“The Riu Palace is awesome!”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Denver
“The Riu Palace is awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2010

First of all, I want to say it was an awesome vacation and we love the Riu Palace! This was our second trip to the Palace so I’ve had a chance to get a good feel for the place and I’ll try to review it without bias. The one recurring theme we experienced during the week was the level of service. The workers there, without exception, from the lowliest maid and maintenance worker up to the head manager and maitre d’ were exceptionally professional & very friendly. I cannot stress this enough, the service we had was exceptional!

Our room – It was a Jr. Suite which is slightly bigger than an average hotel room. There is a nice separate sitting area with a TV and a balcony. The view you get depends on what you pay for. We paid for an “ocean view” but wound up with an “ocean front” – just luck of the draw I guess. An “ocean view” can be deceiving though. You may only get a glimpse of it or you may get a full on real view. The only way to be sure is to pay for ocean front, if the view matters to you. The maids do a nice job of making up the room daily and turning down the bed each evening. The mini bar was stocked almost daily and we never ran out of anything. You’ll have beer, water and sodas in the fridge and 4 different bottles of booze to choose from, not bad.

The food – Here’s where you’ll have a lot of different opinions. I thought the food was just fine. It’s not great, even at the specialty restaurants, but it is good and there’s lots of it. Most of what you’ll find is typical buffet type food. Breakfast was the best of course because it’s hard to mess up eggs and the usual American type of stuff (pancakes, waffles, bacon, sausage, etc.). There was always a lot of pretty decent fruit, cheese, and breads. The specialty restaurants are decent and a nice change of pace. What they lack in quality, they make up for with exceptional service and atmosphere. If you’re a wine connoisseur, you’re SOL. They offer “white” or “red”, sort of funny really. But I did find the Cabernet to be very good, it’s from some place in Chili. For you beer enthusiasts (as I am), stay tuned, I'll share some thoughts on this below.

The grounds – They are awesome! I found them to be very well maintained and groomed. There are two huge pools and two other smaller pools with swim up bars. All have the nice infinity view of the ocean. The pool staff was, again, very friendly and attentive to the guests. The drinks are served in pretty small cups, but you can have all you want and I even saw that some guests brought their own larger cups with them. The bar tenders did not hesitate to fill them. The waitresses will even take them and bring them back full if you ask.

The entertainment – Every night there’s some type of show. Sometimes you’ll get an off-Broadway (way off) type of show like Momma Mia or Grease. I found them to be a bit cheesy, but entertaining, especially if you like that sort of thing. They really do try to do a nice job and some of the dancers are pretty talented. My wife loved them. Sometimes, though, you get what seems to be almost an impromptu show and they’ll pull audience members up on stage and have fun with you. Sometimes it’s hilarious, sometimes not so much. Overall though, we enjoyed most of the evenings there.

The activities – So here’s the negative part of my review. I have learned by experience how to avoid being ripped off and how to have a much better experience with a few things. If you want to take a water taxi from the Riu Palace to where ever, I would highly recommend walking past the beach side activities counter at the Riu and just walk out on the beach and yell for a taxi. I promise someone will come running. The problem with getting one from the Riu directly is that for one, they make you lug around a life vest and return it to them. This can be an issue if you’re taking the taxi to town to shop or goof around. Also they’ll make you walk a mile down the beach to get the taxi and won’t drop you anywhere close to the Palace. Depending on how high the waves are that day, you could wind up walking half way to town or the best case scenario will be next door at the Riu Sante Fe. If you go out on your own, with cash, you’ll get far better service, a closer drop off point, no life vest, and you won’t have to wait for the taxi to fill up before leaving either. I found the same to be true for renting a wave runner. If you have cash and want to walk just bit down the beach, there are better deals to be had and you’ll get the same experience cheaper and without all of the resort rules and hassles.

Other misc tips –
• Be especially nice to the gal who makes the reservations at the specialty restaurants and she’ll bend over backwards for you. If you are demanding or rude with her, you’ll get what’s coming to you. That little lady has the power to hook you up with reservations or make it nearly impossible to get in where you want.
• Check out the station making Mexican coffees during the shows. It’s near the bar area and pretty cool to watch. My wife loved the drinks.
• A taxi to town is $12 (up to 4 people) each way and is a very convenient way of getting around. The bus to town, which can be caught from the Riu Sante Fe is less than buck each way. It seems safe (during the day) but it’ll be an old school bus-looking thing with no A/C. It’s actually kind of quaint and a good way to save some pesos for in town shopping and drinking. The front desk at the Sante Fe can provide all of the details you’ll need to catch the bus.
• This is not a good hotel choice for people who have trouble with stairs because there are lots of them. There are elevators and a few ramps, but it’ll be very inconvenient if you have to use them all the time. This is a big resort and you’ll definitely get a work out getting from one end to the other. Not necessarily a bad way to work off a few of the unlimited cervezas, but a real hassle for elderly people or anyone who can’t do stairs.
• And finally, BEER – this is my passion. I am a home brewer and fancy myself as somewhat of an expert in good beer. There’s none at the Riu though, at least not what I would consider really good beer. However, the good news is that if you like the standard Mexican lagers, you can have all you can drink. I did drink more than my fair share of Dos Equis amber (even average beer is good when it's free) There’s plenty of the usual suspects you’d expect as well like, Corona, Pacifico, Negra Modella, etc. You’ll even come across Budweiser and some Miller products in town as well. The ONLY microbrewery down there is Baja Brewing (based in San Jose Del Cabo) and no one knows about it. The only location in Cabo San Lucas is on top of the Cabo Villas in town and has one of the best views in all of Cabo San Lucas. If you’re used to good microbrewery type of ales, you’ll probably find the beer to be just average. But for Cabo, it was pretty darn good. Try the Cactus Wheat if you get a chance. The best I had was their Pale Ale, which goes well with the thin crust pizza, which was very good.

