“Had A Blast At the Riu!”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed October 21, 2005

My boyfriend and I took our first vacation together and stayed at the RIU - Los Cabos, September 25th - 30th. We had an amazing time. Like many of the others that posted reviews, we had our concerns but we promised ourselves that we would not set our expectaions too high based on many of the negative reviews that we read. That was the best thing we could have done because we ended up having a blast! We met a lot of fun people from across the U.S. and have kept in touch with a few couples since getting back from our vacation. We would go back to the RIU again.

Overall Comments:

1.) The staff were very friendly and willing to assist us with any questions that we had. I suffered from a heat rash my second to last day at the resort. The on-site doctor saw me promptly, gave me a few shots for the discomfort, wrote me a perscription and the hotel even arranged for my medication to be delivered right to the hotel so I didn't have to try and find a pharmacy on my own! That's customer service in my book!!

2.) We ate at both the Steakhouse (the food was so-so) and the Japanese Restaurant (it was excellent, we highly recommend it!). Make sure to book your reservations for the restaurants as early as possible (like at 11 AM when they open). Another piece of advice, if you can't get in to the restaurant the nite you would like, take a chance and go to the restaurants host/hostess, they may have had a cancellation and you may be able to get in, it happened for us one nite.

3.) Drinks at the bar are pretty weak unless you ask for double alcohol. You can always doctor them a bit with the all-inclusive mini-bar in your room.

4.) The onsite disco was a little cheesy but was fun, a great place to wrap up your evening if you don't go into town.

5.) When you go into town, be sure to visit Cabo Wabo and El Squid Roe, a bit touristy but fun.

6.) Be sure to lock your valuables in the safe! Also, buy locks for your luggage so that you can lock your bags while you are out of the room. We had no problems with any items being taken from our room (perhaps it was because it was like Fort Knox!).

7.) The only disappointment that we had was the 24 hour snackss for the late nite munchies; they were pretty much non-existent. They had little tuna fish sandwiches in the bar off of the main lobby area..

Enjoy and we hope this review helps!

Jenn & Brad

• Stayed: September 2005
16  Thank miatagirl67
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

California
Reviewed October 21, 2005

We had a great time at the Riu Palace early this week... One thing I must say about it is that once you've been to one Riu, you been to them all. Is the same food, service and accomodations as the rest.
Food is good, the pools are excellent. The drinks aren't the best but they are ok. Some people are just very hard to please.
Would go back to the Riu... (although I would rather check out another resort) =)

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 20, 2005

First the bad, the representative from American Express Services at the hotel (Luis Cruz) stiffed us for our change (which he asked us to come back for in 20 minutes since he was trying to deal with 4 people at once) and and lied to us about free cabfare to the marina for our sunset cruise. When we returned to get our change and voucher, he was gone!!! My husband and I stayed at the Riu for 7 nights for our honeymoon and had a wonderful time. Our room was nice with a partial ocean view, which we were able to see the horserides along the beach every morning. Our room was cleaned everyday (sometimes even when we left the "do not disturb sign on). My only sugesstion is smile and tip people ($1 here and there goes a long way). Baja Wild (Lalo, our guide) is great for surfing and Caliente (Sports Bar in town) was excellent. Just go and enjoy yourself!!!!

7  Thank heatherella716
Colorado
Reviewed October 20, 2005

My wife and I visited the RIU Palace in Cabo and we were very impressed. The resort itself is beautiful and the food was quite good. You must realize that you are in Mexico and not the US and just try to enjoy yourselves. Some of the complaints in the reviews here are a little over the top (ants, flys? where can you go on this planet and not encounter these insects, come on, I'm sure there are flys at the Taj Mahal). Upon our arrival at the front desk we opened up a pamphlet (available right there in the lobby) to a photo of the resort and asked the clerk if we could have a room in a particular area (thank you to other reviewers). He complied with our request and gave us a few options. We settled for a room on the east side, top floor (4109 to be specific) and we could not have been happier. The beds are hard but we had no problem getting a good nights rest. Regarding the smell that some people have noticed, we took time to explore the entire resort and we did notice a smell in the hallways on the west side of the hotel (the Cabo side), I am not sure of the source of the smell however I would recommend that you request a room on the far opposite side, no smell there. As soon as we got to our room I noticed the reservation desk for the specialty restaraunts (we could see it below from our room) and there was no line so I quickly grabbed a beer and headed down to make our reservations. It took about 5 minutes including the walk down there. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I do not think that you will find a nicer all-inclusive in Cabo. You would probably have to be a guest of Sammy Hagar hisownself to have better accomodations. Every employee that we encountered was friendly and helpful and we will visit other RIU resorts in the future (there are so many why go to the same one more than once?). We really have no complaints and highly recommend this place.

27  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 20, 2005

Washington, DC--Just Ok, never again.
My wife and I went to the Riu for our 1 year aniversary on Oct 8-15. We read the reviews so we expected some areas of the hotel to not be perfect. First the hotel is beautiful, the pools are nice (although the quiet side is better). The beach is ok (rock rocky sand), and the Sea of Cortes is wonderfully warm and great to swim in instead of the freezing pool water.

