“Excellent Choice” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Jose
“Excellent Choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

I was offered a package deal via emial through AAA Travel and purchased a 3 day/4 night package only after first reading the reviews of the Villa del Arco on tripadvisor. There is 30-40 minute ride from the Cabo airport to the hotel. Since we had 4 people in our party, we decided it would be worth booking a private shuttle (Cabo Transfers) to the hotel and back. Usually private shuttles run about $80/each way or $160/round trip. The thought of riding a 2-3 hour bus to the hotel stopping at various places and dropping people off versus getting the party started right away alone swayed us to book a private charter. It was my impression that those buses charge $16 per person each way anyways, but that is just what I have read. The private shuttle was definitely the right choice. We even got a discount for purchasing round trip services. We were led to a clean, new Suburban that seats up to 6 people. The private shuttle services do warn you that the sales people inside the airport will lie, cheat, and just about steal in order to fool you into thinking you booked something with them. Be advised, just keep walking until you literally see the blue sky overhead and are outside the building no matter what you hear. Your private shuttle will be waiting for you with a sign outside with your name on it. That will be the shuttle you booked despite what the sales guys inside are telling you.

There is a money exchange in the hotel but they do require a passport to do so. I didn't personally check out the Palamar sister resort via trolley but one of our party did and reported that it is definitely not as classy as the Arco but did have a store and deli and such there.

We checked into the hotel fairly smoothly although it was a slow process which seems to be the norm. I have no idea why this process with the age of computers continues to be so inefficient? After checking, you are asked to speak to the concierge. We just avoided any chance of a sales pitch for the time share whatsoever by telling the reps that we were really tired and just want to get to our room. They did slip a note under the door the next day telling us to come by for a orientation, but we just ignored it and were never contacted again.

Our suite room was very, very nice. It was clean and included a full size refrigerator and kitchen with most cooking utensils (pots, pans, dishes, glasses, etc) that one would need. There was a washer and dryer and a fold out bed, the type that lifts up into the wall. The room was very spacious and clean and exceeded all of my expectations. There was even some aromatic oil scents that made the room almost spa like. Our room had a very nice patio and a large soaking tub in the middle of the master bed room. My only complaint was the A/C in the master bedroom was going crazy and we couldn't get the room above 68 degrees or so. Since it was so warm outside, we just dealt with it and slept under an added comforter at night! Not a big deal. When we leaving to go outside, we called house keeping, and they always did a wonderful job cleaning our room.

The pools were very nice and clean, but yes, people do get their towels on the chairs early and leave them there. So, things are a btt chaotic in that sense. We managed to secure a few chairs after talking to some of the other guests who told us their party had left for the day and would most likely not return. So, I recommend you work with the other vacationers who are usually very friendly and helpful! When you check in, the hotel gives you a pool towel ticket and from then on, you can trade in your towels in for clean ones but are responsible for that quantity of towels. Just FYI, as the first day, I assumed that we were to leave them on the chairs just like they do in Vegas. When you check out, you are required to return the towel ticket which the towel stand keeps until you return the exact amount of towel your were given. I guess this system keeps people from losing towel on the beach and such. Pools hours are like 7am-9pm btw. They really want the place quiet after 9 PM. I guess they figure the partying should occur offsite where there are plenty of choices.

Being on vacation, we decided to do the all-inclusive food plan for convenience. The taco bar near the pool was definitely the hit of our party. My advice is that whenever there is an all inclusive food and drink plan, don't expect 5 star food. We paid extra for lobster and wine the first night and didn't finish either due to the poor taste. That being said, we couldn't get enough of the chips, guacamole and salsa during the trip. And, the drinks were awesome! We downed many a beer and mango mojito. So, this one is a toss up. Get the all inclusive for convience and keep the food you order simple. If you don't chose the plan, then do not plan to eat at any of the food areas as the prices are ridiculously high. You can take a $7 dollar cab ride to the downtown restaurants or to Walmart (which was huuuuuuuuge and had everything) or Costco and stock up there. Either that or pay the $89/day and don't think about it after. One note, if you do do the meal plan, you literally have to order everything from a waiter and then sign the bill before you leave. The prices will shock you, but the hotel will never charge you if you are on the all inclusive minus the tips. You don't pay cash anywhere. The charges are always to your room.

