WINNER WONDERLAND

Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Leawood, Kansas
“El Patrone Now One of Our Favorite Cabo Restaurants”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

The entire food staff was replaced last year when a Ritz-trained operations manager took over the management of La Estancia and Villa Del Arco. He hired Gabriel, a young chef trained in Argentina, who established a strong reputation in Chicago and Teluride before bringing his family here. We have avoided the ocean side restaurant in recent years. It now ranks as one of our favorites in all of Cabo, right up there with Hacienda. Food service, preparation and flavor were simply outstanding. Two items stand out -- the three mole sauce dinner with superb and distinct flavors on beef tenderloin medallions and shrimp -- and the red snapper entree. The restaurant reminded us of finer dining experiences in Europe. Rather than the monstrous portions served in so many Cabo dining establishments, the portions were reasonable and the sauces and other dishes designed to create a melody of tastes. We paid $250 for a much less enjoyable experience at Ruth's Chris on Christmas night at the Puerto Paraiso Mall; the meal we enjoyed tonight was $49 after our Gold Card discount. That gets a five star value rating from me. If only we could spend that money in town and come away with a similar taste sensation.

It's clear hotel management is working to improve all aspects of service. We do own a time share for Christmas week here. We have been coming for ten years and the reports of bad experiences suggest to me either hard to please people or we've just been very lucky. Wait staff here is terrific, friendly and service oriented.

We purchased our time share here and can't wait to return each year; the food was the only thing that made this a generally four star experience for us. Today, it's a five star experience.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean View rooms on the north side of the building and you will receive a clear view of the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank HSBTheThird
VDA-GM, General Manager at Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Customer,

We are so happy to hear that you had a great time in our Property. We trully strive in providing the best for our clients.

I love to see you back to our Resort and host you again as you deserve.

Thank you for your comments!

Sr. Jorge Herran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Wow! Just returned from our vacation and have to say, it was by far, the best experience ever! We work a lot of hours and really want to make sure each vacation we take gives us the best bang for the buck. We absolutely hit the jackpot with VillaDelArcoCabo.com and DestinationCabo.com. I did a lot of research and price comparisons and Destination Vacations beat them all. AND they have a ton of information on the resorts, Cabo, activities, and advice on everything from where to eat to where and when to pickup groceries for our group. They are in Cabo several times a year, and more importantly knew who to work with to make our vacation the best. They even worked with the resort on some special requests we had talked about. One of our group had a flight delay, but Destination Vacations helped us contact the transportation company, kept in contact with us until they were on the way to the resort so we could greet our missing friend with a chilled local tequila! Every time we ate out, it was on the recommendation from Destination Vacations and we all thanked them with a toast at each meal ;-). We had an exceptional vacation and can't wait to do it again! This time we have several more friends who are going, after hearing all of us rave about the incredible room prices and overall great experience!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a view of the ocean!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michelle N

I love to see you back to our Resort and host you again as you deserve.

Thank you for your comments!

VDA-GM
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

There were lots of negative reviews on this property, which we booked via Costco travel on the advice of a family friend who stayed here in spring. Someone said they were accosted, someone else said they were ripped off, there were lots of negative comments on timeshare sales tactics, etc. I took these seriously and had my guard up when we got there.

But not once were we bothered with timeshare people (we have dealt with them in Whistler, same game--free stuff if you sit here and let us try and get you to prepay for the next 20 vacations, etc.). The staff was not only helpful but very pleasant. Given the wide range of guests we mt at Villa Del Arco, language & cultural differences, etc. it's to be expected there are some issues as there always are with hotels no matter the country or how much you spend.

Our room was very nice and relaxing, plenty of room with kitchen & washer/dryer combo. They pool area was well taken care of and the food was very good. We did not go all inclusive because we wanted to spend time and meals in the town, and we are glad we did that. Doing the math it was cheaper to get a few meals per day from Costco and/or nibble at the taco bar as wanted, and hit the town for the fun restaurants. I will say I am very sick of Mexican food but it's still my favorite, had some great food at Del Arco in the Pearl restaurant and the Bucanero has a great daytime menu. The location is perfect for us--close enough to town we can walk the beach to Mango Bar, etc. but far enough away to be quiet and with fewer party animals (you know who you are, I love you but now I have little kids). Lots of families with kids and this made it fun for ours as well.

Do make sure you understand the checkout procedures, with people from all over the world coming and going they do have some procedures that are slightly different viz a viz checkout, paying your room tab, etc. but they were flexible in our checkout time (we have two little kids who needed a nap before a long day of travelling home).

Loved this place, we'll be back next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Goldmund1970

VDA-GM
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

During our recent honeymoon stay at the Villa Del Arco, valuable diamond earrings were stolen from our room. Without a doubt, this resort is beautiful, if your want to risk losing your valuables though.

Oh sure...the so-called Chief of Security visited the room to investigate. However, we required a translator to assist, at this Hotel which caters to 95% English Speaking Americans.

As part of the investigation, it was determined from a review of the electronic lock that there were 3 separate incidents where different members of housekeeping entered our room, during our absence. Initially, we were assured that there would be "lie detector tests" administered on all 3 of the personnel. Later, we were informed that that would not be the case. Inside job maybe?

After nearly 30 days of exchanging communications that involved (1) The Director of Sales (2) The Regional Director of Operations and finally (3) The Rooms Division Manager, they informed us that they couldn't prove that their hotel employees were involved and that we needed to file a claim with our personal insurance carrier.

The worst part is that we are timeshare owners with the Villa Group and had expectations of a more reasonable outcome with some form of restitution.

Overall, be sure to place everything (except your suntan lotion) under lock and key. Be assured that the tiny safes provided in each room are incapable of securing all of your personal valuables otherwise. Don't waste your hard-earned money investing with this Company. You can do better by purchasing a vacation package through Expedia, Orbitz, etc.. Their new gimmick is to try to charge you 15K or more, to convert all current owners from a 30 year term ownership to a point program. No wonder the Resort owners are debt-free.

BEWARE.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Marc G
Meridian, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

My wife and come a little late so our standard room was taken so we were upgraded to a jr suite the view from the bacony was great we could see the Arcos right in front of us the rooms were great and very clean only down side is the time share they do bug you the first day you get there just learn to say no yhank you

Room Tip: get the upgrade forthe view its worth it
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank orozcofred
Dear customer,
We are so happy to hear that you had a great time in our Resort and We will be very happy to host you again.

Thank you for your comments.

VDA GM
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

We had a beautiful stay and booked through Bob Easton at Destination Vacations. Bob always does a great job getting us what we want. Beautiful 3bdrm penthouse! The service was great too! The waiters at the pool were always very attentive - especially Cristino (hope I spelled it right). If you just avoid the time share folks everything always works out great. Also, a staff member named Irene that is a chef at the breakfast buffet was fabulous!

Room Tip: Of course you always want closest to the beach on high floor!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VDA-GM, General Manager at Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Client:
It was very nice to host you in our Resort and we trully appreciate your comments. We sincerely hope to see you back and provide the Services you deserve.

Sincerely

Villa del Arco Mananager
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

On November 23, 2012, during a stay at a Universal Vacation Club location, Villa Del Arco, my cousin and I were subject to assault, battery, duress, and harassment by Universal Vacation Club employees.
Our families were guests at Villa Del Arco from November 16-23rd. I arrived several days after my family on November 19th. On November 22nd my aunt and mother received a bill for charges associated with the room. Numerous charges on the bill were inaccurate, inflated, and occurred during time periods prior to the November 16th arrival. Among these charges were several breakfasts that were included in our stay. My aunt and mother spent hours going over the disputed bill with the front desk attendants. My mother and aunt informed me that the front desk was being completely uncooperative and while they did remove many of the false charges, they simply refused to remove others, even where no bill could be produced. The bill dropped several hundred dollars after the false charges were removed, however there were still many in dispute. The front desk told my aunt that she would have to take it up with the credit card company.
Neither my cousins, nor I, were a party of any of these discussions. Our names were not associated with the reservation. At approximately 12:30 pm on November 23, 2012, my cousin and I asked for a taxi to take us to our international flight. We had left sufficient time to taxi and make our flight without issue. However, when we asked for the taxi, we were told with much hostility, by the manager, Eduardo, that we could not leave the premises until the primary person on the room signed for the charges. I calmly informed him that neither of us was that person and that we needed to catch a flight. He once again with great anger told me that we would not be given a taxi and that he needed the primary person to sign for the credit card he had on file. This exchange went on for some time, with me explaining that I was not that person and that I was now in danger of running late for my flight.
Finally, after getting nowhere, my cousin and I said we would walk to get a taxi. We left the front door and got to the gate where we were told that we would not be allowed to leave without first paying. Once again, I explained that they had a credit card on file, that it should be used, and that we were going to miss our flight. As we continued to try and leave the gate, we were subjected to assault and battery as the man at the gate physically grabbed the bags in our hand and began to try to drag us back into the hotel. I yelled at the man to stop touching us that this was illegal, that I was an attorney and he was assaulting us and had now harmfully and offensively touched both myself and my cousin. Still, he refused and a screaming match and tug-of-war ensued. My cousin was visibly upset and trembling as was I. I continued to explain that we needed to catch our flight.
After much struggle at the gate, I finally marched back up to the hotel and demanded that they stop holding us hostage and allow us to catch our flight. The manager admitted that he had a credit card on file for the person named on the room, but that he knew that she was going to attempt to dispute many of the charges.
In the end, I was forced to put the charges on my credit card despite not being in the country when many occurred and them having an accurate card on file. Exhausted, assaulted, battered, and harassed, we were finally able to leave the premise in a taxi and barely catch our flight.
Upon return to the states I learned from my aunt that she had in fact signed for the charges and been told that everything was taken care of! When she checked out with Jorge at the front desk, he asked if she preferred to leave the incidental charges on the card on file and she said yes. She signed the bill and also signed on behalf of her sister, Sylvia, since she had already left, which my aunt let him know. He asked her to write on a piece of paper that Sylvia had left, which she did. She said to him, "Are we good then?" He replied, "Yes" and my other cousin and her left.
We travel for business and pleasure frequently and it is common practice to leave charges on the card on file even if the person whose name the reservation or credit card is in has left. If there were any issues with this, she should have been notified at the time I checked out.
I’ve never experienced worst customer service. I’ve never been physically attacked by an employee of a company. I’m planning to file litigation and I am demanding the following: (i) A formal written apology to myself and my cousin, (ii) immediate resignation of the supervisor who ordered the assault and battery, and (iii) a return of all funds charged to my account.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family