take them up on this but noticed each morning at breakfast the many new guests eating breakfast with these salespeople- both coming from our resort and other resorts (it includes a free breakfast but you have to have it w/ the sales people) and we day after day had to listen to this at the tables around us. I felt bad for the guests that got talked into this and also it was just plain annoying when youre on vacation.
Lastly- I do want to comment on the GREAT food here. I did get sick a couple of times (mildly) but this is to be expected in Mexico and I brought my immodium so i was good to go. The food is very good... Taco bar,lunch by the pool, the restaurants. It would be nice if they changed the menu up even if just twice a week. Again we had the all inclusive package so wanted most of our meals at the resort. And with 2 main restaurants and the grill, after a week you run out of things you want to order.
Anyways, I dont mean for this to sound all negative as like i said, it is very nice, clean, great staff, etc. Im not sure I would choose this resort if I went back however as I feel as though it was meant more for people with timeshares and did not cater as well to the all inclusive clients when compared to other all inclusive resorts Ive stayed at (ie people that mainly want to stay on the resort to eat, drink and enjoy since it is already paid for/included).
Oh, and I had a couples massage- best massage I have ever had.
Thank you Vila Del Arco for a very nice vacation!

Room Tip: If it is a special occasion, let them know, they will help you out. We let them know we were there...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
VDA-GM, General Manager at Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Jill B,
On behalf of Villa Del Arco we thank you for having taken the time to write your review.Thank you for bringing to our attention the need of a Bar in the resort, we will be considering your suggestion in the future. Likewise receive an apology for the misunderstood with the bottle of wine, but this is part of the All Inclusive policy, nevertheless we will be revising this restriction in futures meetings. We truly hope that you can notice some improvement in the quality of our service on your future vacations.
On the other hand we are happy to read that overall you spend a nice vacations with us.

Respectfully,

Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed @ the Arco from 9/17/13 - 10/2/13. I think the staff there was amazing! there were so many good waiters in the pool area, I had almost no issues with service. Here is something to keep in mind - Mexico's minimum wages per Wikipedia : 64.76 Mexican pesos ($4.92) per day for Zone A and 61.38 pesos ($4.66) per day for Zone B. PER DAY - The staff there probably aren't making that much more that; I would wager around $10/day. They live off of tips.

Although the all inclusive package says that "tips are included" it can't be more than a dollar per meal to the waiter. Think about it - 89/day for three meals and all your drinks? My point is that, we always make an effort to tip them, especially when they are doing an exceptional job.

I spent a lot of time on the beach looking at jewelry :) and ANDRES (a pool waiter) kept my husband's drinks coming and was extremely attentive. He would find me when I was chatting with new friends, and brought me new drinks. He came up to my husband every day to say hi and shake his hand. He even came to check on us on 2 different days when our assigned waiter had left for the day, to make sure we were still doing well. I think that is exceptional service.

Another amazing waiter was JESUS - we met him our second day there, and he made sure we were taken care of the entire rest of the 2 weeks. there was one time when the service was OK, and he came to check on us (as he did every day), and after that - the service was great. Whenever we had any issues with service (not that they were frequent) he would go and fix it. He was our go to man for anything we needed. I think that is amazing service considering we were only in his "zone" 1 of 14 days.

The towel service woman @ the pool...(Miriam??) she remembered my name every morning and helped me with my Spanish lessons :)

KARLA - in the breakfast restaurant was amazing as well. She not only remember my name but my room number and would come check on me (again, even if I was not assigned to her section). She would give me my Spanish word for the day, and was also amazing.

DANIEL - the front desk was great! we were adjusting our reservation, and he would remember my room number every time I went to go see him, he was on top of the ball and was extremely friendly and worked on it until it was resolved. Even though i'm sure it was a pain in the butt for him, he took care of it with a smile and enormous courtesy.

I love the resort and the view. the only negative part is the SALES staff. I am an owner, and although I love the property, the sales staff are repugnant. yep, I'm using the word repugnant - a 1 hour "member update" was 4 hours long, and they just could not take NO for an answer. Our sales guy said it would be "weird, if we went down to the beach right now, people would kiss me they are so happy - it'd be weird". I laughed about that statement @ the pool area the whole vacation, I met plenty of owners and none of them want to kiss their salesman. I absolutely hate that do and say anything approach to making a sale and that about ruined my first day there. The stories I heard about the sales staff and the lies they've told....it'd make your head spin.

With that said, the resort is beautiful, and the staff are amazing. We can't wait to come back next year.

Dear cindy k,
On behalf of Villa Del Arco we thank you for having taken the time to write your review. We are really sorry about the issues you have had with our sales staff.On the other hand we are happy to read that Andres, MIriam, Karla, Jesus & Daniel, provides you with an excellent service, we congratulated them on your behalf.

We thank you again for your comments, and hope to have another opportunity of hosting you in the near future.

Warm Regards,
General Manager.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

From 9/14/13 to 9/21/13 my husband and i stay at villa del arco it was our second time there, but this was the best, we find out that the staff was more friendly this time. and we really love it we recomended to anybody who wants to visit cabo, but before i continue whit this; we like to thank everybody of the people whom made our vacations feel fantastic,
Special thanks to our wonderful chef Roberto Silva Valeria from villa del palmar whom is very special for us, he went outside of his confort zone to make a customer feel like a royalty and we really apreciated THANK YOU CHEF. for a wonderful diner, we also tahk Jorge Andres Aparicio, a waiter from la bella california restaurant. and from the pool area we thak Juan Manuel Lopez Sanchez, all of this people work at villa del palmar.
And we want to thank all the people that we meet at villa del arco and they were a very good helpfull people always smiling to us loving what they do. Sebastian Limon Munoz at el patron, Veronica the hostess, at the pool area, Cesar Castillo very good work, Francisco Sinta Velasco
and Sergio Gustavo Dominguez to all of you thank you for the wonderful job we recomended all of them if you go to villa del arco. and a diner time we thank Erendira Agis Gomez and Ociel Lara
and Felipe Gutierrez the food is very good at all of the restaurants and the service with these people ecxellent thank all you, we also want to thak our housekeeper Guadalupe Madero and Francisco bell boy GRACIAS WE LOVE YOU ALL ;)

Dear Patino,
Likewise we would like to let you know that we are highly involved in reaching better goals by having a positive attitude in all our staff members, this is why we are working in an intensive “Yes I Can” training program, maybe you can notice this good attitude in all the people you mentioned which we congratulated on your behalf for having taken good care of you. We thank you again for your valuable comments. They are taken by heart. We look forward to welcoming you once again and make your stay at Villa Del Arco a memorable experience.

Cordially

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Hotel staff exceptional. Made reservations through Concierge (Nadia Gaudry) for dining in the "back streets" of Cabo. Her follow up was great. Fantastic room with view of ocean and pools. Had a rental car so was able to explore and get lost in Cabo. Location was great. On the beach or by the pool the service was better than expected. Will be back next year.

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view.
2  Thank Dan B

Dear Dan B,
We thank you for having shared you experience with others. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff provided you with exceptional service. We look forward to welcoming you once again and make your stay a memorable one.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was our second stay at Villa del Arco (we are time share owners). I have such mixed emotions about this place. While the Rooms Division does an outstanding job; Front Office staff is gracious and professional, the Valet team is personable and dependable, and the Housekeeping staff throughout the Resort is just fantastic, the Resort totally loses it's high ratings when it comes to the Food and Beverage team. The service is really below par. It seemed the pool staff could not care less about the guests and took no pride in doing a good job. I can't tell you how many times I saw 5 or more servers standing up the bar chatting while we were waiting on food or drinks for up to 30 minutes. So frustrating as it wasn't just once but over and over again. You could overhear your neighbors talking it about it as well. It became a joke around the pool. The food everywhere was average at best - with the highlight being the taco bar - which is incredible, but closes way too early. Although the servers there lacked any personality or sense of urgency as well. We will be back - as we are owners, but am reallly hopeful some serious training goes on with the F&B team in the meantime.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank whatatrip2011

Dear whatatrip2011,
We would like to thank you for having shared your experience with others. Your comments are taken by heart. First of all we offer you our sincere apologies for the inconvenient you encountered with our wait staff during your stay, our food & beverages manager has been informed and some corrective actions are being taken in this regard . On the other hand we thank you for bringing this valuable information to our attention and for your kind comments about some of our staff. We truly hope that in the future you would give us the opportunity to change this past experience.

Cordially,

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I would like to Thank Villa del Arco for arranging my Son & new Daughter's Honeymoon! They had the most Fun time & they Loved their one bedroom. In his words: "

July 24

Couldn't ask for a better honeymoon so far. My mom Meg Lawrence has given us the best room I have ever stayed in! Our own Jacuzzi, 2 full bathrooms, washer/dryer, full kitchen, huge patio, king size bed, all on the ground floor just feet from the pool and beach. Mom thank you so much we love you!!!!!!!! We forgot the cameras at home so all our pictures are on our phones. Internet in room is for only one device so pics will have to wait until we return. Did ATV rides today, and are so sore and burnt! But it was a blast and now we are off to the pool/bar for drinks. More to come tomorrow!

THANK YOU Villa del Arco!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
VDA-GM, General Manager at Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Dear maeveWAstate:
On behalf of everyone here at Villa Del Arco, I’d like to let you know what a pleasure it was host your family and very happy to hear that they enjoyed their vacation and love the room assigned, from the bottom of our heart we want to thank you for choosing Villa Del Arco to celebrate this special occasion. Thanks for your review, we hope to see you too soon!!!

Best Regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Although I am an owner in the Villa properties this was our first time staying at Villa Del Arco. We were assigned a room on the 5th floor that overlooked the pool and ocean. The views and the sounds of the waves were relaxing. The rooms were nice and comfortable. We had a one bedroom which had a seperate bedroom, two bathrooms, a jacuzzi tub for two in the master bath area, a washer and dryer and full size refridgerator in the kitchen. The beds were comfortable and the house keepers did an excellent job of keeping the room clean and fresh towels in the room. We will definitely put this on our list of places to return.

1  Thank gameluver
VDA-GM, General Manager at Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear gameluver,
On behalf of everyone here at Villa Del Arco , I’d like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. There’s no better or more inspiring reward than hearing from a satisfied guest after a great visit. An experienced traveler such as yourself certainly knows what to look for in a vacation destination, and I can only hope that you felt at home here in Los Cabos.

Cordially