“Unswimable beach”

Ranked #32 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Toronto
“Unswimable beach”
Reviewed February 20, 2005

Just returned home from one week at the Riu Palace, Los Cabos. While they have done everything up beautifully to ensure that you have a wonderful view of the ocean from your room and the pool areas. one still cannot swim in the ocean due to the severe undertow. My friend waded to her knees and was flung out and rolled by the undertow! I was afriad that I wouldn't be able to reach her before she was pulled back in. It is also very difficult to walk the beach due to the type of sand. You sink with each step. The food was excellant, staff friendly and helpful if you could find someone. There seemed to be a lack of people serving and the ones that were there worked VERY hard.
Overall, it is a great hotel with a great view. Not our favorite vacation spot.

8 Thank nanootoronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,607)
  • Polish first
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2005

Just arrived home last night from the Riu.... I would love to give this hotel a 5 star rating because the hotel itself is beautiful.. However, BEWARE of theft. It happend TWICE to our travelling companions... We had asked to have our rooms changed as we did not get an ocean view, so the hotel asked us to have our luggage ready in our rooms and check back after lunch to get our new rooms. We finally got in our rooms around 4:00 pm. staring unpacking, and my friends purse was stolen with all her idenfication, credit cards, etc... We ended up spending several hours filing a report and cancelling credit cards. If that wasn't enough, two days later $600.00 American dollars was stolen from their room.... UNBELIEVABLE.
The hotel staff didn't really seem to care...Not even an apology... It wwas very disappointing. SO BEWARE AND BE SURE TO USE YOUR SAFE AND ALSO BE SURE TO CHECK THAT YOUR ROOM DOOR IS CLOSED WHEN LEAVING.. It doesn't always shut tightly.
These two incidents did put a "damper" on our holiday.
As far as the hotel goes... the rooms are clean and beautiful... the beds a little hard. The food was good, not excellent. The pools were warm and the view was great.. Couldn't swim in the ocean. Too rough and cold. Went on a sunset cruise which was great... The guys went " wave running" and loved it. They also went golfing. The town of Cabo is fun and great for shopping. The weather was Hot during the day and cool in the evenings. Definitely bring a sweater, jacket and long pants. Just remember, be VERY careful with any valuables... don't trust anyone.. A real shame it has to be that way, because it can really ruin a good thing.

• Stayed February 2005
30 Thank whitey19
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2005

I agree with the previous reviewer...we also stayed at the Riu Feb 7-14. Other than the weather, the trip was excellent. The staff went out of their way to be helpful. Booking our trip with Sunquest was a piece of cake, and everything went smoothly. The taxi drivers made things a bit difficult on our departure but we got to the airport in plenty of time. We did find the weather the coolest of any Mexican area we have visited, so bring a couple of sweaters and pants, you may need them for the evenings.
The beach was gorgeous even though you can't go swimming in it. Someone said the sand was so harsh you couldn't walk on it or it would kill your feet. They must be pretty sensitive. We walked barefoot all the way to Cabo one day which takes about an hour, and took a bus back for 6 pesos. The walk was lovely.
All in all, the Riu will give you excellent value for your money. Go...and have a great time!

• Stayed January 2005
17 Thank donmonson
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 18, 2005

We have just returned from a week at the Riu. Feb 5-12., we are confirmed cruisers i.e. Carnival and found the Riu to be almost the equal of a cruise ship.. The buffet meals were better than most cruise ships, the quality, diversity and quantity were excellent. The a la carte meals need some improvement but certainly nothing that would make us stay away from the resort. We were concerned about a numbere of factors when we read some of the previous comments but I can assure any of you that the drinks were plentiful, my wife thinks i should start serving mojitoes on a regular basis , the bees were non existent, certainly no more than I would have in my yard in Hamilton when we are having a summer barbecue and the service was excellent. English posed a problem on a couple of occasions but when both people try, we ended up having a mutual laugh and got more help than we bargained for. We found all the staff to be helpful and went beyond the call of duty, especially the entertainment staff. There were twenty of us and I can truthfully say no-one had a criticism of the staff.. Beds were firm, but no more so than a good mattress and box spring should be and hall noise was non existent. We did find Cabo to be expensive in town but it is an area that is growing verly quickly and I am sure will find a happy medium in the near future. Our only disappointmet is the beach, you can not swim at the hotel, we went to lovers beach and while it is beautiful swimming is iffy at best . If you are thinking of going to the Riu keep in mind the facilities are breathtaking, the beach is poor, but the staff are great. We will not give up cruising but if we take another land vacation the Riu will be the standard to live up to.

