“50th Bday Celebration in style”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We choose the Riu Palace based on the reviews. We have stayed at other all inclusive resorts and love cruises. I wanted something special for the big one. After reading about the room types, I had to go with the ocean front jacuzzi suite. It was amazing, a corner suite with amazing views, a 20 foot balcony overlooking the ocean. We ordered a full breakfast from room service almost everyday. We were a bit worried about the reservation issue we read about. But luckily for us, it was not a problem, we were able to attend any restaurant any night without a problem, and not have to get up at 7:00 am! The food was excellent in all the restaurants, we loved the Sushi restaurant, and had the best service ever thanks to William! Krystal was awesome too! the buffett was great too, it was so classy, just like being on a cruise. They enforced a strict dress code, no shorts and the Men had to had sleeves. The in room bar really impressed us, unlimited beers & water stocked daily, as much vodka, rum & tequila you ever need! We went to the disco once, and it was fun. Going to town is a blast, a 12.00 cab ride. We enjoyed parasailing, jet sking, and for my birthday, we did the zip lining tour! more like a boot camp. We recommend Cabo Adventures, about an hour and half out of town in a lush canyon. This Hotel was way better than the Santa Fe next door. Excellent room and food, and the staff is friendly and always cleaning!
My only complaints:
If your a wine drinker, like myself, bring your own, as I did. We didn't care for the shows, would rather walk on the moon lite beach! And my biggest complaint would be the beds, we had a King in the best room and it was pretty bad. They should definetely invest in a pillow top bed and a better wine selection. But overall, I would recommend this Hotel to anyone and I would go back to same room!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jacuzziqueen

Reviewed October 21, 2010

We stayed here Oct 13th-17th. We were suppose to stay in Playa Mujeres Excellent Club, but our flight was canceled due to hurricane weather and we didn't want to lose a day of vacation so we came here. We were very disappointed. Our oceanview suite had a terrible view, we tried to upgrade to oceanfront but none were available. The room was very musty and outdated. We had two full sized beds that were pushed together. We were not the tap water was undrinkable but it said not to in the information book in our room. You have to use bottled water to brush your teeth and our minibar never got restocked with water. We had to call 2-3 times a day to get water!!! The restaurant reservation system was terrible!!!! You could only book 2 restaurants upon check-in and not the Krystal, they said we would have to come back at 7am, which I did, but you can only book it the day you wanted the reservation, which they did not tell us. The food was just ok, service was terrible, and we tip very well!!! The restaurants make you feel very rushed and you can only order certain drinks at each restaurant (margaritas and beer mexican, wine and beer at the Steak house and Krystal) no other mixed drinks like vodka can be ordered at these restaurants! Also who wants to get up at 645am to make a reservation while on vacation???? There were roaches in our room and crawling up the wall at the Krystal restaurant, the pools were dirty, the views from the pools and bars were incredible!! We were disappointed with the rooms , service, and quality of food. We will not go back!! The spa was also not worth the money, very average with poor facilities! We would recommend going to an Excellence Club, worth every penny! Also at one of the restaurants they had written our room number down wrong they had written 1034 instead of 1039 and the man argued with me and was very rude, he said " We don't have you written down and we have all of these people waiting behind you, I don't have time for this!!" Then I pointed out our name and he said I hadn't told him that room number!!" He never apologized!!!

1  Thank ousooners
Reviewed October 20, 2010

We stayed at the RIU for our honeymoon. We had one of the best rooms overlooking the ocean and we had cockroaches in our room. We complained to management and they provided us Raid to kill the cockroaches, we could not be upgraded because they had nothing to upgrade us. We had the most miserable time. Roberto Miller who is the Director surprisingly has no authority to do anything assured us that he filed a complaint with customer service, and someone would get back to us. We have sent numerous emails to their customer service department and called customer service and no one has responded back to us. This hotel is a scam when it comes to taking care of their customer. Oh by the way we came across another couple during our stay that had the privilege of having cockroaches in their room too. I am still waiting for someone from RIU to respond back to me. It's been close to a month now, and my credit card company (Virgin America) won't help me either, seems like I am out of $1400. Do not, I repeat do not stay at this hotel. The beds are hard as a rock

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kkrazy123
Reviewed October 20, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Riu Palace for 5 nights recently in an oceanview junior suite. It was our first experiment with the all-inclusive option in hotel stays. We couldn't have been happier that our first experience was with this amazing hotel. From the moment they put a "welcome" margarita in our hand at check-in to the tearful goodbyes my wife shared with Azucena, a truly professional customer service agent, we were made to feel special.

As others have mentioned in previous reviews, cleanliness seemed to be a top priority with the management. Our room was spotless and well-appointed, every day. No matter where we went in the large complex, we always noticed someone cleaning the floors, polishing the woodwork, tidying up the beachfront, etc. We even witnessed a worker cleaning the grout in one of the pools!

The service was great. The waitstaff in the dining rooms were always pleasant and remembered who we were on repeat visits. The waitstaff managers occasionally came by our tables to check if we needed anything additional. It's obvious that the hotel employees are well-trained in paying attention to detail. On one occasion in the La Ventana bar, when we waited a little longer than normal for our drinks to arrive, the manager came by our table to check up on us. Our drinks arrived immediately afterwards. Even the pianist remembered us on a repeat visit and played our favorite styles of music. This kind of attention really impresses me.

The location of the resort is excellent, in my opinion. You have a great view of Land's End from the beach, the pools and the bar areas. You can't actually see the gate of El Arco from the beach, and the cruise ships blocked the view of the rocks somewhat on a couple of days, but those were minor inconveniences. The ocean water was beautiful and the power of the waves coming onshore - six foot plus at times - was dramatic. As others have said, this is not a beach for swimming

The quality of the food was average most of the time. There were plenty of choices at the buffets, so we didn't get bored. We had reservations at three of the restaurants, Mar de Cortes "Steakhouse", San Jose "Mexican" and Misaki Japanese. The first two would have really disappointed me if I wasn't on an all-inclusive plan. As stated before, the service was excellent and the staff tried hard to please, especially at the Mar de Cortes where the head chef remembered my wife's birthday and served her a special meal of steak and lobster. But otherwise, the food was cafeteria fare, at best. The exception was the Misaki restaurant. It is a designated, beautifully decorated Japanese restaurant, unlike the other two we visited. The food was well presented and delicious, and as usual, the service was excellent.

I can't complain about the quality of the libations. If you order a call drink, you get a good mix and I didn't feel they were watered down. My only gripe was the beer selection: Tecate and Dos Equis, period. I stopped drinking the beer after a day and just stuck with the mixed drinks.

Although the service was excellent 90% of the time, the poolside and beachfront waitstaff were a little slow, but pleasant.

Although I have no complaints about the quality of the beds, we were awakened almost every night at some point by loud voices or slamming doors. I suppose sound carries quite well in a hotel made of tile, concrete and wood. In all fairness, although we didn't call the front desk to complain, they informed us after the fact that they have security to handle these situations if notified.

All in all, we had a great experience at the Riu Palace and will visit again.

1  Thank mimart
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Stay was 10/14-10/18. I have been to several all inclusives in Riv. Maya so am comparing to the best there. Service and cleanliness A+. Food B+. I agree with the other reviews from the same week...bar pools were not clean. Restaurant reservation system needs improvement. Dined at the Steakhouse and Mexican specialty restaurants- both were good.
Did you know you can use the pools and dine at restaurants at the Riu Santa Fe next door? The Asian resturant looked amazing. Wish we had tried it. Infinity pools at Santa Fe are wider and bigger than the Palace but liked the Palace overall better than the SF.
Weather was fantastic! 85-90 each day with lows in the 70's. Never wore a jacket.
Room noise is my biggest complaint. Had to switch rooms after the first night due to late night heavy partiers next door. I will request the quiet side next time.
Beach was beautiful and so were the views when cruise boats were not docked right in front of scenery...2 days out of 5.
Took a taxi into town- TIP- you can reduce the cost of a taxi ride if you go in a group of 4 or more, rather than 2. We learned that on our last day there. FInd others that want to ride into town with you and save 50%. Cabo Wabo and shopping at the flea market and other stores were fun.
Marina- took a ride to the arch in a glass bottom boat and took pictures of sea lions, pelicans at Pelican Beach and Lovers Beach....all very beautiful. Saw a great place to snorkel at Pelican Beach, calm waters and lots of fish. Go early to avoid crowds.
Funjet rep, Monica, a gem!
Spa- Skip it!!!!
Entertainment- just ok...have seen much better.
Location - great..not too far from town.
Would definetly return to this resort.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We usually travel to the Caribbean, and stay at Sandals properties. However, coming from California, the travel portion eats your time and sanity. So we opted for the Riu Palace in Cabo. It was a great stay, with some likes & dislikes. But defiintely would return again.

Accomodations: Rooms are nice, beds hard like everyone says. If you're looking for something just steps away from the beach, this isn't it. The property is large & rooms are set way back.

Pool Areas: Well designed, really nice. Only complaint: both swim-up bar pools needed more water chemical maintenance - the pool water was gross, did not want to go in.

Bars: The Ventana bar is the best! View is unbeatable, Luis the bartender is tops! All the bars were well situated and designed nicely. Luis the bartender manager is also tops - loved is 007 impersonation!

Beach: As everyone has said, definitely too rough for swimming. But again - the view is unbeatable.

Food: I'll say fair to good. Our only complaint: The restaurant system. Aside from the lousy reservation system (well commented on by others), it was the fact that they had prescribed seatings. So there wasn't any atmosphere with dinner, any lingering or conversation, too impersonal. We felt rushed.. You couldn't just show up. The Sandals comparison: Sandals takes reservations thoughout the evening, no set seating times. On restauarants without reservations, you can just show up whenever you want. That's what we missed with the Riu. But hey - Riu charges far less per night, so if you wanted to go out for an evening for dinner, no problem. To that point: one evening we dined at the Sunset Mona Lisa - an absolute must ! The best food, best sunset scenery! Truly a memorable evening.

Entertainment: The evening band was good, but they needed to change their songs or even the band itself for variety. Also, the band was situated upon a high balcony-type stage - too impersonal. Okay, here's the true gem: At the Ventana bar from 6:00 to 8:00 - Elizabeth the singer-pianist. Get a martini (or whatever you like) and just chill in a seat listening to her. Ella's music was the best part of the trip for us.

Staff - the friendlest staff - great people.

Knowing now what to expect, we would definitely return. But would wish the Riu would change their restaurant system and abolish the seatings for a good dining experience.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PalmTreeAddict
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We just returned from a trip to Cabo from 10/14-10/17. First off, our travel agent Melissa with Berman Travel was awesome! I was working to plan a wedding in Cabo which is where this trip was derived from...my plan was to go do a wedding venue investigation. So from the get go, Melissa was super helpful and fun to work with. We scratched the wedding idea so this trip became a leisure trip to celebrate my fiance's 40th b-day. When we arrived in our room, it had been decorated with b-day items (thank you Melissa) which was a very nice surprise. So I'll try to make this review to the point and simple. PROS The hotel was super clean and the staff very friendly and attentive. I felt like the location was great if you were looking to be fairly close to downtown but not in the middle of it. We did not experience a loud party crowd, so we were able to achieve the relaxation we were interested in. There was an entertainment staff during the day, although we didn't see much participation from guests. There are two pools, so even if the "activity pool" was hopping, you could go to the other side where the quiet pool is. There was also nightly entertainment but we did not choose to attend so I can't speak to the quality. The beach is super clean, but not swimmer friendly in our area. We took a water taxi over to see the arch and beach then onto the marina, highly recommend that. We did a zipline tour with Canopy Costa Azul, I recommend the variety this tour provides and the quality, very fun staff. CONS The only person on staff that we did not enjoy working with was the restaurant reservationist. She was not very friendly OR helpful. If you are interested in making restaurant reservations, do it prior to arrival (only 2 restaurants allow advance reservations). We were told they were all booked only to see that the restaurants looked pretty empty. Honestly, after making it to one reservation restaurant Saturday night, it wasn't really worth the fuss. We also asked her about making a reservation at Ruth Chris for us and she told us they were booked. We took a taxi into town to find out ourselves, and walked right in. Not sure what that was all about. The food is pretty descent for Mexico, but go with the right expectations. The other con for us was the moonlight couples massage we had on Saturday night. The concept and location were nice (private terrace overlookiing the beach) but the quality of massages were just not that great. We didn't walk away feeling like we had had a professional massage. So that's it...Berman Travel rocks and I would recommend the Riu Palace.