“Awesome service even during Hurricane John”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #32 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
St. Louis, Missouri
“Awesome service even during Hurricane John”
Reviewed September 10, 2006

We stayed at RIU Palace Aug. 29 - Sept. 5 and got married there on Sept. 3. We were supposed to have 25 guests, but due to Hurricane John only 8 were able to make it. I can't say enough wonderful things about the staff at this hotel. I am not sure why other people that stayed at this resort said they were evacuated, but the staff at RIU moved us to a safer room on the inside of the hotel and we heard nothing about evacuation of the hotel. The hotel is only 2 years old and was built to withstand a Category 5. The staff kept weather updates at the buffet door and at the front desk from Wednesday through Sunday and as we sat in the lobby and watched, the staff tried to accomodate everyone and help them make arrangements. We heard horror stories about guests at other hotels and the way they treated when we were at the airport on our way home.

The day Hurricane John was supposed to come, they provided
us with more than enough bottled water, extra towels, and after we had breakfast in the buffet that morning, they gave us bag lunches to take to our room in case the storm was too bad to go back to the buffet for lunch. They also said they would deliver dinner to our rooms if the storm was still too bad at dinner. Once John didn't hit, Saturday morning, the hotel staff began to put the hotel back together, they opened the Lobby bar, and began cleaning the pools. By Saturday evening, they almost everything back to normal. We were supposed to get married on Saturday, September 2, but we had to move the wedding to Sunday, which was fine. The wedding coordinator, Adriana, did everything she could to accomodate us.

Be sure to bring cash as there is not ATM at the resort and although it is all-inclusive, tip $1 or 2 tip here and there for the staff as they work very hard to make the stay enjoyable.

We would go back in a heartbeat and will always consider RIU properties when we travel. We would definitely recommend RIU.

12 Thank dlinstl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,607)
  • Polish first
Texas
Reviewed September 10, 2006

Absolutely a beautiful hotel! My husband and I stayed at the Riu Palace to celebrate our 15 yr. wedding anniversary and had an amazing time! The service was impeccable and the staff were all so very accomodating. The food was just average at the buffets, but the dinner at night at the restaurants were GREAT. Be sure to make your reservations as soon as you check in at the hotel because reservations are hard to come by. That's definitely something they really need to work on. That process was very inconvenient, but if you are lucky enough to get a reservation...the food was fabulous!

The only negative thing I can really say about this hotel was the noise from them constantly doing lawn work, tile work, etc. EVERY SINGLE day for almost the entire day you would hear lawn mowers, weed eaters, blowers, etc.. and it was very disruptive. They were mowing grass that wasn't even there. Very frustrating especially when you wanted to lay by the pool and get some peace and quiet. I understand you have to maintain lawns, but every single day for hours was a bit much and not necessary.

Other than that, the rooms were nice although the A/C didn't work too efficiently, but it was still ok.

This hotel is beautiful and the views are incredible. We would definitely come back and stay at this hotel.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Noisy - too much lawn work
5 Thank kdeann
Baltimore
Reviewed September 10, 2006

The Riu was impressive and the Jr. Suites were spacious. I went with my two sisters and our daughters, one coming from Seattle while we came from Baltimore and PA. There are not many ocean view rooms. We had to move our rooms (which the hotel was happy to do) because there was a rooster that woke us all up at the crack of dawn!! Apparently the rooster is somewhat infamous at the resort. The one thing that we noticed was the spotty service. The hotel is fairly new and it seemed as though there were plenty of employees cleaning, but not enough servers. We thought maybe they were still not prepared for a large amount of people.

The best bet is to go and get your own drink at the pool or even at meals if possible. The food definitely got old over the 6 days we were there. The buffets were the best choice. The Mexican restuarant was not good. We also tried the steakhouse which was not that good either. With the exception of the ice cream machine and the scooped ice cream, the deserts were terrible. Since this was my first experience at an all-inclusive, I enjoyed being able to get a drink alcoholic or non, whenever I wanted, and it was great for my 8 year old daughter as well.

The difficult thing about the meals was that you had to stand in line to make reservations at the "signature" restaurants. We found the buffets to be a better choice especially with children.

There were two pools, the quiet pool and the "fun" pool. The fun pool had volleyball, water aerobics and music blasting all day. We would visit the fun pool, but mostly stayed at the quiet pool because it was not as crowded and you could get a chaise easier. The pools were average on the cleanliness scale although there always seemed to be someone cleaning portions of them. There didn't seem to be much supervision at the pools to make sure that they stayed clean...i.e.potty accidents etc.

The rooms definitely smell of sulfur and rotten eggs and are musty depending on the time of day and how the wind blows. Some kind of air freshener is definitely a good idea.

The beach is not walkable. It is severely slanted towards the water with huge waves. We took an excursion out to Lover's Beach and took our lives in our hands trying to get onto the launch. With scrapes and bruises, we made it, but it was pretty dangerous!!

All in all, we had a fun relaxing time. I would not go here if you expect exemplary service. My sister had been in Cancun at an all-inclusive and said that the service was excellent. The staff at the Riu was friendly, just not always available.

• Liked — all-inclusive
  • Disliked — smells in the room
  • Tips/Secrets — bring air-freshener
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
9 Thank Chabs
FLORIDA
Reviewed September 9, 2006

I am a TRAVEL AGENT so I have been around. PLEASE READ!

Our trip was for August 31 - September 7, 2006. Hurricane John was heading to Los Cabos as a category 4. During the day before I called reservations to see if I could change locations, I could but there would be so many air penalty fees. The reservation person said it probably would not hit Cabo. Upon arriving in Phonex during connecting flight - flight attendent said to call hotel to see if they were still taking reservations. I called they said no, GOT OFF PLANE. Some stupid supervisor from US Air said unless US AIR, received a call from RIU stating that they were cancelling reservations they would not change our destination or cancel our flight. I called RIU - they would not tell US air that. SO THEY WERE SENDING US TO A CATEGORY 4 Hurricane. We looked at each other and said = LETS GO!
There were about 30 of us on the plane which had 250 seats.

We arrived in Los Cabo to our private sedan was waiting, The other side of people trying to depart was standing room only. On our trip to the hotel - there were cars stopped for miles trying to leave - we even saw people walking to the airport. I was getting sick to my stomach! What the heck were we doing?

ARRIVAL AT RIU:
We arrived to the most beautiful hotel - only to see luggage all over and people waiting to hop on a bus, car limo what ever they could to get out. We went to check in. I asked why did someone say the hotel was not closing. They said the rooms are safe. There was not a bell hop to help us to our room they put us in Room 1020 - facing Lands end Rocks.

OUR ROOM:
It was ok. You have two double beds put together to form a large bed, there is one step down to a "sitting area" where there is a love seat, table and TV ontop a dresser. The bathroom - was weird, it had the tub/shower somewhat enclosed but on the sealing was mold! The commode had two buttons to flush.

Veranda - was ok - no chairs because put in bathroom for hurricane, but after done - we put it out.

HOTEL - every thing was taken down - fans, chairs, water emptied from pools, pictures. light bulbs. One bar opened.

DURING EVENING - TV had announcement all visitors must evacuate to higher grounds..... HOTEL SAID "DONT WORRY"

STAFF DURING HURRICANE:
On Friday, Sept 1st at 7:30 am while we were still in bed the someone knocked at door. I opened the door this maid stuck her head in and started to speak spanish. I told her I do not speak spanish the other maid went to get someone. The one who had knocked at door looked in and saw my husband trying to get out of bed and looked at me and was laughing saying something in spanish to the people down the hall. Finally a supervisor came and said they wanted to hurricane proof the room. I said give me 10 minutes (so we can get dressed) = they never came back.

On Friday am Breakfast BUFFET - we were given a bag lunch and was told that hurricane John was on the was on the way and we should stay in room. Dinner would be delivered to our rooms. UNLESS YOU SPEAK SPANISH there was no TV to watch because we could not understand. RADIO was the same.
We waited until 7:30 pm and then I called - where is the dinner. OOPS! We have the buffet we are not going to deliver dinner.

AND NOT A SHOW, or BAR OPENED. You had 6 beers in your mini bar. and BRANDY, VODKA, RUM and TEQULIA (?) not a setup to make your own drink during two days.

The hurricane did not actually hit Los Cabos it went to the next town up, but there was mud slides that we actually saw going into the Sea of Cortez from the hotel. We were not allowed even to walk on the beach - ARMED POLICE! Even when it was ok. It took two days for them to put everything back up..

AFTER THE HURRICANE:
I was mad. This resort is not cheap! But you pay for the view. It is a beautiful hotel. All understaff has smiles. Administration has a problem. You have SPANISH supervisors and Mexican workers, Because they were at less than 33% occupancy they did not open some of the resturants until visitors started to come back. Some peoples flights were cancelled even on Monday and RIU Administration would not give financial break.

The food was ok. (my husband is a chef). I hated the Japan, the GOURMET was not, near gourmet, I liked Mexican and the steak house finally opened on Tuesday (the day before we were leaving).. it was OK.
The food was always over cooked. And what I had thought that Mexican food was the main part, There was not much. It was more spanish type food.

