“Laid back and beautiful!”

Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Ranked #30 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Calgary, Canada
“Laid back and beautiful!”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Spent two weeks overlooking the Sea of Cortez from this beautifully maintained resort. The staff were all very friendly and the pools were awesome. Girasoles restaurant have the best serving staff I have experienced anywhere and they are always warm and welcoming. The all you can eat breakfast is worth the 16.50USD and they never charged for our 8 year old son to share our morning meals.
We pre-booked the airport shuttle pickup (80usd) return for 2 adults and 1 child and then booked our car rental online and got the cheaper rate.

The only real complaints we had was the cost of food at the hotels was expensive, and we were not able to check into our room until we were taken aside for the 'timeshare' sell.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank magoosmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Greek first
Oakland, California
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We were gifted a week of vacation through RCI. It just so happened that my friend was getting married at the Sheraton so it was the perfect opportunity to use our week. We spent 6 nights at the timeshare part of the Sheraton and one night in the hotel. I wish we would have stayed in the hotel the entire time.
Upon checking in, we were assigned a room in Villa #36. The room was very large--separate bedroom in rear of room, two full bathrooms, and living/dining room and partial (very partial) kitchen. There was a huge balcony with hot tub. There was absolutely no view and we were in the villa furthest away from the ocean and beach. We requested a new room on several occasions--I wanted a bit of a view and also have a toddler that made trekking all the way down to the beach/pool every day more difficult. They repeatedly told me there were no rooms available--although my friend was able to move easily.
It seemed as if there was a new issue with this room every day. 1) Hair dryer was falling out of the wall and wires were exposed. To their credit, they fixed this immediately. 2) The maid delivered wet towels to our room. 3) The jacuzzi didn't work. They did fix this eventually. 3) the lights on the balcony were at ankle-level and the light bulbs were hanging loosely and wires were exposed. They fixed one of these after our complaint, but not all of them. 4) There was rodent excrement all over the light fixtures on the balcony. We complained about this twice. They were at perfect level for my toddler to go playing with it. This was never addressed so we were forced to avoid the balcony. I find it hard to believe that maintenance can be lacking so in such a huge, well reputed resort. We later learned that the room we were assigned was in the oldest of the buildings. They no longer make that room layout because it is less desirable than the other room layouts. We were also told that because we were with RCI, we were assigned this room. Apparently, this resort only wants to treat their own well, but when it comes to someone using an exchange from RCI, they are going to put you in the oldest, least maintained, and least desirable room in the resort. (Not kidding, this is what we were told.)

We checked into the hotel for one night before we left. This was a far superior room, albeit much much smaller than our timeshare room. We wished we would have been in that room for the entire visit. We booked the hotel room using Starwood Cash and Points. We had assumed that meant we wouldn't get the best of the best in rooms. We were wrong. We had a beautiful room with a direct and sweeping view of the ocean. Stay at the hotel, not the resort.

The pool area is beautiful as is the beach. The restaurants were pretty good. A bit expensive though. If you are a wine drinker, you will be sorry. My husband is a sommelier in a busy San Francisco restaurant and he was appalled by the prices. The list is extensive, but the markup was absolutely incredible. A bottle of champagne that sells at my husband's restaurant for $80 was priced at over $300!

We did do the timeshare presentation. It was worth it--you get a tour of the resort and $100 to use on food/drink at the resort. We did the tour on our second day there and we talked seriously about purchasing. However, after the issues with our room and the lack of customer service regarding our issues, we would rather spend our money elsewhere.

This resort is nice, but with all of the resort choices in Los Cabos, I would suggest trying something else out.

Room Tip: Avoid Villa #36.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank J C
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Loved the location here. Great pools. Great Views. Easy to get to downtown on the shuttle or via cab late at night.

I have to say, I wasn't impressed with the rooms or the restaurants. We had a king room ocean front in villa 23. As I said above, GREAT location and great view. However, the rooms were old and walking into them from the outside you couldn't help but pick up the deep smell of mildew. Entering the room there was a healthy bathroom on your right with separate soaker tub (which we were warned not to use for fear of the safety of the water) and a separate shower.

After that the room was just average, maybe even bland by most sheraton standards (i'm spg gold, previously platinum). the bed was comfortable, I'll give them that. And the patio was awesome. I could literally just step out of the room and into the pool.

However, we did not have good food experiences here. Let's start with the positives. Good apps in the snack pool bar.... I forgot the name. Calamari was good, as were the chips and guac/salsa. Drinks were good, but a little light on the booze. Beers were always cold.

the breakfast buffet at Tomatos was good too, but I wouldn't go further than that. They try to make you really like it by providing you with a make-it-yourself bloody mary and mimosa bar but getting me drunk, while a nice touch, didn't make the food any better. The omlette station was good but the wife thought her egg white omlette wasn't cooked all the way through, despite asking for "well done". I thought the selections on the hot buffet side were lacking anything really outstanding. It was all just OK from the little breakfast nacho dish (chickettes?) to the breakfast potato and even the beef stew and ribs. Nothing fantastic there. For $16 each plus tips I again say this was just average.

