“What a nice place and wonderful staff!”

Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #19 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed June 6, 2006

Had the best trip ever this last week at the Pacifica. Not only was it clean and beautiful there but I believe the wonderful staff really made the stay our best. The first day was chilly and found beach and around pools too cool. The high winds off the Pacific was blowing lounge cushions all over but we found refuge in the hot tub area that had a nice glass wall around it and stayed comfortable in the sun. The rest of the week, everyday, after a fabulous breakfast at Siempre we could lay in the chairs on the beach, take time in hot tub, then move to one of the 2 heated pools to lay in sun and swim. Of course, the waiters were there to take the drink/food orders. Food was very good and price reasonable. We never had a problem finding lounge chairs anywhere all week. It was busy but never crowded. It seemed over 70 percent of people there were aged 20 to 30. Everyone quiet and reserved and background music very low key. We only made three trips ($10 cab ride each way) into CSL all week. Turned out to be a good thing not renting a car.
Except for the few times in town, we ate all meals at Siempre, the onsite restaurant. Service, food presentation, and quality were just awesome. It was never crowded. As far as cost, prices were within reason for first class. Drinks begin at 30 pesos (fresh juices at breakfast, at 40 pesos-Wow!) Breakfast prices ran from 75 pesos to aound 120 pesos. Dinner appetizer/salad could be 220 pesos and entrees the highest was 350 pesos for steaks.
The room was not the biggest but very adequate. The bed/pillows were very comfortable. We got an extra pair of pillows because we read instead of Tv. All appointments, furniture,fixtures very nice.
I cannot say enough how nice, hard working, and welcoming the staff was.
The wife is ready to return. I think we had better do it soon before prices catch up with the quality.

• Stayed: June 2006
15  Thank Walkman
There are newer reviews for Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort

Reviewed June 5, 2006

The Pueblo Bonito Pacifica provided me and my wife with quite possibly the best 4-day weekend we ever spent out-of-town. The Pacifica's style, fine details, and meticulous attention to cleanliness and service are well documented in previous reviews. What stuck out in my mind was 1) the serene and clever architecture and landscaping; 2) the high level of responsiveness provided by the staff; and, 3) the overall quality and cleanliness of the place.

What makes it unique:
No kids, but not many adults either. Unlike the jam-packed hotels in town and at its sister properties, the Pacifica is low-key mostly because it isn't crawling with humanity. The dense desert motif and water features, coupled with an excellent main pool (with swim up bar), instantly put me into an almost perfect mellow and content mood. Great care and creativity went into the design and building of this wonderful place, and I wouldn't change a thing. I found the room inviting and flawless, and ours was just the standard offering.

Potential drawbacks:
The Pacifica is all about how much their schtick fits your needs. There's a definite flavor to the place - sleak, modern, mid-30's, professional, and, um..."holistic." The lobby and spa are both bathed in lavender. This is surely not your father's seaside Mexican resort; it's not really all that Mexican in general. The new age music piped around the property is slightly comical. Maybe it helps conceal the howl of the wind?

Don't expect Mexican prices:
Margaritas and Tacos de Camarones at the pool added up fast. Like much of Cabo, the actual Mexican economy has somehow disappeared. Still, it wasn't a *total* ripoff like those Caribbean resorts with their $15 turkey sandwiches.

I would not hesitate to book the Pacifica if you aren't bothered by shuttling or cabbing into Cabo and paying high end American-style prices for food and drink. The usual rates for a room aren't bad for a luxury resort; just don't get frugal about your $8.00 margaritas and decidedly unmexican pricing model. Remember, you came here to relax, and the Pacifica will definitely help you do that.

• Stayed: June 2006
16  Thank MarkH_CA
Reviewed June 3, 2006

My wife and I just returned from a six day stay at the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Hotel, and I can honestly say that it was the best vacation spot I've ever been to. I do not say this to be arrogant, we travel quite a lot and it takes a lot to really impress, and this place did. It's incredibly relaxing and beautiful. The pool area was amazing, and the service at Siempre, and in general throughout, was top notch. Several things to consider (1) This is not your typical, Jimmy Buffet, mariachi band playing place, but rather a luxurious 5 star quality type retreat. If you are looking for action, bars, nightlife, singles looking to hook up, etc. this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a relaxing time, great facilities and top service, then I highly recommend it. It is not a "cheap" place, so keep that in mind. They do cater to an upscale crowd, and the prices (meals at Siempre/Fresca/etc) reflect that, but they are fair. The spa was fantastic. Also, this is very close to town. We decided to cab it, and cabs cost $10 each way. You can also take a free shuttle (runs twice each hour until 10pm I believe, to Sunset Beach, where you can take a second shuttle, which runs once an hour, into town) Regarding the time share thing - in a nutshell, as soon as you check in they direct you to a hospitality desk that will push for you to attend a time share presentation. It's at their sister property, Sunset Beach. We were given a $200 credit to attend, but if it's something you wish to avoid, you should from the start. Just tell them you've attended one before, or that you really aren't interested. We were never asked about it by anyone else at the hotel besides the initial pitch.They say it's 90 minutes, but ours lasted about 3 hours. They tool you around the property, then take you to a room and give you the hard sell. If you are in that position, just say "hey, it's not for me, thanks but no thanks" and take off or they will go on forever, trust me. In any case, I was blown away by this hotel and I will definitely be going back.

11  Thank ianbY1259BT
A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 1, 2006

Would go back in a heart beat! Just be prepared for very expensive dinners in the restaurant but the food was wonderful. Drinks are $10 poolside and beers were a little less than that. The food is less expensive by the pool. The service was excellent. The staff must be treated well. It shows in how they treat the customers. Not one complaint and I'm not easy to please when it comes to hotels and resorts.
You will not be dissapointed.
Seattle, Washington

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 29, 2006

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at the Pacifica May 23 - 28. After staying at the Sheraton Hacienda on our last visit to Cabo, we had a hard time deciding between the two. I must say, the Pacifica is hands down a better and more relaxing hotel. (If that's what you're looking for in a vacation). There are no loud screams by the pool about happy hour, no kids running and jumping in the pool and it is not over crowded. The staff is well trained and aims to please the guests..there is nothing they won't do to accommodate you. The food served pool side and at the restaurant Siempre is good. The previous reviewers complaining about the price of the drinks and food obviously are not used to traveling because the prices are comparable to any other fine hotel, resort or restaurant. The rooms are well appointed and modern. The spa service was excellent as well..again very well trained staff. I have zero complaints about my experience there and will return on my next trip to Cabo.

5  Thank jimcal525
Reviewed May 29, 2006

My husband and I just returned from our week-long honeymoon at the PB Pacifica. I read as many reviews as possible before going and feel that everything was represented accurately. We loved just about everything about the hotel...the view from the room was incredible, the spa was great, the gym was small but with very nice, up-to-date equipment, and the staff were so helpful and friendly!

I can't think of anything that hasn't been addressed in other reviews that I'd like to add...people commented on how expensive things were at the hotel, and I agree. I guess it is good to know that in advance so you can plan for it - it didn't really bother us. Domestic beers were $4 at the pool bar & drinks were between $7 and $10 depending what we got. The atmosphere is amazing, though, so it was worth it. Plus, they do such a great job of staffing the hotel with quality workers (and so many of them) that the prices seem justified to me.

We ate at the pool bar and ordered room service quite a few times and the food was pretty good. We also ate at La Nao over at the Sunset Beach (which is a 2-minute, free shuttle ride away) and loved it there - we went twice for dinner. We also went into town a few times, but kept it to a minimum since we didn't like all of the people heckling us to try and get us to eat at their restaurant or go fishing with them or buy drugs or whatever (I know that when you're in Mexico you should expect this, but it was just something we didn't really feel like dealing with). The one place in town that we absolutely loved was Baja Cantina (there are two of them - the one we went to for 3 meals was on the marina). They have a great breakfast which is served until noon, and very good dinnner as well; plus, the service there was very nice, and the owner seemed to be there at all times - he even recognized us on our second visit!

Transportation to & from the airport - we went with the private shuttle service from Transcabo. I booked it online as I was making the air and hotel reservations and was very glad I had done so (it was around $180 round-trip). If nothing else, it is nice having the peace of mind that nobody is taking advantage of you when you arrive and don't know what is going on!

Really, the only negative comment I have is in regards to the timeshare "presentation," for which we were solicited. We signed up for it and were compensated with bar/restaurant vouchers, and I guess it was probably worth it since it only took up about 90 minutes of our time, but it was ridiculously high-pressure sales (even though they claim it isn't), and they want you to sign up for it on the spot. We hadn't planned on signing up either way, but were a bit surprised that they expected us and pressured us to sit there and spend $15,000 after simply touring the place and chatting with a salesman. The whole thing just really left me with a bad impression of the Pueblo Bonito company...

Overall, I think we were both very happy with everything about the hotel and about the vacation; I think the Pacifica has a lot to offer and is really a great value. It seems like a fives star resort to me (I don't know it's official rating), is really relaxing and peaceful, and is close to town.

12  Thank Melissa R
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 28, 2006

Pubelo Bonito was pretty much how I thought it would be. Relaxing! No kids, very tranquil and incredibly clean. First of all if you have never been to Cabo please avoid all the timeshare sales men at the airport. You will see them in the airport after you pick up your luggage please avoid them like the plague. They lied to my husband and I by telling us our shuttle had not arrived so they could try to sell us activities when our shuttle had been waiting for us all along. Just do your self a favor and don't stop be as rude as you can. Pacifica is about 45 minutes away from the airport. I was so impressed by the beautiful lobby and view. Pacifica is very pretty. One thing though, they will try to get you to attend the timeshare meeting right after you check in. I had already read about this in tripadvisor and still could suckered into it, but at the same time we did get $150.00 food credit and 6 free alcholic drinks so we found it worth while. The rooms are very nice, not too big, but big enough. The landscaping was beautiful and the cleaning staff was cleaning all day. The service I can't say enough of. Excellent service. We got wonderful massages and the gym is small but nice with new machines. We were a little upset becuase we found out that a $10.00 fee applied per guest for using the gym but we did not get charged when we checked out. We were quite relieved about that. The pool area was very nice, never crowded, and did I mention the no kids part. One thing you can't go into the beach. The waves are very strong and they simply won't let you. It didn't bother us though they were amazing to look at. The food was very expensive as could be expected at a hotel and by all means was not horrible. It was not the best hotel food I've had but was pretty good. I have to say I don't really have anything bad to say about Pacficia. It really is a holistic retreat and my husband and I keep saying we wish we were still there. We definitely see ourselves going back in the future.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabo San Lucas
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa

Been to Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!