Just got back from a few days at the Riu Palace in Cabo San Lucas. All in all, it was nearly perfect for what we needed -- some sun and relaxation in a beautiful setting and not a whole lot of rushing about or worrying about what things would cost.
The hotel is beautiful. The La Ventana bar off the lobby is about the prettiest place I know to watch the sun set over drinks, with the large 50-ft archway framing the bay beautifully.
The staff work very hard to help the guests and keep the place clean, and the guests don't exactly make that easy.
If you want the very best in food and wine, this probably isn't your place, as it relies heavily on buffet service and there's only so good that can get. Standard buffet strategy applies -- if you get there at the beginning of mealtime, it's considerably better than picking over the remains at the end.
My biggest quibble with the service has to be at mealtimes. The staff just did not seem to understand that they needed to square away drinks (coffee in the morning or wine later) right when people first sit down with their plates. Several times I was halfway or all the way through my meal looking around for coffee or jumping up to get it myself, which they then seemed dismayed by.
And I second the qualms with the reservation system -- our restaurants never seemed terribly full, yet they restricted how many people could get into each. We ate at the Steak House (ok) and the Mexican place (a little better than ok) and neither was very full. Perhaps the others were.
We also arranged a half-day kayak/snorkle excursion with Baja Wild through the vendor at the hotel. (The Three Bay tour). This was excellent! Our guides were great (Edgar is really funny the whole time) and they made the entire excursion really pleasant. We were surprised at how many beautiful fish there were mere yards from the beach. Next time, I'd try the full day excursion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the southern Baja California peninsula, 4.5 km/2.8 miles from Cabo San Lucas. 5-storey building. On the beachfront. Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. 32,000 m2 garden. 3.5 km/2.2 miles from downtown Cabo San Lucas. 40 km/25 miles from the airport. 500 m/1650 ft from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Diners, Discover ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Riu Palace Los Cabos
- Riu Cabo San Lucas
- Riu Los Cabos
- Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas Los Cabos