“It was as beautiful and peaceful as we could've imagined.”

Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed September 18, 2007

My girlfriend and headed to the Pacifica for a 5 day getaway and it was about as beautiful and peaceful as you could imagine. We checked in and were sent to the “welcome desk” to get our free drink tickets validated. I am 28 and my girlfriend is 24, having read other’s reviews, I told them I was 27 and they didn’t pressure us once I told them I wasn’t interested. They told us to let them know if we changed our mind and wanted to tour (timeshare) the Sunset. The bellhop took us to our room and explained more about the hotel, etc. Our room was very beautiful and the size was fine. We wanted to use the fridge so I call housekeeping and asked them to come and remove the contents which they did in less than 10 mins.

We headed down to the pool restaurant to get some lunch. Based on everyone’s recommendations, we ordered the tempura shrimp tacos and then I thought I’d try the crispy beef tacos. The shrimp tacos were good, but the crispy tacos came in Taco Bell type shells, but I was able to remedy the situation by asking for some flour tortillas which were fresh and very good. Later during the week, we honed in on the shrimp cocktail and beef nachos as our favorite poolside snacks. Though once, after spying another guest enjoying one, we ordered a burger which definitely hit the spot.

The first night we decided to try Siempre for dinner. Service was good, and fairly quick. They’ve been trained well and try to mimic any fine dining establishment. The shrimp appetizer (cooked) was phenomenal. The 3 large shrimp tasted exactly like lobster. We also split the beet salad which was very good. My girlfriend wasn’t very hungry so she ordered the black been soup, at $16 it was overpriced, thought she enjoyed it. I ordered the sea bass and was very please I listened to our waiter and chose it over a steak. I don’t think this is the place for a great steak; seafood is probably your better bet. Overall, we found it good, pricing was comparable to any fancy restaurant in LA, and the only a few things seemed overpriced. The rest of the week we chose to either dine in town, or have late lunches and get dessert in the bar. And on our last night we ordered room service, cheese quesadilla and Arrachera (skirt) steak hit the spot.

Our first morning we ate breakfast at Siempre, but for the rest of the week, we decided to order the same food via room-service and dined on our balcony enjoying the beautiful view overlooking the pool and beach. The Huevos Rancheros was ordered by one (or both) of us daily, the fruit platter was a daily staple and we also enjoyed the Machacca Burrito, Waffles and the Banana Bread French toast is probably better to share as it’s pretty rich.

To get into town, we took the shuttle (every 30 mins, 15 and 45) to Sunset and bus (every hour on the hour) from Sunset to Rose. From there it was a $3-5 taxi ride or 10-15 min walk to anywhere in town. And took taxis back to the hotel for $12. Mi Casa is very good; La Paridilla’s Arrachera is as good as I’d remembered it, though ankle biting mosquitoes enjoyed us as we ate.

All in all staff was great, no time share hassle. We received just as many calls to the room as a Four Season’s, etc. Welcome call making sure the room was okay, and call the night before check-out to confirm when we wanted our bags picked up. The grounds were beautiful and perfectly manicured. The pool was busy, but chairs were always available and no one was loud. The fire pits were a great place to sit and relax at night, the gym was good enough and the spa was very nice. We would definitely go back and I hope to soon.

4  Thank rsasupra
Write a ReviewReviews (3,984)

Reviewed September 18, 2007

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon. Yes, the airport is miserable, yes the timeshare hustlers are in full effect, but hey- it's Cabo - what do you expect? The resort is very nice, peaceful and minimal. My husband and I were expecting a full-on timeshare shpeel when we checked in, but we were pleasantly surprised. The woman gave us our welcome packet, and asked if we would like to go to a "breakfast" at the other resort, and in exchange, we would get a $200 credit towards our bill at the end of the trip. We told her that she couldn't pay us $200,000 to get us to participate in a timeshare sales pitch. She welcomed us and had the bellboy take us to our room! No hard sell.

Once we got to our room the only issue that I had was that we reserved and paid for a "Deluxe Ocean View Room". When they took us to our room I looked out the window and couldn't see the ocean. I said to the bellboy, "Where's the ocean view that I paid for?" He got nervous and called the front desk and handed me the phone. It was very frustrating to discover that we WERE in an "Ocean View" room. It turns out that just because "Ocean View" is in the name, that doesn't necessarily mean that you will be able to see the ocean from you room. I went to the front desk the next morning and asked very politely to be moved to a room where I could see the ocean, and they were happy to move us since people were checking out of better rooms that day.

Other than that, it was a very nice, relaxing experience. We took the shuttle to the other Pueblo Bonito resort to check it out, and we immediately wanted to go back to the Pacifica! Screaming kids, tons of people, gift shops, etc. The hour we were there was torture! I even saw a couple leaving one of the restaruants get harassed by their waitress about buying a timeshare! She practically followed them into the elevator!

The Pacifica took good care of us as we endured hurricane Henriette- they lead us to the restaurant through their underground passageway, and brought us boxed lunches. They also called our rooms with updates throughout the day.

Overall I would recommend it as a nice relaxing place to get away!

1  Thank theflan1
Reviewed September 16, 2007

Great resort. My boyfriend and I are in our late 20s stayed in Pacifica for a week in Sep. This resort is definitely the best one we ever stayed in. As many of the reviews said the ground are spectacular and very nicely kept. Staff is incredibly friendly. Service is great.
Timeshare: We got our package through resort opportunities and had to listen to the timeshare presentation. The presentation was not bad at all. We actually enjoyed it. It was a great tour of the sister property Sunset Beach which is absolutely gorgeous. We weren’t pressured at all and it only took 90 min. We said we weren’t interested in purchasing one and that was it. Plus we got food and spa credits.
Sister Resorts: When staying at Pacifica you can use all its sister resorts which we thought was great because all of Pueblo Bonito properties are very different and you get to have variety. Pacifica is located on a non swim-able beach however two of its sister properties are located on the beach where swimming is permitted. So it was a nice option. They are located a short shuttle ride away. (Shuttles are free and run every hour). Sunset Beach has an infinity pool that is absolutely amaizing.
Definitely recommend it!
Although we though Pacifica was by far the best of all Pueblo Bonito resorts.
Tip: Take some coffee and tea bags with you. They have a coffee maker but it costs $3 for each. We found the cheapest bottled water was in the deli. The best and most reliable restaurant was The Bistro at the Sunset Beach. Great steak.
Overall we had the best time in Cabo. We loved it!!!

5  Thank lk009
Reviewed September 14, 2007

The upshot is: Pacifica is a beautiful resort. The grounds are manicured and zen-like. The rooms are great, the beds comfortable, and the amenities good. The employees seem friendly, outgoing, and helpful. There are no screaming kids. There are no kids, period! The food is delicious and resort-priced. The location and setting are superb. There are activities available and nice touches such as couches around a fire-pit, lit at night. Also, it appears that internet access is free. Would we come back? Yes, absolutely. Next time I’d bring water, a travel kettle and coffee/tea bags. The “good” has been covered well here at TA – so I’ll outline what I consider the “bad and the ugly” below – which amount to petty annoyances. Skip if you don’t want to hear negativity! I wish I’d been properly prepared for everything so thought I’d add my review.

We were so excited to be able to stay at the highly-rated Pueblo Bonita Pacifica for four days while we wait to get in to our timeshare-trade at Hacienda del Mar (which, from my reading here at TA, may warrant a review of its own!). But I must say, as gorgeous as the Pacifica is, it really is best summed up by the words of another reviewer who wrote that the Pacifica seems to be a vehicle to sell timeshare at the sister resort, Pueblo Bonita Sunset – also, by the way, a beautiful property.

We arrived for our third visit to the Cabo area, after a long and arduous series of flights from Canada. We hadn’t slept the previous night, were on the road by 4 a.m., one of our planes was delayed so the connection was a worry, and our luggage didn’t arrive with us (though American Airlines handled that very well). So when we finally reached Cabo we were frazzled and just looking forward to arriving at the hotel.

Anyway, things seem to have changed at the Cabo airport and in order to get to the taxis after leaving the baggage area we were forced to go through a sort of anteroom where we felt like balls in an arcade game, pinging off timeshare people who harangued us and misled us at every turn. They literally took us by the arm and dragged us hither and yon trying to get us to sign up for timeshare tours. We declined repeatedly and politely but these guys would not take “no” for an answer. A few more aggressive encounters and we finally reached the taxi stand that we were aiming for. Paid $18 USD each for our tickets and we were on our way.

(Another airport note: we were all told that we have to arrive three hours before our departure flight. I’m glad I booked a later flight home. The more skeptical in the group immediately said, so they can try and sell us more stuff…)

We arrived and the Pacifica looked fantastic! We were so tired at that point and were so looking forward to a swim or shower, some food, and a rest. We checked in at the front desk, no problem – the front desk fellow said, I’ll give you your keys in a minute, just go over to that desk across the lobby for your Welcome Package.

So we did. We sat down at the desk to receive our Welcome Package and instead were subjected to another timeshare spiel! We said politely, thank you but we are not interested, but the sales agent went on and on, each time we declined she pulled out more coupons and deepened the discounts she was offering. We were frankly quite annoyed by this point and it was an effort to extricate ourselves politely. I even resorted to pleading for our room key! That’s pretty sad!

Then she moved on to the final pitch: I work on commission and I need you to sign for this tour. We declined politely and said please, all we want is to go to our room. Then she said, why not just use the company’s gifts – it’s a win-win that way – you get a massage and I get my commission. It is apparent that they are all taking lessons from the same master! We heard the same lines all day.