THE BEACH - you can't go in the water and you have vendors selling stuff on beach (pushy),

We went on excursion to glass bottom boat ($50.00) a mini van picked us up at hotel took us to boat and we had 45 minutes to shop at a MALL. I asked the person were the markets were and he said we would have to take a cab. I was disappointed but everyone was very pushy one even said "You mean I cant try to RIP you OFF?"

CHECK OUT:
When we went to check out - the person pulled out a paper and said you owe us money, I had to pay the full amount no discount for the days of the storm. we did not get the full benefits from the resort we paid THREE DAYS at FULL PRICE~ You would think they would have discounted it because of the storm.

IMPRESSION: I will not sell this property. DO NOT GO DURING HURRICANE SEASON - even if they say they do not get them, there really is one. Management is too unorganized to handle this type of situations. By not cancelling reservations for the anticipated category 4 hurricane, they put their guests and staff in harms way. This is totally Unexcusable, What if that was a direct hit? This could have been catastrophic. They kept us informed by placing a MAP from weather station by the enterance of the BUFFET (it was only in Spanish) which indicated that we were going to be a direct hit. BUT DON'T WORRY you will stay in "SAFE ROOM". Also when we were checking in we heard the Hotel/site manager was totally amateurish upon checking in mass confusion, he said, "They want to check out, fine were open and thats the way it is" so if you had checked out early - you still paid for your entire stay,

• Liked — THE VIEW. AND HOTEL WAS BEAUTIFUL
  • Disliked — THE MANAGEMENT. VERY FEW PEOPLE SPOKE ENGLISH
  • Tips/Secrets — STAY AWAY DURING HURRICANE SEASON.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
12 Thank SELLINGCRUISES2U
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed September 8, 2006

I've used this site so much in researching our honeymoon over the past 8 months that I have to post a trip report....

We were there Aug 27th - Sept. 3rd. The first few days were heaven - beautiful weather, great people, etc. We did the ATV tour, the Garyline city tour, wave runners and snorkeling. Unfortunately, Hurricane John canceled our sunset cruise that was scheduled for Friday.

It did take us a couple of tries to get into our room. The first time, the room they gave us was already occupied. The next room had 2 double beds (not optimum for a honeymoon :). The 3rd try was perfect - directly in the middle of the activity pool on the top floor. The room was very nice, fridge was restocked every day and we never heard a peep from the hallways or other rooms.

The food was *ok* at the buffet. There was so much food that it was fairly easy to find something you liked. We ate at the steakhouse and the Mexican restuarant. The steakhouse was ok, but we really liked the mexican restaurant. The food was good (not great), but the view/atmosphere/etc was awesome. We were sitting right on the rail overlooking the ocean. We had plans for the gourmet on Sat. night, but JOHN had other ideas.

We did get downtown a couple of times. We hit the usual haunts (Cabo Wabo, Squid Roe, etc). We had dinner at Cafe Dorian and The Nowhere Bar, which were both on the marina and both were pretty good.

Overall, we enjoyed it. It was our first experience with an AI, so we weren't exactly sure what to expect. Yeah, there were a few flies, the food wasn't 5-star gourmet and there was an occasional sewer smell. But, there was also a beautiful pool area, gorgeous beach area and meticulous grounds.

• Liked — location, atmosphere
  • Tips/Secrets — don't go during hurricane season
12 Thank ericbegins
california
Reviewed September 7, 2006

After all of the terrible reviews I've read about the Riu in Cabo, I wasn't sure what my husband and I were in for when we arrived in late August. I understand that everyone has their own perspective, but come on, most of the reviews that claim the Riu is awful are very exagerrated. Let's face it, we're all just normal people looking for a nice, relaxing vacation. And that's exactly what the Riu gave us! We had a wonderful time in the week we spent at the Riu and would recommend this resort to anyone.

ROOMS: The rooms were great and our view was awesome. The maids were great and had our rooms cleaned every day. My suggestion would be to leave a generous tip every day to ensure your room is cleaned. That's what we did and we had no problems with the service.

POOL: The pools were as clean as they could get. The only thing we noticed was sunblock on the top layer near the stairs, but that's bound to happen when you have so many people in a pool in 95 degree weather. Remember, in order to enjoy yourself on a vacation, you have to actually RELAX and not be so uptight. Once you learn to do that, you realize that overall the pools were very clean at a perfect temperature. More than what most of us have in our own backyards back home. And the views of the ocean from the pools were incredible!! We loved every minute of our time spent in the pool, sunbathing, relaxing, and drinking pina coladas and daquiris!

FOOD: We loved the food!! Our favorite restaurant was the Gourmet, with the Steakhouse coming in second. Neither of us are a fan of Japanese food so we didn't try this one but it looked great! The daily buffets were very good. Yes, it's virtually the same menus everyday, but they had a large variety that you could easily pick and choose from. The only downfall was the Mexican restaurant. But again, you have to take into consideration that it was our choice to visit Cabo during a very hot and humid time of year. And since this restaurant sits out on the beach front, it was full of moths attracted to the lights. This, combined with the humidity, didn't provide us with the best experience but I do believe that if you visited Cabo during a cooler time that this restaurant has great potential. Having said that, the food overall was great and was much more plentiful then what I'm used to at home!!

The overall thing to remember is to relax and enjoy yourself! Remember, you're on vacation!! If you nit-pick at everything, you'll never be pleased, no matter where you stay!! Overall, this resort was breathtaking and provided us with a relaxing week off from the daily stresses of life. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Cabo!

13 Thank spaintrip
Hamilton,Ontario
Reviewed September 3, 2006

My girlfriend and I travel ALOT, and love going to Mexico 3 or 4 times a year. This was our first trip to Cabo San Lucas, as we usually go to the caribbean side (Playa Del Carmen being our favourite). We decided that because it was hurricane season, that we would be "safe" and go to Cabo! Well "John" took care of that notion. Anyway, we were there for 3 days and here is my asssessment.

Check-in: Very smooth. This resort is large, and they have their act together getting you to your room quickly. If you dont like your room, they will change it for you without hassle. They are very friendly at the front desk.

Rooms: Most have "partial views" of the ocean. There are only 24 rooms in the entire resort that are ocean front rooms with full ocean views. We moved to one "3027" and it had a nice view of lands end. The bathrooms are ok, but with ceramic tile, not marble etc. The beds are ROCK HARD. Get the pillowtop, but be warned, its still gonna be hard. And sadly yes, the rooms do smell. Combination of mustiness (its extremely humid there this time of year) and sulfur or rotten eggs. It all depends on the wind, because sometimes its worse than others. Incense would be a great idea. Walls are thin, and you can hear the maids gabbing in the hallway every morning. Mini fridge is well stocked every day.

Service: The service in the hotel is very good. The maids do a nice job and the bartenders are friendly and fast. English is very spotty everywhere except the front desk.

Food: Not good. The food here is more like the "old Style" all inclusive, not like many of the new 5 star all inclusives. The buffet is unimaginative and you will get bored FAST. There are 4 a la carte restuarants. The Mexican is embarassingly GROSS. It has no air conditioning, and this time of year it is beyond hot and humid... completely infested with moths and insects. I am amazed that people actually eat there (we lasted 2 minutes). The Steakhouse is actually the outdoor lunch buffet area, with a different menu. Not fancy at all. Because of the hurricane we never got to eat at the fine dining or the Japanese.

Resort: It is Very Large. The layout however is very puzzling. It is not easy to get anywhere conveniently. The pools have no bridges, and the elevators are sparse and poorly placed. You will be walking and climbing stair ALOT! That was fine for us, but if you have small children or are elderly, it could become a bit of a nightmare.

Pools: Both swm up bar pools are small and yes GROSS! They just arent big enough for people to be hanging out in all day without becoming gross. I am not sure what the bacteria level is, but dangerously high sounds about right. Lots of people get sick at this resort, and I am convinced the swim up pools are a big reason. Anyone who sticks their head under that water must be nuts. The other two pools are large enough to handle people in them all day, but not the cleanest I have been in. Nice designs however with infinite ends ovelooking the very scenic beach.

Entertainment: Decent family cheese, but I questioned some of the costumes for kids (umm revealing??)

Beach: Breathtaking and beautiful, but not for swimming. The waves break hard here and are very dangerous. We took a wave runner out and had a great 30 min ride in the bay. I was almost seriously injured when we came back in however as a giant wave knocked the wave runner on top of me. BE CAREFUL!

Overall Rating: This is a 3 1/2 star resort, not a 5 star. If you are looking to go somewhere and get your party on with a group of friends, then you will get your money's worth. I predict this is gonna become a spring breakers dream, if it not already has. If you are looking for a romantic getaway... not so much. There is really nothing elegant or romantic about this resort.

Hurricane Note: We arrived at the Riu On Monday. No information regarding the Hurricane was being given to us, even when we asked. We were slipped a note from our tour operator in the middle of the night (2a.m.) Thursday, notifying us that we had to be ready to check out of the hotel and board a bus at 8:20 a.m. No refunds or vouchers have been offered. Vert dissapointing as to how it was all handled.

• Liked — Location, staff
  • Disliked — Pools, Food, Smell
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring Incense for your room
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#41 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!