• Stayed February 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2005

We stayed at the Riu Feb. 7 - 14, it is the most beautiful resort I've ever seen!! From the vast, extravagant architecture, (it's about the size of Buckingham Palace), to the attentiveness of the staff; I would definitely give this wonderful resort a 10!! The hotel has 642 rooms, 5 bars, a disco, an entertainment lounge, an internet room, jewelry store, tobacco shop etc. etc. Not to mention four a la carte restaurants and a buffet. We only ate at two of the restaurants, the Mexican and the Japanese. We thoroughly enjoyed both of them. I've seen many of the complaints about having to make reservations the same day for the restaurants, but we didn't find it to be all that much of a hassle. The reason they do it that way is because each one (aside from the steakhouse) only seats about 80 people. When the hotel is at full capacity it accomodates 1200 to 1500 people!!! If they didn't control admission to the restaurants somehow, they would have a stampede on their hands every night. We were just as happy with the quality of food at the buffet, so it didn't bother us a bit to eat there the rest of the time. We had an awesome vacation, we left our maid $2 every day and we came back to the room to find flowers, towel animals, a fully stocked mini bar and of course a spotless room. As far as which bar to spend most of your time at, I would recommend one of the two bars in the entertainment lounge. Benjamin is most definitely up on his game, any drink you can think of he knows how to do it right, (a dollar or two now and then helps alot :) I don't recommend taking a water taxi right from the hotel though, it's a bit sketchy hopping onto one there as the rip tide is fierce. Just walk down the beach about ten minutes, the water's alot calmer and far easier to get on and off of the boat as you have to pull yourself up on the bow in a really big hurry. My only complaints were that the pools are a little to warm, we just didn't find them refreshing to jump into after laying in the hot sun. The other complaint was that the shower temperature flucuates from comfortable to almost scalding hot. That happens alot in big hotels, you just have to start off with a cooler shower and then it won't hurt you when it gets hotter. Pretty minor issues, but relevant. I can't believe all of the things people found to complain about, we couldn't find anything. I suppose maybe they could use more staff when the resort's at full capacity, but other than that I would say it is a wonderful place to relax and be treated like royalty. When you're there you are, after all, in a PALACE!!!

21 Thank Dragon
Jackson MI
Reviewed February 17, 2005

Just returned from the Riu Cabo on February 11th. I was traveling with a small group of 23 people. I read many many reviews since this resort opened. I was pretty worried. I was going to be responsible for the happiness of all of my traveing companions, because "I" chose this resort.
I must tell you, I was pleasantly suprised! Actually, I was truly delighted!
I found the resort itself to be absolutely beautiful. The decor was first class. The Lobby was breath taking. The Pool area was great, nice heated pool, was needed for our early Febrauary arrival. The entertaintment staff and childrens programs staff, were TOP NOTCH, best I've encountered.They made it a point to envolve the kids in a wide varity of activities, shows, mini-disco, etc. The hotel staff was by far, the most accommodating I have ever experienced. I feel they are doing their very best to assure you have an enjoyable stay. The hotel was very accessible for guests in wheelchairs, as was the staff dealing with guests with dissabilities. The hotel was immaculte, the staff cleaned continuously. The rooms were very nicly appointed. The food was above average for an all inclusive. I have been to several Mexican all inclusives (Melias, Palace Resorts, Sierras etc.) and rarely expect the food to be great, most are less than average. The buffet was the best I have ever experienced. Top shelf liquors were a nice touch. Drinks were good. Have the bartenders be creative, have a Dirty Monkey for something different, I liked the Ernest Hemmingways myself. This is a super resort!! Don't be worried about the Riu Cabo San Lucas, just keep an open mind and enjoy your stay. Be objective about the reviews you read, and remember there are people that just can not be pleased. A few notes about Cabo in general, the venders do very little negotiating and getting around is pretty expensive ($10.00usd to Cabo, $20.00usd to the Corrider , $40.00usd to Airport each way). Take advantage of the reduced rates offered for this year. My guess is, it will not be so afordable next year.

23 Thank cwttravelagent
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 16, 2005

Spent two weeks at this beautiful resort Jan.29 - Feb. 12th. Weather was not great which is not the fault of the Riu. Lots of rain and the hotel is not constructed for rainy weather. There was water pouring out of light fixtures and 2 inches of water in the hallways. Beware of the seafood. 3 of our party of 4 became violently ill and spent 2 days in their rooms. We are beach people and you cannot swim in the ocean in front of the Riu which was a big disappointment. The pools are excellent - lots of lounges available. Bring earplugs unless you don't mind the banging doors. The beds are very comfortable. Service was good. There is actually too many service personnel in and out of rooms. One day, while recuperating from ? food poisoning, I answered the door 4 times to staff checking that the room was made up, checking the mini bar, changing batteries in the electronic door opener and someone bringing more bath towels - we already had 6!!. Overall, we enjoyed our trip but probably wouldn't return to Los Cabos - too cool in the a.m. and evening. Bring long pants and sweathers to wear after the sun goes down.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#41 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!