“The best birthday ever!”

Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed May 8, 2007

I just got back from my birthday trip to Cabo San Lucas. This hotel was amazing. I am an extremely picky traveler and was a little leary of staying here because it was not on the "tourist corridor" and it was much less expensive than the resorts on the corridor and because of all the things I'd heard about the sales pitch to buy a timeshare. But rest assured, this place is a gem.

There is no need, in my opinion, to spend two or three times the money to stay on the corridor, unless you just have money to burn and want to swim in the Pacific. But even if I had wanted to swim in the ocean, I wouldn't have been able to. The water was freezing. So nothing lost there. And most of the hotels along the corridor are a 15-20 minute cab ride into Cabo. Pacifica is about 5-10 minutes. As for the hard core sales pitch, we told the lady up-front when we checked in that we were in no way interested in touring the other facilities, even though she was offering us all kinds of freebies. She immediately stopped the pitch and we went on our way. That was the end of it. Just be firm with them in the beginning, and you shouldn't have a problem. Now if you go on the tour or act like you might, you may have a different experience.

We booked a suite and it was well worth it. The extra space was needed since we were there for 5 days and also, all of the suites are on the top floor. In addition, the suites have the extra balcony space with two lounge chairs. So nice. The housekeeping was there at least twice a day and did an excellent job.

The staff, everyone we encountered, was extremely nice and helpful. I don't think the word "no" exists at this place. We had massages, and they were awesome. The spa is beautiful--one of the best I've been to anywhere. The pools were great, heated which was nice because that Pacific wind is chilly. The poolside service was excellent also. And the shrimp tacos are definitely to die for. We ate lunch at the pool everyday but one, and it was yummy every time. and try the mango daiquiris!

We were going to have dinner on the beach for my birthday but the wind was out of control so we just relocated to inside with the restaurant with no trouble. The dinner at Siempre was really the only not-so-great thing about the resort. You should definitely eat in town for dinner--it's much better and MUCH cheaper. Although I will say that our waiter was so nice. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted on the menu and he had the chef come out and we decided on something off the menu he could fix for me. I don't know many places that would make that accomadation. So I do give the restaurant props for that.

The cafe is definitely the way to go for breakfast too, unless you are just one of those big breakfast eaters. They have great pastries and croissant and bagel sandwiches and the coffee is good too. Quick and easy.

Two Suggestions:

1. bring lots of sweaters and don't worry about buying cute tops or dresses like I did. no one will see them. Maybe the cold wind will stopping blowing but if not, pack the sweaters. You'll be glad you did.

2. rent a car. everyone says the cabs are no problem but I heard stories of cabbies overcharging and they are very aggressive. I wouldn't have been comfortable riding in one. With your own car, we rented a jeep, you can come and go from the resort as you please and not dole out money to dishonest cab drivers. The parking is easy to find downtown too so don't worry about that. It also gave us the opportunity to take a day trip up to Todos Santos. It was worth it to get out in the countryside and see the real Mexico. The drive is beautiful along the Pacific Coast. If you go, you have to eat at the restaurant across the street from the Hotel California. They serve the most incredible shrimp chile rellenos you'll ever eat. And their margaritas are out of this world. Stick to one though--they are potent!

As for Cabo itself, we ate at Mi Casa which was very good and seemed to be authentic Mexican food. And as I said, the prices in town are very reasonable. If you are looking to dine out extremely nice one night, I would recommend Lorenzillos on the marina. It was expensive but worth it. The lobster specials were delicious and the views are wonderful of the entire marina. We also did the token stops at The Giggling Marlin and Cabo Wabo. A little bit crazy for our taste but must-dos. We also drove over to the, what I call "spring break beach" where The Office is located. Boy was I glad we weren't staying at any of those hotels along there. Nothing but drunk college-age kids and natives hustling any and everything. But again, a must-do if you are there.

As I said, for anyone who doesn't want to or can't spend an absolute fortune to stay at a five-star resort on the corridor, stay at the Pacifica. This is the first time I haven't stayed at one of the more expensive hotels and as I said, I was a bit apprenhensive, but this hotel was perfect. Quiet, relaxing, beautiful, secluded, but close enough to town to bop in and out as we pleased. And the driveway to the Pacifica is a sight to be seen in itself. No other place has anything like it in Cabo. This place is a real find.

13  Thank VaGirl07
Write a ReviewReviews (3,986)

Reviewed May 7, 2007

I skeptically booked a week at the Pacifica via a timeshare deal for my husband and I who were long overdue for a vacation. We paid $299.00 for the ENTIRE week, of course we attended the 2 hour time share blah-blah (as the hotel staff called it). The breakfast was good and the 'blah blah' fairly painless, well worth this hugely discounted rate. We met a couple who had paid 450.00 a night for the same room we had!
This is one of the most restful vacations we have ever had. The resort is beautiful, the staff friendly and attentive. We love children, but having none there was an unexpected plus. The pools were warm and the fish tacos at the pool cafe were spectacular.
We were given a first floor king and it was great. We actually preferred it as we had all round views and flowers and cactus right off our deck. Yoga on the beach was wonderful
TIps:
1. Rent a car and make it to Todos Santos for a day. Go to the Cafe Santa Fe, the best Italian food we have EVER had. Beautiful small town, best shopping.
2. SanJose del Cabo is nicer to walk around in than Cabo for us middled aged non drinker types.
3. So many great restaurants. Try Felix's in Cabo. Very nice French Bakery in San Jose. Hotel food was all very good. Yes, the banana bread french toast a must try!
3. Be prepared for wind. We had a mix of weather, some crazy windy times that didn't seem to have a pattern. It could be windy early or late. The crashing waves are amazing and of course you can't swim in the ocean in most of Cabo.

Buen Viaje, K and M

7  Thank muyalta
Reviewed May 6, 2007

I just returned from 6 days at the Pacifica with my boyfriend and another couple. We range in age from 29 (me) to 45. I'll try to give you an idea of how all of us liked it though. There are a lot of great reviews already so I won't repeat information on the grounds, pool, and atmosphere. Let me just say that we went on an ATV ride and stopped at a resorts downtown to pick up other people. They seemed noisy and overcrowded- kind of like Cabo in general. While we went downtown almost everyday, we really appreciated the peace of the Pacifica when we got back.

Rooms- request a room on the 3rd or 4th floor, preferably in room 1341-1346.

Timeshares- after reading about the timeshare people, I was determined not to get sucked into listening to them. Other than an offer of 2 drink coupons when we checked in, we weren't harrassed at all (the other couple took the drink coupons- they talked for a couple minutes and weren't pressured after they made it clear they weren't interested. When we ate at the Sunset next door, though, a timeshare person came up to our table!

Service- great, but slow. We loved the wine bar and went every night. Don't miss the wine tasting on Wednesday night! The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Food- the cost of food is very reasonable for breakfast, lunch, and room service. I loved the omelet pacifica, ceviche, and fish tacos. My boyfriend liked the banana French toast. However, dinner at the Siempre was overpriced and overrated. Drinks are expensive at the bars and restaurants, but cheaper at the store. We ate at Mi Casa because other reviews were positive, but our drinks and food were terrible (my boyfriend had enchiladas and liked them, though.) The Bistro at Sunset Beach was good, although the resort itself has faded carpets and garish, outdated decor. Cha Cha's on the marina was good- we were promised a free round of drinks, but after we were seated they said only beer was free. The grilled lobster and shrimp pasta were excellent, though. Alexander's was overpriced and the food was terrible. The seafood plate was bland, the steak was tough and nearly inedible, and my scallops came in a sweet and sour sauce- yuck! The lobster was ok, but not as good as Cha Cha's. The other couple went to Medano Beach and loved the happy hour at Mango Deck.

Transportation- we took taxis everywhere. They dropped us off by the marina for a cost of $10-$12. We decided next time we'll rent a car so we can see more places and eat at the local restaurants. The taxi from the airport cost $80. The couple we were with reserved a shuttle online and got to the resort before we did. We requested a shuttle from the concierge on the return and it was only $16/person.

Activities- the Caborey snorkeling cruise was a lot of fun. We signed up for it at the concierge for $49/person. They played music and had an open bar as we cruised past Lover's Beach and the arch. Then we snorkeled and had lunch on the boat. The ATV trip was also fantastic. It was about $65/person and we drove ATVs in the desert and on the beach after a two minute lesson. I'd do this on the last day, though, since you'll be sore afterwards.

I'd definitely recommend the Pacifica to other people. All 4 of us love to travel and like to go to different places, but we all said we'd go back to the Pacifica.

9  Thank caribberin
Reviewed May 3, 2007

Literally just unpacked . . . last eight days spent at the Pacifica! Won't "bore" you with repeats of just how fantastic everything was - all items that have been raved about previously, my husband and I agree with. We needed a "chill" vacation (we are aged 34/40 Type As) and this property fit the bill. Just a few comments (I'm holding back . . .)

- HEED the WINDY/COOL NIGHT WARNING! Thought it wouldn't effect us - ladies, def bring more than a wrap for night. Windy at the pool but made it perfect for sunbathing.

- Did three massage days - if you can request Theresa - she gave me the best deep tissue I've EVER had (I have chronic back and neck issues) and I hugged her after the appointment! We thought the prices were fair - comp to Chicago burbs high-end spas. The Spa experience plus the tranquil environment is kinda the whole idea of the place.

- We were given the time share pitch but said we weren't sure if we'd want to attend, gave a $20 deposit which we were told we'd get back, didn't go to the presentation, got our $20 deposit back with no hassles. Met one couple who did buy - the whole transaction took 3 hours but they were given refreshments the whole time.

- If you are looking to do a cash advance from your credit card (or turning in pesos for $), the Front Desk will charge you 10%, and a few other fees (ick!) so ask the Bell Stand to show you the employee ATM machine right outside the front foyer.

- Cell phone reception best by the pools or on the beach.

- This was true for us - ALL staff we encountered were extremely respectful. I believe that you get what you give. Some lovely people . . .

- If you don't like the sound of crickets at night, make sure you are not on the first floor - we're pretty sure it was a recording of the chirping. I loved it, he tolerated it because the sound of the ocean at night was enchanting.

- No watches for sale in Cabo's flea market areas since last week

- Never a weak drink at the property. Beware of asking for shots of "your best tequila" - thankfully they confirmed we were willing to pay $40 a shot before pouring (we declined and asked for the best cheapest tequila shots!).

Hope some of this helps - and hope you chose this incredible place to "get away" - I'm mentally still there . . .

8  Thank luvmyjakey
Reviewed April 30, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for our Honeymoon for 8 days and seven nights. This was hands down the best resort I have ever stayed in. It will be very difficult to top this vacation.
We rode the Gray Line shuttle from the airport to the Pacifica. We took notice of the other resorts as the other passengers were dropped off. My jaw almost hit the floor once we arrived in the complex. The grounds are immaculately kept and gorgeous. It was very serene from the moment you walked throught the glass doors into the lobby. We actually bought the spray that was for sale in the gift shop because it was so yummy.
My husband chose this resort because it was Adults Only. We met many wonderful people as we lounged by the infinity pools. The service was top notch from the front desk to the turn down service. All of the stress, worries, and cares just melted away once we were settled into our room. The accomadations were more than ample. The rooms were well decorated and the amenities in the room were well thought out.
We would reccommend eating at the deli for breakfast and lunch. Mi Casa is the best restaurant ever! I would reccommend eating there one of your first nights.
The free shuttle from the Sunset Beach to the Rose was nice as well. We just listened to seasoned Cabo travelers for excellent eating suggestions. I will forewarn though, eating is pricey but the service is top notch no matter where you eat!
Have a great time in Cabo!

12  Thank sarahchadindy
Reviewed April 29, 2007

Words cannot explain how wonderful this hotel/spa is.

The hotel itself is beautiful and very, very clean. There must be some aromatherputic smells they waft through the lobby area, because as soon as we arrived, I felt relaxed. The nice warm towel they give you when you arrive is just an extra bonus.

