“Pueblo Bonito Pacifica - April 2007”

Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #18 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Minnesota
“Pueblo Bonito Pacifica - April 2007”
Reviewed April 7, 2007

We needed to book two rooms through Blue Ribbon Travel, who worked with Funjet Vacations and EPIC Los Cabos. We had our two daughters (18 & 22) with us. The rates were about $350 per night each room. Got hosed on the airfare from Mpls to Cabo $990 round trip.

The Pacifica is a 5 star resort. Very remote, on the Pacific side, next to nothing. About a mile beach with no one on it. If you like solitude and peace and quiet, this is the place. The sister hotel in Cabo, Rose', was like Coney Island.

Bad undertow at the Pacifica, so can't swim there, but gorgeous. Hotel is very minimalistic and zen inspired as the promo indicates. Staff is firendly and everywhere. Free shuttle to other Pueblo Bonito properties in Cabo. Spa was fantastic. There is extra charges for everything, bottled water $5.00, fitness center $10.00 or $15.00 with locker room access includes steam room, hot tub, cold water plunge, and shower, although great apple infused free water in the locker room, along with pecans and dried fruit (you could make a breakfast out of it). Very relaxing space. All the rooms are facing the pacific in some fashion. Food and drinks are priced like a nice US hotel (pina colada $9.00, corona $4.50, hamburger $13.50, dinners are $20-45 for entree'). Interesting taxi rates, into town $20 back to hotel $10. Golf is very expensive, paid $280 at Palmilla plus $70 for taxi, and $350 at Cabo Del Sol plus $60 taxi. The Palmilla was not worth the price, but Cabo Del Sol, was better than Pebble Beach.

Fitness activities are organized by Mugiel, who is very good. The Tezamul or beach-side sweat lodge was not embraced by the staff, they close it at 3:00, and at that time its 90 degrees outside, and not appealing, but at 8:00 or 9:00 pm it might be great. They do not have a Mexican shaman deliver the services, its Mugiel, the fitness guy, who does the thing, same guy that does the other stuff like yoga, water aerobics, and towel folding classes.

Water was great, and no one in the party of 4 got really sick, although, it is Mexico and the North American digestive systems are not prepared for all the new experiences, but nothing serious. We ate only at top tier establishments. We had dinner one evening at Esperanza, and would highly recommend it. Suggest you do not take the table on the outside cliff stone deck closest to the water. We were next to that table and two couples were having a lively discussions about their growing financial assets when a bath tub of sea water came over the wall and completely soaked two of them. We were 20 feet above sea level !!.

The city is very friendly, everyone is hustling, and it felt safe. Ernesto Coppel, the owner of the chain of hotels has a house between the Sunset and the Pacifica, that must be worth $10 million, its way better than Chalres Swabbs house at Peeble Beach, and that's probably over $30 million. Ernesto, if you read this, invite us to stay with your family for a week. I jogged by the house one morning and it was early and must have caught the beach guards off-guard. But he has a fantastic vision for the mile and one-half of beach front that he owns, and is just starting on the first of two, top shelf golf courses. The up keep and maintainence on the properties we visited was first class, and I hope he can finish the project, as it will be one of the best resorts in Cabo. I am a little concerned with the wind on the Pacific side with respect to golf, but maybe we were there during the windy season.

All in all, a first class resort, with great potential as the next phase of the resort vision is executed.

• Liked — zen inspired facilities
  • Disliked — charged for everything, ie: bottled water in room,
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank aurrora98

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,096)
Shelbyville, Indiana
Reviewed April 4, 2007

My wife and I stayed at Pueblo Benito Pacifica from March 26 thru the 29th. Bottom line, it was simply one of the nicest resorts we have visited.
From the first view of the resort from atop the hill, to the entrance of the resort, to the lobby and up to our 3rd floor room, we simply were amazed at the beauty of this place. The view, landscaping, smell, sounds and food were memorable, and we are already looking at plans to return.
Here is an example of one of our days and nights...follow this plan and I promise a great day that you'll not soon forget:
Wake up about 8:00 head to the fitness center (if you have booked your couples massage, then the fitness center is free). Get a work out before breakfast.
Head back to the room for a shower (Big roomy shower). Head down to the restaurant for a great breakfast. I had a Mexican dish that was awesome!
Change into swimsuit and head to the pool for a couple hours. Head back in for the couples message you scheduled earlier. We had a swedish massage for 50 minutes and it too was phenomenal! The spa was way more than I expected and was a highlight of our stay.
Afterwards head back to the pool for a Margarita or two.
Drinks are pricey, but delicious...about $9 each.
Between the sun, massage and Margarita's, you will begin to wonder how you will ever survive the normal life without these wonderful luxuries.
Head back to your room to freshen up for a $10 cab ride into Cabo. We ate at Mi Casa and it was very good. Afterwords, pick up a nice cigar as you walk toward the marina. Buzz around for a few minutes checking out the scenary, then make your way to one of the clubs. We ended up at Cabo Wabo at about 9:45 and the live band started soon after. We danced until 1:00 AM and then grabbed another taxi back to the resort.
We absolutely loved our stay at this resort, and can't wait to return in the near future.

• Liked — Beauty, comfort and quality
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
11 Thank jowens
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed April 4, 2007

The hotel room and grounds were excellent at the Pacifica. Every room has a view of the ocean and a small balcony. We sat outside every evening and drank a glass of wine while looking at the water. The beach is very quiet and secluded, but you can't swim there because of the currents. However, its a wonderful place to walk by the water and watch the pelicans. My only complaint is the location in relation to the town. The only way to get into Cabo San Lucas is by taxi or rental car. We rented a car and it was not a pleasant experience. People drive like maniacs, the streets become one-way without signage and there is no place to park. Driving ruined the serenity of the hotel experience, but if we stayed at the hotel we had very limited dining choices. We ended up getting sandwiches from room service one night because we couldn't face driving into town again and we'd already been to the restaurants (they were not that great). The food by the pool is the least expensive and best, but it closes early. The Pacifica is perfect for someone looking for solitude and pampering, without great food choices.

3 Thank rbe3485
Pasadena, California
Reviewed March 29, 2007

My wife and I (we're both in our late 20's) desperately needed a vacation and started hearing great things about Los Cabos. Because of our jobs, we had to book at the last minute and just happened to find a great deal for this hotel on Expedia for 7 days. We checked the reviews on TripAdvisor and decided we had to do it.

And man, were we glad we chose this place. Los Cabos is basically strings of resorts, one after the other. Luckily, this resort is the very last one (past the actual town of Los Cabos). Nothing but sand and ocean once you actually get to the resort.

The hotel is amazingly clean and the pools are incredible, with great music and couples roaming about. We even opted for beachside massages at the amazing spa here. The only downside is the food at the resort was expensive and mediocre at best, but hey, a 10 minute cab ride to town and there's tons of great choices. Our best advice is to chill in the pool during the hot days, go back to the room to freshen up and then head into town for some fun. We went to a number of great restaurants, the most memorable being a romantic fairytale dinner on the cliffs at the Esperanza resort. That was incredible and if you have enough cash, that would be an amazing place to vacation as well.

All in all, a very relaxing trip and well worth the $$.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank JaphyRyders
New York
Reviewed March 29, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Pacifica on the 3rd week of March for our first anniversary, we are 30 with no kids, and travel extensively
to 5 star resorts. I would say that this one is 4 1/2 +. Its got all you need without being too over the top.

We gathered our info from TripAdvisor and are glad we did, we knew just what to expect with no surprises. This is a very modern, zen, minimalist hotel, with breathtaking decor and views. Couldn't get enough of the lavendar aroma which seemed to be everywhere but the rooms.

It's location is quiet and exclusive, yet 5 minutes and 10 dollars by cab to town (go once or twice and then you're over "town"). The shopping here is not worth it, spend your dinero on the fab food and spa. Be advised the hotel is 40 minutes from the airport (arrange transportation ahead or be ripped off once you're there) It is 30 from the other 5 star resorts (Palmilla and Las Ventanas), but the Pacifica is closer to the action, shopping, and the marina if you are interested in it (avoid spring break at all costs, we were there in the beginning before it got too crazy there). No spring breakers in this hotel at all though.

We had no problem getting chairs we liked at the pools. There are two to choose from that were equally lovely. If you are a beach person who must swim in the ocean, don't stay here. There are these great canopy beds on the beach (not free) that would be great on a less windy day (its cabo, so most days are at least breezy). The resort has wind barriers around the pool, and hot tub to cut down on the issue.

We came ready to fight off the time share folks, but didn't have to. They offered us the "tour and freebies", and we passed, and no one pushed the subject further. Everyone here was accomodating and ultra friendly. The rooms were lovely, if a bit small. The balconies were gorgeous with nice comfy furniture, and the layout allows for each one to have privacy. Request a higher floor for more privacy and better views. We were on the 2nd floor, but hardly disappointed, its closer to the pool, one flight of stairs (there are elevators too).

The spa was great, beautiful, clean, and friendly. The prices were on the ave-hi side. But you must get at least one treatment and enjoy
a steam and a dip in the tubs, you will not regret it.

Some mornings we ate outside at the fab restaurant for a wonderful brunch. If you don't feel like spending that much time or money, there is a cafe with great fresh muffins, egg croissants and goodies that will hit the spot as well. The cafe is also a store with sundries, snacks, meds, and internet access. We were in there daily, so convenient, and not as overpriced as we expected!

The yoga by the beach in the am was fabulous, it feels like you are in an exercise video, and the instructor was knowledgeable. At $15, its a great way to start the day. I'm sad we never saw any whales, but other people did so look when you go. And definitely go. Spring for a suite if you will be there for more than a few days, you'll appreciate the extra space, and its not that much more. The suites are also almost guaranteed to have better views. Dont bother with the sister hotels, they are not in the same league, and their beaches are loud and overcrowded.

I would absolutely visit the Pacifica again!

• Liked — Zen ambience, beautiful modern decor, great food and service
  • Disliked — Rooms a bit small, the pool chairs were on top of each other
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank iroc333
Monmouth Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed March 27, 2007

My wife have traveled a lot and we like to stay at hotels from the Leading Hotels of the World list. We make sure we are getting the best we can since we only vacation twice a year and work very hard for it. I have read every review about this hotel and I have to say that for the ones that were unpleased was a shocking surprise since this place does everything correct, yes everything.

Is it a little pricey, yes but so is Cabo in a whole. I suggest on the way in if not taking a shuttle with others passengers stop at a local store or stop at Costco (Yes, Costco) and grab a case of water. We stayed at the Palmilla about 4 years ago which was about $650 a room. It is also about 25 minutes from town. Staying here was easy to get to and from in about 5 to 10 minutes. Take the Taxi. The pictues you see is the place you get when you arrive, it is picture perfect, the service all around was very good, no actually excellent. No attitudes, if you're a friendly person than you'll be fine.

You check in and than see someone about a time share, that's fine for me not like some people who say it's crazy. I was asked once and that's it. No signs at their desks of who they are and they didn't approach me once afterwards. Some people from the USA need to relax a lot. Again, rooms are exactly what you see from the photos. YES, ask for a room on the 3rd floor or higher, there are only 5 levels and the 5th level are the suites. Get on that 3rd or 4th floor, I can see people being mad about that.

Pool area: It's peaceful and quite, you won't find a volleyball game or activities even though they promote it. People are chatting away and relaxing on the chairs. Get down their early for the umbrella spots. For every 2 chairs is a table. The servers are always around. Again, be patient they are nice people. I suggest tipping them on day one, they came over to me every moment my drink was near empty. I'm only talking $10. The food was pretty good, not great at the pool. Better than most places I've been too.

Deli: It's funny, I got hooked a a sandwich and they remembered me everythime I walked in. Get the Medano and have them use that grill press like a panini. Very good. In the morning, they have different breads as well. Small but got you to the point.

This the area for the computers/internet as well, here's the password 15042005, you'll thank me later. I saw the lady type it right in. Use the 2nd one.

Siempre: People say it's expensive. I'm sorry but you shouldn't be in Cabo if you can't afford a really good meal. You get the Tuna Tartar and the Escloar (White Tuna) and tell me if you over paid. The service is exactly how it should be done, I know I'm run an extremely high end restaurant. Go to the deli if you don't want to spend money.

Downtown: It is for walking aorund one day than going out to eat at night. $30 round trip for taxis. Here are you spots to go to.
Bars:
Cabo Wabo...owned by Sammy Hagar...good bands late night but I was sleeping by than. Stop in for one beer.
El Squid Roe...go in there around 6:30 and laugh your ^(% off at what goes on.
Margaritaville...okay, for one beer to say you went their
Giggling Marlin...if there's a game on you want to watch, this is your place

Restaurants:
Amarone: Italian on the marina...good to get some heavy starch in you. Pretty good, not great
Edith's...this is a MUST when in cabo...get the steak
The Office...Same owners as Edith's so the same menu. only go on a Thursday Night, live show
Peacock's...Nice setting, food okay
Mi Casa...I think the best of them all...seafood

Places I missed:
Lorenzillo's...check my spelling on this one...on the marina
Pancho's...every local said this place
Trailor Park...I heard about this place being great, doesn't sound great though.

Activites:
El Arco...get on a boat and see the arch, the famous rock formation that splits the sea of cortez and the Pacific Ocean
Fishing...I went on Got Caught...I caught a marlin and that was it. I heard some boats caught 2 or 3 and I heard other boats got shut out.
Sunset Cruise...don't do it, we didn't we sat right on the beach at our resort, I'm telling it's the same thing.
ATV...didn't do it but heards it's a blast.

Spa:
I got a facial and my wife got this Oil massage for 80 minutes, she said it was awesome, mine was okay. That part was pricey.

Overall:
This place can be windy which I heard a lot of people complained about, I went into town and felt the same wind so it's not the location, IT WAS JUST WINDY that day. Cabo in general is windy. I suggest bringing a couple of long sleeve shirts and maybe a zipped up sweatshirt. It can get chilly at night. Do not stay at the Westin, Sheraton, Palmilla, Las Ventanas, Esperanza, Marquis Los Cabos if you plan on venturing to downtown. It is further than you think. This place is just as nice and we will soon see this place hitting the top of the resort spots in Cabo. It is only 2 years old.

Thank me later...it is a time share spot for the hotel next door the Sunset so that's where the time share thing comes into play. Go to resortopportunities.com. This hotel is holding a special for $300 for 6 or 7 nights. All you have to do is spend 3 hours listening to their sales pitch about the Sunset. I didn't do this because I didn't know about it. I heard about 10 couple did this, it's not a hoax. Actually, I'm jealous, I spent about $300 a night.

Good luck and have fun

• Liked — No Kids
  • Disliked — No Activies
22 Thank cincyreds1975
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 26, 2007

The resort is beautiful...the resort though is located at the tip so the surf is very rough so swimming is not advisable. All rooms have an oceanview with balcony. The beds are firm--but the pillow menu is a nice feature. The bathroom size seems small. Maid service was good--the room was always clean and presentable--they provide turn-down service. They have a shuttle service to two other resorts in the area--one being close to downtown. This was nice, however, the shuttle did not run as frequently as we would have liked. The worse part about Los Cabos is getting bombarded by the timeshare sellers--it happens in the airport (which was extremely annoying after traveling13+ hours). As soon as you check-in they hit you up at the resort. We were not allowed up to our room until we spoke with the timeshare lady. Everytime we had breakfast either at the Bistro (at the Sunset "sister hotel") or even at this resort they harrassed you about needing to go to the timeshare presentation. That was by far my husband and I's biggest complaint. The food was decent--he loved the shrimp tacos--and rather inexpensive as compared to other resort vacation destinations. Drinks though are expensive! One other nice feature was that this was an adults only resort--no screaming kids!

• Liked — adult only atmosphere
  • Disliked — timeshare sellers
7 Thank KSM1978
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabo San Lucas
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#2 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Been to Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!