We found the service to be great. That could be because we didn't act like arrogant Americans who are annoyed when the help doesn't speak English fluently. Guess what, you are in Mexico, not the US. In Mexico the official language is Spanish.

The rooms are very nice, marble throughout, I found the beds to be just fine. The location of the hotel is ideal; located with a terrific view of the famous rock archs, and in walking distance to downtown Cabo (that is if you are not a fat obese guest who perfers to taxi everywhere). My wife and I walked to the city down the beach. The entertainment at the Riu was very good actually. A lot of fun to have drinks served to you while you enjoy live entertainment.

Hotel: The drinks were ok, the food was pretty Bad. I was disappointed with the food, because last year my wife and I went to Secrets Capri in Playa del Carmen (all INclusive) and the food was tremendous compared to the recycled garbage they serve at the Riu. By the 3rd day, I was sick of eating the nasty food. The only OK restaurants are the Japanese and the Gourment. I stress they are ok, but after eating the other junk, this was like a taste of heaven.

The reservation thing is very annoying, but Riu obvisoulsy does it so they can limit their costs, by limiting the number of availabe reservations the force those who did get one to eat at the buffet room. Breakfast, lunch and dinner at the buffet was ok (a lot of recycled food from the previous day). I could barely stand it, but had no other choice.

I will never go back to a Riu, and they are everywhere around the world. Had a nice trip, but will never do another all inclusive for a long time. There are a lot of obese people drinking in the pool in their tiny swimsuits; all the more reason not to go to an all inclusive.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 19, 2005

My boyfriend and I went to Los Cabos from Oct 13-18. I can't wait to go back. Having traveled many places, Los Cabos is by far one of the best and the Riu Palace had a lot to do w/ my decision. The staff is wonderful, so kind and helpful. They are all very easy to understand and speak very good english.
The rooms: Many complain about the beds being too hard. I loved the beds and I had the best night sleep on them. Excellent for bad backs, bad for wanting to jump around on them so I didn't mind the firmness.

Drinks: not the best but I did not go to Mexico for the drinks. Stick w/ beer or frozen drinks. Our favorite is the Miami Vice 1/2 pina colada and 1/2 strawberry daq. Yum!

Food: Again, I didn't go to Mexico to an all-inclusive thinking I was getting the best food. But it definately surpassed my expectations. Make reservations when you arrive. I highly recommend Sir Lawrence.

Overall, the location is ideal. It's a quick 10 minute, 10 dollar taxi ride which many guests share together. The hotels that were right in town didn't impress me much anyways. The pool activities were fun. At night,the staff put on different theme shows and have guests join in the fun which most of the time was hysterical. For a young couple from NY NY we were so happy we chose the Riu Palace. It truly was our best vacation. I believe anyone who rags on this place just had a little bad luck b/c there's really nothing I could complain about or change. But travelers, keep in mind, you're going to a different country and can not expect the exact type of service you'd get in a 4/5 star hotel in the US. We went for relaxation anyway, we didn't really care about the quickness of our food, drinks or maid service. (even tho it was always there when we needed it) ~Just go w/t he flow, sit back & relax! Yes, this' long but I hope helpful. Go to the Riu!!

35  Thank luv22travel
Reviewed October 19, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the RIU Hotel Cabo San Lucas from October 8-15. This was an experience to remember. The faults mostly were to blame because of Apple Vacations, but the we also had problems at the hotel.

We flew USA 3000 which is an Apple Vacation airline, and we had terrible service from the flight attendants. Then we had a terrible Apple Representative designated to the RIU hotel. During a meeting he had for the new arrivals he did not have enough handouts about the different excursions available. When we asked him when he would have more he told us he wouldn't. The representative was also never available at his desk during his working hours, and we went off and made arrangements through American Express instead. He must have found out about this because everytime we saw him after this he was not happy to see us.

The hotel was very nice, but I have the same complaints as the last woman who wrote on here. The bed was hard, fountain drinks are flat, cocktails are weak, and the food is very repetative. The entertainment each night is pretty good, some nights were better than others.

Another bad experience we had with the RIU was the people at the front desk. Boy are they rude, and I speak Spanish. The first night there we were told to tell them that we were honeymooners and they would give us an upgrade of some sort. Well, that didn't happen, and they laughed in our face! Then, we wanted the lock for our safe, and they told us they were out. So, if you are staying there don't plan on bringing any valuables. Luckily, the next day we got a lock for the safe. Very lucky for us because during the next few days we had a few things mysteriously dissapear from our room. We reported this, and they weren't very concerned. However, the items were returned to the room by the end of the day. That doesn't say too much for their housekeeping staff!

Finally, just want to mention that the restaurant staff is very friendly and they try their best to accomodate your every need. The pools are beautiful, and so is the view from the Jr. Ocean St. I'm not saying it was a terrible experience, but I expected a lot more from Apple and from most of the staff at the RIU.

11  Thank Sunshine607