“would never go back to this hotel or recommend it to any one ever” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
va
“would never go back to this hotel or recommend it to any one ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2006

We just returned from a 5 day stay at the Riu and found the hotel to be very disappointing. We had to move to a new room 3 times in 5 days because of broken AC, and smelly rooms. On the 3rd try we just gave up and stayed in the mildew smelling room but at least the AC worked. It was horrible. Everthing in my suitcase had to be washed when we came home, it all smelled. The bed was so hard and uncomfortable you could hardly sleep and the whole bed smelled like mildew. To top it off, when we went to use the iron, a huge cockroach came out of the closet. We also got sick by the 3rd day of our stay, and i am still not feeling well.
Yes the grounds and pool are very nice, but for the price and agony of the terrible rooms i would change my plans if you still can if you plan to stay here. This experience was shared by 2 other couples we were with Don't Go.

• Liked — pools
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — don,t stay here
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank kleba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,548)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2006

I read pages and pages of reviews on the Riu Palace before going on my trip. There were many helpful tips so thank you all! Here are my 2 cents:

Check in took over 20 minutes and we did not receive a welcome cocktail. We had to go over to the bar and get it ourselves. That was a little disappointing. We flew in w/ 2 other couples and we were all led to rooms that were either not ready or already occupied. When we finally got to our reassigned room it was beautiful, but it did smell. Very moldy. Not pleasant, but it was still a beautiful room w/ a beautiful view. The bed, however, is as bad as you have read. Hard as a rock. We (along w/ the other couples we traveled with) requested a pillowtop - - repeatedly over 3 days and never received it. All of the doors stick, too. Badly. The bathroom doors are the worst. You literally have to give it a good 5 or 6 pulls before it opens. The mildew smell stays on your clothes when you leave, so beware. We had to wash our clothes several times before the smell came out. Gross.

The food was hit or miss. The breakfast buffet was great – excellent food and a great variety to choose from. The Japanese restaurant was very good. We ate in town one night and that meal was amazing. The Golondrina is a great restaurant and we had a lovely dinner there. My husband and I split the Surf and Turf platter for 1 and we were stuffed!! The lobster was HUGE. I believe it was under $50, too. Great deal!!!

Moths. Everywhere. Just be prepared. Some are the size of bats so it’s a little creepy.

DO NOT SWIM in the water. It is not a swimming beach and I cannot stress this enough. I saw a lot of people ignore this and get pulled under the water very, very quickly. I had several friends lose jewelry, sunglasses, their tops (!) in this very strong water. It is a very dangerous beach and they post red flags for a reason. Stick with the several pools at the resort. They are lovely and SAFE.

Overall, it was just ok. Not great. I wouldn’t go back again and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. We went with a great group so we had fun anyway, but the resort needs work.

• Liked — Breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — The horrible smell, dangerous beach, so-so food
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
7 Thank Lcab
North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2006

Cabo is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. The marina area offers everything you want to eat, drink or explore. The night life is awesome and offers a great variety for everyone. Everywhere we went outside of this resort we found the people to be friendly and generous. The views will take your breath away.
The RIU was a big disappointment. We had to move rooms three times. (We had paid to upgrade rooms) The first room had mold growing on the walls and the odor took our breath from the moment we walked in. The second room still had a musty odor but wasn’t as strong so we decided to “air it out” and get on with our vacation. When we came back from the pool that afternoon and discovered the air conditioning was broken and bugs had taken over our room. We called the front desk to let them know and they told us that they could not do anything for us until the next day and they would move us then. No offer to send someone to fix/check out the AC. It was 100° that day. We awoke (hard to sleep in the heat) the next morning and watched a gorgeous sunrise from our balcony. In search of coffee we headed to breakfast. Flies were all in the indoor restaurant. In search of “Safe” food we decided they make the omelets in front of you so that should be safe. In the mushrooms that they were using was a big dead fly. I alerted the cook of the fly and he didn’t blink an eye, so I thought maybe he doesn’t speak “good southern English” and I made a face and pointed out the dead fly in the mushrooms, thinking he would throw all the mushrooms out, he looked at the fly and I never saw him throw it away. O.K. so much for an omelet, all I need or care about is coffee this early in the morning (7:30-8:00) anyway. As I am enjoying my coffee a “bat moth” was flying across the indoor restaurant and landed at the buffet. The management was eating at the back of the restaurant and never seemed alarmed. I know they knew about the creature because I am sure everyone in the restaurant heard me shouting “look at that” while pointing it out as it landed on the buffet. I was amazed that no one seemed to care especially the management. We go to the front desk to inquire about room #3 and they tell us that we were supposed to bring our luggage back to the front desk at eleven and then come back at 1:00 to check into our new room. We informed them that the evening before they had told us to come to the front desk after 1:00 and they would change us. She checked and said that they had put us down for a room change but since we had not brought our luggage back to the front desk at 11:00 we would have to wait until the next day. Trying to be a nice southern belle I remained calm and informed her that they didn’t tell us that we basically had to check out at 11 to get a new room at 1 and that we do not have AC are infested with bugs and could she please help us out. “Sorry we do not have anymore rooms we’ll move you tomorrow.” So much for "catching more flies with honey" but I guess they have so many flies they don’t need any more. I informed her that she could get us moved or check us out because I was not spending another night without AC, especially with what they are charging us per night. Suddenly a room became available. We get to room #3 it was clean and had a great view but instead of having two double beds we would have to share a king; well as long as we had AC we could live happily with it, not that we had a choice. It was in room number three that I saw a sticker on the bathroom mirror that said the water wasn’t safe, no sticker in room 1 or 2. We have traveled to Mexico several times and every resort we have stayed in has had a purification system in addition to the bottled water to drink, I blame my travel agent for that one because we asked him if the resort had purified water and we were assured it did. What are they washing veggies with? Where does the ice come from? No big deal just not a pleasant surprise.

Mini bar: Everything you want, great service, they refilled ours daily which we tipped him everyday also.

Maid Service: Never seen one, MIA? I don’t know. Her tip was gone ($5) but nothing had been done and we had to track down clean towels. We called the front desk and requested they clean our bathroom and unclog the drain. The maid came in with a towel and wiped down the bathroom, no cleaning supplies to be seen. Then she used the same towel to wipe off the table. YUCK!

The Spa: Not a real full service sap, more like a nasty overpriced beauty salon that has a few additional services.

Room Service: If you fill a card out and hang it on your door by midnight they will bring you a few choices for breakfast. It should be a law that to call it “Room Service” you have to be able to pick up the phone and have food brought to your room on demand. At least during normal eating times, breakfast, lunch …you get the point.

Food: We were under the impression that they had several options to choose from. They have an indoor buffet and an outdoor grill/buffet that is open limited hours and turns into a steak house in the late afternoon. The steakhouse and the other restaurants are only open limited hours and require reservations. They do not offer any 24hr food. If you do not like buffets your SOL. We stocked up in town with munchies and sandwich stuff because after the breakfast bird-flu scare we ruled out eating at the resort.

No problem we didn’t go for the food, we went for the drinks, sun & fun. Too bad we became horribly sick with what I believe was food poisoning and couldn’t enjoy anything at all. In fact while we were at the resort 2 out of 3 people we talked too had been sick, was sick or with someone who was sick. Be careful!

I would not recommend this resort to anyone. I feel that it is extremely overpriced and has very poor customer service. It was very dirty and did not meet my expectations for a resort of this size and star rating. I was a true fan of AI’s but I have seen the bad side of an AI at the RIU and I will never take that chance again

• Tips/Secrets — Plan for the worst, hope for the best
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
11 Thank lifeisgood2me
New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Riu Sept 23-Oct. 3....a very long trip! We used this site quite a bit in finding details to book our trip, so I feel the need to leave our feedback to help others. We took this trip to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. This is our second time to Mexico; first to Cabo.

Hotel:

Breathtaking grounds and views...if there is one thing you won't forget it's the view from this resort; unlike any other in Cabo in my opinion. The place was exceptionally clean...I am not sure how many people they employ to upkeep; but they do a wonderful job. Check in took about 5 minutes, wonderful service. The room was great....not stinky like many people noted. We tipped our maid $2 USD the first day; $1 thereafter and our room was always spotless, even had champagne left one evening and bed was turned down with those little towel animals the next. Additonally, our mini bar (they claim is restocked every two days; was replenished daily, because of our tip?) Do not keep any food in your room...tiny ants will find it! I do suggest a top floor room, the view is wonderful.

Bar:

Drinks were good, the bartenders are really hard workers and do a great job. Tip your favorite and you will get great service and better drinks. Ask for the Don Julio tequila early on in the night becasue they claim that only one bottle is around each bar......note: if you tip well, a bottle somehow apprears... :)

Food:

The only downfall to the trip. The food was really bad. Buffett. Buffet. Boring and repetiive.....good if your stay is only about 5 days or so, but longer (honeymooners!?)...ugh.... The specialty restaurants were not much better, the steakhouse-steak and pork were so tough and chewy, Japanese my chicken was very dried and again chewy, and the Gourmet place we had the filet mignon that was overcooked and had no flavor, in fact looked like it had been frozen for years. The only meal we both said was ok was the Mexican place; go figure. We both realize that you are in a different country and they do things differently, but for a 6 star resort? I had trouble with this only as we have been to 3 other all-inclusive resorts and have had excellent, 5-6 star food as well. Additonally, we both got sick, me the second day, and my husband the 5th day, and we pretty much were not the same the entire time. Plan to eat Immodium like Skittles as well....

Entertainment:

Great! Lively and fun. The disco wasn't too bad either.

Pools:

Amazing, however the swim up bar was nasty; filled with yucky floating stuff all day (drinks I'm sure) and it just looked gross. The main pools were awesome.

Town:

The Riu is so close to downtown...we went into town a few times and had a blast. Definately go in and have dinner/drinks-the scene is fun. (We had dinner 3 times just to have "real" food). For our anniversary we went to the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar and ate at their "Pituhanyas" restaurant.....6 star and truly that, fine dining and a wonderful setting.

Excursions:

We took a glass bottom boat to Lover's Beach, a must if you go to Cabo. We also did the Pirate Ship Sunset Cruise (Buccaneer Queen)....awesome time, highly recommend!

General:

Bring lots of $1 for tipping, at least 30 SPF-the sun is super strong and we came back really tan. Think about breaking the trip up if staying longer than a week at two resorts, we did that for our honeymoon and it was a great way to see things. Bring Pepto or Immodium even if you never have taken it, you will need it and it costs a fortune there. (FYI, many people got sick that week after taking to them; not just us). Negotiate taxi fare before you get in. Do not stop at the "Tourist Info" booths in town, they are timeshare. When shopping bargain, we got some nice things for an ok price. Although english is widely understood, it helps to learn a few key Spanish phrases before you go, pull out that high school textbook you never opened! :)

Overall the trip was very good. The Riu is a 6 star resort with 3 star food, just don't go with any expectations.

We also have been to the Mayan Riviera and stayed at the Xcaret Grand....rated 5 stars and it is wonderful....also been to Aruba and stayed at the Bucuti Beach resort, and the Renassaince Hotel there. We have been to the Dominican Republic and loved the Sunscape Punta Cana Grand.

Please feel free to ask us any questions! Hope this helps!

Adios Amigos!

