“Great family resort”

Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 9, 2008

June 23-30. I rented a timeshare from a member for less than half of resort price. My family (wife and 2 Kids 6,12) and I stayed in a 1 Bedroom suite which was well furnished and very clean. At Arco you get either pool and ocean view or bay view which we had very quiet overlooking the arroyo. The pools are very kid friendly (being only maybe 4 foot deep and clean). We had no problems with either check-in or wait service. The gym and spa were wonderful. Food is quite expensive at the resort, however there are many places to eat in Cabo for lunch and dinner where the food is very good and less expensive for those on a budget. We had one of our BEST VACATIONS in Cabo at Villa Del Arco. We were so impressed, we purchased one of the timeshares from my friend , who rented us the week. Cabo and Villa Del Arco are our new Home away from Home

2  Thank ACBCJC
fun2talk2u2, Manager at Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2008

Hi there, it was great that you had great fun to.
We are trying to pamper all of our guests as much as we can. We know it's hard now to travel as flights are more expensive, so we appreciate more and enjoy our guests.
Please come back and enjoy the beauty of Cabo from Villa del Arco.
Cordially,
Jean Louis

Reviewed July 8, 2008

The Villa del Arco was great. I was very worried that I had made a bad choice selecting the Villa for our family vacation after reading the other reviews. I nearly switched hotels because of the bad reviews. I am very glad I didn't. The facility was great, the staff was wonderful and my 8 month old absolutely loved the pool. By the way always sit in Jorge's section. Best waiter hands down. Food was excellent. The only thing I would have changed was the towels. They were not soft especially on a sunburn.

The sales pitch that some complained about was repectful and not pushy. When we checked in the concierge asked if we would like to attend a breakfast the next morning. We replied that we would think about it. In the morning she called and we declined. That was the end of the pitch.

Truth was by the end we gave serious consideration to actually purchasing a time share because we enjoyed the place so much. And we hate time shares.

We will be back to the Villa. As guests, not time-share owners.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank ocdemo

I did enjoy very much your honesty by telling the world out there, that we have fun working and trying to exceed our guests expectations.
We are not perfect but are trying to do more. We have good hearted staff that enjoy what they are doing.
Thank you for your support!
Cordially,
Jean Louis

Reviewed July 8, 2008

My 3 sister in laws and I stayed at Villa del Arco from June 27th through July 4th. They thought I had booked a 1 bedroom suite (which is what we stayed in last year) but I had booked a 2 bedroom oceanfront penthouse and surprised them when we arrived. Check in was a breeze. No problems and we were able to get into our room right away (we checked in around 3:00 pm)
The suite was absolutely beautiful. Suite # 3602. It was on the 6th floor and we were right in front of the ocean.

There were 2 bedrooms. One bedroom had a king bed and the other 2 queens. Each bedroom had 2 balconies, a whirlpool tub, double sinks and separate showers. There was plenty of closet and drawer space in each bedroom.

There was a 3rd bathroom with shower off of the living room/kitchen area. The living room had a huge windows with sliding doors and went out to the main balcony. There is a murphy bed in the living room (very comfortable - I slept on that the whole time) and a couch, loveseat with tables.
Kitchen has a huge breakfast bar with 3 chairs and a full dining table with 6 chairs. Full kitchen (microwave was also a convection oven).

On the balcony we had: A jacuzzi, gas bbq grill, table with 4 chairs, another table with 2 chairs, 3 padded chaise lounge chairs with a side table. Was a great place to have coffee in the morning.

Prior to arriving I had contact with the resort manager - Jean Louis. I had let him know that the penthouse was to be surprise to my sister in law's and requested a fruit basket for the room. I was very impressed at how fast his responses were when I had many different questions for him. It was no problem having the fruit basket in our room at our arrival time and he also included some home made, complimentary truffles that were delicious. He is doing an awesome job making sure the guests enjoy their stay. Thats what makes us want to come back!

We had breakfast one time at resort and one time at Tortugas in Villa del Palmar. The rest of the time we ventured off down the beach to the beach bars/restaurants.

El Bucanero - the pirate ship bar has excellent drinks and appetizers. We had nachos and enchiladas the day we arrived and they were great. Try the banana daquiris and the mojito's. They are really good and made fresh (no mixes) Had a good bloody mary there one afternoon as well.

We were happy to see that Erib - one of the staff that works the Bucanero, pool and beach area was still there. He is so friendly and we enjoyed visiting with him. He remembered us from last year. You will know him when you see him - he is always smiling!

There was a tropical storm that came through for a few days when we were there. It was awesome watching the ocean and waves from our balcony.

All in all we would definitely return. We love Cabo and really enjoy the resort. Its quiet yet close enough to walk to activities and the "action" of town.

Enjoy!

3  Thank Wendy G
Reviewed July 3, 2008

This place is a joke. I've been around the world and have stayed at all types of hotels and have experienced bad service and excellent service. However, this place tops it off. Everytime we walked to through the lobby, there were lines of people complaining. I'm surprised no one took the time to write anything here so buyers beware!! Hopefully, this will save someone from having a a honeymoon or anniversary from h*ll. And if you have stayed here and agree, shame on you for not warning us and ruining my vacation!

I'm writing this review nearly a YEAR after staying here. I was going to write a formal complaint to management but didn't because I knew nothing would be done in response. Hopefully, this post will cost them enough business to change management bc the actual hotel is nice - the management is BEYOND TERRIBLE FROM CHECK IN TO CHECK OUT.

1) They are trying to sell condos here and everything is geared for that endeavor. After traveling 10 hours to get there and in a state of starvation, I had to literally lose my temper for them to give me my room keys. They kept pushing this "tour" and made us sit down at some agent's desk after checking in as a delay and stall tactic to get our room keys and listen to their SALES PITCH.

2) They lie. After booking the room, our plans changed and we had a 3rd person coming. They stated that we booked the "room" and it accomodates up to 4 people when I called prior to leaving. Therefore, no extra charge. However, all that changed when I got there. They charged me a few hundred more for the 3rd person.

3) If you want anything - like towels, service you'd even expect at 3 star chains like La Quinta, or just a smile from the help - FORGET IT. You will have to call for clean bath towels. You can't get more than 1 towel for the pool. You can expect to wait 30 minutes for a waiter at the crappy boat restaurant.

4) No sleeping in! The housekeeper will knock and knock and knock all morning long despite having a do not disturb sign on the door knob. I'm talking loud knocking at 8 am and every 30 minutes.

5) Complimentary tickets are a SHAM. When we checked in, they gave us these "drink tickets" and stated that we get free food. When we went to the crappy boat restaurant, they acted like it was the first time they saw these "drink tickets."

6) They keep lying. We rented jet skis to go around the Arc and take some pics. When we got around the corner, one ran out of gas. It was an independent person who rented the jet skis and it took us 1.5 hour to find help to get us towed back in. We nearly wrecked onto the rocks. We complained to the management about the guys renting these on the beach. After listening to another sales pitch, they said they would get us a refund for them and deliver the refund to us in the morning. Think they showed up? Nope. I went down to talk to the girl who promised me the refund and she said she would be downstairs if there was any problems. However, she was off that day and was ALWAYS off that day. She lied.

Do not stay here unless you want to hate Cabo like I do now. This hotel made me dislike the people there and dislike Cabo period. I'll spend my $ in Vallarta and Cacun where the locals have the minimal level of service and decent courtesy you would expect in Mexico. I couldn't wait to leave after checking in.

The best part of staying here is when we LEFT the hotel and took a boat tour with some guy in the marina. If you do stay here, don't book any tours on their premises.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank drinkmix
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We really liked this new place. We were able to go here with friends who own a 2 bedroom here. The room was great with a full kitchen and lots of privacy. All balcony views are great. If you walk on the beach, it's a 10+ minute walk to town (the marina). In May it was hot and breezy at night. We liked the location of this hotel as we usually stay at Sunset Beach or SJ de Cabo. Okay, now here's the negative part (and I am VERY easy to please). We did their "Meal Plan" which we assumed (our bad) was all-inclusive. It's $80/day and somewhat worth it. We ate at Tortuga next door at their sister resort Palmar a few times and liked it. However, for breakfast, both hotels were bad buffet food. Lunch on the ocean at Palmar was good too. Service here was VERY slow. They are soooo stingy with bottled water here. If you want it in your room, you have to pay for it (lots of money too!). We stocked up on it when we ate and begged for bottles to take to the room. I went to the front desk and asked what the deal was with their water and the man was short with me and said it's a meal plan, not all inc. which I have since learned are two very different programs. If I go back, I would eat down the beach at the office or some other place (there are lots) for breakfast and lunch around the pool here was good (try the pizza's and guacamole). I didn't like having to sign for each and every drink at the pool (which with an A/I you don't do). Also, their towels at the pool, if you don't turn them in, they charge you. I understand this but I travel A LOT and I've never had to babysit the towels. We would just drop them off or leave them on our chairs but not here. You have to deal with it at the end of your use. We love Mexico and Cabo but this place did not make us feel "special". We felt like we were in your typical hotel with average service. Not what we're used to. Also, being on their swimmable beach here was awesome!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank TravelPro4You
Reviewed June 27, 2008

We spent seven nights at the Arco from June 14-June 21 in a two bedroom ocean view penthouse suite.
From the moment we got off the shuttle, to the moment we took the shuttle back to the airport, the people of the Arco were fabulous. I have nothing negative to say about anything at this resort.
Our concierge, Rosella, was very helpful. She always greeted us with hugs when she saw us in the lobby and asked how our stay was going. She constantly asked if we needed anything.
The housekeeping was impeccable. Everything was always clean. They stocked us up with towels and robes since we had a jacuzzi on the balcony.
The gym and spa were fabulous also. They had all of the equipment necessary for a good workout, and the massage was top notch.
All of the food served was great. Everyone in our party could find something to eat on the menu.
We had such a great time, that we are going back next year with five other people and hope to rent the three bedroom penthouse suite.
I highly recommend this resort to everyone wanting to have a great experience in a beautiful location.

2  Thank TexanTravelor
Reviewed June 24, 2008

Just got back from the Villa Del Arco and loved every minute of it. We did the all-inclusive package and if you plan on eating at the hotel I highly recommend it as the prices are pretty steep. Ceaser the assistant food and beverage manager was awesome as well as Claudia the bar tender in El Faro. Pool side service was hit and miss. A few days we had great pool side service and a few days it seemed like it was non-existent . Rooms were brand new and large. The ATM's on the property give you pesos so don't be tricked into paying a fee to withdraw 50 pesos or $5USD. The pool is large with many chairs but if you want to get a good spot you should be out there by 9:00 am. We did a snorkeling tour on the Pez Gato and it was a lot of fun. On the way back they stopped for 15 minutes at Lovers beach and we were able to swim in and spend some time there. Drinks are very weak unless you ask them to make them strong. Overall it was a great time and I would highly recommend the Villa Del Arco to anyone looking for a relaxing trip to Cabo!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple