“Paradise”

Ranked #18 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
philadelphia
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2007

Great resort. My boyfriend and I are in our late 20s stayed in Pacifica for a week in Sep. This resort is definitely the best one we ever stayed in. As many of the reviews said the ground are spectacular and very nicely kept. Staff is incredibly friendly. Service is great.
Timeshare: We got our package through resort opportunities and had to listen to the timeshare presentation. The presentation was not bad at all. We actually enjoyed it. It was a great tour of the sister property Sunset Beach which is absolutely gorgeous. We weren’t pressured at all and it only took 90 min. We said we weren’t interested in purchasing one and that was it. Plus we got food and spa credits.
Sister Resorts: When staying at Pacifica you can use all its sister resorts which we thought was great because all of Pueblo Bonito properties are very different and you get to have variety. Pacifica is located on a non swim-able beach however two of its sister properties are located on the beach where swimming is permitted. So it was a nice option. They are located a short shuttle ride away. (Shuttles are free and run every hour). Sunset Beach has an infinity pool that is absolutely amaizing.
Definitely recommend it!
Although we though Pacifica was by far the best of all Pueblo Bonito resorts.
Tip: Take some coffee and tea bags with you. They have a coffee maker but it costs $3 for each. We found the cheapest bottled water was in the deli. The best and most reliable restaurant was The Bistro at the Sunset Beach. Great steak.
Overall we had the best time in Cabo. We loved it!!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
5 Thank lk009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2007

The upshot is: Pacifica is a beautiful resort. The grounds are manicured and zen-like. The rooms are great, the beds comfortable, and the amenities good. The employees seem friendly, outgoing, and helpful. There are no screaming kids. There are no kids, period! The food is delicious and resort-priced. The location and setting are superb. There are activities available and nice touches such as couches around a fire-pit, lit at night. Also, it appears that internet access is free. Would we come back? Yes, absolutely. Next time I’d bring water, a travel kettle and coffee/tea bags. The “good” has been covered well here at TA – so I’ll outline what I consider the “bad and the ugly” below – which amount to petty annoyances. Skip if you don’t want to hear negativity! I wish I’d been properly prepared for everything so thought I’d add my review.

We were so excited to be able to stay at the highly-rated Pueblo Bonita Pacifica for four days while we wait to get in to our timeshare-trade at Hacienda del Mar (which, from my reading here at TA, may warrant a review of its own!). But I must say, as gorgeous as the Pacifica is, it really is best summed up by the words of another reviewer who wrote that the Pacifica seems to be a vehicle to sell timeshare at the sister resort, Pueblo Bonita Sunset – also, by the way, a beautiful property.

We arrived for our third visit to the Cabo area, after a long and arduous series of flights from Canada. We hadn’t slept the previous night, were on the road by 4 a.m., one of our planes was delayed so the connection was a worry, and our luggage didn’t arrive with us (though American Airlines handled that very well). So when we finally reached Cabo we were frazzled and just looking forward to arriving at the hotel.

Anyway, things seem to have changed at the Cabo airport and in order to get to the taxis after leaving the baggage area we were forced to go through a sort of anteroom where we felt like balls in an arcade game, pinging off timeshare people who harangued us and misled us at every turn. They literally took us by the arm and dragged us hither and yon trying to get us to sign up for timeshare tours. We declined repeatedly and politely but these guys would not take “no” for an answer. A few more aggressive encounters and we finally reached the taxi stand that we were aiming for. Paid $18 USD each for our tickets and we were on our way.

(Another airport note: we were all told that we have to arrive three hours before our departure flight. I’m glad I booked a later flight home. The more skeptical in the group immediately said, so they can try and sell us more stuff…)

We arrived and the Pacifica looked fantastic! We were so tired at that point and were so looking forward to a swim or shower, some food, and a rest. We checked in at the front desk, no problem – the front desk fellow said, I’ll give you your keys in a minute, just go over to that desk across the lobby for your Welcome Package.

So we did. We sat down at the desk to receive our Welcome Package and instead were subjected to another timeshare spiel! We said politely, thank you but we are not interested, but the sales agent went on and on, each time we declined she pulled out more coupons and deepened the discounts she was offering. We were frankly quite annoyed by this point and it was an effort to extricate ourselves politely. I even resorted to pleading for our room key! That’s pretty sad!

Then she moved on to the final pitch: I work on commission and I need you to sign for this tour. We declined politely and said please, all we want is to go to our room. Then she said, why not just use the company’s gifts – it’s a win-win that way – you get a massage and I get my commission. It is apparent that they are all taking lessons from the same master! We heard the same lines all day.

We finally get to the room but of course sans luggage, so we went to explore the beautiful grounds and down to the pool area restaurant for lunch. Food was good, maybe a bit pricey, but it is a resort after all – however, the water was outrageously expensive. The server brought me a bottle that turned out to be c. $14 USD!! The cheapest you can buy at the resort restaurants is $9 USD for 1 liter.