We checked out the spa and gym and both are phenomenal. I've belonged to 24 hour fitness for 16 years and really like the equipment that they have the hotel gym. The equipment is new and top of the line. I couldn't have designed it better. The spa was top notch to the Vegas and Hawaiian resorts and we were happy with their services. The spa send out special each week so make sure you ask for them if you are interested in the spa treatments.

For daytime activities, all one has to do is head down to the beach. My advice there is to go directly to the tent that has the activity that you want. Stay away from any random desk or kiosk as those people are booking agents that usually charge $3-5/person more just to write you a receipt and send you down to the area you could have purchased the activity from for cheaper. We took the glass bottom boat tour to the lands end and Arco. It was worth it for the $7/person. You can get snorkeling equip from the hotel if you have the all inclusive package and spend a day at the beach by the arch and look at the fish and such. The fish go wild for tortillas of all things. You can bring some of those to entice them to come by. My past experiences tell me frozen peas are pretty effective for the same thing.

Overall, the Villa del Arco was an incredible place to stay. Take a cab downtown to the marina and from there, you can walk to all the clubs and bars. The Office seemed to be crackin' during the day. Places to see the sunset at dinner are La Hacienda restaurant and Monalisa Sunset. For the freshest seafood and a real local dining experience, stay away from the all inclusive restaurants and hit Las Mariscadas. Simple setting, amazing food there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Dick C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. The room was clean and spacious. We really liked the pool area. The only thing that we disliked about our stay was how aggressive the time share representatives are. In my opinion, it's not the best idea to bombard vacationers the moment they step onto the property after traveling hours to get there. AND they don't take no for an answer! Luckily though, after the first day they left us alone..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gigi219
Fresno, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

This resort is beyond beautiful. You truly feel like you are away in paradise. The staff was friendly and somewhat accomidating. We had a few bumps in the road with the room being smelly and they were kind enough to move us out of the room to another. Saw a few ants but they did come in and spray for bugs. Since its a vacations resort, most pewople realyl dont clean up after themselves, therefore, bug problem, but they were on it when we requested for a more detailed cleaning. It is a time share, so I knew that going into it and actully had no intentino of buying but the tour was so nice and the benifits seemed resonable we decided to buy. I regret not getting the 1 bedroom instead we bought the studio, but you can always upgrade your room which is nice. I reccomend this resort for the price point. Well worth it. :) Overall i was happy at my stay here. I think the next time i may do a few days of all inclusive all you can eat just to keep myself less busy with looing for food around the city. Its not as bad as they make it seem with the time share, we were 2 couples and no one ever bohtered us with time shares info except teh very begining whch again we already knew about the time share stuff form my boss and friend who already owned there. So it was not a scary thing for us at all, infact it was fun :)

Room Tip: The bottom floor semmed nosiy, I would reccommend upper and towards the front, I fel tthe room we st...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I like this property. My husband and I have a timeshare here with our friends. We originally bought a1 bedroom here in 2009 and upgraded to 2900 winter points (2 bedroom) this past visit. We've never once regretted purchasing the time share and we really love our home resort. The majority of the staff is extremely friendly. The grounds are kept clean and the rooms are spacious and well decorated. This past trip, I travelled with my husband, my four month old and four of our friends. We all had a wonderful time. We enjoyed sitting poolside and love how you can just walk on to the beach. We did not do the all inclusive option. To us, it isn't worth it. There is a Walmart across the street where we buy groceries. We'd cook breakfast and lunch in the room and go in to town for dinner. During my last stay, I had two treatments at the spa (80min facial and a deep tissue massage). The spa is exquisite. My massage might have been the best ever. Thank you Sheila and Eugenia! The check in staff is friendly. One of the maintenance guys, Sabino just might be the happiest, friendliest person I have ever met. We did not eat in any of the restaurants, so I cannot attest to them, but the group I was with did order drinks from the wait staff at the pool and the bartender's at the Pirate Bar. The pool wait staff is friendly, but the service takes longer than expected. I know a few of the days my husband and our friends experienced a little difficulty ordering drinks directly from the pirate bar. The first day we were there my husband went to the bar to get a drink and was there for 20 minutes and came back empty handed.

All in all this is a great resort. It is clean, the pools are nice, the proximity to town is fabulous, and the staff is friendly. I think the poolside service and the service at the Pirate Bar could be better though.

Room Tip: If you plan on cooking meals the 1 bedroom unit is better than the studio. We stayed in a two bedroo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank meaganmsabich
New Iberia, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Loved this property. We stayed here in May 2012 on our first trip to Cabo and it was amazing. I recommend the all inclusive packages. The restaurants are great and worth staying there to eat. Selection is good. Service is above expectations. Beautiful grounds and well kept. Penthouse suite is HUGE. Loved the balcony. Great location. Great Spa Beautiful pool.
Only negative is the time share sharks, but that's probably everywhere.
Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask about an upgrade when you arrive.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nancy L
Folsom, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from an awesome week at the Villa del Arco!! We have stayed at the Villa group property in Puerto Vallarta, and was hoping that this one was as nice....and it was!! The room was fantastic...we had a two bedroom suite that we shared with our friends. Food was good, and the pool service from Jorge was amazing!!! He brought us snacks and drinks when he got to know our preferences, before we even asked. We did tip him extra each day, but he was attentive even before we did that. The staff was so friendly, and very willing to get you what you needed. I am looking forward to going back sometime in the near future!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mommasax
Folsom, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was our first visit to Villa Del Arco and we were very pleased and had a terrific time. Here are a few tips to make your stay perfect:
~You HAVE to buy the all inclusive package. We booked our trip with Expedia and got a package deal (flight, hotel and all you can eat and drink for 7 days) for 1,200.00 per person. The prices at the resort restaurants are expensive and add up real quick. Our advice is go ALL INCLUSIVE!
~Prearrange a company to pick you up at the airport. When you get off the plane you will be bombarded with men asking you questions about vouchers and rides. As hard as it might be because it seems so rude just ignore them. If you prearrange a pick up your driver will be outside the airport holding a sign with your name on it.
~DO NOT get stuck listening to a time share presentation at Villa Del Arco. After you check in they will ask you to sit down and listen to deals they have at the resort and try to set up a time with you to share info regarding the time shares. They may even offer a free breakfast for your family but POLITELY and firmly say NO. Take the brochures but tell them you are not interested in any time share or discount information.
~The rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable. The AC in the rooms work TERRIFIC!
~The pools were clean and cool. At the end of a hot humid day the water gets a little warm but the resort makes sure there is fresh cool water in the pool for the following day. We traveled with adults and found the pool at the top by the taco bar had less kids, cooler water and a better view. Each day we would find our FAVORITE pool waiter Jorge. You MUST get Jorge as your pool waiter. Even though our all inclusive package includes tips for the waiters we ALWAYS tipped them. We gave Jorge $20.00 a day and he never let us go hungry and always made sure our cups were full pool side. He is hard working, dependable and so sweet. Find Jorge and treat him well and he will do the same to you.
~Snorkeling - Plan a morning to get up early when there is NOT a cruise ship docked. You will find the most beautiful fish snorkeling at Pelican Beach. The all inclusive package allows you to use snorkel gear for 2 hours free of charge. We were down getting towels and our snorkel gear at 8:45 am. After getting your gear go down to the beach and find a boat taxi to take you over to Pelican beach/Lovers beach. It costs $7.00 per person round trip. The boat taxi will pick you up at the time you request. Before they drop you off at Pelican beach ask them to take you around the rocks to see Lovers Beach and Divorce Beach. It's well worth the money and time. No need to plan a $50.00 per person snorkeling trip when you can do this so close to the resort and is so reasonably priced. We did go on a snorkeling excursion and spent a full day and $50.00 per person only to find out that the trip we took to Pelican Beach the day before was perfect and the snorkeling was much, much better.
~Food - The food we had at the resort restaurants was wonderful. Our only complaint was the lack of waiters. We waited quite a while to order and then to get our food. We didn't mind too much as we were not in a hurry...it was vacation after all. :) So plan on being patient and take advantage of the time by chatting with friends/family and take in the beauty that surrounds you.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: We were in room 3208 A & B. It was nice but looked out towards the side of the resort. We had...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends