“Could have been better could have been worse”

Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed June 9, 2008

First off the hotel is beautiful. Very simple and peaceful. The pool is very nice and quiet and there was never a problem getting chairs by the pool. The staff was very nice and helpful except one [-] which I will get to in a minute. There were a lot of shuttles to other affiliated hotels and taxi's were always available. The rooms were comfortable not great because the cable service is limited if you do want to watch TV and the bathrooms are kinda cramped. All in all I would stay there again but...............We went on a deal through an agent and the time share salesman are like vultures. Every time you turn around there is someone asking to give you "free" coupons or other stuff to sit through an hour and a half of a sales pitch. Dinner, sitting by the pool, phone calls in your room three and four times a day. The last day I told the day manager if the woman called us again I was going to report her to the ownership. Also, I am not sure of the chef's name they were hyping up but either he needs to examine his recipes or his staff because the food was not very good. Clumpy beans, badly executed mexican food and for some reason they serve you miso soup with every meal as a complimentary appetizer. I found this odd when I ordered a quesadilla for lunch? We had dinner which was very expensive with small quantities of food. Although we had teppan and it was tasty. By far the best food we had at the hotel. We had breakfast which was served to us cold including cold coffee. For a three or four star resort this was by far the worst food I have had at the worst prices. But according to a member of the staff "We should be happy with the food even if it was a little cold because of the deal we got on the room". If you want peace and quiet stay at this hotel and utilize the spa. But, eat at the sunset which is about a 5 minute shuttle ride. They have a great cigar bar and the drinks are very good. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 6. I would not pay full price for this hotel. If you can get it at the $300.00 for the week cost we got it great. Paying more than that would waste your money.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank mrocmortgage

Reviewed June 3, 2008

The pros: It's very quiet and secluded-- the beach is deserted, and there is no smoking anywhere. The pools are nice (not chlorinated, but somehow cleaned with some alternative system) and there is a nice breeze from the ocean which is always in view no matter where you are. The service is fantastic and very friendly. The restaurant there ("Siempre") is great-- lots of good food. The rooms are clean and really nice, with great patios with ocean views. The spa was great too-- my wife and I had great massages. the fitness room was adequate-- if you want to use it on a day you don't have a spa treatment, it's $15. Also, it's $2.00 for 5 minutes to get on the internet at the hotel's cafe.

The cons: You are a little far away from the town, so you have to take a shuttle to get anywhere. You can't escape the timeshare salespeople-- even at the hotel, an employee hit us up, and when they give you two free drink tickets, you have to get them stamped by a timeshare salesperson. We actually did the 90 minute timeshare pitch for $150 in food, a free breakfast and $100 at the spa and thought it was worth it. All of Cabo is a timeshare hell, so if you aren't prepared for this, go somewhere else. There is little choice for what to eat. You have to take a cab ($12) or shuttle to get into town to get more options for food. Also, the beach is unswimmable-- you have to go into town if you want to swim in the ocean.

1  Thank iron_monkey_fist666
Reviewed May 28, 2008

My husband and I just got back from a 4 night stay at the Pacifica where we had a wonderful and relaxing stay. I had read many of the reviews before hand and got some great tips on what to expect. The resort and grounds were absolutely beautiful--it's the only resort I've been to where the reality out shines the online pictures--and the lavender scented lobby was a nice touch. Some of the highlights of our stay:

-A room with a beautiful view: based on previous tips, we called ahead to get a room on a higher floor, which we received along with a nice plate of chocolates in celebration of our anniversary.
-A great pool: even though it was the long Memorial Day weekend, the resort was not full, and thus it was always easy to get chairs by the pool, even at 11 or noon (I've been at resorts where every chair is taken at 8:30am!). In addition, the chairs are nicely spaced apart around the two large pools, instead of packed together where you can't even walk between them. The pool itself was almost always empty, so we really got to relax.
-Hotel/spa credit: based on other reader's reviewed, we chose to go to the time share at the Sunset. It took longer than 90 minutes (we left at 9 and didn't get back until about 11:30am), but it was interesting, the breakfast wasn't bad, and it was worth covering much of our food and drink expense as well as a nice massage.

We only came across a few issues:
-We had drinks one night at Siempre before heading to dinner in town. My husband ordered a margarita and the bartender told us the tequila he was pouring that night, which we had not heard of, but didn't think anything of. When we got the bill, it turns out those margaritas were $20 each, as opposed to $9-$12 as they normally were. Even though it was probably our fault for not asking, ultimately we thought this was slightly deceiving.
-Our last day, they started construction on the pool bar, including very loud jackhammering. Not exactly the zen experience. We weren't that bothered as it was our last day, but clearly many guests took issue. The management issued a notice the next morning on our door that they would be willing to move guests elsewhere, but I don't think you'd want to settle for one of the other resorts. When the jackhammering first started, we went to the pool at the Sunset, but the pool at the Pacifica was so much better that we were willing to tolerate the noise. Not sure how long they will be working on it, so definitely check with them before you go.

Overall though, we would definitely go back again. For the value and experience, it was one of the best trips we've been on!

1  Thank Slyfox22
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Our first impression of the property was in keeping with the reviews we had read here - calm and tranquil. And as expected, we were approached with the "time share pitch", which we declined, and we were not bothered again. Our room was fine. I was quite disappointed to find that the hotel's promised "Wi-Fi" - turned out to not be so - they do have wired internet in the rooms, and they loaned me a cable - but you might want to bring your own, should you need it. Also the safe was too small for my laptop. The hotel's shuttle did work nicely to take us to town - Pacifica to Sunset to Rose - it works well & free.. saves on taxis & lets you see the other properties & you can eat/drink at the other properties also. The beach here is not really very good - not swimmable - and this resort is very isolated (which you may like). I did not do any massages after I saw the prices... everything here is extremely expensive.
On the third day here, we were enjoying my birthday lazying by the pool when the entire resort was abuzz with a wedding - the facility had decided to take on a wedding for 150 people, and it was just too big (IMHO) for a resort of this size. The entire pool area was disrupted by the catering staff running to and fro setting up all the arrangements and banquet for hours on end, and then they closed the pool area and bars hours early for the wedding. We left the resort for another PB for dinner, and when we returned found the reception still going at 10:30 at night - the music blaring all over the resort - not exactly tranquil. I did not blame the lovely young couple, indeed I wish them the best & was sorry that their wedding was likely not all they wanted either due to the cool & windy weather - but the PB management should plan weddings of this size in a facility where it does not disrupt the rest of the guests who are also paying to stay here and are not part of the wedding.
The next morning, I was quite unwell, having caught food poisoning from the La Nae restaurant the evening before. (we had wanted to try the La Frida but could not get reservations at it - they would not even answer the phone). It was all I could do, after many hours and Immodium, to go lay by the pool that day, and what do we find? Jackhammers & ply-wood sheets being erected at the pool! They had now decided to begin some sort of construction process on the bar & pool area. That day we turned in our 2 free drink coupons that we had been given at check in. Imagine my surprise later to find they were "NO GOOD" - apparently they were lacking a stamp (they did not tell us this when they took them) and were part of a time share presentation or something. I don't know about you, but if I'm going to the tine share thing, I want more than a beer & a diet coke! And I do not expect to be yelled at by the pool server over it! I went in tears to the room to lay down & my husband got it straightened out with the front desk, who did give us the drinks. Then we got a note that night, inviting us to check out & move to another PB facility if we chose, as "construction would be ongoing..." As we were leaving the next morning, we did not see the point, besides, one of the reasons we had chosen this one was "adults only" and some other features. When we checked out, I attempted to discuss these issues with the front desk - I got nowhere. But I did get a nice bill for dinners, snacks & drinks, which are very expensive. So, if you go here, I hope you have better luck of it than we - perhaps there will be no big weddings or construction & better weather (though I think it may just be windy all the time here) As for myself, I will stick with "all-inclusives" in Mexico from now on - I'd rather have a junior ocean-front suite at one of them and know exactly what I am getting!

2  Thank snooksinK.C.
Reviewed May 26, 2008

If you are looking for a peaceful night of sleep away from the party people, this is a fantastic hotel.

My husband and I came here for a wedding and it was recommended by the mother of the bride that this was a good place to stay. We also reviewed the tripadvisor postings, and thought it was a wonderful place to stay.

When we first stepped into the grounds, we were immediately welcomed and handed a fragrant (chamomille?) warm hand towel to wipe our hands and face with. We heard from other tripadvisor postings that we would be bombarded with timeshare offerings. Fortunately, we did not have that problem. We told them we were just here for a short time for a wedding, so we were not bothered at all.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We had no problem with service. After our room was cleaned, we get a schedule of events for the next day (beach walk, yoga, etc...) and robes and slippers. Our room had a balcony with a great view of the beach. We can hear the waves crashing against the beach. It was so calming.