• Liked — The views of the Sea of Cortez meets the Pacifc
  • Disliked — Food
  • Tips/Secrets — don't bother to rent a car, taxis are safer
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Spicy22
Baden ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Riu Palace Los Cabos from September 25 - October 2, 2006 for our honeymoon. After reading all of the reviews on here I was a little worried but we had an amazing time. The flight was fine and we had no problems at the airport, we were probably out of there in 20 minutes. Also there were no time share people in the airport at all. Once we got outside there was a man from Sunquest who told us which but to get on. The ride to the resort was probably 40 minutes, but very scenic and very enjoyable.
Check in at the hotel was so easy. When we got inside we all went to the lobby bar where they had an envelope for each of us with our room number, key cards,towel cards and safe lock. It took us only 5 minutes to do this.
Our room was beautiful. It was just the standard room but it was just fine for the amount of time we spent in the room. We had a partial ocean view and we couldn't see the pools or anything but it was okay because it was quieter and we had more of a private balcony. We didn't have any problems with weird smells at all. The bed wasn't the softest, but it was okay. The maid gave us a survey to see what time we wanted her to come in the mornings, so we filled it out and had no problems whatsoever with that.
We enjoyed the food. Breakfast was really good, we had pancakes almost everyday! There was a lot of selection. Lunch was very good as well. Always a good salad bar and lots of fruit, along with good burgers and hot dogs and lots of other meats and vegetables. As for the specialty restaurants we only ate at the Steakhouse. We liked the supper buffet well enough that we only somewhere else once. The steakhouse was nice. It was outside and we sat overlooking the ocean. It was beautiful. We didn't have any problems with flies or anything like that either.
We spent everyday sitting and relaxing by the pool. It was great! There were people who came around and got drink orders, and the drinks we good. The big pool was clean and I don't know about the pool bar because I wasn't in it. It was so refreshing to go in the pool because some days the temperature was 102!
We only watched the nightly entertainment a few times. It was okay, nothing special.
Overall, we had an awesome time! It was a very relaxing honeymoon and we would definetely go back the the Riu Palace again!

• Liked — Beautiful pools
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
16 Thank amybergsma
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2006

When I first looked at some ot the review on this site about this hotel I'll admit I was a little past concerned. I don't know what hotel you guys stayed at, but it couldn't have been the same place I stayed! I am a airline employee and have had the pleasure of being able to travel a lot of different places in the world. With that said we have also stayed in some average to excellent hotels. Me amd my Fiancee booked this hotel anyway because the price couldn't be beat. I may not be able to give this hotel the perfect five, but its pretty close in my opinion. The staff here makes up any points lost anywhere else. THat's not to say this hotel was lacking at all. You just pay more attention to excellent service. We stayed in room 3018( which had a beautiful view) You could see the Sea of Cortez, Lands End, and the city of San Lucas. Our room was very clean, very comfortable, and no musty oders to report as others have said. Everyday the cleaning personel made us a different animal made out of towels. It may sound corny, but it was cute. All guest recieve a fully stocked mini bar(remember you're in an all-inclusive resort). The food in the resturaunts ranged from good to excellent, it just depends on where you ate. The Japenese place was the best in my opinion. The Italian place was Great! The buffet was only average(but hey its a buffet, what do you expect) Yes, you did notice a small amount of flies at the buffet. But no at all like it was described in other reviews. The buffet is outside (well at least until nightime) with a beautiful view of the sea. Everytime I've eaten food outside when its that warm In the states I can tell you flies were the least of my concerns. The problem is you have a bunch of stuck-up Americans that make us all look bad. I mean seriously guys you are in another culture and country try to consider that! Sometimes I am ashame to say I'm American by just seeing how others act when we're in another country. The world is not you playgound! While it is here for everyone to explore. You ever wonder why we have the name "The Ugly Americans".
Okay Im getting lost in another topic. The pool was great. Loved how they had the activity pool seperate from the adults pool. We mostly stayed at the adult pool. From what I can tell the kept the activity pool busy with.........Activities! The hotel staff did an excellent job of keeping guest entertained. There is a club, plenty of bars and plenty to do. THe only problem is it is very easy to get so caught up in the hotel itself(Expecially since its all-inclusive). You shoud definetly get out and see what Cabo San Lucas is famous for......beaches, the arc, water activites, the marina, nightlife, etc....

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
22 Thank kayoticworld
Dallas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2006

We stayed at the Riu Palce Sept 17-23. We both got sick and 1.5 weeks later my husband still hasn't recovered.
The room was ok and overlooked the ocean.
The crowd, however, is one step above spring break. Of the 5 night we were there, we were awakened 3 nights with folks screaming outside.

Stayed September 2006