Just returned from a 6 day stay at the RIU in Cabo and I LOVED it!! I had read some bad reviews before I left--and I was scared. However, the RIU was a wonderful place and I will return. I took my mother for her Mother's Day trip and the 2 of us just soaked up the sun and enjoyed the gorgeous views from the infinity pool. Here are a few tips of you are planning on going to Cabo or the RIU.
1. RENT A CAR ONLINE BEFORE YOU GO. We rented from Payless online and paid $11.50 per day. We had a Dodge Neon. They will try to sell you the "extra" insurance for $14 additional per day-but we did not need it. Just check with your car insurance provider before you leave and find out what is covered when you rent a car. Taxis are $10 wach way to Cabo and a shuttle from the airport is about $50 per couple. Do the math. Rent a car and drive into Cabo (about a 10 minute drive) 10 times per day if you want. DON"T BE SCARED TO DRIVE IN MEXICO. It was safe and there is only 1 road (Highway1) so you can't get lost. Rent a car and you will have much more freedom and fun.
2. Eat at THE OFFICE ON THE BEACH. Cool restaurant and bar directly on hte beach. Just ask how to get there. There is parking available. It will cost $20 per couple to get there and back by taxi--so this is where the rental car is a neccessity.
3. TAKE A SUNSET CRUISE TO LAND'S END. Or, you can catch a water taxi for about $10 each. My mother disn't want to climb into the small boat because the current is strong and there are BIG waves. So, we took the pirate ship sunset cruise that leaves from the marina. Once again, a $20 cab ride to the marina if you don't rent a car. You can book the cruise at the Apple Vacations table in the lobby.
4. There is FREE parking at the Pueto Paraiso Mall (You can't miss the mall-it is just about all there is in Cabo) Just look for the signs. We parked there and ate at Ruth's Chris after the sunset cruise.
5. EAT AT LORENZLLIOS. It is on the marina and it is FABULOUS! We had crab claws, oysters, lobster... You can't get good seafood at the RIU. Take your money and go eat a GREAT seafood meal while you are on holiday. We spent about $200US for 2 of us and we had salad, apps, entrees, wine, dessert and cappucchino. YUMMY!
6. The food at RIU is good. Breakfast is best. Lunch in the little restaurant beside the pool on the left (as you are looking at the ocean) is the best. It was NEVER busy and the VIEW is GREAT. Go there and skip the main buffett for lunch.
7. The "gourmet" restaurants ----. We ate at the steak place and could not even cut the meat. Just like shoe leather. You are best off skipping the long lines for the reservations and just eat the buffett or go to Cabo for some good seafood at night. I know you will be tempted to get in the line, BUT DON'T. Sit by the pool.
8. As far a the "rednecks" and "drunks" someone wrote about...I have NO idea where they were!! The pool was quiet and very relaxing while I was there. However, I did not hang out in the swim-up bar pool. I just read my book and watched the parasailers and the cruise ships. It was great.
9. Be sure to tip a dollar here and there. Tip a waiter on the first day and then look for his section the rest of hte week and you will be fine.
10. have fun--I will be headed back to the RIU in September. The location is GREAT because it is so close to town. All of the other hotels (in the corridor) are at least 25 minutes from downtown. You are best off staying at the Rui and being close to all of the attractions.
Have Fun. I sure did.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the southern Baja California peninsula, 4.5 km/2.8 miles from Cabo San Lucas. 5-storey building. On the beachfront. Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. 32,000 m2 garden. 3.5 km/2.2 miles from downtown Cabo San Lucas. 40 km/25 miles from the airport. 500 m/1650 ft from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, RIU Hotels and Resorts, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Riu Palace Los Cabos
- Riu Cabo San Lucas
- Riu Los Cabos
- Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas Los Cabos