“Very relaxing!”

Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #20 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed June 16, 2007

My husband and I spent a week at the Pacifica for our 30th anniversary. We took advantage of the $299 for 7nights Resort Opportunities deal. It was a week of total relaxation!

PROS: friendly staff, very good poolside food and service, roar of the ocean so close by, room with a beautiful view (we had asked for a higher floor but none were available - we ended up in a corner room on the first floor - just gorgeous!), wonderfully maintained grounds, nice spa treatments - loved the beach hut couples massage, fire pits at night - great place for lounging

CONS: housekeeping staff was not very thorough, food at Siempre restaurant was bland and expensive, the beach - though wide - did not stretch out long enough for long beach walks, ocean is non-swimmable, timeshare presentation was much longer than 90 minutes even though we did not buy (but for the $299 price we paid for a week at the hotel it was worth it)

The distance to town did not bother us - we liked the feeling of being away from the city. However, the taxis were expensive ($10 to the marina, $20 to Sunset da Mona Lisa) to go in town for dinner.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Surgie

Reviewed June 13, 2007

The hotel was nice, the food was decent, but too expensive for the quality. Hated the thought of a timeshare sales pitch on my long awaited vacation, but my husband and I went anyway. We actually met with a very nice sales woman originally from Texas. We also received quite a few vouchers. So many that we were not able to use them all.

Not sure if the staff didn't speak English very well and hated us for not attempting Spanish, but often times felt as if they were a bit snooty. That was surprising. We've been to the Royal Hideaway in Playa Del Carmen where the people were ultra friendly.

Cab rides were ridiculously expensive. We live in a huge city and don't pay those types of fares. And, the price kept changing to go the same distance into town.

If you go into town to eat and love Lobster, you should go to the Mazetlan. Excellent and authentic. No English speakers there, but very friendly. Wicked quick buzz enducing Margarita's too.

Nice resort, but the music was a little too Zen. I know, it's the point, but...

Spa services leave something to be desired. Very well versed in spa services and for the price, they should have been much much better. Would give them a 5 on a scale of 10.

Also, you may want to ask how much construction is going on around the resort before you book. The jack hammer got in the way of some quality R&R as did the constant lawn mowing.

All and all a decent place, but they have some kinks to work out.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank elle3395
Reviewed June 10, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here and absolutely loved it! Yes, there is a timeshare pitch but you don't need to participate if you don't want to. We had the dinner on the beach and I highly recommend it if you are in the mood for total romance. It is pricey but it is really a once in a lifetime type experience. As for the restaurant/food options at the hotel. The bakery cafe was great. I highly recommend the Tres Leches cake. The pool bar/restaurant area was awesome and we loved everything we ordered there. However, the main sit down restaurant is not really worth the money. (I think it was called the Siempre).It is beautifully designed but the food is lacking. Overall, I would love to go back to this hotel and have recommended it to many others.

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank llf7575
Reviewed June 9, 2007

This company is a sham. They do not honor their reservations. You book with one of their properties and they lodge you at which ever one suits there needs. I wanted a relaxing getaway at an adults-only stand-alone spa facility and was shuttled to a villa "time-share" resort with kids and families. An awful experience. They take such advantage of American tourists, especially women. Some Mexican hospitality. Not worth it!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank SoloManhattanite
Reviewed June 6, 2007

We had a guaranteed and confirmed reservation. Because our flight to Cabo was delayed, we arrived at the hotel on April 13 at 12:20 am. When we arrived, the night manager told us that due to a reservation systems error they were overbooked. He said we would have to go stay at Pueblo Bonito Blanco in downtown Cabo San Lucas for at least tonight and possibly longer.

After arguing for two hours, we finally agreed to this and found ourselves in an old, musty smoking room with two double beds! Another couple from our flight was also checking in at the same time, and was being given a similar story. The night manager kept saying that he could not guarantee us a room at Pacifica starting on April 13 since the manager that could make that decision came on duty at 9 am and so we were told to contact her. Recall, please, that we had a guaranteed and confirmed confirmation for five nights, which the property was not fulfilling. We said to the night manager that certainly at least one Pacifica guestroom would be vacated by departing guests and then that room could be ours. However, he kept insisting that he had no idea if anyone would be departing and even if they would be, he couldn't guarantee us that we would be able to check in. We are left with the impression that the words "guaranteed" and "confirmed" have different meanings within the Pueblo Bonito organization than elsewhere in the hospitality industry.

After 5 hours of sleep, we arrived back at Pacifica at 9:15 am on April 13 in order to speak the day manager. She was nowhere to be found so we were told that she would meet with us in the restaurant. We had a complimentary breakfast and waited for her to meet us in the restaurant. At 11 am I asked a waiter to find her and then a phone was given to me and she was on the phone. She explained that we were going to get a room but it was being cleaned and we should come to the front desk later to check in. We finally got to our room (#1334) at 2 pm and we were pleased to see that it was clean and had a king-size bed and was not dumpy, old and musty like the Blanco room.

They told us that there was a water leak and that was why so many guests were not given their rooms. They assured us that the rest of our stay would be superb and that we would get an invitation to the Pacifica's 2nd anniversary celebration on Monday, April 16. After our meeting we talked to four other guests and it should be noted that none of us ever saw any workers dealing with water leaks and we were all told different stories at check-in when our rooms weren't available. So, we don't really think there was a water leak. We think that you overbooked on purpose and just tried to get the guests to stay at a sub par resort that allowed children.

On Saturday, April 14, we decided to eat breakfast in the restaurant. We received exceptionally poor service. I had to refill my water glass from the bathroom, while my husband had to wait 10 minutes, three different times, for coffee refills. We only left a 10% tip and wrote on the charge slip why the tip was so poor. We also told the waiter on three different occasions to just leave the pitcher of water and carafe of coffee if he couldn't provide refills in a timely manner, but he kept saying "No". On the way out we also told the hostess about our sub par refill service.

That night for dinner we decided to eat at the outdoor pool restaurant since we had already eaten breakfast at the other restaurant option. I requested ice water and a yellow lemon for my drink and the waitress said she didn't have any yellow lemons and only had limes. I told her that the inside restaurant did (i.e. the one that served us breakfast) and that it was jut over there, about 50 yards away and she continued to say that she didn't have any lemons. So, I said that I would get it myself and she was okay with this! I also asked her if one of the seven propane heaters that were standing near a wall could be brought over to our table since it was getting cool and she said that they were out of gas. I then requested some pool towels for warmth and she provided these. I was wearing the warmest clothing I brought (pants and a jacket) but I guess I should have brought my winter coat, too! I went next door to the inside restaurant and the hostess and waiters were appalled that the pool kitchen didn't have yellow lemons and also didn't have propane in the outdoor heaters. After these two unpleasant Saturday dining experiences, we decided to ask to speak to the restaurant manager. We went to the front desk at 7 pm with this request and were told that manager would call our room that night. He didn't.

On Monday, April 16 I decided to take advantage of the book exchange at the Activities Center but found it closed. The 2007 Activities schedule that was in our room said that it was closed on Thursdays. After 10 minutes I was able to find out that the 2007 schedule in our room was old and housekeeping hadn't bothered to replace it. The manager in charge of the Activities Center opened it for me and I was able to exchange my books, but the entire process took 45 minutes. By now, we had almost become used to the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica staff's consistent inability to do what they told us they would do. Their ability to seemingly lie to our faces had exhausted our sense of outrage and by the end of our stay caused us only weary amusement.

On two occasions after housekeeping cleaned our room, we had to call for an extra washcloth since only one had been left in the room. Our reservation clearly had two people in our room so I don't know why housekeeping insisted on only leaving one washcloth. I also noticed that the rooms on either side of ours had Pueblo Bonito slippers in them but our room did not. Housekeeping obviously needs a checklist of things to do for each room in order to make sure that the correct Activities Schedule and number of washcloths are in each room and any other miscellaneous items are put in the room, too.

We were also disappointed to find no drain plug or basin stopper for the bathroom sink. I needed to hand wash some clothing and when the sink doesn't hold water that makes it difficult. We made two calls requesting a stopper/sink plug, but were ultimately told that they didn't exist at Pacifica. However, a bucket was provided for our hand washing needs!

We travel regularly and frequent many five-star hotels and resorts, and have seldom encountered any problems at all at other properties, let alone the long list of service failures we encountered at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica.

Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank LadyVol-VB
Reviewed June 6, 2007

My fiance and I booked this hotel because of the good ratings and feedback on tripadvisor. I had heard about the 2 hour timeshare pitch, so went in prepared. After a VERY long flight from Boston we were tired and grumpy, but were still hustled to the time share reps in the lobby. We listened, felt like it was a good idea, and tentatively signed up for the next day at 9:00 AM. We told them we may not go, and if not that was our answer. Little did we realize that meant a 8:00 wake up call the next day to make sure we were attending!

We decided to go though, thought it would be worth the vouchers and food credit. It was OK in the beginning but turned high pressure in the end when they felt the need to call in a "manager"...despite the fact that I was very clear we weren't interested! In between calling the manager, and when we decided we were done, they let us walk out and didn't follow up with us on the vouchers or details on how to redeem them.

When we got back to the hotel I approached the timeshare rep in the lobby to follow up and was told they they should have been given to me at the end of the presentation! At this point I was beginning to feel like this was some form of bad business practice and they withheld them because we chose not to purchase a timeshare. I said as much (very calmly) and she was VERY rude to me. She was not helpful and told me I could go back up to the hotel myself to get them the next day (and we could not do any of the activities until we got them). I went to my room and tried to call a manager. They connected me to the same rude rep in the lobby! I hung up and firmly explained who I wanted to speak to, and was finally connected to a manager. At this point I was very exasperated, and told them that I was not feeling like a valued customer and was very unhappy with the service. I wanted the vouchers brought to me, and I wanted something in writing stating I would get my 20.00 back for "attending" the presentation. The rep in the lobby had told me I would not be getting this back, which contradicted what the rep had told me the day before! The one helpful person was the manager!

My fiance also had the cell phone number of the "manager" who had told us to call him if we changed out mind. He called him to tell him we did not have our vouchers- and he was very apologetic. In fact said we would get another 100.00 in food vouchers (which never materialized though). They said that if sales reps got 2 complaints against them they were fired, and this was the first complaint he and the other rep had ever had.

I am hopeful our experience with this was isolated, but I felt pressured, and it was a terrible way to start off our vacation- since they make you do this the first day. We kept saying that we wanted to enjoy the hotel before we committed to a timeshare!

OK, so other than that, the staff and grounds were beautiful. I didn't really mind that I couldn't swim on the beach. If you want to do that you can go to the sister hotel in town. It can be overwhelming though because you are constantly approached by vendors. There are no vendors at the Pacifica.

The wind was suprising- it gets very cool at night, and it very windy during the day. We almost had our food blow away, and they wouldn't let us open umbrellas for a few days. It wasn't terrible though, because it kept you cool under the hot sun.

We went in town and found a gem of a rest., Mexico Mystique. It was outdoor, with fires, and delightful. We liked the place so much we went twice! They make Cesar salad tableside, and the surf and turf is to die for. They knew our names after the first night, and made us feel so welcome. The house white wine is local and delicious. I highly recommend this place.

We also dined at the hotel rest., Siempre and at La Frida. Both were very good. Everything is expensive in Cabo, you should expect to pay the same level as you would pay at home. Try the fish or shrimp tacos at the pool! They were to die for! Also, save money and get your breakfast at the cafe by the pool. It is reasonable and very good. Especially the breakfast croissants. We split one of those each morning because they were enormous.

We also went ATVing. It was a total blast- I wish we had done more activities, but we had a bit of a bitter taste in our mouths given the whole time share experience. We also went to the tequila tasting at the hotel wine bar- Mauricio was awesome! It is pricey to do but so much fun. We made friends with him there, and he kept making us the most amazing tequila cocktails the rest of the stay!

