I don't know why TripAdvisor posted the "Beautiful Resort" review from a member from Phoenix AZ. This person wrote the review April 1 of a trip taken in February. Most of the issues brought up in this review have been resolved.
My wife and I stayed there last week (3/28-4/2). We found the place meticulously appointed and expertly maintained with a huge staff that goes well out of their way to fuss over you. The place is enormous and problems can arise but I found the staff able dealt with them.
Every morning a different cruise ship stopped by Cabo and each night we slept with the patio door open hearing only the sound of waves and later in the night, dolphins. On the first night there was a full moon over the water that was just enchanting. We did get a whiff of sewage a few times but I would hardy call this 'third world' as a previous review wrote.
Our friends have boys ranging from 11-14 and although there were activities for them during the day, this resort could use a big recreation room with lots of free games. They have a few video games but they are expensive to play. Consequently, there are lots of kids running around the hotel, especially at night. Word has it they serve those kids who look old enough and who have figured out that they can turn their wristbands inside out, from red (underage) to white.
The internet cafe loans laptops and you could get a wireless connection on the adjoining patio for $4.00 for 20 minutes. I met a guy who brought his own and sat outside the Internet Cafe and connected for free. This was before their staff arrived in the morning, however. No internet hook ups in the rooms, but hey, no one there was on a business trip!
The weather was just perfect. 80-85' during the day and 60-65' at night. The east pool was heated to about 100' the first 2 days we were there then it cooled off to about 90'. I think they forgot and left the heating system on for a few days. The west pool, which was in front of our window was about 80'. The west pool is the quiet pool. No music or dance lessons and annoying, repetitive salsa music. My complaint is there are no bathroom facilities at the pools. You have to walk over to one side of the covered buffet area and they wont let you in if you are shoeless. This is a problem as the pool is loaded with kids and you know they wont bother. So yes, they use lots of chemicals to clean the pools!
The dinners were very nice. We ate at the buffet most nights as reservations were tough to get at the tiny specialty restaurants. We did get in to the steak house twice though other's reservations so we didn't have to stand in line for the usual hour or more. We ate in the outdoor patio as the buffet area was usually noisy and had a mess hall/school cafeteria ambiance. Our waiter, Edgar fussed all over us and on our last night we walked to his area to find he had reserved a table for the six of us with appropriate drinks in all the right places! The desserts are wonderful looking and plentiful but they all taste stale. My wife thought they might be all kept together and uncovered.
You can bargain in town but I believe you are limited once the vendors see your Riu wristband.
See pictures at my web site:
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the southern Baja California peninsula, 4.5 km/2.8 miles from Cabo San Lucas. 5-storey building. On the beachfront. Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. 32,000 m2 garden. 3.5 km/2.2 miles from downtown Cabo San Lucas. 40 km/25 miles from the airport. 500 m/1650 ft from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Diners, Discover ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Agoda, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Riu Palace Los Cabos
- Riu Cabo San Lucas
- Riu Los Cabos
- Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas Los Cabos