“Beautiful location, but needs work”

Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed 3 nights at the Sheraton Hacienda and thought the grounds were very pretty, location is great (not too far from town), but won't be back. Note that I am a Starwood Platinum member.

- The hotel is completely overrun with fat, over feed seagulls and other birds.The kids at the hotel are constantly feeding the birds (we even had to ask a manager at one of the restaurants to tell a table with 4 kids to stop feeding the birds so the birds would stop swarming the patio). If you are sitting out at the pool not under an umbrella, you are risking getting hit with bird crap. The lounge chairs have a lot of stains from this.

- Pool chairs are "reserved" by about 8am every morning. If you don't get up early and claim a space, you might not get a chair or get enough chairs for your group together. There are signs up that say chairs cannot be reserved, but this is not enforced.

- Pitahayas Restaurant is extremely overpriced. I've been to this restaurant before (though it has probably been 5+ years) and remember the food being very good. This time, the food was average at best, but for 400-500 Pesos for each entree, there are much better options.

- The rooms in the main building seem dated and you can hear everything. The elevator was across the hall, but it could be clearly heard from the bathroom. We were upgraded to a Parlor suite, but thought the room and configuration were very odd. There was an extra bedroom up a rickety, wrought iron spiral staircase. It might be great for a family, but it was completely unnecessary for us since there were only 2 of us. It was a complete waste of space. The rest of the room was very small.

Room Tip: I do not recommend the Parlor suites unless you have kids. The rooms are very small (if you exclude...
2  Thank kpkpgrl
Sheraton H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent visit to the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, Los Cabos. We apologize for any inconveniences you may have had during your stay. We strive to ensure our guests have the most enjoyable experience possible, and encourage all guests to speak with the management team during their visit if there is anything they feel can be approved upon. If you have further comments or feedback you would like to share please feel free to contact Nadya Dodonova at nadezda.dodonova@sheraton.com. We value your opinions and appreciate you choosing to stay at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, Los Cabos. We again apologize for any dissatisfaction you may have had.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,758)

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My fiancé and I had some serious issues getting here from Philadelphia in February, but once we arrived we forgot all about our traveling woes. Rent a car- you will appreciate the flexibility- and please watch those speed bumps. I was upgraded to partial glimpse of ocean upon arrival. This hotel is expensive. The fridge situation in the room was strange. I ignored it and kept one of the two bathroom sinks filled with ice the entire stay. This property featured some excellent whale watching - breakfast buffet + whales = awesome. I must say this property featured some of the most amazing sunsets I've ever seen- free coffee downstairs also. The sunsets were just as good if not better. I highly recommend this resort, it's a really special place. The drive into Cabo San Lucas is great also - seeing the arc as you make your approach. Travel home was worse than on the way out. I hope to get back here someday.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank TheDonZ215
Sheraton H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Thank you for posting this great review of the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar, Los Cabos on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all your kind words and we're happy to know you enjoyed your stay. Sunsets are beautiful by the beach. Please come to Los Cabos again soon, so we can accommodate you and your soon to be husband once more.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

My boyfriend and I had an amazing stay in this gorgeous resort. Everything is high quality, from grounds to service to food. Not a single complaint. The grounds are beautiful, with several pools and hot tubs. The beach is nice and long, and great for walking around and exploring. We did not eat in any of the hotel restaurants, but we did order food by the pool as well as room service, and it was great although quite pricey. There are bars at every single pool and they all have happy hour at some point during the day, the times are on the brochure that you can get at reception. It's good source of information about activities and various deals and events around the resort, take the time to look through it. Do your research regarding buildings on property, they all have very different views and locations. We've been to several while checking out different rooms, and we realized that picking the right building (for you) can make a big difference in enjoying your stay.

