“beautiful resort, things to look out for” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Ranked #25 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“beautiful resort, things to look out for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Spent a week here and enjoyed the resort. Water is beautiful to watch although you cannot swim in 20 foot crashing waves. Pools are plentiful and beautiful, several infinity pools where you can sit in the water and watch the ocean. Pool bars have great nachos.
Things to be aware of: based on other reviews that discuss the high price of drinks and food, we bought beer and snacks at Costco. What we didn't realize is that there is a 15 dollar per day charge to use the refrigerator in your room; so be sure and get a disposable ice chest (ice is free). There are several 2 for 1 happy hours that move from bar to bar starting at 11:00am and going until 6:00pm. The front desk will give you the list of where and when. Even so, the happy hour brings prices down to 5 dollar mixed drinks and 3 dollar beers.
After checking in, you will be sent to what we thought was the concierge at a desk near check in. She is actually there to sign you up for the time share pitch which comes with a free breakfast and various resort discounts. We were told that these things were offered to us because we were staying a week.....not true. They will ask for a refundable 20 dollar deposit for the breakfast to make sure you show up.
Lastly, the resort put a 800+ dollar hold on our credit card for incidentals. This would not have been such a problem had they told us about it. As it were, my husband saw the charge on his IPad and thought we had our credit card stolen. They were apologetic, but still. Also, there are 2 places for breakfast; Tomatoes is and all you can eat buffet for about 27 dollars per person and Girasoles is an all you can order off the menu for 16 per person, both include mimosas and bloody marys......don't confuse them as we did! All of these things happened the first day and we were very upset. Day two through seven were great however. Beautiful beach, beautiful weather, many fun places to explore if you rent a car (recommended).

Room Tip: Ocean view is different than ocean front. We had ocean view to our side but it was still lovely.
2 Thank Cinnard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Greek first
Kila, Montana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Hacienda del Mar was GREAT. The staff makes you feel at home! Always greeting you with a smile! The grounds were beautiful, and extremely well maintained. The rooms were nice and lots of pools.... would go back again... Thank you for a wonderful experience.

san diego, california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The location and the hotel room were absolutely gorgeous. The gym was very nice as well. However, there were a few set backs that really bugged me quite a bit. 1. you cannot swim at the beach if you are anything below an advanced swimmer. I am an avid ocean swimmer and the staff would not allow me to enter the water because of the large waves. This to me is a HUGE problem considering people go to cabo san lucas for the beaches and weather. Yes, the hotel is close to other beaches however, there is nothing like swimming at your own hotel. 2. the food at the restaurant was absolutely terrible and overpriced! I would not eat anything at the hotel! Go into town and save yourself hundreds of dollars. 3. the room service managed to screw something up every single day we ordered something 4. The hotel gives you 30 minutes of free wi fi before they start charging you. If you pay a few hundred dollars for a room, this is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Everything was great during our stay but I will definitely not stay at this hotel next time because of the beach/swimming issue!

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view!
1 Thank ljbeachboy
Burbank, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I really can't say enough good things about our stay here. We just got home today from a 4 night stay and I couldn't wait to rave about it. The grounds are beautiful the rooms are comfortable and well taken care of, the staff is UNBELIEVABLY courteous and helpful. The only area that would not get glowing remarks from me would be the food. It was hit or miss. Girasoles was good, Tomatoes was so, so. The best food we had there was honestly from the poolside bars. We loved the food from Delfines and Sirenas. I should say that I am not exactly a foodie so maybe I did not taste some of their better food options. My husband and I traveled with our 4 and 6 year old children, my parents, and my brother, sister-in-law and 2 year nephew and a good time was had by all. There was something for everyone. I feel as though I have to reiterate that the property itself is stunning. It has a Mediterranean charm and the views are stunning every which way you turn. A special thanks to Josephina (concierge) who hooked us up with a Cabo Adventures zip lining adventure. It was hands down one of the coolest things my husband and I have ever done! I highly recommend Cabo Adventures. So professional and fun. We booked our trip through Costco Travel and felt like we got an unbelievable deal given how wonderful our trip was. Loved it!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bruinett
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I vacationed at the Hacienda del Mar to celebrate a birthday with a friend. My review of the hotel itself is very positive - beautiful and well maintained property, clean rooms, friendly housekeeping staff and very nice pool and beach areas.

Unfortunately, my experiences with the Front Desk staff and the hotel management were so painful that it's overshadowing the rest of the stay. When we checked in, the staff was rude, curt, and unconcerned with the note I had included when making the reservation that we were celebrating a birthday. There was more emphasis on the time share sales pitch than any other aspect of our stay - they even called our room two days into our trip to ask again if we were interested.

Even now, a month after my stay, I'm still trying to resolve charges to my credit card that don't match statements and the management is clearly more concerned with the bottom line than providing clear answers to questions or good customer service.

Based on other reviews it sounds more like a pattern than a random, isolated incident. If you have all the time and patience in the world and rudeness isn't a deterrent, then this hotel is worth consideration.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Cleo435
Reno, NV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The resort is clean, comfortable, and nicely landscaped, but the food is overpriced and mediocre. The people who worked at the pools, restaurants, and housekeeping were EXTREMELY nice and helpful.

But be careful, avoid the reception area at all costs. Those people are just out to a buck at every opportunity. The woman who checked us in signed me up for a Starwood rewards account without my permission, which really sucks because I already had one. Now I have 2 that I can't seem to combine, so my points are useless. My guess is she makes money for every person she signs up, so she just signs up everyone! The timeshare guy was just rude. I told him that, "no thank you, I'm not interested" multiple times, and his response was always, "interested in what?" and then would follow me for a bit mocking me while I ignored him. This happened a few times until I started walking the long way around to avoid him. It ruined my enjoyment of my vacation. I wish I had gotten his name to call him out personally. Not only did he fail in selling me a timeshare, he also ensured that I will never come back.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dave_929
Roslyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Overall a really nice experience at the Sheraton hacienda del mar in cabo. We (13) of us travelled on a family vacation to celebrate our dad’s 70th birthday. We left on a direct flight from Newark on United to Cabo and had prearranged our hotel transfers thru CaboTransfers.com. They were right outside the terminal with a sign and we were able to transport us all for a private round-trip for $190. The airport is a solid 40 minute drive to the hotel which is located in the corridor.
We arrived at the hotel around 2pm, check-in went smoothly and 4 of the 5 rooms were ready and the last was only another hour. We were quickly transported to the rooms with our bags without running into any timeshare people. The rooms, your standard hotel room, the air conditioning worked well and we had an ocean view room from the balcony. The bathroom had 2 sinks and separate toilet area for privacy. The shower pressure was really good and my two little girls 9 and 6 enjoyed taking bubble baths in the Jacuzzi tub. We did have some issues with housekeeping, one of the days coming back from the beach/pool the room was not yet made up, therefore we had no clean towels, etc. We also found that the floor was dirty, not visually – we would be walking around without socks or shoes in the room and everyone’s feet were black, we would use a wash cloth on our feet before we got into bed. We were on the 3rd floor room 2536 and heard no other noise from any other room.
Pool/Beach – ugh where to start, it’s not easy getting 10 chairs together and if you didn’t get up early you were out of luck. We would get up each day no later than 7:15am to reserve chairs, you need to go down and bring shirts, magazines, beach bags etc. to hold them a towel is not sufficient. They have a policy of no holding chairs but if you didn’t get down you were out of luck. We would see people walking around at 9am-10am looking for somewhere to sit and there wasn’t a chair to be had. Towels, this was an issue, the hotel wouldn’t have towels until 7:30-8am each morning and run out periodically during the day, I couldn’t understand how this could happen.
The drink/food service around the pool was excellent you would never have to wait more than 15 minutes for a waiter to come to take your order. We heard that the ocean was not swimmable, that is not totally true, yes one day it was rougher than another but we had a few days where our little ones we able to play in the ocean of course with adult supervision in as well.
Restaurants, the 2 choices for breakfast were tomatoes and girasoles. We ate at tomatoes all but once as we felt the buffet had a large enough selection as well as an omelet station and if there was something else – waffles, choc milk, ice coffee you could order from the staff. Girasoles was ok, all you can eat as well but it was cooked to order and was slow. We ate dinner at girasoles for a traditional Mexican meal and it was fine. The other evening we at dinner at Pitahayas, the fine dining restaurant and again was just ok, they had live music and steps from the ocean.
Outside dining: We ate at 3 restaurants off the property, once in San Jose – Morgan Encore this was a 25-30 minute drive and were able to squeeze us all in one large van for $80. This restaurant was amazing, nyc quality, great service and delicious food. The atmosphere here is great, with an open air courtyard and only approx. 8-10 table’s total. This restaurant was not cheap but easily $100/p including drinks. The other 2 nights we went into Cabo which was only 10-15 minutes from the hotel, once at the office on the beach which was a lot of fun, this is literally tables on the sand with live music. This place caters to the adults and children; they had a guy making balloon animals for the kids and another guy doing shots for the adults. The service here was terrific as well and the food was really good. Our favorite meal was Edith’s, this was another nyc quality restaurant, the food was great, the ny strip I had was tremendous and I couldn’t even finish it and was very good, I started with tuna tartare on lettuce cups which was great. The kids enjoyed watching the waiters make Caesar salad tableside and banana flambé and flaming coffee. For something different we tried the grapefruit martini, so good, real grapefruit pulp in it, again this was easily $100/person.
The spa/gym – we used the gym each day as we felt that with all the food and drinks we should try to burn some of it off, they had a lot of bikes, treadmills, elliptical and free weights and machines, larger than a lot of other resorts. My wife and 3 sister in-laws all had massages and said they were amazing.
Stuff to buy on the beach, yes we were suckers we bought silver (obviously fake) on the beach and other beaded necklaces, rings, but were able to bargained them down to half of what we asked the price. Our girls braided their hair for $5/braid they originally wanted $8/braid.
Overall we had a great trip, aside from not being able to sleep late as we had to jockey for chairs but we would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar
Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar
#9 of 68 in Cabo San Lucas
4.5 of 5 stars 1,261 reviews

Been to Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar? Share your experiences!