1 Thank Jdawg3232

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,575)
  • Polish first
Sacramento, ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

We had stayed with RIU before in the RIu Palace Las Americas, Cancun. Therefore my review is to compare this hotel to the other RIU resort I have stayed at.

Food: Cheap buffet quality. The only good thing was taco stand in the buffet. The sushi night was a joke. In 7 days, the food was pretty much the same. Deserts were horrible, and probably made out of the box powder. Even mashed potatoes were made out of the powder in the box. All in all I give it 2 out of 5, compared to RIU Cancun.
Management: The pool was cold throughout our stay. Hotel had the ability to heat up the pool but did not do that, even thou numerous people complained. At night air cools down to 60 degrees and throughout the day time there seems to always be a breeze.
Entertainment: Nightly entertainment was a big disappointment. It seemed like they were testing new program on us.
All in all it was OK trip. If I haven't stayed in RIU palace Las Americas, I would probably enjoy it more :)

on the good note: The property was spotless, service was amazing, and rooms are great.

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

My wife, two daughters, and myself arrived Saturday June 5th. Never had been to Cabo before. The land looks very much like our ranch in the Big Bend area of Texas, which amused us. The trip from the airport via the toll road was quick. We arrived at the Riu Palace only to find out Hotels.com had screwed up our reservation, and booked us for 2 people, not 4. The Riu offered a $700USD solution. Hotels.com offered a $1800USD solution. This after 30 minutes on a cell phone at $1.56USD/min calling international. So, our entertainment budget took a big hit, but oh well. Despite our obvious frustration, the staff at the Riu bent over backwards to remedy our situation. During our stay, every staff member we came into contact with was ready to help, greated each of us with pleasantries, and offered to help for even the simplest of tasks. We had room 1140, by the activity pool. I heeded the ear plug suggestion from previous posts, and slept very well. The bed was ok.
The food was great, but we are not hard to please. We ate at each of the specialty restaurants, and liked them all. The evening shows were entertaining. It was hard to figure, but we believed the weather forecast for 100F and sunny. Instead, the weather went weird, and we froze to death. It was VERY cold at night, very windy day or night, and the wind had a cold crispness even during the day. For a weather buff, I noted daytime average shaded real feel temperature high for the week of 76F, and a nightime reel feel low of 50F. If you could manage being in the sun and out of the wind, you were all right. Even the locals were freaked out about the unseasonable weather. The waves were huge, and it was a red flag for swimming the whole week, but as cold as it was, this did not bother us to much.
We managed the usual touristy jaunts (The Hard Rock Cafe & Sammy Hagar's Cabo Wabo), and we tried something different for Cabo we thought, a trip to Baja Brewing's Cabo San Lucas location. Interesting beers, and great food. I recommend this place. We enjoyed the in room frig full of Pepsi, Pepsi Light, Mirinda Orange, 7Up, bottled water, and Dos XX's. Never did touch the 4 bottles of liquor in the room, since we managed getting tanked enough outside of the room. Would have like a Mexican Coke, but I guess Pepsi got the hotels contract. Still, a soda with real sugar instead of corn syrup like we have got in the states was a treat for us, whatever the brand. We used our laptop each morning in the lobby where wi-fi was available. Had no problem with valuables laying about in the room. The Riu is a place to chill. And that we did. Can't imagine going back to work now. Ughhh:(
The pictures I submit of the Riu Palace weres shot with a Canon 5D Mark II. The photographer (me) is a rookie. Enjoy the photo's and the RIU PALACE CABO SAN LUCAS!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

The RIU Palace in Cabos San Lucas was absolutely stunning. They had great service and they treated us like family. I would def. come back to this resort.

Service: It was excellent! The helpers were so friendly and treated us like a family. They took care of you and was always making sure you are having fun at the resort. They had tons of games by the pool area and made sure no one was bored. It was entertaining. If you plan on going soon look for Enrique and Robbie, they are so fun and hilarious.

Room: We had the ocean view and it was incredible. They clean your room 3 times a day and it's spot list when you return to your room BUT the only thing i had an issue with was the maid stealing a few of our things. We had to lock up our belongings. We didn't report it bc it was nothing major, but couldn't believe they would take our things. After that we didn't allow them to come into our room until our last day. SO lock up your belongings they will take whatever they see.