The disaster of the place is D'Cortez. Talk about serving on ISLAND TIME - OMG. After seating us inside we waited, and waited and waited some more. Finally one of the waiters comes over and asks us if we're ready to order dinner. Really? Not a mention of drinks (we didn't even have water yet at this point), nor a offer for an appetizer.... they obviously don't know how to work up their tips. But regardless we went ahead and ordered because we were already "pot committed" to this place in terms of time. The drinks finally arrived. I had ordered a goose martini with extra olives. My wife a glass of chardonnay. The wife said her wine was excellent. Probably the best she's had in mexico. My martini arrived with three tiny little kalamatta olives on a tooth pick. I literally laughed. good attempt i guess.

For the food, I had the seafood stock pot and my wife the filet ( i wasn't going to order a $55 steak that wasn't prime but my wife isn't a seafood person). Seriously all the steaks were over $50 for what? "Certified Black Angus" Again, NOT PRIME. who would do that? My seafood pot was good, not great. It had one oyster, one clam and two shrimp but had tons of those little mini marshmallow size scallops in there... for I don't even remember let's say $45. The steak that my wife ordered was fine I guess. Same steak you can buy at Walmart and cook yourself for $8/lb.

OK I'm done with the food...... the hotel staff was VERY friendly. The bag/bell boys especially were great. The service at the pools was a little slow and they didn't come to the hot tub unless you flagged them down.

Pitahayas was good, although we went there for business and didn't experience the entire menu. What we did have - tuna app, lamb chop lollys were EXCELLENT. The red snapper for dinner was my selection and it too exceeded expectations.

All in all this was a nice place but needs some updating in the rooms. Also, be warned, as soon as you check in you are escorted to the time share guy. This takes 20 minutes at least for him to leave you alone and accept "no" for the 100th time. That was annoying but not unexpected for us.

Finally, we did get to experience two baby turtle releases.... which was quite the unexpected treat and worth every penny! It of course was free.

Room Tip: building 23 is right next to De Cortez and one of the 4 pools
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank naperbill
Sacramento, California
Reviewed November 6, 2011

This resort is wonderful. I stayed here for 7 days with friends. It was extremely comfortable. The kitchen was fully furnished with all the pots, pans, flatware and dishes you need. There was no oven but that's pretty standard for these resorts. There was a stove top with 4 burners, a full refrigerator and a microwave. There was maid service twice a day, at a cost of $4.00 per day. The resort offers a shuttle to Cabo and back for $10 roundtrip. It costs more for a cab. The resort offers daily activities like water aerobics, Mexican Bingo, Spanish lessons, cooking class, water volleyball and more. There are 4 restaurants on property but there are also additional snack bars. The restaurants are a bit expensive but I believe they inflate the cost because the resort gives food credit/certificates for attending their timeshare presentations. The towels (both at the pool and in the rooms) are good thick quality. Although I know that pools in Mexico are not heated, I could swear that, at least, one of the pools (and there are several) was heated because it was often the temperature of bath water (awesome!)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Great property loved it. Service was good. Seemed like our honeymoon was going to be perfect The BAD
Was duped in to a sales pitch "come for a free breakfast and you'll get a free kayak activity". Sounded good but when we went to the breakfast some arrogant guy like a used car salesman was grilling me w/ questions

How Much is your annual income?
How many vacations you take a year?
Do you own a timeshare?
Apparently they were trying to sell me a time share. But the fact that i was tricked into this by the concierge in the hotel lobby was very upsetting
I basically walked out and they wanted to charge me for the breakfast after protesting they waived it.
Totally unnecessary aggravation never mind on my honeymoon left a very bad taste on the whole trip. Luckily that was the first half of my honeymoon after we left cabo went to punta mita st regis and...well you can check my review on st regis punta mita

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
10 Thank bmwminirc10
Colorado, USA
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We came here for a wedding and stayed for 3 nights. It was a great hotel; the room was beautiful (we got upgraded to a presidential suite because my husband was in their rewards program), the view from the balcony was breathtaking, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The resort is huge, and a lot of detail has obviously been paid to decorations and landscaping. The soap in our room was amazing, and the bed was extremely comfortable.

The infinity pool and various other pools on the property were very nice, especially since you couldn't really swim in the ocean (it seems the flags were always red), although we did go in anyway. Beware of the strong surf, but once you're past the breakers it's not terrible.

The thing I didn't like about the resort were the people constantly trying to sell you timeshares. When we first checked in a lady sat us down to invite us to a timeshare gathering. Then the next morning they called our room to invite us to a timeshare lunch, which I found a bit intrusive.

The food on site was okay; I enjoyed the fresh blended smoothies in Tomates restaurant, but the sushi sports bar was mediocre at best.

My biggest issue was that it was about a $20USD cab ride to town, and there weren't any walking/running trails leading from the resort. So basically you were stuck on the property unless you wanted to shell out $40USD to get to the city and back.

Otherwise I really enjoyed my time here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank linteater
kirkland wa
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I have never been so thankful that I brought my reservation confirmation with me. Without it, we would have only recieved a $100 resort credit (not $200).
After a frustrating experience with the SPG reception desk, I took a little break, came back and spoke with Mari Cruz, who is in management. Only then did we receive the customer service we have come to expect from SPG. We were now able to say in one room for our entire stay-and the complimentary upgrade we were assured by SPG reservations would be available suddenly became available as well!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dawgstar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabo San Lucas
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#7 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Villa La Estancia
#8 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa
Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences

Been to Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar? Share your experiences!