We booked a garden view room using my finance's Starwood points. Prior to our stay, he corresponded with the hotel direct to inquire about upgrading to an ocean front room. Upon his initial contact, there were none available. When he tried back at a later date, they informed him there would be a $40 upgrade charge. We decided to play it by ear.
When the bus arrived to drop us off, we were absolutely stunned by the beauty of the architecture as well as the grounds - it was truly lovely!
Upon check-in, we asked the front desk clerk if the upgrade was still available. He spent a moment checking and told us that it would be $80 plus 13% tax. When we asked about the $40 rate he told us that this room was right there in the main building directly overlooking the ocean - that it was "the best". We took it. When we went out to meet the Bellman, we were immediately intercepted by another gentleman who informed us that the room we'd been sold was just given to another couple! We began to head back to the front desk when he offered us an even "better" room. We figured we may as well check it out. It was very close to the water and pool - great view so we were satisfied.
We asked about their shuttle service as a taxi to town is $20 each way. The shuttle was $5.00 per person each way but only ran every hour and a half. We later discovered that they simply slap a Sheraton sticker upon the next taxi and send people on their way. One particular day, they told us we had to purchase roundtrip tickets and when we didn't use the return (the last one comes back at 9pm) it took us 3 days to convince them to give us credit for another ride. They kept sending us back and forth to different staff members until we finally asserted ourselves and were accomodated.
We dined in one of the restaurants our first night and the food was pretty good but not worth the pricing in my opinion. $9.00 for a bowl of soup is a little out there! The burgers by the pool were good - $14.00. Room service was fast and friendly and they didn't mark it up from the restaurant pricing (thank goodness). The very best value is the breakfast buffet - $25.00 which includes mimosas and bloody marys.
Overall, I would say the property itself was very, very nice. The bed was great and the shower was huge with awesome water pressure. The houskeeping staff was very friendly and efficient. The pools were clean and beautiful. You could drink the water in your room and in the restaurants which was nice.
One suggestion, since they're contracting with taxi drivers to provide "shuttle" service, they should offer a flat price and it should run hourly. Maybe charge each guest $50 per week. They'd most likely profit in the end!
Cabo itself is exorbitantly costly - very sad really! While it's common in Mexico to be scammed a bit, I didn't really expect it at the hotel - not at a Starwood resort. We were having a good time so we pretty much let it go. In the future, our room rate/type will be solidified prior to arrival.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With its cobblestone lanes, winding paths, quaint Placitas, fountains, restaurants, and shops, Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar captures the feel of Old Mexico. Our hotel in Los Cabos, Mexico features a full complement of guest services to satisfy the refined needs of both the meeting and leisure travelers. We present perfect accommodations in a spectacular setting on the oceanfront near Lovers Beach and the Arch of Cabo San Lucas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar Resort And Spa
- Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Sheraton Cabo San Lucas
- Cabo San Lucas Sheraton
- Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda Del Mar Cabo San Lucas