“Loved the Riu!!”

Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #33 of 73 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed March 19, 2005

Just came back from March break at the Rui. What a beautiful hotel!!! Had some problems with service in the beginning but Management is aware of this complaint and made huge improvments by mid week. My only complaint was that there was no food after 10:30....only some questionable sandwiches. They claim to have 24 hour food but that was simply not the case. First time staying at a Riu.....not a quality or standard that I haven't received at any other hotel group. Cabo is great and I would recommend the Riu....things will only continue to get better as they work out the kinks of being a new hotel.

12  Thank Gina H
Write a ReviewReviews (7,014)

Reviewed March 18, 2005

We just came back from 5 days at the RIU (March 12th - 17th). There were 3 couples. I must admit we were extremely worried after reading the negative comments. We went totally sceptical and expecting the worst. I must say we were very pleasantly surprised.

The Hotel and Resort are HUGE and very beautiful. It was the nicest resort we've ever stayed at. Beautiful room, beautiful grounds and beautiful view.

The service, for the most part, was excellent. Every member of the staff was extremely kind and eager to please. They were very appreciative of tips, but did not expect them. They were nice and helpful whether or not we tipped, but I do recommend tipping. It's common courtesy.

The food was excellent no matter where we ate. We ate at all the specialty restaurants, and had the Buffet on 1 night. All were great. The Reservation system was kind of a pain, but they have improved since now it's from 6 to 8 pm versus in the morning. We did find, though that the only restaurant you really need to stand in line for was the gourmet restaurant since it books up the fastest. All the others we waited until around 6:30 when the line died down and were able to get late seating on all of them without a problem. Earlier seatings booked up, but we preferred the late seating anyways.

The Maid service was OK. She didn't do anything spectacular, but the rooms were cleaned daily and that's all we asked for. The mini bar was also stocked daily. No problem with theft at all, but we did utilize the safe for our valuables.

I didn't see any bees at all the entire time we were there. The staff was always eager to please, always coming around asking if we wanted another drink, etc.

The disco was also a lot of fun. The DJ will play whatever the crowd wants and it actually did fill up by around midnight.

The Entertainment needs improvement, but they do try. It is a new hotel, so I'm sure it will improve.

I've been to a few other Mexican cities (Ensenada, Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cancun), I must say that Cabo was the cleanest and friendliest Mexican city I've ever been too. All the locals are very nice and helpful. The Merchants aren't rude like other places I've been into.

All in all, I would give the RIU a 9.5 out of 10. The only improvements I think it needs is nightly entertainment. So, go and enjoy yourself! Don't worry about the negative comments. Either those people are extremely picky or the RIU has changed dramatically. I consider myself a very picky vacationer and I thought it was awesome!!!!

29  Thank RobtNAnna
Reviewed March 16, 2005

Our family (with 2 children - 3 1/2 and 8 mos) stayed at the Riu from February 28th to March 7th in a suite. We had a wonderful week all in all -- here are some notes:

On the suites: We booked a suite because the description led us to believe that it would have a separate bedroom (therefore we could put our children in a separate area to sleep), but this was not the case. The "separate living area" refers to two steps which separate the living and bedroom area. Although the suite was a nice size (double a room), had windows on two sides, a fabulous view and great jacuzzi tub, it wasn't what we expected. If going again, I think we'd just get a junior suite.

On amenities for kids: Here are the things I wanted to know for travelling with kids... The pools were very warm, and they did have a limited amount of area where the kids could wade, but it is not a wading pool where you can relax and let your kids hang out while you sit on the side. Although our children are too young for the kids club, we met people whose kids were going and the staff seemed great and made a real connection with the kids. Wherever we went, staff gave our children a warm welcome. There are highchairs available in every restaurant. The cribs they provide in the room are like an oversized pack and play. They also brought in a single bed for my son (a proper bed, not a cot). The earliest dinner sitting in the booked restaurants is 6:30, so by the end of the week, we developed a strategy of feeding our 3 yr old at the snack buffet (between the pools) at around 5:30 if we were going to one of the more formal restaurants. After dinner, we went a few times to the kids' disco which was fun for them.

