“Very disappointed”

Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Ranked #31 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We used to love this hotel but this trip was very disappointing.The customer service was horrible and for a hotel that had minimal occupancy, no one was accommodating. Pool bathroom was under construction so only option was spa bathroom but you had to plead your case to the spa just for them to let you use the restrooms. I reserved 4 ocean front rooms over the phone thru Starwood directly. The rooms were to include internet but apparently that means 30 minutes a day only. After that we would be charged which is fine if the internet worked. They wanted to charge me for an extra person (3 in the room) when I already paid for 3 people to be in that room. They don’t allow you to remove anything from the fridge or give you an additional fridge for your room, even for medication. If you want items removed to store your own, its $15/day. The staff, with the exception of the bell desk was rude, slow and almost angry at times for no reason. This was my 6th time at this resort and I will never go back

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jasmine R
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Recently stayed at the Shearaton on a golfing trip to Mexico. Stayed for 9 nights. The resort was very well maintained and staff were always very friendly and happy to help with any issues. A big mention to the staff at Tomatoes who were very good. The facilities at the resort are very good, starting with the number of different pools to choose from all with great views, to the gym with modern equipment. The rooms are quite spacious and cleaning staff were very good.
If there was a downside it would be that you cant really swim at the beach. It is simply to dangerous for the unexperienced. The resort is very convenient to the Cabo Del Sol Golf courses for those that play golf. A shuttle runs from the resort to the courses. Overall I would happily recommend this resort for anyone to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Regan B
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Nice hotel, pool(s) & beach felt I got tricked into a time share sale. As soon we signed in I was wisked to another desk and thought I was speaking with the concierge and was paying $20 for discounts on attractions as a guest of the hotel. Rather it was the time share sale scam that I have absolutely no interest in. Wasted an hour of my precious time. The pools are great, the beach was nice.They even groom the beach however there is sadly some trash on it. As a surfrider foundation member, I picked up trash every time I was on the beach. They try to help save the turtle eggs and have the nests protected which is great. In general the staff was great. I thought the restaurants were very over priced. I recommend you go into town to eat. We had reserved a garden view room but once there decided to upgrade to an ocean view. The hotel was quite empty so I was disapointed I had to pay $50 extra an a night but did it anyway. The upgraded room had a slight pain smell too it. The pools were very nice. Oh, and make sure you lock your stuff up. We were in a room late one afternoon after it had been cleaned and house cleaning knocked on the door which seemed odd......

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pbsurfer
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I took my family of 5 back to Cabo for the 3rd time. Stayed at the Sheraton 1st visit, Westin 2nd visit; by far the Sheraton got the families vote to return. The room was spacious and clean and well kept. The service thru out the property is top notch. Everyone made us feel like we were the only guest there. Oscar - he works poolside, was number 1 !!! Took care of us above and beyond. Every person who we encountered during our stay from the housekeepers to the waitstaff was so friendly and aimed to please. The property overall is beautiful, and immaculately maintained. Perfect atmosphere for families; far enough away from the downtown Cabo party scene, yet close enough for family adventures. The Sheratons beach is beautiful. All the pools were perfect; our favorite being the infinity pool. I highly recommend this property!! I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Loved room #1920
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sunshine1066
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I recently returned from a trip to Cabo to scope out some possible locations for a wedding with a friend of mine. We chose to book this resort for accommodations as I got a very good rate but I didn't have any expectations for this place other than a base to sleep in while checking out the more "luxury" resorts but it became way more than that. As soon as we drove up to the entrance we were blown away by the sheer beauty of this place. Once we arrived at the lobby we were warmly greeted by staff and although we were not able to check in right away due to arriving early , we were immediately able to start enjoying the property. Once the room was ready, we were escorted to our room on a golf cart. The bellman then proceed to walk us through the amenities of our room before leaving us to relax. The garden view room (which is the most basic) was alot more spacious than many of the far more expensive resorts that we viewed during the week. Not to mention that there was a quit pool with a swim up bar right outside of our back door!!!!! Well I don't want to ramble on but I really want to highlight the staff at the resort. Every person who we encountered during our week from the housekeepers to the waitstaff at the restaurants (which all had wonderful food) was so friendly and efficient. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: All the rooms are well appointed and have great views no matter what you choose.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bermychick8
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My fiancé and I were re-routed to the Sheraton after the Riu Palace cancelled our reservation due to flooding. I guess it was a blessing in disguise because this property is beautiful and we had an amazing time. All the employees were super friendly. The rooms are of good size and everything was clean & well kept.

The Sheraton is definitely a place to get some good r&r. It's definitely not the place for you if you're looking to party and get crazy. The whole property was pretty quiet and we seldomly crossed paths with any other patrons other than in the common areas ie pool & restaurants.

Only drawbacks is that the food/drinks are pretty expensive although they do offer 2 for 1 drink specials at the pool everyday. Another minor drawback is that the hotel is located on the corridor so it's about a $20 cab ride to town each way. The hotel does offer a discounted cab service for $5 each way but the last ride back to the hotel is 9:30pm which is kind of early.

Oh and FYI, they will try to sell you on a time share upon arrival. We got suckered in because they offered discounts on activities and $100 voucher at their steak & seafood rest which we def. took advantage of on both accounts. The shpeel took about 2hrs and included breakfast. Just know that they will throw 3 salespeople at you before they let you go. Think, used car salesmen.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AdrienP929
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We just returned from celebrating our daughter's birthday at the Sheraton, and we could not be more pleased. We saved money by renting a garden-view room instead of an ocean-view room, and we were pleasantly surprised to be situated in the 3100 building (Granada) next to the best pool on the property. The hotel and grounds are beautiful, with tasteful decor and lush landscaping. Unlike other reviewers, we had excellent service at the Sheraton. Our grandson lost his new Crocs the first morning we were there, and the Lost and Found desk located them quickly and returned them to him within a half-hour. I do agree with the comments about the expensive food, but we found this to be generally true in Los Cabos. (We had breakfast at Palmilla, another resort further south on the hotel corridor, and the tab was $192 US dollars for good food but poor service for three adults and two small children!) We found several ways to save money for family meals. My son-in-law found out that the condos right next door to the Sheraton have a restaurant with an ocean view, which provided a delicious breakfast for half the cost of the hotel buffet. The staff drove us over and back in a golf cart, although it is close enough to walk. The Sheraton is a ten minute drive from a Wal Mart and Costco, and even closer to an OXXO (a chain of convenience stores which have proliferated throughout Mexico). We purchased a foam cooler for $6 at the OXXO and kept snacks, fruit, juice and other goodies in our room for light meals. We elected not to purchase the all inclusive package, but this might be a reasonable option for other families. We also asked the locals for advice on where the residents eat, and wound up at Mariscos Mazatlan which is only one-and-a-half blocks from the Punto Paraiso shopping center and marina and which provided a delicious, reasonably priced meal. A rental car is a must since taxi prices are exorbitant. We rented from Dominic of Los Cabos after seeing a review on Trip Advisor. Overall, we enjoyed our trip greatly, saw beautiful scenery and met wonderful people, and would love to return for another visit.

Room Tip: A room in the 3100 building (Granada) puts you next to a beautiful pool which has a swim-up bar, pal...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Tesoro Los Cabos
Tesoro Los Cabos
#61 of 118 in Los Cabos
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
#22 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
#23 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas

Been to Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar? Share your experiences!