“Grounds nice, service eh....”

Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed November 28, 2005

My wife and I and some friends of ours stayed at the Sheraton 11/12-11/18. I thought the grounds were imacculate and very well kept. But, while we were there the pools, one by one, were having some sort of alge issue and were shut down one after the other for "cleaning". The service we experienced was underwhelming, particulary for a Sheraton resort property. Beware of their "ocean-front" rooms, our friends were not given what they were charged for initially. I also felt as though the Sheraton and Cabo in general nickle and dimed us to death. OR maybe I was just nieve. Going to the gym to start your day with a work out-$12.00. Relaxing by the pool on a hotel provided raft-$18.00. Having a cup of coffee in your room-$4.00. Staying at the Sheraton in Cabo.............expensive. Did I mention you can get a margharita pizza for $16.00.
I don't think I'll return to Cabo San Lucas. I didn't find anything too appealing there. The water sports were average. The scenery was blah. The weather was great though. Additionally, besides being nickle and dimed to death we were bombarded with an onslaught of sales people. Unrelenting and obnoxious. Oh and then the timeshare people, Wacky. Don't listen to the sales people on the street corners as they will tell you anything to get you to sit through one of the presentations...

Stayed: November 2005
9  Thank rugburnz
Write a ReviewReviews (1,784)

Reviewed November 27, 2005

We travel extensively and have stayed at many resorts all over the world. This is the place for us from now on whenever we visit Cabo. The staff was very accomodating and helpful, grounds were well kept with breathtaking views. We had reserved a modest room but were upgraded upon arrival. The pools were wonderful and saw whales from our lounge chairs every day. The two for one drink specials were great. We did think the meals are rather expensive, however are used to these prices when we stay at great resorts like this. Concierge advised we travel to San Jose del Cabo for lunch and provided a great mexican restaurant for us with strolling mexican guitar players at our table. What a great memory we have now from our first trip to Cabo. Will definitely return and stay at the Sheraton Hacienda.

• Stayed: February 2005
6  Thank Joanne B
Reviewed November 16, 2005

I just returned from a 5 day trip to Cabo for a wedding with 100 guests. Many of us stayed at the Sheraton and we all seemed to have different experiences in the same 5 days. Let me start by saying that my fiancee and I booked an ocean front room, but these rooms are really pool front. The room was still very nice and our service was wonderful. I never saw our room attendant but every time we would come back to the room the towels were fresh and the bed made. The sign of a good hotel is that these things were done seamlessly. When we first arrived we had a hard time connecting to the internet, one call and someone was knocking on our door within ten minutes to help us. From the gentleman that helped us truck our luggage to the room to the groundskeepers smiling hello we thought the employees all did a great job at making us feel pampered. The pools are lovely and the beach was fun, the only drawback of course being the drink prices, but having stayed in many resorts this seemed pretty standard. Roberto the head concierge recommended a jet ski tour that was one of the highlights of our trip, yet mixed up our dinner reservations. Again highlighting the extremes of the resort. On to the experiences of our friends. Two of our fellow travelers had a hard time getting anyone to come make up their rooms, even after multiple phone calls. Another person in our group had to go back to the desk over and over for new room keys. The breakfast buffet is great but way overpriced. Just ask for a menu and you will be provided with some great options at half the cost. The final insult was that one of our group was given a complimentary gift in his room, but it turned out that it had been left in his room in error. He came and told us about the platter but when he went back to his room the gift had been removed. He was then accused of stealing the platter. I can not believe that the Sheraton would have something removed from a guests room, even if delivered in error, without informing the guest. Hopefully if you are going to the Sheraton you will be treated to my experience but on the whole the resort is hit and miss.

• Stayed: November 2005
8  Thank trixie636
Reviewed October 23, 2005

I was very pleasantly surprised w/ the Sheraton Hacienda. I've stayed at many resorts throughout the Caribbean and this resort far surpassed my expectations. Because we were Starwood members, I was upgraded to an oceanfront room w/ GORGEOUS views of the pool and ocean. I was surprised to read the previous post regarding housekeeping because they were very attentive and actually came early every day.

The grounds of the Sheraton are just beautiful and the pools are great. My only disappointment was not being able to go in the Ocean - as it was VERY rough while we were there.

The food was adequate - my favorite was Tomatoes.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and loved the Sheraton. We even had relatives in Cabo at the same time staying at a very posh, expensive resort in Cabo and when they visited the Sheraton to see us - they wished they had stayed at the Sheraton instead! They thought it was gorgeous, yet relaxed - which is always a plus to me - A resort where you feel comfortable!

• Stayed: August 2005
11  Thank hellokitty216
A TripAdvisor Member
Modesto, California
Reviewed October 19, 2005

My husband and I just returned on Oct. 14th from a 7 day stay at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar. We were disappointed with the hotel overall. We won't go gack there. The best thing that I have to say about the hotel is that the grounds are beautiful and well kept. We had terrible housekeeping. The floors weren't swept (not pleasant when we are on a beach and we tracked sand in daily), towels picked up but not replaced, toilet not cleaned, room not cleaned until after 4 pm., etc. We complained to the Concierge and to the front desk. We finally got a clean and fully stocked room on the last day when we requested to speak to the manager. We refused to pay the $3.00 daily service charge for housekeeping that the hotel bills you. The food was expensive, which I expected, but the quality was mediocre and the service poor. We didn't feel the staff was terribly friendly or efficent. This is our 5th trip to Los Cabos in four years. We have stayed at the Westin and enjoyed it so much we bought a timeshare. Because we already used our timeshare week this year, we decided to use our Starwood points and stay the Sheraton. The Sheraton and Westin are incomparable. I suggest you look into staying at the Westin before you book a visit to the Sheraton. If you stay at any of the hotels along the corrider, the area between San Jose de Cabo and Cabo San Lucas, I recommend that you rent a car. I prefer National. They have the best prices. Pay the extra money and buy Mexican car insurance. My husband and I prefer San Jose de Cabo to Cabo San Lucas. It's a quiet, quaint Mexican town. There are no nightclubs and no one selling you timeshares on the street. The Sheraton doesn't offer shuttle service to San Jose de Cabo. It's worth at least one taxi ride. If you go, check out the following restuarants: Herradero ( a local, casual, inexpensive place to eat), La Panga, Tequilas, Local Eight and Damina's. The last four restaurants are on the pricey side but fabulous! We don't miss them when we go there. Stop by and have a margarita at the Tequila Boutique. They put in a secret ingredient that makes the margarita outstanding. We also enjoy going to Cabo Wabo in Cabo San Lucas when we feel like partying. We had an opportinity to see Sammy Hagar perform at his club, Cabo Wabo, on this last visit. He put on a great show. He performs periodically at the club. If you rent a car, you can also go to Santa Maria Bay or Chileno Beach to snorkel. Bring your own snorkel gear, bottled water, snacks and towels. We love Los Cabos, the people and the scenery. I just don't suggest that you stay at the Sheraton.

Stayed: October 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 16, 2005

I just got married at the Sheraton on October 8th and it was wonderful. Our room was great and the hotel was very attentive to us. We got calls every day to make sure things were okay, and the wedding went off without a hitch. When we arrived in Cabo there was a chance of rain of the day of our wedding so the hotel came up with a rain plan for us, just in case. The grounds are beautiful and clean and there are plenty of pools and happy hours to keep everyone busy. Yes, the food is expensive, but it is everywhere in Cabo. Cabo is not "cheap" Mexico by any means. We had a group of about 35 people with us and everyone had a great time. We had one question on our bill when we checked out and they took it off with no questions asked. We have two teenage/pre-teen children and they had a great time as well. We would definitely go back there again.

• Stayed: October 2005
8  Thank calitocabo
Reviewed October 13, 2005

This is the worst hotel we have ever stayed. The front desk staff was very rude when we checked into the hotel, they did not have the rooms that we had reserved. We paid for an ocean front room and they put us in a room that we could not use the balcony because there was construction in front of our room. The refrigerator was broken. There were cockroaches in the room. The staff argued with guests over everything! We thought the food was below average and very expensive. This vacation was ruined because of the hotel and the staff. If you have any other choices do not choose this hotel. They consider themselves a 5 star hotel but they do not have any idea what a 5 star hotel represents. We were shocked at how the staff treated their guests.

• Stayed: September 2005