This hotel is away from everything, so if you are expecting to go out to the town, expect to use a taxi. ( Or go to a closer hotel and action like the Me Hotel.) Another option is to use the free shuttle to the nearby sister hotel, the Sunset hotel, and transfer to another free shuttle to town to the Bonito Rose hotel can take you closer to town.(somewhat inconvenient because it comes every 1/2 hour).

I thought I mention some other things that might help. We reserved our flight and hotel as a package from Expedia. They say this would dramatically reduce the costs. We flew Frontier Airlines. It was our first time in Cabo, so we did not know what to expect. They take American dollars, so no need to exchange money. We took a large bus from the airport using the transportation service by the rental car kiosks and baggage claim area. We weren't sure if it was a legitimate service, but since it was inside the airport we thought it was ok. It ended up fine and it only cost us around $16. The bus stops at any hotel along the Tourist Corridor depending who else was on the bus. Just know that the Pacifica is the last hotel on the route so it may take more than an hour to get there. It felt as it took us a long time getting all the tourists on the bus and then getting to the hotel. Since it was a first time here, we did not mind as we got to see a lot of the tourist corridor along the way. We heard that instead of taking this bus, it might be better to secure your reservation using Expedia and using the Greyline bus.

Other pluses is that the hotel is gated and only people staying at the hotels are allowed in. We were only here for a short weekend, so we did not have a chance to try the restaurant. I hear the fish tacos are excellent.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2008

After searching multiple websites, including traveladvisor, to choose our honeymoon hotel...we settled on PBP. Despite the warnings, we still got duped by a hotel-appearing person that had pueblo bonito paraphenalia on, but was actually peddling another company's time share. After our driver identified himself, we were quickly whisked away to the included transfer to the hotel.

PBP is truly breathtaking. From the moment we arrived on the campus, there was a sense of serenity. The scent of the hotel, which we purchased from the hotel spa store, is a truly heavenly mix of eucaluptus. We were greeted by a friendly and pleasant staff, and given freshly cooled towels upon check in. The staff apologized for the mis-representative in the airport, but then advanced their own time share sales pitch. I will say that for the morning (2-3 hrs) spent at PB Sunset, we got $100 for dinner at any PB resort, tequilla, $100 spa treatments, parasailing for 2, and a sunset cruise for 2. That was pretty awesome, our activities ended up being paid for!

The room was lovely and overlooked the ocean. Yes, you can't swim at that beach, but I didn't feel that "swimmable beaches" at the other resort (PB Rose) were that safe either. I got tossed around a bit in that water. So, perhaps Cabo just isn't that swimmable? The pools at PBP are truly gorgeous. Around the time of sunset, we'd take the short 5 minute ride up to PB Sunset and its' Sky Pool to watch the sun drinking delicious cocktails.

Unlike other commentary, I found the food in the hotel restaurant to be exceptional. (And a great way to spend that $100 from the time share tour!) We truly enjoyed yoga classes, the gym, the pools, the firepits, etc. For a more lively atmosphere, we'd hop up to the PB Sunset (where we would NEVER stay) and do happy hour at the sunset pool. The entire resort complex PB Pacifica and PB Sunset have amazing views of the sunset. After mixing with smokers and kids at PB Sunset, it was a nice retreat to take the 5min trip back to PBP.

Something that MUST be done is dinner on the beach, with the bed rental. It was a wonderfully magical evening, despite the fact that they screwed up our reservations somehow. We actually confirmed it twice! Nonetheless, the staff was extremely apologetic and quickly remedied the problem. By the time we were seated and watching the sunset, it was as if the mishap never occurred.

My husband and I strongly recommend PB Pacifica to those seeking respite and peace. It's definitely not a party hotel, and if you want that stay at PB Rose or PB Sunset.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2008

We loved this hotel and hardly ever left. We ate in the restaurant almost every night and had lunch by the pool every day. With that said the prices were high and we paid for the convenience of not lifting a finger. It was worth it to us. The people who work at this hotel are wonderful and we actually got to know them. Loved the employees who work at the pool and the activities director was so much fun. She got my husband to play volleyball several times in the afternoon and I did water aerobics. Would definitely go back. And it is totally worth doing the time share tour to get the $200 credit for food and drinks.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple