“Loved The Riu”

Ranked #32 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
new jersey
“Loved The Riu”
Reviewed August 31, 2006

My husband and I recently returned from the Riu. After reading the scathing reviews, I wonder if the people stayed at the same resort as I.

We travel quite extensively, and I realize everyone is entitled to their opinions,but can they be that drastic. Anyway, here's what I thought.

TRANSPORTATION from APT: Make sure you look for your transportation company, they are usually located outside the the terminal. The people inside work for time share companies, and you'll get sucked in to their presentation. A SIMPLE NO THANK YOU, and they will leave you alone.

CHECK IN: Very smooth and quick, within 5 minutes we were on our way to our room.

ROOM: Very clean, Our room was located in the lower level right on the beach, with a great view on Lands End. Great location, only a few doors from the activities pool. The maid service was excellent, mini bar restocked daily-room was clean by the time we got back from breakfast.

FOOD: The Breakfast buffet was excellent, food was constantly replenished. The Dinner buffet was ok, better than expected. The Steakhouse was good, but the Gourmet and Japanese restaurants were excellent.

POOLS: We clean I didnt see anything floating around in them. We spent most of our time in the Activities pool and the Swim up bar. They close the pools at 7:00p every night for treatment. I would have liked them to be open later, but oh well. Plently of beach chairs, could use more umbrellas as the sun is HOT!!

GROUNDS: Immaculate, the grounds crew were always cleaning, pruning, etc. Be careful walking the tile is very slippery when wet.

BARS: TONS OF FUN- the bartenders were great. Dirty Banana's at the pool bar - YUM!!!! The drinks are weak so just ask for a "floater". If you want top shelf liquor you have to ask.

ENTERTAINMENT: was ok - remember this isnt Broadway

MUST SEE: Lovers Beach. Just walk down the beach a bit and take a water taxi (we paid $10 roundtrip) Pack a lunch and beverages, as their is nothing out there - JUST BEAUTY. Good snorkeling.

The beach is nice, but not the nice powdery sand like in the Caribbean. Beach is pretty deserted, as the surf is pretty rough. But if you want to swim in the ocean, just walk down the beach a bit to Medano Beach it is much calmer and swimmable. It was fun haggling with the vendors on the beach - DONT PAY FULL PRICE.

We went into town one night - Hit the bars - CaboWabo, El Squid Row and Giggling Marlin.

I would definateluy return to the Riu Hope this review helps -

• Stayed August 2006
13 Thank mojohito

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,622)
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed August 30, 2006

The grounds were beautiful, the Mexican people are lovely. You would not go to this part of the world for beach time. The waves are too rough to swim in, no matter what day or season..the Pacific is not for a relaxing ocean swim. Being such, the swimming pool is the main body of water to enjoy at this hotel and at times gets polluted with sun tan lotion, sand and the like. I'm not too sure the water is chlorinated either. There was no noticeable chlorine smell.

The rooms were beautiful however the weather is extremely humid so you end up sleeping on sheets that are damp and cold after your air conditioning unit beats on your bed for a few hours. Really uncomfortable.

The selection of food was good, however after a few days there, as with any other all inclusive, eating the same food over and over can be unappetizing. There were a lot of flies on the food--I would recommend this hotel look into covering all their food more for sanitation purposes than anything else.

Plenty of bottled water is supplied and as long as you monitor what you intake you should be okay. That being said, I was extremely careful of what I injested, I ate nothing raw(no fruits and veggies), avoided all meat and dairy products and even avoided alcoholic drinks and found myself falling ill on the last day at the resort on our way home.

It is not worth paying the thousand of dollars just to have to monitor what you injest all the time and end up with a disturbed stomach. I even had to take 3 days off work upon my return to fight off the malaise which i am still encountering (stomach cramps, loss of appetite and nausea). I spoke to many other travelers on the way back and at least 60-70% had some variation of Montezuma's revenge. Some were much worse than others. Some of the guests had to get several shots of antibiotics and were bed ridden on their trip. Not worth it if you ask me.

I have visited Cancun and Cuba and now Los Cabos and can honestly say this is the last time I plan to go to Mexico, if just for the fact that you have to be paranoid about what you injest and this ruins your enjoyment.

Los Cabos is also a very new resort location and it has limited entertainment for visitors and activities. If you want to go somewhere where you won't enjoy the beach, have to be paranoid about what you injest and don't need entertainment or day activiites, then Los Cabos is the place!

Sorry about the negativity of this review but it is very realistic.

Not for honey mooners, family with small children or single people.

• Liked — The Hotel Facilities, Location on Ocean Front, Service
  • Disliked — Food, Sanitation, Roughness of the Ocean
  • Tips/Secrets — Would not recommend Los Cabos as place to visit
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
9 Thank 1234qwer
Michigan
Reviewed August 30, 2006

This was our honeymoon and we were sick almost the whole time. The food and pool were so gross. The staff was very nice. I loved the downtown area. We spent all our time there. Cabo Wabo was so much fun. But the resort was terrible. I will go back to Cabo, but we WILL NOT go back the the RIU Palace. Please take all the advise you can get and don't do it.

Michigan

• Liked — The hotel was friendly.
  • Disliked — Dirty
8 Thank Maggie&Daisy
Orange County, CA
Reviewed August 29, 2006

Just got back from our first trip to Cabo! (Aug 24-28th)

We are a young married couple who had travelled many places before, and also live in a resort town in Southern California, so we know a beautiful place when see it!!

The RIU PALACE was everything we had imagined and then some!! For the price we paid for our trip (VERY inexpensive in our opinion) you definitely get your money's worth!!

CHECK IN: So easy. Everyone was very friendly, took no time at all, and they hand you your first of MANY complimentary drinks!

ROOM: Ok, so the first room we got was a "partial ocean view" with two double beds put together...no problem, go to the front desk, make friends with the staff, slip them a $10 bill and viola, a room upgrade. 3062 was our new FABULOUS room overlooking the fountains, pools, and ocean! Fully stocked bar, big king bed, nice sized bathroom....but who cares much about a room anyways, at this place you won't be spending much time indoors!!

THE GROUNDS: Everything was so beautiful and very well kept. The floors get a bit slippery with the humidity so be careful. The place is huge however you still have the charm of a quaint hotel. The staff remembers you (especially if you bring lots of $1 bills for tips), and you will start to notice a lot of familiar faces. We met some great couples during our stay and would see them at the pools, the bars, the restaurants...it started to feel like home (we didn't want to leave!!)

FOOD: Ok people, the food really isn't all that bad. I don't know why everyone loves to be so negative around here. If you break down our package it came to maybe $200 a night to stay there. Considering we would drink about $100 in beers and cocktails alone (haha), you're getting LOADS of great food for nothing! The Japanese restaurant was our favorite, and we also had so much fun at the buffet. Two words....chocolate fountain!! :-)

POOLS: The best!!! Picture floating around, Enya playing in the background (we thought this was funny), pina colada in hand, all while taking in the ocean view! It was heaven. It feels a bit college spring breaky when they start playing old school techno music but hey....if the party atmosphere isn't your thing head over to the other pool (the quiet side).

TIPS: * Bring lots of 1$ bills and 5$'s (tip, tip, tip)
* Go layout your towels around 9:00am and then take in breakfast, this way you have prime pool spot when you come back.
* Check out at least one night of the free entertainment downstairs....it's funny.
* Talk to people....it was so fun having other couples to party it up with!
* Bring some Pepto, that all inclusive drinking and eating can get to you!
* SMILE and RELAX....you are on VACATION!

You will love the RIU, we can't wait to go back!!

• Liked — All inclusive
33 Thank DimpleVT
London, Ontario
Reviewed August 29, 2006

The last couple of reviews seemed a little extreme in their comments so I thought I'd provide a more balanced review.
I found the hotel overall to be excellent. Our rooms were clean, little humidity odour and service was excellent.
The pool was a little grungy adjacent to the swim up bar but it is difficult to keep a pool clean when intoxicated individuals are dropping butts in the pool, urinating and covering the surface with suntan oil. The obvious solution is to stay away. There were multiple other options for obtaining drinks which did not require wading through a swamp.
The main pools were perfectly OK.
Food was an issue and although I saw a few concerns with flies I was more concerned with the handling of food by guests- picking stuff up and putting it back etc.
The hotel could do with a few lessons in proper carving technique. The server at the carvery, serving roast beef and lamb, etc. often hadn't a clue how to carve a piece of meat ( picture a blindfolded man with a machete and you might get the idea).
The made to order breakfast station was another issue. Raw ingredients tossed onto the surface of an already cooked omelette and folded in with minimal time to allow them to warm up, let alone cook.
The late night snacks were probably my biggest complaint- primarily left-overs from earlier meals- not what I expected.
Having stayed at Riu hotels in Playa del Carmen, I thought that, overall, this hotel was not up to the standards that I have come to expect from the RIU chain.
My agent talked me into this hotel, over the Presidente, on account of pricing- maybe I should have stayed with my original plan.

• Liked — Rooms were great
  • Disliked — Food options were rather repetative
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
12 Thank JedLeonard
toronto
Reviewed August 28, 2006

Stayed at the Riu Palace for one week in Aug 2006. I was a little worried after reading some of the previous reviews b-4 I left. No problems checking into the hotel, our room was ok view could have been better.

Wasn't impressed with the 40 min line up to make reservations for dinner & you can only book 2 reservations per day. Also another line up one day at the lobby front desk only to find out that they would not change travellers cheques for American money only Mexican, you had to go into town to a bank to get American money.

I was very careful with what I was eating & drinking & by the fourth day into my vacation started to feel sick & could no longer stomach the food or bottled water at this resort. Food was left out for hours at a time in warm weather covered in fly's & people would walk through & grab food after visiting the bathroom or coming from the pool dripping wet. I continued to feel ill after eating the food at the hotel. Upon my return from this vacation I still felt ill & had severe stomach pains.

While at the resort I continually heard of numerous guests getting sick & being seen by the docotor at the resort. Even on the way to the airport a guest infront of us on the bus started throwing up. Numerous guests at the airport complained of stomach pains.

Nice Hotel but not so nice when you don't feel well!

• Liked — ocean view from resort
  • Disliked — Food & amount of kids
9 Thank traveller9956
NY
Reviewed August 26, 2006

We were very disappointed with this hotel. Although hotel itself was clean, outdoor food buffets were extremely unsanitary and hotel tap water was NOT purified! We were sick for many days and so were many other people that we met at this hotel. Lunch buffet including dessert buffets were served outside with food left sitting there UNCOVERED for hours. Flies and insects were all over the food and serving stations which ruined our appetites. There were no other choices for lunch except for these insulting food conditions. The tiny pool with the swim up bar was not connected to the main pool, which made getting a drink during the day very inconvenient. The bathrooms in the pool area were very far from the pool and were not clean. They did not have air conditioning and flies and insects swarmed them. Restaurant dinner food was not good and did not taste fresh. There is NO late night food availalbe after 12:30 except for cold pizza (from lunch) and cold-cut sandwiches. It was extremely insulting! This hotel needs ALOT of improvement!

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — food
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay here- choose a hotel that has purified tap water
5 Thank mermaid3