“Conrad Facilities with Garden Inn food and Service”

Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is the most disappointed I have been when writing a review. We stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort October 21st - 26th, and I couldn't wait to head home. We chose this resort because my wife didn't want to duplicate resorts, since we came to Cabo in 2010 for my 40th (then we stayed at the Barcelo Palace in San Jose Del Cabo about 30 min away). I personally wanted to go back to the Barcelo, as we had an excellent experience and I didn't want to risk a good vacation to the unknown. We selected this resort because it's adult only, it's close to downtown, it has a 4 Diamond AAA award, and 2 sister resorts, Sunset Beach and Rose that offer full access. So we arrive and upon first impressions, the resort and surrounding Pueblo Bonito properties are stunning as you drive in. We get into the lobby and here comes the 1st bad sign. We check in at the main counter at 3:45pm, but the room isn't ready, so we figured we'd just complete the main part of the registration and head to a restaurant to grab a bite. Nope. We do the whole putting a card on file for incidentals (we paid for an all inclusive package in advance through Delta Vacations) and are then told that we need to proceed to the other side of the lobby to the "Welcome" desk to get our wristbands. Strange right? We're right here at the front desk, and you'll take my credit card, give me a room key, but not a wristband? Well, turns out this welcome desk is nothing more than a high pressure sales pitch to get you to sign up to listen to their presentation on their time share units. Are you kidding me; seriously? I had to get a little more verbally aggressive with Hector at the desk than I prefer to, in order to end the damn sales pitch and give us our bracelets so that we can go and eat.

So, now we figure we will have a calming late lunch and cocktail to pass the time until our room is ready. Well, lunch options are pool bar and grill, which means burgers, wraps, or quesadillas; you have the deli, which is actually a gift and sundries shop with pre-made sandwiches in a chiller sitting over in the far right corner, or Siempre, the ala carte restaurant by the pool. We chose Siempre, but it had 85% of the same lunch options as the pool grill, with the additions of 1 pasta dish, 4 salads, and tacos. I don't know about most of you, but that's the stuff I eat from fast food for lunch when I am in the rat race at home, not what I want when vacationing. Also, this is our 14th all inclusive vacation between Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean, so we have a pretty good idea of what was reasonable to expect. So we both order a salad, and tacos. Now because it's almost 4pm, there are only 3 other tables seated, yet we didn't get our salads until 45 minutes after ordering, with the tacos coming an additional 20 minutes after that. I was so livid that my wife thought I was going to do or say something that was going to make the staff hate us for the rest of the visit. Now I cant speak for anyone else, but if I just spent almost $4,000 for air and land, I should be pretty pissed at this point. Food comes, average at best; we salt and peppered it to death.

We go the long route back to the lobby to see if the room is ready, and this is where I can say the resort is at its best. The grounds and facilities are beautiful and well kept; they do resonate luxury. We get our keys, go to the room, and it's just as nice as the rest of the resort; no complaints. Knowing that there are only 3 dining options we knew we would need reservations for 2 of the 3. Since we had a late lunch we didn't know what time we'd want to have dinner, so we agreed that we would just attend the "seafood buffet" which is standard for Monday nights. So around 9pm we walk down to the buffet area, which was still crowded and lively, only to find 7 food service flip top burners with little to no food left in them, and a poor selection that would have been disappointing even if they were full. We decided to walk over to the Japanese themed restaurant and see if they could seat us without a reservation since we saw that most tables were empty. They happily seated us, and the food was the best we had on the resort the entire 5 days. Their special house salad and the teppanyaki were excellently prepared, and had superior flavor. Day 1 comes to an end, and I am concerned.

Day 2 begins with a trip to the buffet breakfast at Siempre (only option on property). Split hot dogs on the buffet listed as sausage; need I say more? So I went with pancakes and hashbrowns and headed to the spa. Now the spa, simply put, expensive, but excellent massage therapist, and the newly renovated facilities are immaculate. Skipped lunch, and decided to order room service for dinner. Guess what, same menu as the grill: burgers, tacos, ect. Not a single non-sports bar type entree on the menu (and I am not talking about the late night menu). At this point we decide that we will take the shuttle up to Sunset Beach tomorrow and hope for better.

Wow was it better. The Bistro was amazing. The lunch menu is actually a menu, and has a variety of food that you would typically expect on an upscale resort. Service was great, food was great, view was great. Only problem, we had to leave our resort to enjoy this. Who wants to plan each day of their vacation around catching a shuttle at 15 after the hour or 45 after the hour to go and have a decent meal? Well at this point, I was all for it!

Day 3 we decide that maybe we could go to the Italian restaurant at the Rose sister resort, and have the type of experience that we had at the Sunset Beach resort. So I book a reservation for 7pm. I am then told that I will need to take the 5:45pm shuttle from Pacifica to Sunset Beach. Then take the 6pm shuttle from Sunset Beach to the Rose. I don't have to leave 1 hour and 15 minutes before a dinner when I am at home in Atlanta, why in the hell do they think I want to do that on vacation? Take a bus to another bus to go and have dinner? Cancelled reservation. Burgers in the room, AGAIN!

Day 4. Another excellent lunch and dinner at Sunset Beach, otherwise nothing of joy. There is nothing to do at this resort other than lay by the pool, walk on the beach, or sit in your room and watch tv. The so called sports bar doesn't open until late afternoon. It should really be called a lobby bar, as it's connected to the lobby, and there is nothing sports bar about it, unless the 2 tv's is the deciding factor. It serves no food; not wings, burgers, chicken strips, popcorn, peanuts, nothing that is available in any resort sports bar that I've been in. They didn't even go through the trouble of putting up a jersey or sports poster on the wall.

Day 5. Glad it's almost time to go home. That's sad. Bright spot, we had dinner at LaFrida. We paid for all inclusive of course, but you pay $20 per person to have dinner here. It was worth it. The food was as good as any meal that I have had in San Francisco, Las Vegas, or New York. Our end bill was $65 because I also had to pay for Kettle One martini's since that brand is too high dollar to fall under the all inclusive, lol.

In a nutshell, I really wish I had just gone back to Barcelo. I feel like I got punk'd out of my hard earned money on this one for sure.

11  Thank David_Thompson
PuebloBonitoResorts, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear David Thompson,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and for the pictures you provided us. We are truly sorry to hear you didn't have the experience that you were expecting, regarding the food and restaurants, we have 6 restaurants, with different dishes and styles, and as a guest of Pacifica, you have the privilege to use all other restaurants at our 3 sister hotels, well known in the area and added to our list of variety. We understand you didn't want to wait for an hour and fifteen minutes to get to our sister hotel but this is a complimentary service that we offer for the benefit of our guests, if you prefer a more flexible ride to Rosé we can happily get you a secure taxi.
We apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused you, and really hope you reconsider visiting us again in the future.

Mario Juarez, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,984)

Reviewed October 26, 2013

This property is a beautiful resort at the end of the road. This was my first time in Cabo and we chose a great resort to spend a few days in luxury.

The Good: The service staff is exceptional. The rooms are clean comfortable and perfectly maintained. The property is meticulously groomed.

The not as Good: The food was just, okay. Both in the main restaurant and the buffet's food was less than impressive. (if you do go to the buffet you will not receive better service than you will from Christian) We did have a great meal at the sister property "Sunset Beach" next door (1/2 mile away, also got hit up for time share during meal). This resort is at the end of the road literally.The beach is un-swim-able and you are a $12 taxi ride away from anything.

The Disappointing: Asked to attend a time share presentation at check-in. Drink service is extremely slow, everywhere on the property. Either to save money of keep the drunkenness down in an all inclusive environment.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to have great views. Top floors are always the best.
1  Thank Mike T
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Just returned from 1 week at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica resort. We did the all inclusive package and was surprised on our first day to discover how much that did not include. No premium alcohol and some "chef's dinner selections" ie lobster were additional charges. My husband and I have been to several adults only luxury all inclusive resorts and this one has a lot to learn. It's almost like the resort needs to decide if it really is going to an all inclusive or not.
The night life was non existent. We're not big party people but somewhere to get a drink past 11pm that is not in a plastic glass would be nice, or someplace to dance if you felt like it.
We were there for our 20th anniversary with another couple and the resort was aware of our anniversary, nothing extra was done for us that day.
A couple positive comments were the ability to use the other resorts. The restaurant La Frida was very nice and worth the extra 20 pp charge, Fellini's was also fantastic and worth the trip to town. Just recommend taking a cab directly rather than the shuttle into town.
The grounds were beautiful and the views fantastic.
The worst experience we had was our last day when our shuttle to the airport was not coming until 3:30 pm we were told our all inclusive was done at noon. We begged to at least get 1 room for both couples as a late checkout til 2pm. We even asked about paying to extend our privileges to 3:00 and were told we could not.
It wasn't an all bad experience but if you are expecting true luxury adults only all inclusive treatment this is not the place to find it.

2  Thank Mary D
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Don't typically write reviews but feel complelled to do so since my wife and I had such a wonderful experience at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica. The service is what sets this hotel apart from others resorts I've stayed around the world. My wife and I celebrated our anniversary and booked a private dinner on the beach to celebrate. Octavio was our server and from the moment we met him, our evening was outstanding. When we introduced ourselves to him and asked how he was doing, his response, " wondeful,I love my job and happy to serve you this evening". You have to admire someone who enjoys his work and Octavio exemplified through his actions and service. Octavio was instrumental in creating a special occassion for us. He was professional, efficent and worked the table seamlessly without interuption. We dine often at 5 star restaurants in the US and have to say Octavio offered the same if not better sevice. He made our anniversary experience a memorable one and for that I am grateful. If you book a beach dinner, request Octavio, he's truely outstanding!

2  Thank Ben C
PuebloBonitoResorts, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear Ben C,

We feel flattered after reading such a nice review, we truly appreciate the time you took to review us and your kind remarks about Octavio, we'll make sure to pass your recognition to him. It is our main philosophy to make our guests feel like home, and we are very glad you had a pleasant and relaxing private dinner by the beach.

Congratulations to you and your wife on your anniversary! Looking forward to welcome you very soon.

Warm Regards,
Angel S., General Manager

Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Pacifica from 10/17 thru 10/22. I will begin with the positives. The resort is gorgeous! Plenty of views of the ocean, lovely landscaping and truly beautiful. The resort is quiet and small. We loved this because you could walk anywhere in the resort in a view minutes, including the beach! The Siempre Restaurant was good, good variety on the menu and good service, pool restaurant had good food as well. The staff was awesome. They were friendly and accommodating, it was easy to plan tours and get reservations when ever needed. We loved that you could go to any of the Pueblo Bonita properties and eat and/or use their facilities if you do the all inclusive, they provide transportation to the bonita sunset as well as the bonita rose and Blanca in downtown Cabo. Overall loved Pacifica and would come back. Now for a few negatives. At times, it was difficult to get a drink from the pool waitress or get waited on at the pool bar. There really is not much happening once it gets dark, they had a band a couple of evenings out by the pool bar and that was nice. Be careful if you go to LaFrieda at the Bonita Sunset, they charge a $20 per person up charge if your doing all inclusive and they have this little drink cart they push around with nice drinks. My husband had a margarita and two glasses of wine and I had a martini and one glass of wine. They told my husband there was an additional charge for his wine but not for our other drinks. We were charged a $100 for our drinks!!! Overall, we loved the Pueblo Bonita Properties

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank TammyLee60
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Just returned from another great trip to Cabo and our fourth stay at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica! We had another incredible trip, attributed largely to the spectacular setting, incredible customer service, and our butler Jaime Arias Torres!

Jaime works from dawn to dusk taking care of his clients' every need. If he lived in the United States, he would be one of the highest-paid employees at a five-star hotel like The Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton. He was always available by cell and checked in with us throughout the day to ensure that our every need was addressed, including restaurant and spa reservations, shuttle service, and he even made recommendations on the best spots to purchase cigars and souvenirs. Jaime went above and beyond the call of duty each and every day of our visit!

Our room was clean and well appointed and we loved the upgrades and remodeling of the pool area. Dining at Siempre our first night turned out to be the best meal of the trip. We also loved the breakfast buffet (watermelon juice, pastries, etc.) and snacks by the pool, including the chicken quesadillas and highly recommended drink -- The Dirty Monkey.

The spa was a bit of a disappointment. Due to them remodeling the spa at Pacifica, we had to take the shuttle to Sunset, where the spa wasn't as nice. I requested and paid for a deep-tissue massage, but received a light Swedish. However, others in our party loved their massages so it may have just been my therapist.

The new all-inclusive program definitely draws a different, younger, and louder crowd -- this is good and bad. On the plus side, we loved the live music/band that played poolside a couple nights a week. The weather was fabulous and we enjoyed having a few drinks and dancing by the ocean. On the negative side, our last day by the pool the crowd was quite loud and rowdy by the swim-up bar, but for those who want a more tranquil environment there is another pool nearby.

All in all, we had another great time at Pueblo Bonito Pacific and there is no doubt we will return again! Many thanks to Jaime for his warm hospitality, unmatched customer service, charming personality, and kindness. He always makes us feel welcome. Jaime is an incredible asset to Pueblo Bonito Pacifica and I hope he is appreciated and rewarded for his hard work and exceptional customer-service skills! If you can afford to upgrade to a suite, do so -- and ask for Jaime!

Room Tip: We always upgrade to a suite, which gives us a personal butler who attends to many of our needs duri...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LasVegasLaura69

We appreciate your comments and taking the time for reviewing us, it's a pleasure for us to make guests like you feel welcome and comfortable. Hope to see you soon!

Best Regards,
Angel S., General Manager

Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I came to celebrate our 15th anniverary. Another couple came with us as well. We all absolutely loved Pacifica!
We (my husband and I) had and Ocean View Suite, Room 1151. I think this room was the best. You could see the ocean on all sides. Absolutely breathtaking! Our butler was Jaime and he went completely over and beyond our expectations. I cannot thank him enough for really making our trip the best it could be.
We stayed at the hotel most of the time, it was so peaceful, very zen.
We did go fishing one day, only a $12 cab ride to the marina. That was a great experience. While in the area of the Marina we also stopped by the Rose. Much busier than Pacifica. I noticed on that side of the beach lots of people trying to sell you stuff on the beach. At Pacifica the beach was completely private and all you could hear were the waves crashing on the beach. So amazing!
We all got a beach bed one day (included with the Suite) and it was so nice. Paolo was our waitress and she was wonderful.
We also ate at the Sushi restuarant and the food was top notch. Gregoria was a great waiter!
Seimpre was over the top good as well! Seriously the best food I've had at an all-inclusive resort.

We had dinner at LaFrida one night (at Sunset Beach), it was an extra $20pp. It was pretty good, but honestly it was so over the top that I felt overwhelmed after being so relaxed at Pacifica.

We are already planning our next trip for next year. October is a fantastic time to go, highly recommend. I just hope we can have Jaime as our butler again next year!!!

Thank you Pacifica for the Best Trip Every!!

Sonja Woods
Aledo, TX

Room Tip: Our room 1151 (Ocean View Suite) was perfect!
1  Thank SonjaWoods