“We'll be back.....”

Ranked #18 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Los Angeles
“We'll be back.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2010

Pueblo Bonito Pacifica was a promotion we received as a result of a cruise we took last year. Normally we head to Hawaii for Spring Break with our college kid, however we chose to take advantage of this offer. I was a bit apprehensive about the bad press Mexico was getting, however since we were flying from Los Angeles the value was too good to pass up. After a two hour flight, we arrived in San Jose and had a shuttle take us about another 40 minutes South to our resort. Two plusses versus Hawaii right off the bat is no humidity and no mosquitoes. The weather is a very comfortable 85 degrees with a breeze. I was extremely impressed with the staff who greeted us, answered our questions and got us to our room. From the bellman (Luis) to the front desk (Angelo) they all were very professional, friendly, and spoke perfect English. They made us feel welcome and comfortable. The entrance is Zen-like, very minimal and works well to calm the soul. The Pueblo Bonito Pacifica is for those that want to unwind from the fast-paced life we come from. Every room boasts an incredible ocean view - I saw whales from my balcony on the first day. Poolside (I should say poolsides as there are two) was very pleasant - there was no rushing to try to find a spot as there was plently of chairs for all, and I had a margarita in my hand without having to wait at all. Towels were provided along with umbrellas and padded lounges. The rooms are standard Hotel type although we could have upgraded to a suite at check-in if we wanted to. . The food and drink are resort priced and acceptable - gratutity is not automatically included. There were more dinner options at the Sunset which is just a shuttle ride away. I do recommend that you make reservations if you go to the other Pueblo Bonito resorts. The water is de-salinized and we had no trouble drinking the local water, although they do provide the bottled options. The staff works hard to make sure you are satisfied and there is always someone there to help without being too overbearing. The workout facilities were acceptable with a trainer on-site to assist with questions. I used the spa facilities today and would compare the masseuse to any of the other 5 star spas throughout the world. We're only at day 4 of a 7 night stay and I have felt very safe and satisfied.

Some general tips:
When you arrive at the airport you will be greeted by an overabundance of gentleman who will be trying to secure a committment to visit a timeshare. The Pueblo Bonito did advise us to walk directly out of the airport to look for the shuttle driver. This can be a bit confusing as when you clear customs and receive your bags the next door leads you to another "room" where many people are trying to steer you to speak to timeshare people. Turn "right" at the exit and go through another set of automatic doors to find your shuttle.

At the Pacifica, there is free internet but you will need an ethernet cord, there is no wireless in the rooms. They do provide cords, however my husband and I both brought our laptops and we were able to be on line at the same time as we brought one from home. The internet connection is one of the few "free" things.

The Pacifica is part of 4 other Pueblo Bonito Properties in this area. The Sunset is up the road and the Blanco and Rose are in Cabo itself. I suggest familiarizing yourself with the shuttle schedule and plan accordingly. You can go by taxi but a taxi ride into Cabo cost $10.00 (US Dollars) and $60.00 to San Jose. There are car rentals if you are inclined to drive yourself. If there is a downfall, it would be that the shuttles don't run frequently enough and sometimes there was not enough room which kept us waiting further. Also make sure you reserve a spot on the shuttles going to town or you may find yourself waiting for the next one.

You cannot swim in the ocean at the Pacifica or Sunset, you will need to go into town to the other Pueblo Bonitos to swim in the Ocean. But honestly, I didn't mind.

Since we had our college aged daughter with us, we did have a choice to be at Pueblo Bonito Sunset versus Pacifica. Sunset has much more going on, however we preferred the serenity of Pacifica.

Make sure to catch the sunset from the beach one night - the site is breathtaking.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Syllyt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
Brighton, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2010

This place is beautiful! The grounds are amazing, the rooms are spotless. The staff is extremely nice. Even though you can't swim in the ocean, it is gorgeous! We saw whales from our balcony and heard the crashing waves all night. The pool is heated and feels great.

The food is absolutely fabulous! However, extremely expensive. Maybe it is because I am from the Midwest and not Cali, but the prices were high even for nicer restaurants in my area. For example, the wine markup was on average 600%. I enjoyed a $62 bottle of Bogle Petit Syrah which I recently purchased at Costco for $7.99. (just an example).

Also, be ready for a hard sell on the timeshares. If you take the shuttle to town, you will be dropped off at 2 other hotels in succession each of which will try to sell you timeshares.

The cab ride is $25 round trip which gets pretty spendy.

Overall we really enjoyed the hotel. Very peaceful.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hefele
Nyack, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2010

beautiful and spotless. airy and spacious. a short trip to town via hotel provided shuttle.

Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
nor cali
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2010

Upon check in I was very impressed with how clean this property was. Based on past review, if there was a problem with cleanlinessit has been corrected. My room-and the resort as a whole- was spotless.
Overall, an OK value here. Had a good massage and a totally cool sweatlodge ceremony. My experience was badly tainted by a run in with the front desk manager, when the hotel tried to charge me for removing -not drinking, removing- the items in my mini bar to cool a bottle of wine purchased elsewhere. This property is absolutely militant about guests buying Everything on property! If you take something out of the mni fridge, they charge for it, whether or not you consume it. The front desk manager, Laura, was adamant about this, but finally relented and did not charge me for the soft drinks, only the wine and beer I Did Not Drink, saying it was a new federal regulation in Mexico; wine and beer cannot be recooled once taken out of the refrigerator. Oh, Pullease! She also tried to make it seem like I could go no further up the chain of command from her. The manager, Mr. Santander, was unavailable when I tried to reach him.
When I was leaving, I shared this experience with some other guests, and they, too, felt that HPBP was in their pocket for everything while they stayed there. Too bad. There are too many choices in Cabo to put up with this kind of treatment.. I have stayed in Four Seasons, St. Regis, Ritz.. Never did I have a problem with the mini bar being used like this.
Regardless, there were some staff who went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable: Karim, Magda, Diana, Ramon were great. And my sweet timeshare rep Miriam-I may buy something yet! Thanks to all of you.
I would chose another resort next time, though. There are too many choices in Cabo to put up with petty treatment like this by management. And this was the other guests choice of words, not mine. It fits well.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank daddi0
South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2010

We stayed at this beautiful resort and were impressed by the stunning scenery and how immaculate they kept the grounds. The service was wonderful with some of the most polite staff I've ever met. The room was spotless and they cleaned it twice a day. I don't know where this Mark fella who left the scathing review below usually buys his food, but I thought the prices at the restaurant were good. I've been all over the world and I've rarely found a resort like this where you can buy a dinner for two (with alcohol) for around $40-$50. The food was wonderful, too. And no, there's no $8 water in your room, it's $4, but few experienced travelers expect value when taking things from the mini-bar.

With all that said, it's not a perfect place and hence the reason I didn't give it a perfect rating. The few complaints I had:

1. The beach is beautiful, but you can't swim there (because of the dangerous currents). They made a point of telling us "people die out there," which was pretty evident once we saw the waves. You can always use one of their sister resorts in town for free where there are nicer beaches, but it would have been nice if they'd advertised that you can't swim here.

2. Location is a bit out of the way and all but impossible to walk to town unless you're in good shape and have an hour to kill each way. A taxi will cost you at least $10 each direction or you can take the (free) scheduled shuttles to their sister resorts in town.

3. I don't like the time share pressure when you first arrive. They try to rope you in to a presentation and they're pretty high pressure about it. We kept telling them "no," but they said, "you have to, everyone does it." Yeah, don't think so. Once they finally got it it through their heads what "no" meant, they left us alone, but it seems so unnecessary to begin with. I know some people like the time share stuff, so why not put a sign up advertising you're holding a presentation and leave the rest of us alone?

4. As the scathing reviewer said, it seems they try to nickel and dime you on everything. The only reason I don't mark them down for it more is that I've seen the same thing in a dozen other high end hotels. It seems the more stars a hotel has the more they gouge you on amenities, certainly nothing new in my experience but still no less irritating.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fire_chief92
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2010

We booked the Pacifica through Costco Travel, which I highly recommend, if for nothing else than avoiding the hucksters and con artists at the airport. We also booked this trip last summer, at the height of the H1N1 scare. For whatever reason, we got a great deal at a 5 star resort. The Pacifica is fabulous if you're looking for a quite, relaxing vacation near the ocean with perfect weather. No, you can't swim on the beach. If you've been to Cabo before, (our 3rd trip) you would know there are just a few sheltered bays where you can swim. But Pacifica has about a 2 mile stretch of beautiful beach practically to themselves, that is great for walking and relaxing. The food is fantastic. We ate one evening meal at the restaurant, and dropped over $110. You can get by a lot cheaper eating at the poolside restaurant. The service naturally drops off a bit, but you'll still get great food for no more than you would spent at an Old Chicago or Fridays. 90% of the staff provided great service. (The concierge was in the 10%) You will be hit up for the time share pitch - HARD, when you first come in, and little reminders for the first day, but nothing after that. Another slight negative, no shuttle into town, which isn't that far away. There is a shuttle to PB Sunset (5 minutes), and then you can take another shuttle to from Sunset to PB Rose (20 minutes), which gets you close to downtown & Medano Beach (party central). The whole process is a little time consuming, but free. A cab is about $12. Again, 3 trips to Cabo, totaling about 3 weeks - barely a cloud in site, and 80 degree days in February! THAT'S WHY YOU GO TO CABO!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HawkEyedHusker
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2010

We were lucky enough to get one of the hotel's deals on a suite - stay 2 nights, get the third free, so we went for the splurge and we are so glad we did! The views were stunning, the rooms were spacious and well designed, and there was a butler on call to help us at the touch of a button on our phone! We have never felt so pampered in our lives. Thank you Jaime!!
I saw many of the complaints about the ocean not being swimmable - we found out that very few locations in Cabo have a swimmable beach, so if that is high on your list, best to travel to another city. We didn't mind it at all, because it meant the beach was very quiet, adding to the overall Zen feel of the hotel - no kids screaming at the pool, no one smoking a cigar next to you (the whole hotel is smoke free), just the sound of waves crashing and some quiet music at the pool.
The hotel is fairly small - just over 150 rooms, and it was put together with great design elements - lots of raked sand, desert flowers and water features. It felt more authentic to the desert environment than many of the other overly green luxury resorts which you know have no chance of being eco-friendly given all of their non-native plants, grass and greenery.
Pacifico is the furthest hotel from Cabo, in the hotel strip. However, it was only a 15 minute cab ride to town. I guess if you're looking for peace and tranquility, it would make sense that you can't have that right in the middle of downtown Cabo!
If you're flying in to Cabo, be prepared to run through the airport ignoring everyone who approaches you, and seems to want to help you - they are all trying to sell you timeshares. Get outside as quickly as you possibly can - that's where the transportation actually is.
We were approached only once at the Pacifica about timeshares - when you check in, they give you free drink tickets, which you have to get stamped by the timeshare ladies. We just said no thank you, politely but firmly, and were not bothered again.
My only complaints about this hotel was that the service was pretty slow by the pool, and the sheets on the bed could have been a higher thread count - they seemed out of context with the luxurious room and bed. I would highly recommend this hotel - if you're looking for a quiet and luxurious getaway, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple