“Beautiful hotel, overpriced dining options” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Ranked #25 of 69 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Salt Lake City
“Beautiful hotel, overpriced dining options”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is our 6th time staying at the timeshares at Hacienda del Mar. While the grounds, pools and beach are beautiful and well maintained, the dining options, with the exception of the all you can eat breakfast at Garisoles are really, really slow and way over priced! Do not go to Garisoles for dinner unless you want to spend a good 3 hours waiting to eat. The food is mediocre at best, and service extremely slow (to the point we got up to refill our own water glasses out of boredom). And who wants to pay $ 16 for a hot dog at the pool? The little grocery store at the resort is very handy - but again, way, way over priced! Do yourself a favor and get a cab to Walmart. Cook your meals in your condo or leave the resort to eat - you will enjoy yourself so much more. Even with the cost of cab fare you will save a ton of $. Paying for internet (30 minutes free per day) is ridiculous also!

Room Tip: Sorry - you don't get a choice! Even if you tip big at the front desk there is no guarantee tha...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SunLovingMom77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Greek first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Spent a week here and enjoyed the resort. Water is beautiful to watch although you cannot swim in 20 foot crashing waves. Pools are plentiful and beautiful, several infinity pools where you can sit in the water and watch the ocean. Pool bars have great nachos.
Things to be aware of: based on other reviews that discuss the high price of drinks and food, we bought beer and snacks at Costco. What we didn't realize is that there is a 15 dollar per day charge to use the refrigerator in your room; so be sure and get a disposable ice chest (ice is free). There are several 2 for 1 happy hours that move from bar to bar starting at 11:00am and going until 6:00pm. The front desk will give you the list of where and when. Even so, the happy hour brings prices down to 5 dollar mixed drinks and 3 dollar beers.
After checking in, you will be sent to what we thought was the concierge at a desk near check in. She is actually there to sign you up for the time share pitch which comes with a free breakfast and various resort discounts. We were told that these things were offered to us because we were staying a week.....not true. They will ask for a refundable 20 dollar deposit for the breakfast to make sure you show up.
Lastly, the resort put a 800+ dollar hold on our credit card for incidentals. This would not have been such a problem had they told us about it. As it were, my husband saw the charge on his IPad and thought we had our credit card stolen. They were apologetic, but still. Also, there are 2 places for breakfast; Tomatoes is and all you can eat buffet for about 27 dollars per person and Girasoles is an all you can order off the menu for 16 per person, both include mimosas and bloody marys......don't confuse them as we did! All of these things happened the first day and we were very upset. Day two through seven were great however. Beautiful beach, beautiful weather, many fun places to explore if you rent a car (recommended).

Room Tip: Ocean view is different than ocean front. We had ocean view to our side but it was still lovely.
2 Thank Cinnard
Kila, Montana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Hacienda del Mar was GREAT. The staff makes you feel at home! Always greeting you with a smile! The grounds were beautiful, and extremely well maintained. The rooms were nice and lots of pools.... would go back again... Thank you for a wonderful experience.

san diego, california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The location and the hotel room were absolutely gorgeous. The gym was very nice as well. However, there were a few set backs that really bugged me quite a bit. 1. you cannot swim at the beach if you are anything below an advanced swimmer. I am an avid ocean swimmer and the staff would not allow me to enter the water because of the large waves. This to me is a HUGE problem considering people go to cabo san lucas for the beaches and weather. Yes, the hotel is close to other beaches however, there is nothing like swimming at your own hotel. 2. the food at the restaurant was absolutely terrible and overpriced! I would not eat anything at the hotel! Go into town and save yourself hundreds of dollars. 3. the room service managed to screw something up every single day we ordered something 4. The hotel gives you 30 minutes of free wi fi before they start charging you. If you pay a few hundred dollars for a room, this is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Everything was great during our stay but I will definitely not stay at this hotel next time because of the beach/swimming issue!

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view!
1 Thank ljbeachboy
Burbank, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I really can't say enough good things about our stay here. We just got home today from a 4 night stay and I couldn't wait to rave about it. The grounds are beautiful the rooms are comfortable and well taken care of, the staff is UNBELIEVABLY courteous and helpful. The only area that would not get glowing remarks from me would be the food. It was hit or miss. Girasoles was good, Tomatoes was so, so. The best food we had there was honestly from the poolside bars. We loved the food from Delfines and Sirenas. I should say that I am not exactly a foodie so maybe I did not taste some of their better food options. My husband and I traveled with our 4 and 6 year old children, my parents, and my brother, sister-in-law and 2 year nephew and a good time was had by all. There was something for everyone. I feel as though I have to reiterate that the property itself is stunning. It has a Mediterranean charm and the views are stunning every which way you turn. A special thanks to Josephina (concierge) who hooked us up with a Cabo Adventures zip lining adventure. It was hands down one of the coolest things my husband and I have ever done! I highly recommend Cabo Adventures. So professional and fun. We booked our trip through Costco Travel and felt like we got an unbelievable deal given how wonderful our trip was. Loved it!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bruinett
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I vacationed at the Hacienda del Mar to celebrate a birthday with a friend. My review of the hotel itself is very positive - beautiful and well maintained property, clean rooms, friendly housekeeping staff and very nice pool and beach areas.

Unfortunately, my experiences with the Front Desk staff and the hotel management were so painful that it's overshadowing the rest of the stay. When we checked in, the staff was rude, curt, and unconcerned with the note I had included when making the reservation that we were celebrating a birthday. There was more emphasis on the time share sales pitch than any other aspect of our stay - they even called our room two days into our trip to ask again if we were interested.

Even now, a month after my stay, I'm still trying to resolve charges to my credit card that don't match statements and the management is clearly more concerned with the bottom line than providing clear answers to questions or good customer service.

Based on other reviews it sounds more like a pattern than a random, isolated incident. If you have all the time and patience in the world and rudeness isn't a deterrent, then this hotel is worth consideration.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Cleo435
Reno, NV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The resort is clean, comfortable, and nicely landscaped, but the food is overpriced and mediocre. The people who worked at the pools, restaurants, and housekeeping were EXTREMELY nice and helpful.

But be careful, avoid the reception area at all costs. Those people are just out to a buck at every opportunity. The woman who checked us in signed me up for a Starwood rewards account without my permission, which really sucks because I already had one. Now I have 2 that I can't seem to combine, so my points are useless. My guess is she makes money for every person she signs up, so she just signs up everyone! The timeshare guy was just rude. I told him that, "no thank you, I'm not interested" multiple times, and his response was always, "interested in what?" and then would follow me for a bit mocking me while I ignored him. This happened a few times until I started walking the long way around to avoid him. It ruined my enjoyment of my vacation. I wish I had gotten his name to call him out personally. Not only did he fail in selling me a timeshare, he also ensured that I will never come back.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar
Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar
#10 of 69 in Cabo San Lucas
4.5 of 5 stars 1,241 reviews

Been to Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar? Share your experiences!