We finally get to the room but of course sans luggage, so we went to explore the beautiful grounds and down to the pool area restaurant for lunch. Food was good, maybe a bit pricey, but it is a resort after all – however, the water was outrageously expensive. The server brought me a bottle that turned out to be c. $14 USD!! The cheapest you can buy at the resort restaurants is $9 USD for 1 liter.

So our first few hours were bad and really put a bad taste in our mouths – made us feel that regardless of which way we turned, we were going to be sold or ripped off.

Closer examination of our room (and don’t misunderstand me, the property is fantastic) showed some more signs of this type of pettiness.

Example one: The sign on the bar fridge that says, it’s not food-grade cool, and you will be charged if you move any of the items to make room for your own. One of the couples took out some cans and set them aside unopened, and they were indeed charged for those items. How difficult would it be for them to set the fridges to a lower temperature?

Example two: the water and drinks have stickers on them, so it’s not as though you can use their water and buy replacements in town. However, this is Mexico, so that may not be a bad thing.

Example three: most ironic and laugh-out-loud funny is a page in their Guest Services book saying: “Your attention please to this important message!” … “Unfortunately in any rapid growth area, the risk of over commercialization is a threat to the serenity that is part of the attraction to our beautiful capes. We feel that the aggressiveness and abundance of beach vendors are a threat to this ambiance, and are often known to not take a polite “no” for an answer….Please support us trying to discourage their practice by refusing to purchase any items from vendors on the beach.” Too bad this doesn’t extend to timeshare sales people.

Example four: there are other notices around saying that bringing food and water on to the property is prohibited.

And finally, I got turista – but my constitution’s not that strong and I find it difficult to blame the resort for that! Front desk assured me that it nearly “never” happens here…

All in all, a beautiful place, but it felt as though we were part of a timeshare shell game.

8  Thank tofinogal
Reviewed September 12, 2007

Overall - the most peaceful vacation I have ever been on.

First the bad: No surprises after reading trip advisor. Prices: They do nickel and dime you, they do charge for coffee and soft drink refills. However, after reading previous posts, we were armed with a suitcase full of snacks and our own coffee. Also, you cannot swim in the ocean.

On arriving to the hotel, we were "invited" to a timeshare breakfast. Although, we usually say no, after hearing about the prices, $200 in free food was pretty good. Plus $50 off the the spa and discounted activities. It was actually 2 hours, but the salesman was fun and we made no bones that we weren't interested. The presentation is at the sister resort the Sunset 5 minutes away, it was actually good in that it gave us a tour of the sunset and we returned several times as we liked its resturaunts. They are much cheaper than the pacifica, with food just as good.

The room was very nice. All the rooms are ocean view, there is no smoking in the hotel and there are no kids. This is by far the most relaxing vacation we have ever been on.

We did go on an excusion on the Pez Gato, a catamaran where we went sailing, it was only $24 each after the presentation with snorkling, free food and drink and lots of fun. The crew were great and made sure everyone had fun.

Overall we were quit impressed and will definately go back. If you have kids consider the Sunset as it is very nice, but there are kids there so be warned.

5  Thank drgeach
Reviewed September 8, 2007

We had a wonderful time and didn't want to leave! The staff was extremely friendly and for the most part spoke superb English. We are thinking of returning in December. Pacifica has one restaurant, deli and poolside cafe. I can't forget the wine bar ...we didn't get an opportunity to check it out. We were able to dine at other Pueblo Bonita properties, i.e., Sunset, Blanco and Rose. The food was outstanding! We encountered an extremely rude timeshare salesman... that aside our stay was great. There are free shuttles to the other Pueblo properties, however, be sure to reserve the ride with the concierge. Downtown activities are a short walk from the PB Rose property. The couples massage was out of this world, it should only be accompanied with the VIP package which includes sparkling wine and fruit and an additional hour of solitude to enjoy the hot tub. - WOW! Every room has an ocean view. Because of severe undertow, swimming in the ocean isn't permitted.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mz_coko
Reviewed September 7, 2007

The Pacifica provided the most romantic, incredible vacation I've ever had in my life - I was so sad to leave!!! It's impossible not to feel relaxed at this place, the entire resort creates a peaceful ambiance that lends itself perfectly to a calming, romantic getaway. I think my boyfriend and I were the youngest ones there (we're both in our early 20s), but I really feel like this place is perfect for people of any age that are looking to relax poolside with a few pina coladas rather than pound shots among a ton of crazy drunkards. We mozied into town twice to have some drinks and do a little shopping, but after a bit we'd find ourselves wanting to head back to our little paradise resort. Such an amazing "home" to come back to. And the fact that we were EXCITED that Hurricane Henrietta did us a nice little favor by forcing us to stay for 2 more days definitely says something about the place, dontcha think? :)

P.S. Yes, the tempura shrimp tacos at the pool bar ARE as good as everyone says. We ate them EVERY day for lunch!! I am now on a mission to learn how to make them at home.

4  Thank 2sunshine2