“Not bad--but not great either!”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We stayed at the Riu Palace on our honeymoon from July 1 through July 8. Immediately we were given two impressions that would prove true throughout the week. First, the hotel and surroundings are very beautiful. Second, those little extra things that make your vacation memorable were missing. For instance, upon check-in: no champagne and no bellman. We carried our own bags to our rooms as did most other guests. Obviously, something that we could live without; but, too many sub-par items were present. This by far is not a horrible resort but with proper manangement and focus on the guests, it could be fabulous. You can't help getting the feeling that the management is skimping at every opportunity. The drinks are greatly absent of liquor. The food is mediocre at best. The staff, although friendly and hard-working, are too few. The entertainment, like the food, is repetitive. The bottomline, there are other resorts that provide better amenities for the same money.

Final word: if you go, do not go in the ocean even if it looks safe. We had one fatality in front of the hotel during our stay. The hotel does not guard the beach and you are very much on your own!

• Stayed: July 2006
19  Thank chillywilly977
Write a ReviewReviews (6,859)

Spanish Fork, Utah
Reviewed July 7, 2006

My hubsand amd I along with two other couples traveling with their families visited the Riu from July 1-6. Overall, our trip was a good experience, but there were a few small details that I would advise others to prepare for. I will break it down so it may be easier to understand.
APPEARANCE: I thought the resort was beautiful and very clean. I had read several other reviews, and agree with previous travelers who mentioned that the grounds and facilities are always being cleaned. There were fresh flowers in the lobby and they replaced them regularly which was a nice extra touch.
CHECK IN: We were able to check in quite easily. We did have to wait in the bar for about 10 minutes in order to get our room keys, but nothing that was an inconvenience. Our room was clean. The only things we noticed was that there were no towels and the mini bar hadn't been stocked. ( I left a small $3.00 tip in the room the next day and everything was generously stocked.)
FOOD: I was not too impressed by the food at the buffets. I agree with other travelers who stated that they had a hard time finding a clean table and the service was sporatic. Our only REAL complaint about our experience at the Riu was when we had reservations at the Japanese restaurant. They don't tell you when you book that the men are required to wear long pants and a shirt with sleeves to the restaurants. (Ladies can wear whatever they want-go figure!) Anyhow, there were several in our group that didn't have any long pants with them. We had eaten at the steakhouse the previous night (mediocre) and there wasn't a problem with them wearing shorts. However, when we tried to be seated, we were informed that we would not be served because there were members of our group wearing shorts. We tried to explain that no one had long pants, but they didn't care. I can completely understand them having a dress code, but the part that completely upset me was that the couple right behind us were seated right away. (Need I mention that he was wearing shorts.) I walked back in and talked to them and they did ask the man to leave, but only because they were afraid I would cause a scene. Anyhow, needless to say, it was a little disappointing, but not anything to ruin the trip.
DRINKS: I don't usually drink, but I did quite a bit on this trip and I found the bartenders and alcohol to be great! The drinks had plenty of alcohol and you have liquor dispensers in your room if you need even more.
Overall, I don't know that I will stay at the Riu again, but it was a great experience and a beautiful resort!

• Stayed: July 2006
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 6, 2006

I read a number of the reviews prior to leaving on vacation to get an idea of what to expect. First off, the Riu chain does not consider this one of their 5 star facilities, once at the hotel I picked up some of their literature and the properties that are 5 star are clearly designated. However, this does not detract from the wonderful place that this turned out to be.

I have read many of the reviews since my return and I have a hard time agreeing with many of them.

First, the food is fine. The main dining area which is buffet style serves both breakfast an lunch. Both meals were quite good and I never had any difficulties with the service. Both my wife and I found our servers to be polite and attentive to our needs. It is important to note that people's attitudes play a significant role and that at any given time there are several hundred people in the dining room and a constant stream of people leaving and arriving. This will naturally cause a slow down but never to the point that it became unreasonable. Most nights offered a good variety of foods to chose from and as many people have noted, breakfast was quite good.

We dined at 2 of the restaurants, Misaki (Japanese) and San Jose (Mexican). The food and service at Misaki were great and I would recommend that you make a point of eating there at least once. Our one negative experience was with San Jose, the food was mediocre at best and our server was unique (to be polite).

The rooms were spacious and clean and everything was fairly new given how recently the resort was built. On more than one occasion when we returned to our room after breakfast at around 9 am, the room was already being cleaned. Any requests made at the front desk were promplty dealt with. Both the check in and check out process were handled quickly with minimal fuss. After the flight and the travel to the hotel, it was nice to be in our room within 20 minutes of arriving at the resort. We had a wonderful view of the pool and ocean and a spacious balcony on which to enjoy the wonderful nights.

The pools, both the party and quieter one, were great. The water was usually quite warm given the warm weather and strong sun at this time of the year.

I was especially concerned in travelling to Mexico as we were travelling with our child for the first time. Without a doubt, we would gladly return and and would have minimal concerns. Parents travelling with kids may appreciate knowing that there is a doctor available 24 hrs a day, the room is stocked with bottled water and staff are quite friendly to kids and willing to accomodate. The staff at the mini club were also quite friendly and made the children's time there enjoyable.

As with many times in life, I think that we have more to do with the results that we receive than we would like to admit. Staff were always gracious and never appeared to expect a tip yet were always appreciative when given.

All in all, the Riu was a great vacation. I would have no hesitations in recommending this resort as an affordable, beautiful and all-around good place to stay.

29  Thank blade40
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 6, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Riu Palace for 4 nights at the end of June for our 10th wedding anniversary. We thought the resort was beautiful. Check-in was a breeze - greeted with a cold drink - my husband did tip the check-in man and he upgraded our room to oceanview. We were on the 3rd floor in the middle of the resort and the only downfall was that it was close to the nightly shows and therefore heard EVERYTHING. But it wasn't that big of a deal cuz we were on vacation and didn't go to bed at 10:00. Nor did we spend lots of time in our room at night.

Making reservations for dinner was not a problem - never had to wait in line and we got into a restaurant every night we were there except our anniversary night - which we choose to leave the resort and have a "special" dinner. Also, if you are not able to get into a restaurant keep checking back. We did and sometimes they would get a cancellation. I would not recommend the Mexican - not really mexican food - what's a corn smut???

Food was okay - maybe a little better than just okay. I loved the guacamole at breakfest lunch and dinner! We received great service not only in the restaurants but at the pool. We did tip here and there.

We rented a car at the airport - for only 60.00 for 5 days. Totally worth it. Although we did take a taxi at night when we went out. (Split it with another couple so it was only 5.00 each way.) Cabo got very crowded at night and then you have to worry about trying to find a place to park. But what we saved on the taxi from the airport payed for our rental. Had a great time at Cabo Wabo - older crowd, live band that was AWESOME!

On the beach in front of the hotel we rented jet-skis from Jose and had a blast. We also took the boat over to Lover's beach. A little tricky getting in and out of the boat. Still have a bruised knee from it all but worth it. The waves are pretty rough, but we are not big ocean swimmers so that didn't bother us - plus, they were great to hear crashing especially at night!

One night some vendors set up displays with all of the "mexican" jewelry at the hotel. These people were WAY overpriced. I have many of the same "silver" bracelets from Nogales, Mexico that I paid 5.00 for and they wanted 20.00. Funny.

Oh, and be sure to use the in room safe. We met some people that had some things stolen from their room.

Overall, I think this was a good place to stay. When we were trying to pick a place to stay we choose this one because the price was pretty comparable to others and we figured if the food wasn't great we could always go out to dinner in town and still be ahead by getting breakfast, lunch and drinks included during the day!

Stayed: June 2006
19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Tx
Reviewed July 5, 2006

The Riu Palace is a very nice, neat, clean hotel. Clean is important to me, particulary the floors. They were spotless and smooth, not gritty from sand or dirt. The hotel staff was nice and the grounds were beautiful. We stayed 5 nights, 6 days.

Check-in: Okay, we had a regular room reserved through AAvacations. I had heard about upgrading to a nicer view/suite, but not particulary smooth at it. After I asked for a possible upgrade, the guy at the front said they were all booked (not true) and asked to see my wallet. Being the dork I am, I handed him my ID and I'm pretty sure he meant "show me the money". Regardless, our room was better than expected wi/out the upgrade, so we were pleased.

Room: Very neat and clean. I asked for a king bed but got two full size beds pushed together. Not a big deal to us. The beds are hard but it didn't matter to us, we still slept quite comfortably, even with our normal pillow top beds at home. I didn't hear any outside noise as other reviews complained about, but I'm a pretty solid sleeper. My husband, only one night, heard partiers about 2 a.m. Loved the stock minibar and the liquor cabinet above. We tipped the maids about $2 a day and that seemed to please them, as our shoes were even straightened in the closet.

Pools: Very nice. Not cold at all. Being from Texas when pool water is at bath temperatures at the end of May, these pools felt WONDERFUL. Plenty of room to enjoy your own spot. The bar pool was nice, but enjoy it earlier in the day. We had chairs by one of the pools bars one day and the longer the day went by, you noticed no one left to use the toilets (eeeewwwh!). So we stayed out of the pool bars after 1:00. Oh, and be careful walking around the pools. Not only are the tiles around the pool H-O-T, but they are super slippery. I fell once almost doing the splits (btw, not one ounce of alcohol in me). Just fyi.

Beach: Los Cabos is not known for its beaches, but my husband and I both went swimming. Under-tow was not bad, just judge the waves right. The water felt awesome and I'm usually a scaredy-cat, but the water was great. When you go on the beach outside Riu Palace, you'll see several resorts out to the right with lots of people in the water. We walked over there and the water was a little less "agressive" and plenty easy to swim in. You'll see the people congreated out there, very fun indeed.

Food: If you have been to several all-inclusives like we have, the food is generally the same. There are your regular buffet restaurants along with your reservation only restaurants. The only frustrating thing about booking reservations is they only book from 11 a.m. to 4.pm and YOU HAVE TO STAND IN LINE AT THE BOOTH TO RESERVE THEM. We were upset that we got there on Wednesday, we were in line before 4:00 and they turned us away because it was past 4:00 before they reached us. So my husband got there before 11:00 on Thursday, only to find out that the restaurant we wanted to go to (the French gourmet restaurant) was booked until next Tuesday! Okay, we were leaving on Monday, not fair. So we ended up booking at the Japanese and the Steak Restaurant. Per my husband's words, "the only thing good at the steak restaurant was everything but the steak". He's picky, but I thought my ribeye was good. We liked the Japanese restaurant, mainly just the sushi rolls, soup, sake and green tea. The atmoshpere was great too, great Japanese gardening there. Perfect picture opportunity. The main courses were okay. We didn't get to eat at the other restaurants as those were booked past our stay. I didn't think that was right, but oh well.

Entertainment: It was entertaining. Not Broadway, but these people were very charosmatic and were quite funny. Get used to the "OY! OY!". After a while, you will be chanting with them.

Miscllaneous: Bring stronger than you normally woudl sunscreen! The temps are hot and the sun is strong! My husband and I are good tanners, but we both burned with 30 spf. I recommend 45 to 50 spf. Bring thermos for cold drinks, we forgot and our beers were cold within 5 minutes in those plastic glasse. If you smoke, bring matches. The matches are limtied at the Riu. If you go on a snorkeling adventure (we did the Paz Gato) to the Santa Maria Bay, be aware that you WILL get stung by jellyfish (althogh small) and bees come around the boat once it is anchored. The crew had vinegar spray on hand for all the jellyfish stings (the jellyfish were small, so don't freak out). The whole boat smelt like vinegar, but the vinegar did work and once you have a couple of beers in you, what jellyfish? The snorkeling was not that good, a little murky, but still worth it. They took us near Lover's Beach (by the arch) and we all went swimming. The water was cold but felt wonderul because it was so dang hot! We did a dinner cruise on the Sun Rider - awesome! I totally recommend, you'll see beautiful parts of the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific. Watch out for the Tequila shots towards the end of the boat ride! We didn't do them, but I felt pity for those who did. Stronger stomachs than me.

We went to Cabo Wabo. Overpriced drinks, but awesome atmosphere and nice rock n' roll. We got sick of hearing the Grease Lighning theme at the resort and other Cabo places, so Cabo Wabo music was a nice change. Try the Cabo Wabo blue Tequila drink - GOOD STUFF and worth the $6.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 4, 2006

We recently had a family stay at the RUI Palace in Cabo San Lucas Mexico... as the place is in a beautiful setting, the service & attitude of the hotel resort IS HORRIBLE. When we arrived, we were given a room that was extremely dirty & smelly. To make a long story short & adter MANY MANY complaints to the front desk, we finally made it in a room after seeing about 5 other rooms prior to our final stop. They did not comp us for any of the incoveniences we experienced & to be honest, for a hotel that is opened for less than 2 years, the place is beautiful, but it is not being taken care of properly. I would definitely recommend a trip to Cabo for anyone, but DO NOT stay at this hotel. Book your reservation at another resort.

5  Thank Michelle O
Little Ferry, NJ
Reviewed July 4, 2006

Was there from 6/26/06-7/3/06. We flew from NJ to Cabo, with two kids, 5 years old and 15 month old. We were tired but excited. We arrived at the RIU what a gorgeous place, here is when the diaster starts - right at check in. We went with another family - two kids also close in age with our kids. We get checked in to a room that was already occupied by somone - and they did this twice to me. My friends room was filthy, dirty and smelly.
They move us again, to a room that they say has a partial ocean view, yeah ok if you want to fall off the balcony to see anyting. So they moved us again. The room key is not working - fustrated, tired, sweaty and kids upset, hot and tired, they move us to the original room, which again they assured us was free and unoccupied................they must be drinking to much tequila - bc again it was occupied. Finally after flipping out they moved us to the fourth floor with a beautiful veiw - finally a little satisfied, Until I noticed that my vide camera was gone. In the mist of all the moves to room to room, i left my camera bag in one of the rooms. So they gave me a key to each room, me and my friend went to each room but the video camera is nowhere to be found. We started with the very last room they sent us too, when we went back the room smelled like cigarettes and none of us smoked. So i went to the front desk - where most of them don't understand a word of english, was crying bc the tape in the video camera had my daughters Pre K graduation on it. They did not care, they said that it was my fault bc i lost it, i didn't loose it, i left it in one of the rooms and someone took it. As I was at the front desk crying, three people came to the front desk complaining and flipping out that their safe was opened and money was mssing. Three people all at the same time. I couldn't believe it. I was very disappointed. They made a report that my video camera was stolen, they said they had security check on it but they were full of crap. I went to the front desk three days in a row to see if someone returned it - what was i thinking.

I don't want to drag this out, but for the money you pay it's not worth the stay. They are understaff and mismanaged. They don't know how to run the place. The pool is filthy, the entertainment stinks, and the food is ok. They have 5 restaruants, 4 out of the 5 you have to make reservations for. They give you a time frame to make the reservations 11am-4pm - who the hell wants to wait on a line for 45 minutes to make reservations for dinner - it's insane.
I have been to many all inclusive resorts 4 stars and 5 stars i have never encountered these problems. They have one waiter for each pool area to take your drink orders.
They considered entertainment one man and one women singing every night.

My advice to you all who want to travel to Mexico and want real Royal treatments. Check out[--------------]they are located in Cancun, Mexico, we have stayed there 3 times and no other resort can compare. The best experience for couples and families. The people there speak english, they don't take tips bc they are paid well. The have an entertainments staff of 6, with weekly theme shows everynight. They have activities at the pool everyday. Cooking classes by the pool once a week. You don't ever have to get up to get a drink. Only one restaurant you have to make reservations for and that is the Japanesse restaurant.

I had the worst experience at the RIU Palace and I will be sending the Corporate office a real nice letter.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member