So our first few hours were bad and really put a bad taste in our mouths – made us feel that regardless of which way we turned, we were going to be sold or ripped off.

Closer examination of our room (and don’t misunderstand me, the property is fantastic) showed some more signs of this type of pettiness.

Example one: The sign on the bar fridge that says, it’s not food-grade cool, and you will be charged if you move any of the items to make room for your own. One of the couples took out some cans and set them aside unopened, and they were indeed charged for those items. How difficult would it be for them to set the fridges to a lower temperature?

Example two: the water and drinks have stickers on them, so it’s not as though you can use their water and buy replacements in town. However, this is Mexico, so that may not be a bad thing.

Example three: most ironic and laugh-out-loud funny is a page in their Guest Services book saying: “Your attention please to this important message!” … “Unfortunately in any rapid growth area, the risk of over commercialization is a threat to the serenity that is part of the attraction to our beautiful capes. We feel that the aggressiveness and abundance of beach vendors are a threat to this ambiance, and are often known to not take a polite “no” for an answer….Please support us trying to discourage their practice by refusing to purchase any items from vendors on the beach.” Too bad this doesn’t extend to timeshare sales people.

Example four: there are other notices around saying that bringing food and water on to the property is prohibited.

And finally, I got turista – but my constitution’s not that strong and I find it difficult to blame the resort for that! Front desk assured me that it nearly “never” happens here…

All in all, a beautiful place, but it felt as though we were part of a timeshare shell game.

• Liked — Clean, uncluttered, balcony, view.
  • Disliked — Costs of food and services; management's approach to timeshare sales, food and water.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank tofinogal
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2007

Overall - the most peaceful vacation I have ever been on.

First the bad: No surprises after reading trip advisor. Prices: They do nickel and dime you, they do charge for coffee and soft drink refills. However, after reading previous posts, we were armed with a suitcase full of snacks and our own coffee. Also, you cannot swim in the ocean.

On arriving to the hotel, we were "invited" to a timeshare breakfast. Although, we usually say no, after hearing about the prices, $200 in free food was pretty good. Plus $50 off the the spa and discounted activities. It was actually 2 hours, but the salesman was fun and we made no bones that we weren't interested. The presentation is at the sister resort the Sunset 5 minutes away, it was actually good in that it gave us a tour of the sunset and we returned several times as we liked its resturaunts. They are much cheaper than the pacifica, with food just as good.

The room was very nice. All the rooms are ocean view, there is no smoking in the hotel and there are no kids. This is by far the most relaxing vacation we have ever been on.

We did go on an excusion on the Pez Gato, a catamaran where we went sailing, it was only $24 each after the presentation with snorkling, free food and drink and lots of fun. The crew were great and made sure everyone had fun.

Overall we were quit impressed and will definately go back. If you have kids consider the Sunset as it is very nice, but there are kids there so be warned.

• Liked — Sereity / Complete relaxation
  • Disliked — Food prices, nickel and dime you
5 Thank drgeach
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2007

We had a wonderful time and didn't want to leave! The staff was extremely friendly and for the most part spoke superb English. We are thinking of returning in December. Pacifica has one restaurant, deli and poolside cafe. I can't forget the wine bar ...we didn't get an opportunity to check it out. We were able to dine at other Pueblo Bonita properties, i.e., Sunset, Blanco and Rose. The food was outstanding! We encountered an extremely rude timeshare salesman... that aside our stay was great. There are free shuttles to the other Pueblo properties, however, be sure to reserve the ride with the concierge. Downtown activities are a short walk from the PB Rose property. The couples massage was out of this world, it should only be accompanied with the VIP package which includes sparkling wine and fruit and an additional hour of solitude to enjoy the hot tub. - WOW! Every room has an ocean view. Because of severe undertow, swimming in the ocean isn't permitted.

• Liked — The staff and room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mz_coko
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2007

The Pacifica provided the most romantic, incredible vacation I've ever had in my life - I was so sad to leave!!! It's impossible not to feel relaxed at this place, the entire resort creates a peaceful ambiance that lends itself perfectly to a calming, romantic getaway. I think my boyfriend and I were the youngest ones there (we're both in our early 20s), but I really feel like this place is perfect for people of any age that are looking to relax poolside with a few pina coladas rather than pound shots among a ton of crazy drunkards. We mozied into town twice to have some drinks and do a little shopping, but after a bit we'd find ourselves wanting to head back to our little paradise resort. Such an amazing "home" to come back to. And the fact that we were EXCITED that Hurricane Henrietta did us a nice little favor by forcing us to stay for 2 more days definitely says something about the place, dontcha think? :)

P.S. Yes, the tempura shrimp tacos at the pool bar ARE as good as everyone says. We ate them EVERY day for lunch!! I am now on a mission to learn how to make them at home.

• Liked — Pools, Room Decor, Overall Ambiance
4 Thank 2sunshine2
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

We arrived on Friday, Aug. 31st around 2pm. Check in wasn't until 4pm so we went to the hotel restaurant Siempre for lunch. As others have mentioned, service was slow. The prices at the restaurant and pool bar were not that bad considering this was a resort. But I would have liked to have seen more of a difference between the pool bar's menu and the restaurant's menu. Come 4pm our room still wasn't ready, but we asked to go anyway because time was being wasted.
The room was nice but wasn't completely finished. The restroom floors were still wet. We were on the 4th floor and had a great balcony/view.
We enjoyed the couples beach massage by Teresa and Aracely until the salsa dance lessons started up right next to us! Thankfully, the massage was almost over.
Pina Colada's were weak, but the margaritas were stiff! The Shutttle to the Sunset ran at :15 and :45 of every hour and were easy to catch.
Also, we booked our roundtrip shuttle via their website. They use Cape Travel and were nice and friendly. Beware of the timeshare sharks that are awaiting you behind door #1 after you get your luggage. Your shuttle people will be waiting for you outside. Don't let anyone tell you different. One guy kept telling me if I didn't go with him, I was going to go the wrong way and not be allowed back into the building.
Also, the Pacifica will try to push the timeshare on you. After you check in you are asked to have the hostess stamp your free drink ticket. Since I have been an avid reader of these posts, I knew what was coming next and politely and swiftly declined.
Overall the resort was nice. It didn't make me say "wow!" But I would stay here again just for the fact that there are no little ones doing cannon balls in the pool and no obnoxious drunks sitting by the pool. There were mostly young couples lounging at the pool, probably on their honeymoon.

• Liked — No young children
  • Disliked — food
3 Thank TxtoFrance
Little Rock, Arkansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2007

We booked a last-minute trip to Cabo over Memorial Day weekend and stayed at the Pacifica. Honestly, I really do not understand where all the glowing reviews are coming from. The Pacifica scores high for being beautiful...but, for the money, it was not nearly worth the money or our time.

First a caveat, our stay was during a holiday weekend, so the resort was busier than normal. And, it seemed to be filled with people who could not find a room elsewhere, so it was much louder and less peaceful than we expected. The pool was packed, the chairs were "reserved" by mid-morning, and guests were loud. The hotel staff seemed to be encouraging this - one staff member circled the pool about five times one afternoon rousing guests from their poolside naps and recruiting for pool volleyball. On our first afternoon, we were walking the grounds and saw a young couple in the Watsu pool doing a little more than making out - a little bit too much to see at 3pm. My caveat therefore is that it seems like the holiday weekend guests were looking for a party rather than peace - keep this in mind when booking during busy times.

The real issues we had with the resort, however, were with the hotel itself. The term "holistic retreat" seems much more a marketing strategy than a description - this is really a pretty resort with a disorganized spa, so do not expect a spa-like vacation. After declining the timeshare presentation, we were woken up very early one morning with a phone call from the representative trying to persuade us to change our minds. Healthy food choices were very limited compared to other "bar food" choices. My husband's smoothie was made with the strawberry topping they put on ice cream, not fresh fruit (or so they told us when we asked why it tasted so sweet). The spa had to cancel our Temezcal treatment twice because the therapist "did not come to work" (they never were able to reschedule it) and my husband's face was dipped underwater several times during his Watsu massage - not very relaxing. And the Pacifica bills itself as having a high-end spa, and accompanies it with high end spa prices!

The staff also seemed inexperienced and customer service was lacking- we did not receive the room we booked and were told by several front desk employees that the hotel was full. After speaking to a manager, and 30 minutes later, we were moved to an available room that matched our reservation. The concierge (who handles the airport shuttle) literally raised her voice because they lost our airport shuttle reservation on the way home. She came by our room afterward to apologize (once the company confirmed the reservation), but that was extremely unprofessional. And, as I explained above, the spa staff were inexperienced (not knowing the answers to basic questions) and disorganized. The exception was our yoga instructor - who was knowledgeable and amazing (despite the fact that the spa staff overbooked the class and ran out of yoga mats for all of the class attendees).

The pool restaurant was pretty good, but we walked out of the main restaurant after seeing the prices, and hearing from other guests that the food was only adequate.

I do think the prices were too expensive for what you got - the Pacifica charged for everything, you felt like you were being nickle and dimed, especially given that the service did not match the prices. We got a pretty good deal on our rooms, but I don't think it was a value in the end.

As I said in the beginning, the Pacifica was beautiful - the lounges around the fire pots are a lovely place to relax in the evenings with a glass of wine. But I think there are many more beautiful places in Mexico for the money that meet basic service standards.

We will not be returning.

• Liked — Beautiful resort
  • Disliked — everything else...
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple