“Awesome Property, service, people! Great Location! Go and check it out!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Dallas, Texas
“Awesome Property, service, people! Great Location! Go and check it out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

My wife & I vacationed here 7/8-7/15 and really enjoyed almost everything about this property. Now that we've marked this place off our list I would strongly recommend it to anyone. I'll try my best to be honest and fair with this review.
Check in & 1st Impression: Very quick check in with nice refreshing drinks. The entrance and the lobby of this place are very nice. It sits just in front of the Riu Santa Fe's check in (also a nice place). The Santa Fe's entire property actually wraps around the Palace to one side and it just feels like a HUGE RIU COMPOUND.
Rooms/Service: I gave the young lady @ checkin a generous tip and she arranged to have us upgraded to a top floor ocean / lands end / pool view that was awesome. Room #4111 was very clean, fully stocked, AC was working great! They re-stocked everything daily, always used fresh linens, and all the staff always had a welcoming smile. No complaints here.
Pool/Bars: In all reality this place has something for everyone. The Riu's always do it right. Seems like what ever is on one side of the property is on the other. One is for totally relaxing and the other has activities, more drinking, more movement. Lots of pool space for whatever you feel like doing. The bar tenders & entertainment staff make the whole experience even better. They are all great but I need to mention "Uvaldo" this guy is awesome. Totally knows what and how to handle all types of crowds. It really helps if you tip. I did notice a few rude americans, they basically were treated just like they were treating the staff. If you run into this type of treatment or attitude then you probably are the reason. These people have seen it all and you are no better than anyone else who's on vacation. Remember they are serving you food & drink and you would not want to make a negative impression with people who have that kind of access.
Food/Shows/Property:
The whole reservation thing is somewhat annoying and I only say that because the food really does not back up the time involved. Yes you can wake up early and make reservations but we just always found ourselves having these reservations and regreting that we did. For example; Reservation for the Steakhouse/ 6:30pm, we are in the pool talking to cool new friends and we're in the mix (Cabo in full effect) then you remember that you have to go and eat at a particular time and BAM (BUZZKILL). Got to go back to room, shower, Iron, get ready for a meal that probably is no better than the buffet food. Really, the buffets are fully stocked with all kinds of food. A couple of times we skipped our reservations, me & whoevers husband would jump out of the pool and go to the buffets and prepare plates loaded with all the good food and then bring it and eat it poolside/chairs and continue on with our fun socializing. The ladies were happy, we were happy and the good times kept rolling. Maybe a couple nights of a nice quiet dinner for you & your spouse is good enough but you're in Cabo so live it up!
This place does try its best with nightly themed shows and they are fun to watch, they property club "PACHA" is a nice touch and fun only when its packed. One night it was packed and lots of fun the next we poked out heads in and maybe 10 people? The property is top notch. Lots of nice landscape, very clean, easy access to bathrooms, amazing views.
Beach / extra stuf:
The beach is awesome. Waves are powerful, fellas make sure and tie your shorts tight & ladies think twice about getting in there with a string bikini. The sand is not like Cancuns, kinda rough. The whole getting on the water taxi thing is true, you have to time it right or else you get clobbered (fun to watch). We went parasailing (BLAST - go on the one with the HUGE blue/white Corona logo). I negotiated them down to $60 for both of us, took to the SUNSET CRUISE($90-both) over & around lands end (must do with your spouse). They provided drinks, great fajitas & fun music and of course the breath taking views and experience. We also went on the Wild Extreme Ziplining tour. 8 platforms, 1 tarzan swing, Rock climbing, repelling (100ft), crazy bridgecross(like Indiana Jones) $180-both. Awesome experience! I was sooo pround of my wife because she did great on these tours. We of course went to Cabo Wabo (4x's-great food) & Squid Roe. Both places were cool however it seemed like all the locals(young people) went to Squid Roe and dominated the place. You must go to a hole in the wall Piano Bar "Legends". We met the owner who is a very nice, talented Canadian woman who is trying to get her little business going. One night we hung out with her and her staff & friends & had a great time singing old american / mexican classics all the while recruiting people to come in and spend some of their time / $$$. Great times.
Overall this place was awesome for us. Our whole Cabo experience was something we will never forget. Like with anything, it is what it is and what YOU make of it! Have a blast and VIVA MEXICO!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank VivaDallas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,549)
  • Polish first
Mount Sinai, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

I often read reviews on Trip Advisor to help me plan my vacations, but this is actually the first time I'm writing a review.

We stayed at the Riu Palace which overall was a nice stay, but what made this trip amazing, was the town itself!! But I'll get to that later on in my review. As for the resort, the grounds are beautiful and highly well-maintained, the views are breathtaking, and the pools are very nice and relaxing! The rooms were standard, nothing fancy, but not terrible by any means. My biggest complaint with the room was the safe to secure your valuable belongings. It was a very out-dated safe, with a key and block lock. It wasn't an electrical safe where you get to select a personal pin. So we didn't use it, but had no problems keeping our valuables in our suitcases. Our biggest complaint at the resort was the food! The Mexican restaurant was by far the worst, the morning and lunch buffets were so-so, (the best buffet was the dinner one), but Krystal, the Fusion restaurant was very good,,,hard to get a reservation there..we got in our last night. So if you're a big food person in terms of quality, the Riu Palace isn't the best bet. And for all you gym people,,,fyi..the gym at the Palace is terrible!! It's small and has very old equipment. Best part of the gym is the view.

Staying at the Palace enabled us to use the sister resort, the Santa Fe, which had nice grounds as well with a more party-like pool atmosphere..definitely more high-energy and louder than the pools at the Palace. We were happy we didn't stay at the Santa Fe, but were able to use it.

And now for the best part......CABO!!!! Luckily for us, my husband is a HUGE Yankees fan, and their home opener was our first full day while we were in Cabo. So he wanted to try and watch some of the game at a sports bar downtown. Unfortunately, the game wasn't being televised down there, but the good part is that we were already downtown, and got to explore the city and see what it's all about....AND IT WAS A BLAST!! The marina has so many great restaurants with live music and extremely reasonable food and drink specials. It was so much fun to walk around and try out so many different places. The nightlife was great! We went to Squid Roe and the Giggling Marlin, which were like partying back in our college days and went to Cabo Wabo, where Sammy was on stage that night. So we ended up going back downtown for most of the week because we really fell in love with it! The Palace was only a 5 minute cab ride away so it was very convenient. Once we experienced downtown, it took care of the poor food situation at the resort because we ended up eating out quite often..so we spent a lot more money outside of our all-incl. package, but it was so worth it! We are big sushi fans and had a wonderful meal at Nick Sans,,a must for sushi lovers! We also spent a day at Mendano Beach and went to the Office for drinks and food,,,what a great place,,one of our favorites! We went to Nikki Beach, which was nice, but not nearly as good as the one in South Beach.

You have to go to Lover's Beach! Best bet is to pay $10 a person and take a water taxi from the resort. We did that in addition to paying $100 for the 2 of us to do a tour excursion and it wasn't nearly as good as the one from the resort. The sea lions are smelly, but the famous Arch is a beautiful sight!

So to sum it all up...Cabo is a great party place! So much fun with lots to do! We absolutely loved the town and can't wait to go back! We're hoping to even buy some property or a least a timeshare sometime in the future.

Would I recommend the Palace to others, yes...for the location to downtown, the beauty and cleanliness of the resort and the absolutely gorgeous views. But again, if your priority is the food,,then I would not recommend the Palace.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LIdiva
calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

The hotel alone is worth the visit--glorious, huge Moorish arches grace restaurants and bars overlooking the Sea of Cortez. Whoever designed the place really decided to create the atmosphere of a palace, and it is a tremendous place.
My family was completely overwhelmed by the wonderful service we received in every situation--from Oscar at the front desk, to Ulises in the lounge, to the inimitable Cesar in the main dining room. These people love their jobs, and provided efficient service with a flair. They made our one-week stay simply splendid, going the extra mile to make sure that we were comfortable. Staff greeted and assisted us wherever we went. Taxis were called instantly, drinks arrived immediately and as ordered, food was served quickly and efficiently.
Speaking of food, we were able to make reservations at all four specialty restaurants, and were really pampered in each. These are top-notch gourmet dining experiences, again enhanced by knowledgeable, courteous staff. I could not believe how pleasant the main buffet was too, with dozens of staff, beautifully prepared meals, and several extras each night, like the wonderfu; seafood stir-fry we had Friday evening. The food was nothing short of remarkable.
In short, if you want to feel extremely pampered and looked after, choose the Riu Palace. We took side trips to the marina, going para-sailing, snorkeling, and sailing, but could easily have the spent the week safely behind the gates of the palace, enjoying a beautiful glimpse into Mexican hospitality.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank robodada
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

We stayed at the Riu Santa Fe (my husband, I and two kids 9 and 6) I wasn't so crazy about the hotel in the begining because I found myself very hungry with nothing that looked appetizing. Then realized you have to make sure you book in advance to the restaraunts to enjoy a nice meal. I have to say we were impressed with the Mexican and Steak House restaurants. The location of the resort was beautiful. Great view of the ocean. My kids had no real desire to swim in the ocean, since we live in Southern California and have great access to our beaches here. The many pools were more than sufficient for them.
I had an hour facial and hour full body massage at the spa and enjoyed it. It wasn't a high end luxurious spa that we are used to in the states but, it was a nice way to wind down and enjoy a vacation.
The entertainment group was great. The dancers were great and my kids enjoyed the shows every evening. Many people I spoke on vacation also noticed, like myself the cleanliness of the resort. Because of the swine scare. The employees were constantly cleaning and desanitizing everywhere. Mainly I noticed handled bars and hand rails. I have to say I was impressed by that and felt a bit more secured by seeing that. And it doesn't hurt to carry your purell around either.
The sand was very coarse on the beach took a while to get used to. Overall nice vacation. Also, this is a FAMILY RESORT. If you don't have kids and don't like them, make sure you book at the Riu Palace next door. This resort is great for families, not honeymooners!!

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank justrelax1977
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

Traveled to the Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas July 4, 2009-July 11, 2009. Had a great time! Not really sure where the people who wrote bad reviews were staying because that was not at all our experience! The service was great, we constantly had people asking if we needed drinks or anything else. The rooms were very clean, housekeeping was constantly cleaning everything, even the hallway walls. We tried out all the restaurants and the food was great at all of them. Yes, you have to get up about 7:30 am to make a reservation, but suck it up and do it then go back to bed if you have to. If you choose to stick with the buffets they were just as good. There was a huge variety and the fruit was especially fresh and delicious! Also took advantage of the gym and the spa. The gym had quite a bit of equipment for a hotel and the massage at the spa was wonderful. There were 4 pools with 2 swim up bars and they were beautiful and refreshing. I expected to walk over to the pool bars to get drinks, but was pleasantly surprised to find out they have people walking around constantly making sure you have a drink if you want one. The entertainment group was also awesome. (ROBBY!) The hotel is within a 10 minute cab ride to the main marina and other wonderful things (cabo dolphins) and the hotel staff got us a cab within minutes each time. Overall, we had pretty much the best travel experience EVER and would love to go back, and would ONLY stay at the Riu Palace again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank ecb3588
london ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

My fiance and I were married here at the Riu on July 3 2009. I must say we went through an awful lot to get here having our flights cancelled twice earlier in May due to H1N1 but it was I feel well worth the wait.

The resort is so well maintained and absolutely spotless in cleanliness.
Staff are extremely friendly and always smiling ...the only staff we had an issue with was the front desk who semed not to understand too much English especially the day of the wedding when it was 5 mins befoe the wedding and 6 phone calls to front desk and a visit by my dad and complaints x2 by the groom and my 2 sons because we had no flowers yet...no bridal bouquet or corsages or boutonnieres. NOT a good way to begin the ceremony and I was nonetheless quite upset by the time the flowers came and i was to walk down the aisle...a hug from Daniela (wedding co-ordinator) helped but at the same time I almost lost it and broke down from the stress.

Food....pretty good most of the time...buffet was getting a litlle boring near the end of our stay but there definitely was a lot to choose from.
STEAKHOUSE----steak was really yummy and our waiter...whom I forget his name...was the BEST! ................................................Always smiling and doing tricks for us.
KRYSTAL.................................................Again steak was really good and the sauce they put on the steak is very tasty but be careful it does have a little after effect...LOL
Nice relaxing music and very elegant

Rooms.....our biggest complaint really....most of the rooms are musty smelling...some more than others...our sons stayed in Room 2175 and it was horrible as I believe most of them are on that side of the building....they had gigantic wasps outside their balcony door the size of a bird.

The first couple of days there were pretty good as far as the flies go but after the third day the flies were really annoying and made staying down at the pool almost impossible if you werent in the water
And try to eat dinner outside with flies around...thyey literally stuck to you like glue.

We all took a trip to Lovers Beach via water taxi....very tricky and scary trying to get in and off the boat before the waves come and carry the boat out again....you literally have seconds to board.
But if you mamage to get to the Lovers Beach...well worth it to see the rock formations and the seals and of course the famous ARCH

We did the Dolphin Swim.....a definite must...so relaxing and its right by the marina so you can check out the flea markets and other restaurants along the harbor
The guys did the ATV TOUR and had a blast although they said even with the bandanas and goggloes it gets pretty dusty and they give you water but it looked like bottles that were just refilled so better take your own
The guys went to Cabo Wabo and had a great time...said it was very nice and a lot of fun

Took a taxi in to check out the Wal Mart centre...sounds pretty silly to go visit a Wal Mart when you are visiting Cabo but there are some little shops there as well...not cheap and although Wal Mart prices are good there was not a lot to choose from...better to buy at the flea market where you can at least barter with them a little bit

The Renova Spa...the lady that did everyone's hair for my wedding was incredible and did a fantastic job!

The entertainment I thought was pretty good other than the last night...

My younger son was a participant in most of the shows ...such a ham! Also known as Archie to those at the resort.

I can honestly say we could not have picked a better location for our wedding...the background for our pictures,,,the ceremony...the fantastic minister...a most beautiful memory!
Everything was worth the wait and Iwe will return to the Riu again sson.....maybe our first anniversary!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank depn66
saskatoon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

For an all inclusive I though the hotel was good , better food than the Riu Palace Cancun ( except for the room service and after hours food ). My only major complaint was that we were unable to go in the ocean because of the surf. The beach is also difficult to walk on because of the incline and loose sand. We had several in our party hurt (cuts, scrapes and bruises)when the water taxi to Lovers Beach tried to load our entire group into the boat in waist high water in very rough conditions. Make sure you charter the boat with a ladder or make them take you out on the Seadoos when conditions are rough. Several members of our party were loaded by being dragged over the side because they would have been sucked out by the undertow otherwise .There was also a member of our group hurled against the rocks by huge waves at Lovers beach. Re other excursions-The pirate cruise was also not great ,,lots of booze alright but claimed to be a dinner cruise and patrons only recieved cut up wieners on a stick and had to share one nacho bowl for 125 persons.
So in summary- nice hotel , great ocean views but not for beach lovers.

• Stayed June 2009