The staff- overall, were very attentive and friendly (especially the bellhops). The wait staff at the pool area had a lot of people to handle, so they did their best to be attentive.

The room was immaculate and gorgeous. The bed was extremely comfortable. **make sure you call to get some of their special pillows** the pillows on the bed origionally are fine, but the feather ones are top notch. The only downside to the room were the rock part of the floor, in which we continually stubbed our toes upon. I could honestly care less about the prices of the mini-bar. Yes, a Voss water is 12.00, but as other reviewers stated, you can buy water at the shop downstairs for a lot cheaper and take it back to your room. We did get turn-down service for only one of the nights. Seemed they came while we were showering to get ready and did not want a maid in the room. She would smile and give us fresh towels and chocolate, so thats nice enough~

The view--- from every room I imagine, is the best view. If you leave your balcony doors ajar, you can hear the ocean as you sleep (and also the wind, which can sound like a screaming banshee at times). However, I could spend an entire day just sitting on the balcony looking at the view. That alone made this a great hotel.

NO KIDS- what else can I say. I would come back here simply because of that reason....

The food: The breakfast at Siempre, was nothing exciting. I would simply just go to the small market and get a muffin or breakfast sandwich instead (the coffee is better there too)However, after a long few days we tried it again for dinner. It was delicious!!!! I enjoyed every bite of it...and I did not find it to be that over priced at all. For 4 people (who like to drink) our bill was only 300 USD and this included an appetizer for each, dinner and dessert, and drinks of course. The food at the pool was nice and always hit the spot after a long day in the sun. (shimp tempura tacos, yum)----

The timeshare deal- NO HASSLE at all! They could tell we were worn out from traveling and was basically stated a simple no, and they validated our drink tickets and off we went and never heard from them again. They did not even let us know they were timeshare people, we just assumed and found out later they were. HOWEVER, WHEN i go back-- I will take them up on the tour. I heard it was only 90 minutes from some of the guests and they got A TON of discounts for doing it...to include 100.00 bar tab, 200.00 for dinner and things to do in town. That is worth it (given that some of the drinks are pricey and if you like to have a cocktail like us)

Activities- we did participate in the scuba class and went scuba diving--- can't beat it! 60 USD for a long, beautiful dive. I watched the water aerobics, and they looked like they were having so much fun. The instructor bought the women a drink and they just swam around with their swim-noodles and chatted at the end and seemed as if they all became friends.

YOU JUST cannot beat this resort. It is beatuful, serene and top notch for your $$$.

10  Thank Tarahh1
Reviewed April 28, 2007

My new husband and I selected the PB Pacifica as the hotel to stay for 7 days while we were married in Cabo. We also urged all of our friends and family to stay there. We were so happy with our choice. It is a beautiful property in Cabo. Clean, new , beautiful, modern. The spa is spectacular! The service wonderful! Food excellent, view incredible, beaches fab! I could go on and on. I am a former Ritz Carlton employee and wedding planner, I am very particular! I will be honest so here goes........

1. The internet cafe and deli ...great bargain for cabo!
2. Shrimp tacos and nachos and the pool bar ...awesome!
3. We rented a bed on the beach with a butler and ipods, worth the 90 dollars!
4. did the timeshare pitch ...the 300 dollars came in handy
5. concierge fabulous!
6. very windy and cool at nites...beware of this, bring appropriate attire.
7.wedding planner on site...we did not do our wedding on property we decided to host it at cabo del sol and i am happy about this choice, but considering they knew we were getting married they did not do one thing special for us even though we brought 30,000 worth of biz to the hotel, so that was not cool.
8. the director of sales was very mediocre not impressive
9. some of the staff was borderline rude there is a feeling that they are bitter because all of the americans coming to cabo in there country, part of this made me feel awkard as i am always kind to staff at hotels because i come from the service industry...this only happened with 20% of the staff but it happened so it is no 5 star resort trust me!!!
10. rooms are small, get a suite if you can swing it
11. don't do your wedding here, too windy and kind of casual
regardless we hope to go back but cabo is so expensive!

Stayed: April 2007