Location: I love the location. Cabos is beautiful and I would go back to Cabos again, maybe in a few years.

Wedding: I have been planning my wedding at the RIU Palace for a year. Our wedding day was perfect. Nothing went wrong, everything planned out perfectly and wish i can go back to our wedding day bc thats how perfect it was. It was romantic, intimate, emotional, and happiest day of our lives. We worked with Monse, she was very helpful. She helped us with our rehearsal, booking our dinners for rehearsal and wedding day, and making sure everything planned out accordingly how we want it. We brought our IPOD to play our music. The food was fanastic. What can i say I have to complaints at all.

Resturants: Food was excellent, but what I didn't like was booking to eat at the San Jose, Steak House, Krystal, and Misaki. It gets booked fast and we had 40 guests with us and it was hard to book for 40 so we ate at the buffet alot. We got tired of the buffet, but the food was still great.

The Resort was perfect and we just got back a few days a go. All our family and friends keep talking about the trip bc they had a blast. We had an incredible time at the RIU Palace.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

My husband and I went to Riu Palace for our honeymoon and it was the best vacation ever. The place is so beautiful, the staff is great, greeted you upon arrival with a refreshing margarita, we arrived late and yet we still got the same attention as everyone else. The room was spacious, comfortable, and the view was amazing, and not to mention the room service. It is an all inclusive hotel, and it is always a plus to be able to pick up the phone at midnight and order in some food because you have the munchies. The entertainment staff was the best ever thanks to Robbie, Norma, Juan, Papi Chulo, Nora, and Sergio for entertaining us and befriending us, we felt like family at the Riu. The attractions are lovely and inexpensive you can do almost any activity right there on the beach and the restaurants are amazing. You have to make reservations but that was no problem at all, the food at each specialty restaurant was delicious and a great atmosphere. Thanks to FunJet and the Riu Palace for making our Honeymoon the best vacation ever!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JNLVazquez
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2010

My husband and I just got back from a week stay at the RIU Palace and we liked it alot!!! I was a little hesitant at first due to some of the reviews of the food, but we absolutely LOVED the food. We only ate at 2 specialty restaurants, japanese and the steakhouse. The japanese was good, but I wish that it was tapenyaki. The Steakhouse was actually really good. They served an appetizer of cold crab, shrimp and a couple of other things, it was decent. We ate with another couple that we had met and we all commented how good the steaks were. We chose to eat at the buffet for dinner we loved it!!! They have a good array of food to choose from, on all the buffets, breakfast, lunch and dinner were delicious. I saw a couple of reviews about "foodie" people, well I'm quite certain, for this price, the resort is not trying to come off as a 5 star dining spot so you will get what you pay for!! There were always plenty of spots by the pools to lay out, so no worries there, the unfortunate thing is that the pool is kinda cold, or VERY refreshing, if you will. It's also a little dissapointing that you cannot lay out by or go into the ocean, waves are just too rough, but really great to watch and listen to!!! The rooms are kinda small but we just used ours to rest our heads, and shower so was quite sufficient. Now to the service, my husband and I were sooooo impressed with the wonderful service we received. Our favorite was Alex at the buffet for breakfast and dinner. He is just great and very attentive, highly recommend sitting with him if you can. When we got there my husband requested a top floor room. They were so nice and saying not a problem sir, we will get one together for you right now. An hour later we were in our top floor room with a nice ocean view! Other staff all over were quite attentive to our every need, kinda of a nice surprise. Now to the bad :(, unfortunately, as others have written, the beds are pretty uncomfotable and the walls paper thin. The workers are up pretty early making lots of noise. The hallways are tiled so everthing echoes!! OH WELL, that was probably the worst, not a big deal!! All and All we feel we got what we paid for!! If we wanted better we would certainly go to a more expensive resort or just rent a condo in town!! Also for those that like to workout, well the fitness center is quite small and dated equipment, it was good enough to get by on vacation, and we had problems with people staying on the cardio equipment too long, they were obviously not work out people so not quite sure why they would go on vacation and suddenly become work out peeps, but whatever!! Had a great time anyway!!

2 Thank xray35
Madison
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2010

Stayed for a week in January 2009. VERY friendly staff, good drinks, pristine area, and above average food. We ate at all the restaurants and were not disappointed by any - above average for an all-inclusive. Sure, the steak you get will not be 4-star steakhouse quality, but it's a decent steak. Had no problems with the dining reservation system. Entertainment above average. $10 cab ride to cabo san lucas, or you COULD walk the beach, which might take you 45 minutes, but you can stop off at many beach bars along the way to re-hydrate (I recommend The Office). Room was clean, well stocked, nice although small patio (but big enough for 2 people to sit out there), no problem with noise.

Sometimes I think the people that complain so much are just hard to please. We're an easy going couple and really, really enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
#40 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,559 reviews
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#17 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,206 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!