Restaurants: We went to all 4 restaurants, and surprisingly, the Japanese was our favourite. It has been noted that the bookings for restaurants now takes place the night before. We found the buffets to be of great quality. In particular, the salad bars for lunchtime hit the spot.

All in all, it is a beautiful setting, and the hotel itself is beautiful. Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2005
30  Thank AVAJ
A TripAdvisor Member
Union City, California
Reviewed March 15, 2005

We just returned from 5 days at Riu, it was beautiful!! My husband and I have stayed all over Cabo San Lucas looking for just the right place and found it in Riu. We had booked the Ocean suite and during check in we asked for a really good room and that being said we had probably one of the best rooms at Riu 0025, it had a wonderful view of Lands End. I can't speak in regards to the dinners as we went with another couple who had never been to Cabo and wanted to eat out most nights. The breakfast and lunch buffets were a lot better than average (as I have read in previous posts). It is just like any other buffet it is always going to be at it's best early or as they are changing items out. You must go to the spa the massages are probably one of the best I have ever had. Ask for Lulu or Adiana. Drinks were very good and very strong the best part being if you want it stronger just ask and they will be happy to help you. I read in posts that people were afraid they would have things stolen from their rooms, this is no different than at any other hotel in Mexico or the US for that matter. We had no problems and our laptop was placed in a drawer the entire time. The beer, water & soda's was stocked daily in our mini-bar. I think the initial people who stay early on had to deal with the new hotel (which can also happen anywhere) and then you get some people who are never happy and look for problems. It was a great vacation and we are going back in October and we WILL be staying at Riu

36  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 14, 2005

Me and my husband just returned from Cabo (Mar.7-14) and stayed at the Riu Palace...granted we got an awsome deal and thought we couldn't go wrong with a five star place for such a great price.

The resort itself is in a word Palatial, it's huge! The rooms were very well appointed, granite, grohe, even your own personal alcohol dispensers and a fully stocked mini bar. We had a room on the East side of the resort on the 4th floor overlooking the dunes and ocean, it was extremely quiet...beware the rooms near the disco or in the central portion of the hotel overlooking the pools and ocean...I heard those rooms were very noisy!

The reservation system for dinner has been modified... it now opens at 6pm and closes at 8pm...this of course means the line up for dinner reservations starts at 4-4:30pm now...we grumbled about it the first day and then sucked it up, brought our cards or book, and settled in for 'social hour'...hey, by that time in the day you're totally scorched and ready for a relaxing social hour in line! Don't forget to grab a cervaza...and make some new friends!

Town is great, the taxi ride is $10 US (100 pesos) one way...which really isn't that bad, you can also grab a water taxi on the beach (talk to Jose) for the same price or sometimes better if you sweet talk him! We found it to be no problem to get on the water taxi when the seas were relatively calm...although I would not recommend it if you're dressed for dinner!!!

Would highly recommend 'Cafe Dorian' for dinner, it's right along the harbour front sandwiched in between and host of other restaurants...I had the fresh tuna with a soy ginger sauce...a little taste of heaven!!

Make sure not to miss Lover's Beach either....it's cheaper and faster for you to grab a water taxi from the beach ($10/person return)...take along your towels, camera, and some drinks and snacks...after a nice tour they'll drop you off and ask when you'd like to be picked up (always on time!). Spend a few hours there....if you go in the morning it's virtually deserted...wonderful!!!

If you're looking for an intimate adults only resort, the Riu Palace is not for you....lots of kids and lots of people! Regardless, we had a great time...after all a vacation is what you make it...roll with the punches and quit complaining! Enjoy the sun, the beer, the new friends, and eachother!

B&C, Calgary AB

P.S.- The west pool swim up bar is the place to party...(stay away from the activity pool if you want and peace and quiet) and don't forget to tip (hey, what's 20 pesos...)
P.P.S - You always get a better deal if you pay in pesos...so forget those American Dollars at home!

25  Thank MisplacedHawaiian
A TripAdvisor Member
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed March 14, 2005

My husband and I went with 4 other couples, and it was our first time at an all-inclusive. We've been to Cabo in the past (Melia San Lucas last year) and although the Melia is nice, the Riu is sensational! Everything was very clean, new (opened in Dec. 2004), "nice." We were never at want for anything; food, drinks, service, entertainment. I would highly recommend the Riu to anyone wanting an all-inclusive resort that is fairly near town.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 13, 2005

My Husband and Myself just returned from the Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas.
March5-12th. We flew out of Toronto-Skyservice. The flight was 5hrs.Two movies on the flight.They did serve a hot breakfast,as usual for skyservice flights.Return flight 4hrs one movie,hot lunch.When we arrived at the airport,we were greeted by a TransCabo Shuttle service,for $30.00total to the Riu. We do not take the free bus arranged through the tour company Sunquest. The drive was about 30min. When we arrived at the hotel it was not busy and we were handed a envelope with our room cards #2134,keys to safe and towel cards. We were shown how to get to our room. We did request a quiet room 3rd floor. She told us that the hotel was booked. Our room was a Junior Suite, ocean view facing the activity pool. It was not quiet,but the entertainment at night was kinda loud,but did not bother us. The room is nice. We had a king size bed- firm mattress. Large bathroom.Hair dryer,hand cream, conditioner and soap dispenser in shower. iron and ironing board.
Frig in room-Corona bottle beer,Pepsi,Diet Pepsi,7-up, Orange Soda,Club soda small and big bottles of water.Smirnoff Vodka,Barcardi Rum,Tequila and whisky. Our maid had our room made up by at least 1pm everyday. Plenty of towels.Frig restocked everyday.
Two large pools and one with a swim up bar. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas.Pool warm, air kinda chilly all the time we were there. People did save chairs,no big deal.They had alot of activites around the pool and beach,for adults and kids. The beach is nice. Unable to swim because of the under tow.Plenty of chairs. Small amount of vendors on the beach.We did walk down towards some of the beach bars,about a 2 1/2 mile walk.
Breakfast was a buffet. Lunch was a buffet and sit down in the mexican restaurant. Dinner was theme night buffet and you had to make reservations for the specialty restaurants. Now you have to make them at 6pm outside of the main buffet restaurant.The line started one day at 4pm. Sir Lawrence was the only one we tried. It was really good. We only ate there twice. The weather was cool in the morning and very cool in the evening. I would recomend bringing a coat or sweater.
My Husband golfed at The Raven. $88 US. $33 for club rental.You book this at front desk.
We did the whale watching tour through Sun Rider Adventure. $55Per Person. Three hour open bar,Large lunch buffett. We did see a family of whales.The Sunquest rep at the Hotel was excellant-White female Blond hair-I did not get her name.
We did the Baja off road desert racing. It was kinda expensive,but worth it.
This tour was with Wide Open Tour Company.
We went into Cabo San Lucas a few times. Took the bus 6pesos per person or $1US for two. We got on at the entrance of the Riu and they let us off in town. We caught the return bus same price at the Main Mall,I think its called Paridiso Mall.
We went to the Cabo Wabo bar,check out the gift shop at the rear of the bar.
If you need to call home purchase the phone cards $10 US-20 min at the front desk. You can call from your room,but they will charge you a $1.
Do not purchase from the gift shop,because you will not be able to use it from the hotel room,only a pay phone and they do not have one on the property.
The gift shop is a Joke. Everthing is so high priced. USA Today Paper .75Cents They charge $3.00.....

It was a very relaxing vacation would recomend this hotel. Its a Riu. Expect everything a Riu is.

30  Thank Stonecold