All in all, we had a lot of fun and would recommend this place. My final words of wisdom: make sure to get your vouchers before you leave the presentation! And, check your tequila in your bag, even if you buyit from duty free! They will take it away at customs!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
11  Thank LaniR
Reviewed June 5, 2007

My wife and I just returned from the Pacifica resort in Cabo San Lucas where we spent a week of much needed rest, May 27th-June3rd. Most of the postings for this resort are accurate and I will try not to duplicate what others have said. We have traveled many places in Mexico and the Caribbean, and would rate the Pacifica in the top of the rankings for what we like to do and see.

The resort is nicely finished and very well kept, the beach is great with no one there (waves to big to swim in the ocean), and the services were great at the resort. The views from the lower rooms are not so good, so ask for a higher floor if possbile. We went under an invitation only special and only paid $299 for the entire week of lodging. We did have to attend the timeshare promo at the Sunset Resort next door, but it was no big deal. Everything here is expensive at the resorts and in town, so prepare yourself. Depending on what you do, dinners may be $60 and up and most drinks will be around $9 and up. Typical resort pricing in a resort town.

Dining:
We never ate at the Siempre on site due to mixed reviews. We ate at the restaraunt at the Sunset Resort next door(down by the lower pool) 2 times with good food and reasonable prices each time. The Thursday night italian buffet was good. In town we ate at the mall and marina several times. Ruth's Chris was good, Senior Sweets was good, Mi Casa is a must for good local mexican food. We did not like the Ole Ole at the mall and would not go back. We also did not like Desparado's in town and would not go back. Check online and most of the reviews seem to be accurate for dining. The food at the pool bar was very good, and we heard good things about the cafe on site for breakfast and snacks. The fish tacos were very good as stated in earlier postings. We never made it out for much nightlife and did not go to Cabo Wabo, but they are all in the same area along the main drag in town.

Activities:
We did a dinner cruise with Eduardo from the Rissalena boat and it was very good. Laid back boat ride with a great meal out by the arch at Sunset Beach. Good service and pricing for the trip, it was only $50 each for the ride and food. Check him out at www.rissalena.com.
We rented a car for the week and it was a good idea as we were back in town every day for something or another. It was a great hassle to not have to worry about the cabs and taxis, and parking was no problem in town, so I would recommend a car rental. We rented through Dollar and had good success.
We drove to Todo Santos for an afternoon and went to the Hotel California and a few other shops. Not much to do or see there, but kind of a fun drive.

Suggestions:
We went to Costco and also the local grocery called CCC and bought a cooler and some food, snacks, alchohol, and water for the room. We saved a lot of money this way by eating a few breakfast and luches in the room and I would suggest doing the same if you want to save some money.
Tip your service people at the beginning of your stay for better service, and tip them well.
It is windy at the resort at times, so be prepared for that, and we also had 2 nights that were cold and windy after dinner.
The spa treatments were expensive and we only did a couple, but the service was good.
You can utilize any of the facilities at the Sunset Resort next door, and it is worth going over to at least check it out. Be sure to go up to the sky pool at the top of the mountain.
The pools at the Pacifica are great, with plenty of room and chairs and such.
We did some shopping in town and felt safe everywhere we went with no problems. There are pretty much no driving laws there, so be careful, you never know what the other cars are doing. You do run in to people trying to sell you stuff at the mall and marina, not unusual.
DO NOT stop for anyone at the airport if you rent a car, just go directly to the counter or outside for your car rental transportation. The other forums are correct in them trying to trap you in to other timeshare deals, and they will give you wrong directions on where you are going. Just be rude and keep walking or you will be sorry.
We drank the water at the resort with no problems and had bottled water at the other places we ate or traveled to.
Most of the shopping costs and some of the activities costs you do can be bargained for, so make lower offers and see where you get.
Otherwise, check the other postings and most of the info is correct and accurate.

Feel free to email me with any questions.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
11  Thank robonel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabo San Lucas
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa

Been to Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!