Room Tip: Look at the map with buildings before choosing a room to your liking. Read the brochure they give...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for giving the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar, Los Cabos this great review on TripAdvisor. We are honored you chose us to host your stay and we're even more thrilled you enjoyed your time here at the resort. Please think of us again on your next trip to Los Cabos!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

The Sheraton property is absolutely gorgeous. The staff was friendly, food was good, live music at night. As a SPG member got free wi-fi in our room. Room had small refrigerator, balcony, Jacuzzi tub nice size room.
Tomatoes- ate breakfast there once and it was good-did al a cart.
Las Sirenas- lunch on the beach food was good- happy hour 11am - 12pm.
DeCortez -food was good not worth all the rave reviews- others must've felt the same because the restaurant was pretty empty compared to others on site. Live music, nice bar with firepit.
Definitely get the Los Cabos vouchers.
Grisoles- mexican food live mexican music, happy hour (2 for 1) at bar 5-10 pm and in restaurant - can't remember hours.
Pitahayas- we had drinks and appetizers here a couple of times what we had was good. I understand sometimes you can get the vouchers for this restaurant. I was told they have live music but we never heard it.
There are happy hours running throughout resort make sure to get that info, doesn't include top shelf.
Hubby got a massage he said it was great. On Tuesday, Weds., Thursday there is a 30% off deal, well worth it.
Hubby played Ocean Course in the afternoon which reduced rates from $330 to $210, and club rental went from 69 to 49. He said the course it absolutely beautiful.
Parking is free on-site.
Whale watching everyday was fun. As for beach swimming they red flag was up everyday we were there. The water can go from calm to huge waves in an instant. When the waves would pick up they would whistle for people to come in. The waves would just knock people over you really must be careful.
The grounds are just gorgeous. Will be back!

2  Thank Terry S

Thank you for posting this nice review of the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar, Los Cabos on TripAdvisor. Our staff works hard to provide our guests with the best customer service. Glad to know their hard work and dedication did not go unnoticed. Please come again!

Reviewed February 20, 2014

The least they deserve is me creating an account on tripadvisor I might never use again! Every single person who works in this hotel is tremendously helpful and friendly. They all made us have one of our best vacations ever... This was our first visit of many to come!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Debbie T

Thank you for posting this your review of the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar, Los Cabos on TripAdvisor. Our staff is dedicated to upholding great hospitality standards at this resort. Guests often commend our staff on their eagerness to service and friendly nature. We appreciate your compliments and thank you for choosing us!

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Check-in
Our check-in was rough. It was unclear which agent at the desk was available to help us. When we finally made it up to the counter, the agent spent at least 5 min ignoring us (not so much as a "I'll be with you shortly" or anything). When she greeted us, it was with a stone face and abrupt tone. She missed several other Starwood check in standards as well (confirming dates of stay, Make A Green Choice, etc). When I asked about the occupancy, she gave me a hostile 95% response, as if offended that I asked. When we asked if we could change the name to my boyfriend's on the reservation, we were told that due to the rate we had booked on, they were not able to do so (as a front desk agent myself at a Sheraton, I know this is false). Whatever.

Public Space:
I've worked at and visited many resorts in Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii, and by far, this is the most beautiful hotel I've ever visited, even more so than luxury hotels like Four Seasons and Fairmont. Situated on a golf course, it's removed from the road and directly on the beach. Landscaping and grounds are fabulous - lush, clean, well-maintained. Architecture and décor is soft bright colors that make really upbeat and cheerful environment. It'd be a gorgeous place to take wedding photos.

Rooms:
The room itself was great. Large, comfortable king bed, great linens, large flat-screen TV. They could've used an extra lamp, as it was pretty dim. Large closet with an in-room safe. Terrace with two wrought iron chairs, that weren't especially great for lounging. Tiled floors, and a ceiling fan. There was an empty cooler/fridge that we discovered on the last day of our trip, under the TV. An ice machine was just a few doors down from us. No problems with the water. Our room was in an inconvenient location, right next to a main pathway/thoroughfare to the kids pool. That was fine, travelling on the rate we had I didn't expect anything but the bottom of the barrel for room. That said, it was still awesome. We just had to be careful about keeping the sheer curtains closed due to foot traffic.

Bathroom:
One thing that I'll mention, because I didn't catch this anywhere before we travelled, is that the bathroom has a shuttered window that opens up to the rest of the room. It is not soundproof. The toilet is in it's own room within the bathroom, with a full door, at least. The shower is awesome - a huge, beautifully blue tiled walk-in, with a handy clothesline to use for wet suits. The water was ok to drink - but I did notice it left a "smell" in my hair, kinda musty. The power outlets in the bathrooms needed to be switched on with a separate switch before they'd work.

Pools/Beach:
Many pools on the propery (I think 5?). At least two are infinity pools that look right out to the ocean - it's gorgeous. Little islands and bridges through out that make it fun to explore. They're stingy about towels, needing a keycard to obtain them and writing down the quantity and room number (other resorts I've stayed at just give you towels when you get to the beach). There seemed to be a lot of space to spread out. Didn't see a lot of hogging chairs. There are showers and foot baths when going back up to the pool deck to wash sand off.

The beach was another story. If you aren't down there right away, you have to have your chair lined up in the 'second' row of chairs. We didn't get an umbrella, and there were chairs down there that people left towels on and we didn't see the entire time we were down there. They have signs about reserving chairs, it didn't seem to be enforced on the beach. I saw one couple take another's umbrella, because they were gone for a while, a dramatic confrontation went down because of it. Staff set up chairs for us, no umbrella as requested, the awkardly hung around for at tip. The guests at the beach were more annoying (spoke louder, voices carried) than people at the pool. The beach itself is beautiful, white powdery sand, long wide expanse. There are tidepools towards the right side that were so fun to explore - urchins, snails, crabs, minnows.

The ocean water was a bit rough for swimming, and seemed to get rougher in the afternoon when the winds picked up a bit around 330. However, the days we were there the water was nice and pretty calm - we went swimming no problem. It dropped off pretty quick, but the temp was great and it felt good to take a dip after the sun. I could see later in the day that it picked up, I wouldn't have ventured in then.

Housekeeping:
We asked for robes and slippers, but were only given robes. A lot of sand got tracked into the room no matter how careful we were, and it ended up on the sheets. We requested clean sheets and that was granted. We requested a box of kleenex one night, that never came. We also needed extra hangers, those came right away. There was a dead roach on the closet floor. Andes mints left at night and they organized our belongings for us (lining up shoes along the wall, etc).

Room Service:
Ordered a few meals that we told them we wanted to eat on the terrace. Unfortunately they were delivered on a large tray instead of the cart, so it was difficult to balance eating outside. Meals did not come with a glass of water; which I am so used to, that I didn't think to request it. Asked for starwberry yogurt, instead got sliced strawberries. Ordered Red Bull, it came at room temp, without a glass or ice. Everything we tried was tasty.

Restaurants:
We ate at Tomatoes and the pool bar for our meals when we didn't go into town. The Caprese wrap at the pool is AWESOME. Pesto, cherry tomatoes, mozzerella in a tortilla. We ate delicious fresh guac, salsa and chips with almost every meal. Service was friendly and took care of any special requests with a smile.

Transit/Shuttle:
Emailing guest services ahead of our trip gave us some options for transportation from the airport. We used a company called Caro or Cora. Shuttles were $34 per person round trip. We travelled with a few others en route to the hotel, so we had to wait for their flights to get in. I thought $34 was a bit excessive, but didn't know enough about the options to make our own arrangements. They have a shuttle that runs into town every hour and a half through a private company, which is $10 per person. It only went till 9pm, so if you were interested in partying in town, you'd have to find a taxi back. I think that the transit should be included with your rate, especially given how close Cabo San Lucas is.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
9  Thank anneylani

Thank you for posting such a great review of the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar, Los Cabos on TripAdvisor. This is definitely a unique property with great visuals of Los Cabos. Our guests rave about the resort's architecture, the colors, the vibrance, and of course, the magnificent Sea of Cortez. Thank you for taking the time to show us your recognition, we really appreciate it. Please visit us again soon!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We enjoyed our stay here very much~ it was beautiful and very clean. First off, overall this was a great hotel! Whale watching from our room! A couple tiny negative things, in the lobby there are a couple desks, 2 of which are time share and not clearly marked. A very nice gal tried to convince us to do the presentation thing, it was not what we wanted. The concierge desk , once we learned where it was, was very helpful. Also, swimming in the waters in front of the hotel were not the safest. Not for little kids, however there were several beautiful pools on the grounds. The food was OK, until the last night we discovered the Cortez restaurant on the north side of the property, it was amazing and a wonderful dining experience.

Room Tip: ocean view a must for whale watchers
1  Thank SueandFrank

Thank you for taking the time to post this review of the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar, Los Cabos on TripAdvisor. we appreciate your kind words and strive to provide all our guests with stellar accommodations. We encourage our guests to send feedback to our management team at nadezda.dodonova@sheraton.com. This way, we can work to perfect our hospitality standards!